Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Archives

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 55 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-08-10, 11:35 PM
All Ohio

Br. Joe
Larry Sheehe of the Sun News once again follows the Eagles with a thorough rundown, this time of the championship:

Quote:
St. Edward High School football team wins 'historic' state title
By Larry Sheehe

CANTON — The wait is over.

Sixty-one years of pent-up frustration was released last Saturday night when St. Edward High School capped a perfect (15-0) season with a hold-on-to-your-seats 35-28 comeback win over suburban Dayton’s Huber Heights Wayne High School (11-4) and its magnificent Ohio State bound quarterback, Braxton Miller, to capture Ohio’s Division I State football championship at cold and snowy Fawcett Field before a crowd of 9,316 onlookers, about two thirds of whom appeared to be wearing Green and Gold.

Forty state championship banners currently hang from the ceiling of the Main Gym of the Lakewood Catholic School founded by the Holy Cross Fathers of Notre Dame, Indiana. But none have ever been raised for football, despite three previous appearances by the Eagles in the title game. When banner No. 41 is hoisted, it will be on behalf of not just this Eagle team but on behalf of every St. Edward player who ever donned pads, cleats and a helmet.

Following the return by Eagle senior Phil Smith of the opening kickoff to his own 41-yardline, St. Ed’s senior quarterback, Kevin Burke, put together an 18-play scoring drive that consumed the first eight and a half minutes of the first quarter and ended with Eagle senior tailback Reggie Terrell scoring on a one-yard run.

On 16 of those 18 plays the Eagles played smash-mouth football and ran the ball behind their powerful and major-college-bound offensive line of Brandon Jackson, Geoff Mogus (Northwestern), Trent Rivera (University of Pennsylvania), Tyler Orlosky and Kyle Kalis (The Ohio State University).

But the Eagles’ 7-0 lead was short-lived, as Miller quickly showed everyone why he is the top-rated prep quarterback prospect in America. The 6-3, 200-pound senior, a four-year starter for the Warriors, has the complete package, including the arm strength to make any throw on the field and the ability to throw on the run with precision. While alternating his passes with the power running of (5-11, 210) Warrior senior running back Anthone Taylor, Miller needed just eight plays and 3:22 to move Wayne 79 yards and tie the game.

Displaying a blink-and-you’ll-miss-it release and laser-like accuracy, Miller attempted and completed three passes for 33 yards, and reduced the St. Edward fans to stunned silence with a 17-yard TD run up the middle of the field on the last play of the first quarter. In the process he eluded the grasp of every would-be tackler and prompted some comparisons to former Cleveland Browns’ running back Eric Metcalf with his hop-step running style and sixth gear explosiveness.

The teams traded punts throughout an otherwise unremarkable second quarter and entered halftime tied at 7-7. Following a kickoff return by its junior running back, Jordan Morgan, Wayne and Miller began the third quarter at the Warrior 31-yard line.

Displaying the quick-strike ability of a cobra, Miller, on the fifth play of the drive, rifled a slant pass to his streaking senior flanker, Seth Stuart, for a 57-yard TD and a 14-7 lead barely two minutes into the quarter. After Wayne’s defense stymied any semblance of any Eagle response, Miller struck again. His 22-yard touchdown pass to junior split end Marshall Peterson on the sixth play of a 61-yard drive, came with 5:58 remaining in the third quarter, and for the first time all year, the Eagles were looking up at a 21-7 deficit.

“I wasn’t worried at all,” Burke would say after the contest. “We’d been in this type of situation before — not down by this much, obviously — and I kept telling the offensive line and the offensive players ‘there’s no score right now. It’s 0-0 and we’re not losing by two (touchdowns).’ I think that helped them because we went out and played the way I think we should play, the way that we played all year. And I wasn’t worried at all. It was just a matter of heart and how much dedication we had to winning this game. I go back to the three-a-day practices we had at John Carroll University and all the hard work we put in and I reminded those guys, ‘What is it going to be worth? Are you going to cry tears of sorrow at the end of the game because you put in all that work and you came up with nothing? Or are you going to cry tears of joy?’ Obviously, we chose the latter.”

The Eagles responded with a nine-play 73-yard scoring drive that culminated with Burke connecting with a wide-open Patrick Barry Jr., on a 10-yard TD pass. It was the first touchdown of the year for Barry, a 6-3, 200-pound possession receiver who has seen little playing time this season.

