Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Moeller Crusaders

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-04-17, 10:43 AM
All Ohio

bluengoldblinders is on a distinguished road
Blow this thing up

this article is so telling:

Check out this article from The Cincinnati Enquirer:

Colerain High School pummels Moeller High School 45-0 in first round of Ohio high school football playoffs

http://cin.ci/2A87IhQ

I would like an honest to God autopsy report on the true status of this football program, because there is no way you canít say major changes are not needed.

If this coaching staff returns as it is, I just wouldnít know what to say.

Injuries aside, this is an embarrassing program.

I donít want to pile on, but I would like an honest conversation about where the problems are and where they go from here?

JV roster has maybe 35 kids on it and also had a losing record, how does this team get any better?
Old 11-04-17, 12:06 PM
All Ohio

LEONARD is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengoldblinders View Post
this article is so telling:

Check out this article from The Cincinnati Enquirer:

Colerain High School pummels Moeller High School 45-0 in first round of Ohio high school football playoffs

http://cin.ci/2A87IhQ

I would like an honest to God autopsy report on the true status of this football program, because there is no way you canít say major changes are not needed.

If this coaching staff returns as it is, I just wouldnít know what to say.

Injuries aside, this is an embarrassing program.

I donít want to pile on, but I would like an honest conversation about where the problems are and where they go from here?

JV roster has maybe 35 kids on it and also had a losing record, how does this team get any better?
Hopefully contract wise the school can afford to part ways with John and bring in someone else. Anyone have any insight to this situation?

What are some replacement ideas? On the staff currently I think Dwills or Chris Majors could be capable. I wish we could get Rosfeld back from UC but I don't see that happening.
Old 11-04-17, 12:45 PM
All American

The Game
As you said, there's no need to rehash how this program is at the lowest point in the history of the program. I agree with you that a change should take place. Preceding coaches have been let go who weren't even close to the level this program has fallen to. I've said it before, I do not believe there will be a change at the top. There may be a coordinator position change, but it will be more of the same next year. They'll point to injuries and youth for the downfall. I don't buy the injury thing. The X game was a blowout while McBride was in the game. Hawkins wouldn't have prevented blow out after blow out. The issues are deeper than two players......numbers are down, players leaving, performance is consistently embarrassing, bottom feeders of the GCL, etc. If Wolf went down in week 6, there's no way X starts experiencing running clocks and blow out losses. I just don't believe it. This team will be more of the same next year. There is not a lot of depth in the program. The sophomore numbers were way down. I just think people have become complacent with the program. I think some people were just happy they got in the playoffs.
Old 11-04-17, 12:55 PM
All District

Stormie is on a distinguished road
I think that all employees (teachers, coaches etc.) of the Archdiocese schools work on one-year renewable contracts. So, making a change should not be a contractual issue.

As far as a replacement, the answer is obvious: Pat Mac (LaSalle). He's a Moe guy, a big part of the recent State championship teams, been successful wherever he has gone since Moeller, and pretty sure that he would love the job and be well-received at Moe.
Old 11-04-17, 01:13 PM
All American

MoeBeturLojik is on a distinguished road
Here's a comparison of how we've fared over the last decade plus according to calpreps.com. The number is in terms of calpreps national ranking, state ranking - all divisions, record, and losses by 14 or more.

2003 #76 #6 8-4 St Xavier KY 31-17, Anderson 20-6
2004 #20 #2 9-3 Colerain 34-6, St. Edward 41-17
2005 #326 #24 6-5 St. Xavier 31-7, St. Edward 28-12, Findlay 35-17
2006 #191 #15 5-5 St. Xavier 21-0
2007 #158 #15 8-3 St. Xavier 28-14, Colerain 27-7, Elder 49-33
----------Rodenberg replaces Crable--------------------
2008 #117 #19 6-5 Elder 28-14, Bell Academy TN 21-6
2009 #53 #10 9-2 Middletown 45-10
2010 #61 #12 7-4 St. Edward 31-7, Cathedral IN 35-10
2011 #58 #5 9-4 Trinity KY 49-14, St. Xavier 35-21, St. Edward 42-27
2012 #2 #1 12-3 St. Xavier 49-21
2013 #6 #1 14-1 none
2014 #32 #4 10-4 St. Edward 24-10, La Salle 34-9, St. Ignatius 34-20
2015 #75 #7 5-5 St. Edward 49-17, Don Bosco NJ 31-14
2016 #273 #21 4-6 St. Ignatius 38-7, Wayne 35-17, La Salle 55-14
2017 #445 #36 4-7 St. Xavier 30-7, St. Edward 31-7, Colerain 45-0, Winton Woods 35-14, Elder 42-14
Old 11-04-17, 01:17 PM
All American

MoeBeturLojik is on a distinguished road
So, given where we were when Crable was let go, my question is what is an acceptable level of performance?
Old 11-04-17, 01:21 PM
All American

Rabbit is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormie View Post
I think that all employees (teachers, coaches etc.) of the Archdiocese schools work on one-year renewable contracts. So, making a change should not be a contractual issue.

