Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > College Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-20-17, 12:57 PM
All American

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Indiana Hoosiers

I know there isn't many IU fans on here, and I'd like an outside perspective. What is the state of Hoosier basketball from the masses? IU just fired Tom Crean last week, he'd won two outright big ten titles in the last 5 seasons, but also missed the NCAA tournament two of the last three seasons.

IU fans seem to think Steve Alford, Billy Donavon, Greg Marshall, Sean Miller, Archie Miller seem to be the early candidates.

Is IU a top 10 job in college basketball anymore? Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-17, 01:28 PM
All American

Irwin20 is on a distinguished road
Alford may be interested since its home and he has no real ties to SOCAL. Also he won't have to deal with Mr Ball any longer. It was just last year that UCLA fans were trying to get him fired for a poor season.
Old 03-20-17, 01:30 PM
All American

WinstonSmith is on a distinguished road
I'd stay away from Alford. At best I'd say he's a Thad Matta who will recruit pretty well, but if he has a class or two where he doesn't hit home runs recruiting there's not much else there.
Old 03-20-17, 01:45 PM
All American

Steve Alford is the natural look, he's an IU guy and would be the splash IU fans are hoping for. He's been an ok but not great coach, who happens to have a great team this year. The big question from a recruiting standpoint would be...does high school kids relate to a guy who played at IU 30 years ago?? I think it would be a bigger splash with the parents than the kids.

My thoughts on Steve is that what does he have to prove at IU? He's a Hoosier legend already, coming to Bloomington could only tarnish his already shiny image. Short of a national title in the next few seasons, he'd be considered a failure if he coached at IU for 10 years and didn't win a title.
Old 03-20-17, 01:49 PM
All American

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Recruiting to IU shouldn't be too hard. You are in a fetile recruiting state that produces plenty of players. With he players Crean had a.good coach gets them a final four.
Old 03-20-17, 01:51 PM
All American

If I were an IU fan I'd definitely want Marshall and I'd think they should have a good chance to land him.
Old 03-20-17, 01:53 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
If I were an IU fan I'd definitely want Marshall and I'd think they should have a good chance to land him.
Greg Marshall, Chris Mack or Archie Miller would be great fits at IU. Not high profile coaches, but ready to step into the next level. All are defensive oriented coaches, which IU Needs.
Old 03-20-17, 02:20 PM
All American

Marshall would be the first call. I wouldn't touch Alford. Not sure what the buyout for Alford or Marshall is
Old 03-20-17, 02:28 PM
All American

Alford's buyout is very sizeable from what I read this weekend. Around $7 mill I think?
Old 03-20-17, 02:30 PM
All American

That is what I though I read too but wasn't sure if the source was legit. Seemed really high for a first contract head coach.
Old 03-20-17, 02:32 PM
All American

https://www.google.com/amp/www.latim...story,amp.html

This states 7.8 at the end of the year. Really high
Old 03-20-17, 02:38 PM
All Yappi

CatAlum is on a distinguished road
Some are coming to Crean's defense. It all depends on how you look at it. Is IU a good program? Sure, it is. But, it used to be #1 in a basketball-mad state. Now, it's arguably #3 behind Purdue and Butler.
Old 03-20-17, 02:40 PM
All American

Marshall'a buyout started at 500k but drops each year to a minimum of 200k. He currently makes around 3.5 million in base salary plus perks. He was paid slightly less than Tom Crean so money may not be a selling point to him unless they unload the brinks truck at his doorstep
Old 03-20-17, 02:52 PM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatAlum View Post
Some are coming to Crean's defense. It all depends on how you look at it. Is IU a good program? Sure, it is. But, it used to be #1 in a basketball-mad state. Now, it's arguably #3 behind Purdue and Butler.
I had business with the guy that did the technical stuff for Tom Crean's radio show while he was at Marquette, he did not have much good to say about the guy other than he got Dwayne Wade to play for him. Basically out of the public eye the guy is a huge Dick, especially to the administration.