“Pat never gave up on himself,” said Eagle coach Rick Finotti. “Pat never gave up on the team. He never once called to complain about his playing time. He just waited and waited. We would always see each other, Pat and I. ‘Wait for your time, Pat,’ I’d tell him. ‘It’s coming. Wait for your time.’ In Week 14 he’s probably thinking, ‘That darn coach is full of it because I’ve never got my time.’ Well, you know what? In Week 15 his time came and he caught the touchdown pass and I’m real proud of Pat Barry and what he was able to persevere through.”

On the first play of Wayne’s following possession, Miller attempted a sideline pass to Stuart, but Eagle senior linebacker Avery Bailey, who has committed to a football scholarship at Ball State, smelled it coming and made an interception that he returned to the Wayne 18-yard line. Two plays later, Terrell Bates, the Eagles senior tailback and co-captain, broke a 15-yard TD run to tie the score at 21-21.

“Avery’s been doing that all year,” said Finotti. “He’s a smart football player, he understands tendencies and he gets better as the game goes on. He read Braxton’s shoulders and was able to jump the route, make the interception and take it down deep into their territory. And we were able to score off that, so that — to me — was the momentum changer. I know it was still a see-saw battle, but, to me, that was the play defensively that really ignited everybody. Braxton’s a great player but he can make a mistake once in a while.”

Energized, the St. Ed’s defense forced a Wayne punt. The touchback gave the Eagles possession at their twenty, where Burke proceeded to show that he wasn’t simply “the other quarterback.”

After Bates ripped off a 12-yard run, Burke, who completed nine of 13 passes for 89 yards and led all rushers in the contest with 130 yards on 15 carries, broke out of the pocket on a bootleg and scrambled for 59 yards to the Warrior nine. It took him two more plays, but he collected the remaining nine yards himself, scoring on a six-yard sweep around the right end. Rock-steady Eagle kicker Mike Dinunzio’s PAT was good, but it was wiped away by a holding penalty. His subsequent attempt, from 39 yards away in the swirling snow, was no good.

The Eagles had a 27-21 lead but there was 9:53 remaining in the contest and Miller was going to get the ball. Miller responded with an 81-yard march that wiped more than seven minutes off the game clock. He scored on a two-yard run, giving Wayne a 28-27 lead.

St. Edward senior fullback Ryan Giachetti returned the following kickoff to St. Ed’s 40-yard line, where, with 2:28 remaining, Burke and his teammates played like they had the Warriors just where they wanted them. With Bates pounding the run and Burke completing three passes to three different receivers for 37 yards, the Eagle offense drove 60 yards in 56 seconds. Bates, who gained 106 yards on 21 carries, scored his second TD of the contest on a 17-yard run and Burke completed a two-point conversion pass to junior wide receiver Quincy Jones to provide the Eagles with a 35-28 lead.

“I didn’t want to look at the scoreboard,” said Burke. “It didn’t matter to me. What mattered to me was once we stepped on the field we were going to score and I had complete confidence in our offense that we were going to get it done. We run the two-minute drill all the time in practice and we’re looking at (the St. Edward) defense which is the best defense in Ohio by far and I think it helps us out a lot when we go against the best and they go against the best. And, you know, the fact that we got it done, I’m not surprised at all. I’m excited, I’m happy and I’m not surprised at all that we achieved what we achieved.”

The game clock read 1:26 when the dangerous Miller started Wayne’s final possession at his own 31-yard line following a Dinunzio squib-kickoff. The Wayne QB immediately connected with Peterson on a 14-yard completion, but St. Ed’s senior defensive end, Deonte Gibson, sacked him for a 10-yard loss on the following play and the Warriors were out of timeouts.

“I felt like I had to make some type of play to stop (Miller),” said Gibson, who will be playing his college football for the University of Pittsburgh. “We knew he wasn’t going to try to run for 80 yards and pick up a score. We knew he was going to stay in the pocket a little bit longer, so it was going to be a definite pass. So, I widened out a little bit and used my speed. It pretty much just got me there. I had to work hard to make a big play, but we needed a big play to win this game, so I made sure I stepped up at that time.”