As far as a replacement, the answer is obvious: Pat Mac (LaSalle). He's a Moe guy, a big part of the recent State championship teams, been successful wherever he has gone since Moeller, and pretty sure that he would love the job and be well-received at Moe.
Agreed. He is clearly Moeller's next head coach, and make no mistake, if offered he will jump at the chance to coach at his alma mater. It's also rumored he would have former key Moe assistants interested in joining him.

This is a critical time for the program. The bleeding has to stop, and the declining numbers have to end immediately. Open House in tomorrow and it's decision time for 8th graders. It's just really tough to imagine Moeller continuing down this present path of leadership in the FB program. Maybe the best would be a mutual agreement to part ways. At this time, that appears to be best for both parties involved.
Old 11-04-17, 01:35 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeBeturLojik View Post
So, given where we were when Crable was let go, my question is what is an acceptable level of performance?
A coaching staff getting the most out of their player's, which at Moeller will typically lead to successful teams competing for championships. Kinda hard to watch this present staff and conclude they are achieving that?
Old 11-04-17, 02:27 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeBeturLojik View Post
This is a good question and I believe the goals should never change.

Compete and win the GCL, qualify for playoffs and compete for a state championship annually.

Hire a competant staff that doesnít turnover or leave after every year that puts the program in the best position to win week in, week out.

Run a first class program that doesnít fight student sections (Middletown), opposing coaching staffs (Centerville), or staff fighting with parents.

This school has every single resource you could possibly want and need to be premier besides a Home Field and Iím embarrassed at the current state of this program.
Old 11-04-17, 03:29 PM
All American

The Game
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEONARD View Post
Hopefully contract wise the school can afford to part ways with John and bring in someone else. Anyone have any insight to this situation?

What are some replacement ideas? On the staff currently I think Dwills or Chris Majors could be capable. I wish we could get Rosfeld back from UC but I don't see that happening.
I know he has a good gig going, but if the job were to ever open, I hope they would reach out to Rosfeld. The guy is a Moeller guy through and through. He has tremendous passion for the program and school. Also, players love playing for him and he is a heck of a coach. I think he would bring big time energy to the program and change the culture.
Old 11-04-17, 04:14 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
I know he has a good gig going, but if the job were to ever open, I hope they would reach out to Rosfeld. The guy is a Moeller guy through and through. He has tremendous passion for the program and school. Also, players love playing for him and he is a heck of a coach. I think he would bring big time energy to the program and change the culture.
TBH with Rosfeld, he has a bunch of kids. Not 100% UC provides a tuition waiver to employee's children, but a lot colleges do. Can't see him wanting to leave that.

Do you guys think LaSalle would let pat get away? I doubt LaSalle has him on a short term deal.

And with Crable pretty sure his contract expired and he was not exactly fired as much as they did not renew his contract.
Old 11-04-17, 06:07 PM
All District

CrusaderFan81 is on a distinguished road
If Rodenberg is still there next year then the alums need to cut off donations to the program because it will have become abundantly clear that Hyzdu doesn't care about saving the program. The fact Rodenberg wasn't gotten rid of after last year already speaks volumes. You're telling me that a team full of D1 recruits left and right, should EVER lose a game 45-0...? What a joke.

Dear Hyzdu and Asbeck,
Please find a new coaching staff. Find people without ego's the size of New York and preferably find a head coach with a brain that knows how to run an offense...(Pat McClaughlin)

- thank you
Old 11-04-17, 07:38 PM
All Ohio

sig4969 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrusaderFan81 View Post
If Rodenberg is still there next year then the alums need to cut off donations to the program because it will have become abundantly clear that Hyzdu doesn't care about saving the program. The fact Rodenberg wasn't gotten rid of after last year already speaks volumes. You're telling me that a team full of D1 recruits left and right, should EVER lose a game 45-0...? What a joke.