IU has had some interesting choices when it comes to the Head Guys post Bobby Knight. Mike Davis, Kelvin Sampson, and Tom Crean all had some serious warts; you got to think think that they will get yet another guy that will have heads scratching once the name is dropped.
Old 03-20-17, 03:15 PM
All World

Spille is on a distinguished road
Brad Stephens. I understand he's not real thrilled in the NBA.
Old 03-20-17, 03:16 PM
All Ohio

Taco MacArthur is an unknown quantity at this point
That is the first time I've heard Brad Stephens not being enthralled with the Celtics
Old 03-20-17, 03:20 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
That is the first time I've heard Brad Stephens not being enthralled with the Celtics
Yeah, I'm a dolt. I completely misread the article talking about Stephens. My bad.
Old 03-20-17, 03:51 PM
All American

Serious or sarcasm?
Old 03-20-17, 03:53 PM
All World

Serious. I really read it as he was unhappy.
Old 03-20-17, 04:01 PM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
Still an elite job with the right person guiding the ship. Unless they're absolutely content where they are, this should be the type of job that a coach like Marshall would jump on.
Old 03-20-17, 05:14 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest is on a distinguished road
If the IU Board hires Marshall ('s wife), Bobby Knight is going to demand a recount. At the least, I would think she stalled that kind of promotion for a year or two. He's whiney. Plenty of programs at Wichita St. level are given the same respect as any school or conference in the country. More coaching, less shoe stomping from the both of them.
Old 03-20-17, 06:17 PM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
I had business with the guy that did the technical stuff for Tom Crean's radio show while he was at Marquette, he did not have much good to say about the guy other than he got Dwayne Wade to play for him. Basically out of the public eye the guy is a huge Dick, especially to the administration.

IU has had some interesting choices when it comes to the Head Guys post Bobby Knight. Mike Davis, Kelvin Sampson, and Tom Crean all had some serious warts; you got to think think that they will get yet another guy that will have heads scratching once the name is dropped.
Marshall fits that description perfectly then
Old 03-20-17, 08:31 PM
Fake coolin' off

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Steve Alford is the natural look, he's an IU guy and would be the splash IU fans are hoping for. He's been an ok but not great coach, who happens to have a great team this year. The big question from a recruiting standpoint would be...does high school kids relate to a guy who played at IU 30 years ago?? I think it would be a bigger splash with the parents than the kids.

My thoughts on Steve is that what does he have to prove at IU? He's a Hoosier legend already, coming to Bloomington could only tarnish his already shiny image. Short of a national title in the next few seasons, he'd be considered a failure if he coached at IU for 10 years and didn't win a title.
You know those guys don't think like that, right? They don't give a second thought about not succeeding or being viewed as a failure, that's what guys like you do. He'll size the job up on potential, money, and nostalgia.
Old 03-20-17, 08:32 PM
All Yappi

cjb56 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatAlum View Post
Performance-wise? Yes. You can add Notre Dame to Purdue and Butler, however...reputation-wise and ceiling...IU is THE program in the state and is still an elite job in the nation.
Old 03-21-17, 06:58 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest is on a distinguished road
Well, Springfield, Mass used to be the number one team in the country. Who hears from them these days. It's not easy getting to the top without selling some souls and IU doesn't seem the type.
Old 03-21-17, 11:28 AM
All Yappi

jtk has a little shameless behaviour in the past
mike decourcy seems to think chris mack would be the best fit at iu.

jtk
()
Old 03-22-17, 08:29 AM
All Region

whachutalkinbout is on a distinguished road
Why isn't Cronin's name being mentioned? He just won 30 games and has taken UC to the tournament for 7 straight years.
Old 03-22-17, 08:41 AM
All American

He can't run an offense to save his life. IU probably feels they can get a much better coach and rightfully so
Old 03-22-17, 08:46 AM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
I agree, his offensive philosophy likely gives people pause when considering him. That's why the best offer/interest he's had in the last 5-10 years was UNLV.
Old 03-22-17, 03:58 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb56 View Post
Performance-wise? Yes. You can add Notre Dame to Purdue and Butler, however...reputation-wise and ceiling...IU is THE program in the state and is still an elite job in the nation.
True, IU basketball is the measuring stick of Indiana basketball. Fan base, interest, all things included.