Miller actually completed a 50-yard strike on the following play but it was ruled incomplete because his receiver’s foot was on the sideline at the moment of the catch. Two plays later, under intense pressure from Eagle junior defensive tackle Tom Lally, Miller threw a desperation pass that was intercepted by senior defensive back Cory Blackstock, giving the Eagles the ball, the win and the long-awaited title.

“On behalf of my football team, we’re proud to be state champions,” said Finotti. “We’ve been waiting 61 years at the school for a shot and we’re bringing home the trophy to Lakewood, Ohio. I know these players, particularly Kevin and Deonte, are proud of that. We talk about the family that St. Edward is. Kevin had a brother that played here before. Deonte had a brother that played here before. They’re probably most proud of bringing that home and being able to share that with all the players that came before them wearing the Green and Gold. It’s truly a blessing and an honor to be in this situation.”
(Link)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-10, 08:38 AM
All Yappi

Steel Valley FB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Thanks! And thank goodness we did not have to play your team in the playoffs.

Good one, EF!
Old 12-10-10, 10:43 AM
All Ohio

Br. Joe
Eleven minutes of championship-game highlights from ScoutingOhio.com:

( )
Old 12-10-10, 01:09 PM
Junior Varsity

SCPanther76 is on a distinguished road
Just doesn't get old , does it? Every time Pat Berry scores on 4th down I feeling jumping out of my chair. BTW If you live on the West Side, GPS Gift Gallery on Center Ridge/Rocky River has a ton of State Championship Shirts, hats , sweatshirts etc.
Old 12-10-10, 02:59 PM
All American

slammer20 is on a distinguished road
It was worth the plane ticket into CLEVELAND from DC for the title game. As an old captain ('80 team), this game...these young men, chased away many years of frustration for the entire St. Edward community.

Go Eagles!
Old 12-10-10, 03:22 PM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
Is there going to be a DVD of the highlites of the Ed's season, including the state title game in its entirety? If so, I can imagine it being the gift of the season for all Edsmen.
Old 12-10-10, 08:31 PM
All Ohio

edssports is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
Is there going to be a DVD of the highlites of the Ed's season, including the state title game in its entirety? If so, I can imagine it being the gift of the season for all Edsmen.
You should see the black strip video, it is very good, watched it with my son yesterday. I will try and see if i can get a link.
Old 12-11-10, 12:05 AM
All Yappi

Metacomet is on a distinguished road
What does St. Edward's 2011 schedule look like? Any openings?
Old 12-11-10, 04:58 AM
All Ohio

edssports is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metacomet View Post
What does St. Edward's 2011 schedule look like? Any openings?
This is what is posted so far. Looks like week 1, 4, 6, open or not yet updated.

Saturday 9/3 2:00PM @ Penn Hills Senior High School Event Info
Saturday 9/10 7:00PM vs. CARDINAL MOONEY Event Info
Saturday 9/24 7:00PM vs. CINCINNATI ELDER Event Info
Friday 10/7 7:30PM vs. St. Francis De Sales -Columbus Event Info
Saturday 10/15 2:00PM @ ST. XAVIER Event Info
Saturday 10/22 2:00PM vs. ARCHBISHOP MOELLER Event Info
Saturday 10/29 7:00PM vs. ST. IGNATIUS HIGH SCHOOL
Old 12-11-10, 07:47 AM
Fan of Eagle

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
So Benedictine will be off schedule for first time in 20 years?
Old 12-11-10, 09:14 AM
All Ohio

Br. Joe
Here's a nice recap of the championship game in photos from Gary Housteau of Bucknuts, with a natural heavy emphasis on Braxton Miller and Kyle Kalis:

http://bucknuts.com/index.php/bucknu...-wayne-28.html

Tells the story of the game from top to bottom.
Old 12-11-10, 10:50 AM
All Region

sehs73 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by edssports View Post
This is what is posted so far. Looks like week 1, 4, 6, open or not yet updated.