Dear Hyzdu and Asbeck,
Please find a new coaching staff. Find people without ego's the size of New York and preferably find a head coach with a brain that knows how to run an offense...(Pat McClaughlin)

- thank you
about time ...

Moeller is base on money...........

So if you have parents that are donating money and have another set of parents to do this each year, why would this system changed ????
Old 11-04-17, 09:22 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by sig4969 View Post
about time ...

Moeller is base on money...........

So if you have parents that are donating money and have another set of parents to do this each year, why would this system changed ????
Feel free to voice your concern to the school president. His email is mhyzdu@moeller.org

Make sure to mention your alumni status/ any current donations you are considering discontinuing.
Old 11-06-17, 09:19 AM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
So you all would like to pull scholarship money from kids that need them to attend Moeller because they lost some football games? Which kids would you suggest lose their much needed scholarship $- the family of who lost their dad suddenly with 4 kids in Catholic schools? Or maybe The kid who came from Correyville Catholic whose mom works 3 jobs just to ensure her bright son gets a chance to be a part of Moeller? Get a grip people- this isn't Alabama football.
Old 11-06-17, 09:48 AM
All Ohio

GCLFan99 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kballer View Post
So you all would like to pull scholarship money from kids that need them to attend Moeller because they lost some football games? Which kids would you suggest lose their much needed scholarship $- the family of who lost their dad suddenly with 4 kids in Catholic schools? Or maybe The kid who came from Correyville Catholic whose mom works 3 jobs just to ensure her bright son gets a chance to be a part of Moeller? Get a grip people- this isn't Alabama football.

Some rational perspective from someone who is clearly a sports fan, but also a voice of reason
Old 11-06-17, 10:47 AM
All Region

Saint Columban is on a distinguished road
Quote:
No we want common sense change. If the school refuses then donation consequences are on the school, not alums who don't want to finance incompetence.
Old 11-06-17, 11:03 AM
All Region

at this point its system wide.

everything I hear is the AD is a hated moron and needs to go. I don't know him personally but its what I hear consistently from coaches of a number of sports.

rodenberg did great when he had great assistants but cant seem to find them anymore. under him the program is a total mess. time to completely clean house. they all need to go.

McLaughlin is the obvious choice. that man has proven to be successful at Reading, Princeton, and now lasalle, as well as having been a key cog in rodenbergs successful seasons here. allow him to bring in anyone he wants. im guessing we need to wait until lasalles playoff run is over to hire him?

also change the stupid helmet back! alienating boosters over a helmet logo is ridiculous, and tons of people are pissed about it.
Old 11-06-17, 11:22 AM
All American

Not donating to a high school because you are mad that they lost football games is ridiculous and immature, I don't see any common sense in that at all. The school isn't embarrassing- far from it! They continue to graduate kids who represent Moeller well- that should be your source of pride as a Moeller alum/donor.
Do I think some changes need to be made? Absolutely! The lack of "home" games for starters; that's as much on the AD as the coaches though. I said a few years back that the individual attention given to some players was going to detrimental to the program. I stand by that- players that are focused on their highlight films vs the team Ws is an epidemic in youth/high school sports and I think Moeller football let that become an issue as well (starting with a high profile QB). None of this would justify pulling much needed funds from a school though.
Old 11-06-17, 11:27 AM
All District

Redskins1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Bring in McLaughlin (aka: Shinning Marble) or Rosfeld (aka: Golden Boy). Changing the head coach or staff is not going to change the problem..... MIKE ASBECK (AD). He needs to take some responsibility for the downfall for the last three years since he is the one who has made the schedule since he arrived in 2013. So him coming in 2013 means the schedule was already made for 2014 and he is responsible for the schedule in 2015 (5-5), 2016 (4-6) and 2017 (4-7). What has this guy done since he's been here but send the FB Program into a losing program? He doesn't engage with Alumni and treats them like crap. He gave away our Hamilton home game this year and scheduled 7 away games. What AD does that? Change the HC and staff. The talent in the locker room isn't going to change nor is the lack of depth on the roster. You all will be saying the same thing next year at this time when we are 5-5. As an alum and former player I've looked deep into the program and until you all want to look deep keep taking the easy route and blame Rody and the staff. Nothing is going to change until ASBECK is gone! If you fire Rody then you have to fire Asbeck as well! The schedule doesn't change next year outside of game #1 so get ready for another 4-6 or 5-5 next year with our without Rody. It's time for you all to open your eyes! GBM!
Old 11-06-17, 11:51 AM
All American

No high school team needs to spend 2 whole days on a bus to play a game in NJ. The season is a grind for these STUDENT athletes, why add such extended travel to it? As for the "glory days" alums- these players from decades ago when the league and their schedule was full of patsies who count beating up on Badin, RB and the like as winning you need to do a reality check. How many outright GCL titles has Moeller won since the league was split into regions? 4 GCL South titles since 1990- 4 titles in almost 37 years. Quit acting like Moeller has been an immovable force all these years, it hasn't. Am not denying that there are real problems here, but when you are threatening to take away donations because of a football teams record or a helmet? Get your priorities straight.
Old 11-06-17, 02:03 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskins1 View Post
Bring in McLaughlin (aka: Shinning Marble) or Rosfeld (aka: Golden Boy). Changing the head coach or staff is not going to change the problem..... MIKE ASBECK (AD). He needs to take some responsibility for the downfall for the last three years since he is the one who has made the schedule since he arrived in 2013. So him coming in 2013 means the schedule was already made for 2014 and he is responsible for the schedule in 2015 (5-5), 2016 (4-6) and 2017 (4-7). What has this guy done since he's been here but send the FB Program into a losing program? He doesn't engage with Alumni and treats them like crap. He gave away our Hamilton home game this year and scheduled 7 away games. What AD does that? Change the HC and staff. The talent in the locker room isn't going to change nor is the lack of depth on the roster. You all will be saying the same thing next year at this time when we are 5-5. As an alum and former player I've looked deep into the program and until you all want to look deep keep taking the easy route and blame Rody and the staff. Nothing is going to change until ASBECK is gone! If you fire Rody then you have to fire Asbeck as well! The schedule doesn't change next year outside of game #1 so get ready for another 4-6 or 5-5 next year with our without Rody. It's time for you all to open your eyes! GBM!
Change the staff and fix the schedule..you can do both!
Old 11-06-17, 02:12 PM
All Region

Quote:
No high school team needs to spend 2 whole days on a bus to play a game in NJ. The season is a grind for these STUDENT athletes, why add such extended travel to it? As for the "glory days" alums- these players from decades ago when the league and their schedule was full of patsies who count beating up on Badin, RB and the like as winning you need to do a reality check. How many outright GCL titles has Moeller won since the league was split into regions? 4 GCL South titles since 1990- 4 titles in almost 37 years. Quit acting like Moeller has been an immovable force all these years, it hasn't. Am not denying that there are real problems here, but when you are threatening to take away donations because of a football teams record or a helmet? Get your priorities straight.
so because they haven't won an acceptable amount of outright gcl titles we should continue to support absolute incompetence? how many of those teams went 0-3 in the gcl south? how many were outscored 100-45 in league play? so don't act like this is an unfair schedule comparison when they're the league doormat. moeller shouldn't be getting blown out by anyone and it happened 5 times this year. that's unacceptable and if the school accepts it then the school will lose support. the head coach/AD/ and majority of assistants need to go. Period.

your solution to politely object then open up your checkbook doesn't help anything. these kids deserve better support than that and alumni temporarily withholding funds will get what the parents are spending a boatload of money for. the money will flow right back in as soon as the school does the right thing for these kids.
Old 11-06-17, 02:28 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Columban View Post
at this point its system wide.

everything I hear is the AD is a hated moron and needs to go. I don't know him personally but its what I hear consistently from coaches of a number of sports.

rodenberg did great when he had great assistants but cant seem to find them anymore. under him the program is a total mess. time to completely clean house. they all need to go.

McLaughlin is the obvious choice. that man has proven to be successful at Reading, Princeton, and now lasalle, as well as having been a key cog in rodenbergs successful seasons here. allow him to bring in anyone he wants. im guessing we need to wait until lasalles playoff run is over to hire him?

also change the stupid helmet back! alienating boosters over a helmet logo is ridiculous, and tons of people are pissed about it.
I haven't spoken to one (1) person who likes the logo on the helmet.Make this the first off season change for the program next year. The block M on the helmet, is the best brand the school has EVER had. Why is the world would you make that change?
Old 11-06-17, 03:06 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
I haven't spoken to one (1) person who likes the logo on the helmet.Make this the first off season change for the program next year. The block M on the helmet, is the best brand the school has EVER had. Why is the world would you make that change?
hyzdu thought it would be marketing genius to uniform a single school wide emblem.
Old 11-06-17, 03:17 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Columban View Post
hyzdu thought it would be marketing genius to uniform a single school wide emblem.
It was/is a good idea. Go ahead and count me as the first alumni who played football thatís fine with a new emblem on the helmet.

What would be more important to me would be to quit being embarrassing and fist fighting student sections, coaches not fighting parents and winning with class.

The new logo is fine, itís not 1974. I wasnít aware of the only four titles in 37 years, but that really grinds my gears.9

I still think this coaching staff needs blown up, specifically on the defensive side of the ball, what a joke.
Old 11-06-17, 04:21 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
calm down, I was referring to donations to football/athletic department.

But alumni complaining and talking about reducing gifts is a pretty sure fire way to grab the attention of anyone working at a high school or college. I also said "considering reducing". Not to be crass, but I think we have all had situations with loved ones when we discussed or told them some not so pleasant ideas you are considering in order to help motivate them to change their ways. 95% of the time these ideas never take place.

If we keep rewarding the athletic department, why would anything change?

And guys don't be afraid to use paragraphs lol. These novel rants all condensed in one block is hurting my eyes

Last edited by LEONARD; 11-06-17 at 08:56 PM.
Old 11-06-17, 09:25 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEONARD View Post
calm down, I was referring to donations to football/athletic department.

But alumni complaining and talking about reducing gifts is a pretty sure fire way to grab the attention of anyone working at a high school or college. I also said "considering reducing". Not to be crass, but I think we have all had situations with loved ones when we discussed or told them some not so pleasant ideas you are considering in order to help motivate them to change their ways. 95% of the time these ideas never take place.

If we keep rewarding the athletic department, why would anything change?

And guys don't be afraid to use paragraphs lol. These novel rants all condensed in one block is hurting my eyes
So your super long edit was to basically backtrack what you said in response to me initially?

I will clearly restate mine: if someone is so mad about losing some football games that they want to threaten to reduce/stop their donation to their HIGH SCHOOL alma mater that graduates kids that should make them very proud then that is ridiculous and immature. The ultimate "take my ball and go home" Crap- shameful
Old 11-06-17, 09:47 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
So your super long edit was to basically backtrack what you said in response to me initially?

I will clearly restate mine: if someone is so mad about losing some football games that they want to threaten to reduce/stop their donation to their HIGH SCHOOL alma mater that graduates kids that should make them very proud then that is ridiculous and immature. The ultimate "take my ball and go home" Crap- shameful
No, its to reiterate to you that I'm not talking about scholarships for kids in need and for you to get off your high horse and come back to reality.

And dude its not just that they are losing its that they are embarrassing the school by their play and how the program is being run. I think a lot of other alums will agree with that statement.

And Moeller is not your typical high school. People don't pay the cost of a college education for their child for an average experience. Standards at Moeller are not the same as the average place. Moeller did not build it reputation and have kids being sent in all over the tri state because of its ok athletics. If you want to be average, Moeller is not for you.

Thats like paying for a BMW or benz and getting a Chevy Cruze. Most importantly 8th grade parents are seeing this and say "why would I pay all this money for something average."

I hate to break it to you but Moeller, like other schools is a business. Enrollment and gifts are their foundation. So if you want something to change, use your leverage as alums.

But I refuse to support mediocrity at a great place. You can go and pat them on the back when they go 0-10.
Old 11-06-17, 09:52 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengoldblinders View Post
It was/is a good idea. Go ahead and count me as the first alumni who played football that’s fine with a new emblem on the helmet.

What would be more important to me would be to quit being embarrassing and fist fighting student sections, coaches not fighting parents and winning with class.

The new logo is fine, it’s not 1974. I wasn’t aware of the only four titles in 37 years, but that really grinds my gears.9

I still think this coaching staff needs blown up, specifically on the defensive side of the ball, what a joke.
Yup- St. X has won GCL South outright 12 times; Elder- 5; Moeller-4; Lasalle- 1; and there were shared titles 5 Times (Moe had a cut in 3 of those) since the '90 season when they split the league into regions. So for 33 out of 37 seasons they weren't the top dog in the GCL South.

I agree the fan/parent behavior is out of control the past few years- it's an epidemic in high school sports.

I don't know what coaching changes need to be made, but with the horrible blasting of the coaches and program that alums have made on social media (including Moeller's own pages) and the threats to now withhold $ (blackmail)- who the hell would want to take the job?!? Losing a few games isn't permanently ruining the program- the adults in the stands and watching from afar might, though.

Last edited by Kballer; 11-06-17 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Had a number wrong