Saturday 9/3 2:00PM @ Penn Hills Senior High School Event Info
Saturday 9/10 7:00PM vs. CARDINAL MOONEY Event Info
Saturday 9/24 7:00PM vs. CINCINNATI ELDER Event Info
Friday 10/7 7:30PM vs. St. Francis De Sales -Columbus Event Info
Saturday 10/15 2:00PM @ ST. XAVIER Event Info
Saturday 10/22 2:00PM vs. ARCHBISHOP MOELLER Event Info
Saturday 10/29 7:00PM vs. ST. IGNATIUS HIGH SCHOOL
I'm glad were still with the GCL South. I'd love it if we could just formally join that conference or sign 10 year deals with those teams. I love that conference. Makes us a lot better playing those quality teams. Put Iggy in that mix as well and that would be five decent programs.
Old 12-12-10, 04:52 PM
All American

CuriousGeorge1 is on a distinguished road
CB-Phil Smith gave a verbal commitment to Brown University.

LB- Don Pavlov picked up a Notre Dame College offer.

I'm really interested to see where Brandon Jackson ends up signing.
Old 12-12-10, 08:10 PM
Varsity

hsfbscout is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGeorge1 View Post
CB-Phil Smith gave a verbal commitment to Brown University.

LB- Don Pavlov picked up a Notre Dame College offer.

I'm really interested to see where Brandon Jackson ends up signing.
My guess for Jackson will be Ball St. along with Bailey. Unless Jackson gets a larger offer before signing day. Cant believe Pavlov hasn't got a few more offers. He had a he_ _ of a season. He may not be the best athlete, but he is very good and has great work ethic,toughness, and stability. Great player for a college roster that will push starters and great depth for a team.
Old 12-13-10, 08:39 AM
All Yappi

Edge86 is on a distinguished road
What league is Notre Dame College in? What Division are they?
Old 12-13-10, 09:08 AM
All Yappi

On a different note: Congratulations to St. Edward's Darlington Nagbe 08' who helped lead Akron to its very first National Title in defeating Louisville, Kentucky 1-0 in Division I College Soccer. #1 ranked Louisville went into the National Championship game undefeated and had to face Akron who had only one loss on the season. The Eagles Nagbe is one of the best college soccer players in the country.
Old 12-13-10, 09:28 AM
All Ohio

WarriorDee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge86 View Post
What league is Notre Dame College in? What Division are they?
They were NAIA. Now:"In 2009-10, Notre Dame is competing as a Candidacy Year-One institution in the NCAA-II membership process." So it looks as though they are en route to becoming NCAA D-II, an interesting development that may make it harder for schools like JCU,BW and CWRU to compete for some of the local talent that stays local upon graduation.

I wonder if Alex D'Angelo has any offers or interest brewing in him as of yet?
Old 12-13-10, 10:12 AM
War Room

GencoEd is on a distinguished road
So I watched the game again this weekend .....and if you listen closely during the Bailey interception, you can hear the Ed's coaches up in the box pounding on the desk (I'm assuming it's the Ed's coaches).

Also, lots of pancakes in that second half by the oline....and one by Bates on the long Burke run that led to the score to cut the lead to 21-14.
Old 12-14-10, 11:04 AM
All Yappi

Yappi,

Time to send this thread to the Yappi Archives since JazzyJeff started a new St. Edward thread.

Last edited by Edge86; 12-14-10 at 11:17 AM..
Old 12-14-10, 11:28 AM
All Yappi

Lakewood St. Edward (15-0) 2010 Ohio State Division I Champions

W, 35-28 vs. Mentor (7-4)
W, 65-25 vs. Penn Hills, PA (5-4)
W, 37-3 at Cardinal Mooney (8-5)
W, 38-6 vs. Inkster, MI (2-7)
W, 20-3 at Cincinnati Elder (4-6)
W, 45-0 vs. Cleveland Benedictine (2-8)
W, 62-0 at Columbus St. Francis DeSales (5-6)
W, 20-3 vs. Cincinnati St. Xavier (7-5)
W, 31-7 at Archbishop Moeller (7-4)
W, 33-10 at Cleveland St. Ignatius (4-6)
W, 35-21 vs. Mentor (7-4)
W, 42-22 vs. Cleveland Glenville (11-1) at Parma Byers
W, 42-14 vs. Solon (12-1) at Parma Byers
W, 23-13 vs. Toledo Whitmer (12-2) at Massillon (Paul Brown Stadium)
W, 35-28 vs. Huber Heights Wayne (11-4) at Canton (Fawcett Stadum)

Last edited by Edge86; 12-14-10 at 11:45 AM..
Old 12-14-10, 11:40 AM
War Room

GencoEd is on a distinguished road
Go Eagles!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: