Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-20-18, 06:25 AM
All Ohio

EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
Conant Smith

Headed to Arizona State to be with another ex-patriot Cory Leslie.

http://oh.milesplit.com/articles/247...ate-university

Hands down the best runner in the 2019 class in Ohio.

When will Ohio State recruit the best?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-18, 07:30 AM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
hmmm, Where did Cory Leslie go to college? Michael Brajdic? Jeff See? When will OSU recruit anyone that's any good? Good point?
Old 09-20-18, 09:43 AM
All World

ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
OSU might be recruiting the best in Ohio but they do fail alot at it. Even when they do get a few, they cant create a dominate team nationally.
Old 09-20-18, 10:03 AM
All Ohio

High School Graduation years
Jeff See 2005
Cory Leslie 2008
Michael Brajdic 2011

All were recruits of Robert Gary. Gary did a hell of job keeping the best kids in Ohio. 8 of his 16 years at OSU the Buckeyes made it to the national meet. Although never winning a Big10 title.

Let's talk recent (last 3 year) High School All Americans just from Ohio. These are just the High School All Americans. There are many other guys that have gone out of state that are now College All Americans that OSU didn't sniff.

2019- Conant Smith- Arizona State

Greatest Class in the history of Ohio:
2018- Dustin Horter- Indiana
2018- Chad Johnson- Iowa State
2018- Matt Scrape- Syracuse
2018- Zach Creft- Notre Dame
2018- Ryan Johnston- Louisville
2018- Lucas Bons- BYU
2018- Arjun Jha- Indiana
2018- Nathan Cousino- Pittsburgh

2017- Hunter Moore- EMU now Indiana
2017- Joe Riordan- Michigan State
2017- Jacob Keating- Michigan
2017- Ben Ewert- Louisville

2016- Andrew Jordan- Iowa Stata
2016- Gavin Gaynor- Princeton
2016- Luke Wagner- Iowa State
2016- Stephen Jones- Mississippi
2016- Joe Bistritz- NC STATE
2016- Zach Kirk - EKU

I couldn't name a guy on Ohio State's roster and I can name these guys off and their college in seconds.
Old 09-20-18, 10:09 AM
All American

Rohbino is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuclidandViren View Post

Speaking of EMU, that's where Andy Payne is. Did tOSU recruit him? He would have been a good addition.

Gavin Gaynor is now at NC State.
Old 09-20-18, 11:54 AM
All World

So, we are confident that these "best" guys on the list were not recruited by OSU? They just didn't land them maybe?

Can't begin to list the number of reasons why kids would chose other schools over OSU. Not everyone on the list chose the same school.

There are other and even better places to go.
Old 09-20-18, 11:57 AM
All American

mathking is on a distinguished road
I know that OSU did at least try to recruit one of those 2018 guys.
Old 09-20-18, 12:35 PM
Freshman

Qualifer17 is on a distinguished road
Ohio State tried to recruit many of these guys, however, especially the 2018 guys, requested more money and Ohio State doesn’t offer enough scholarship money to “WOW” any of these top guys.
Old 09-20-18, 01:44 PM
All American

cvctrackfan is on a distinguished road
Ohio State has been using their money to bring in hurdlers/sprinters....and they have had some success National with both the women’s and men’s teams,,,,
Old 09-20-18, 06:06 PM
Freshman

Gotta tip your caps to Arizona State..Just nabbed, arguebly, the best two runners in one of the best Distance states in the nation. Well done.
Old 09-21-18, 08:18 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvctrackfan View Post
Ohio State has been using their money to bring in hurdlers/sprinters....and they have had some success National with both the women’s and men’s teams,,,,
100% agree with winning the BIG10 title in track OSU is doing a great job.

As for the 'other sport' cross country, there is no effort to win the BIG10. With Wisconsin, Michigan, and Michigan State in their conference it looks like they are concentrating all the money on track. Which is the easier way to win. Find athletes that can do 1-2-and even 3 events at the conference meet.
Old 09-21-18, 08:44 AM
All American

Quote:
Headed to Arizona State to be with another -patriot Cory Leslie.

http://oh.milesplit.com/articles/247...ate-university

Hands down the best runner in the 2019 class in Ohio.

When will Ohio State recruit the best?
I'll be shocked if Conant doesn't win the state meet this year but I suspect that Nathan Moore will battle with him and not go down without a fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qualifer17 View Post
Gotta tip your caps to Arizona State..Just nabbed, arguebly, the best two runners in one of the best Distance states in the nation. Well done.
Unless you're referring to Leslie as the coach, what other runner, other than Smith, committed to ASU?

I had heard, through unverified sources, that Conant was considering Indiana. It wouldn't have surprised me since IU has become "Ohio West" getting some of Ohio's best in Mau, Moore, Horter, Jha, and Cedarville's Dan Michalski who is now a grad student at IU with eligibility.
Old 09-21-18, 08:56 AM
All World

So, what is the gripe? Why would you want a distance runner to go to OSU?

NC State has a much better distance tradition. Coaches that have been around since the 80's. The women have made the National meet more than any other school. They not only do it with blue chippers, but they develop runners that weren't "All-Americans" in HS. A distance runner is top priority to them. So, if you take out all factors such as money or major or family etc. Why would a distance kid chose OSU over a place like NC State? Of all the schools that my daughter looked at and looked at her, NC State is the only one that had the same coaching staff when she graduated as when she started. That was a big factor for her. The men and women's teams at NC State are treated equally. They are not at OSU, or at least they were not when she was looking. They are one team at NC State. They were two complete different programs at OSU. Facilities were and still are horrible at OSU for indoor. My daughter commented that shouldn't OSU have a better indoor facility than Oberlin? Worst Indoor facility in the state. NC State doesn't have an indoor facility because weather is not a factor. That was sort of a big deal for her dad who ran at BGSU.

If we had to pay $30K a year for my daughter to go to NC State over OSU, We would have. Especially in hind site. She thrived and it opened up doors to where she is doing exactly what she loves to do. My son, who was not as talented a runner had a full ride to OSU for academics. He went to CASE where it cost a lot more. But, it was the right fit for him. He did not like OSU for many reasons and CASE was perfect for him. His best friend went to OSU and thrived there. Let me tell you, It was very easy for me to look at my son and tell him to go where he felt most comfortable. It was much more difficult in private to think that we had to somehow come up with more $ than I Grossed in a year at the time to send him to CASE. It worked out and I will still be able to retire at 65 as long as I die at 66. There are so many factors that go into it, that you can't imagine. Running is just a fraction.

The list goes on and on. Arizona State might be a better fit for some kids. There are kids where OSU might be the best place. Go look at the list of national champions for D1 NCAA Cross Country. Same schools year after year after year. OSU is not an elite CC school. No big deal and if you were a kid, would you chose it just for CC? I don't think so.
Old 09-21-18, 09:12 AM
All World

Quote:
100% agree with winning the BIG10 title in track OSU is doing a great job.

As for the 'other sport' cross country, there is no effort to win the BIG10. With Wisconsin, Michigan, and Michigan State in their conference it looks like they are concentrating all the money on track. Which is the easier way to win. Find athletes that can do 1-2-and even 3 events at the conference meet.
the shame in this is that CC should not split $ with track. Sure the CC runners should be on the track team but CC should get their own $ for athletes
Old 09-21-18, 09:26 AM
All District

claynation is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohbino View Post
I'll be shocked if Conant doesn't win the state meet this year but I suspect that Nathan Moore will battle with him and not go down without a fight.

Unless you're referring to Leslie as the coach, what other runner, other than Smith, committed to ASU?

I had heard, through unverified sources, that Conant was considering Indiana. It wouldn't have surprised me since IU has become "Ohio West" getting some of Ohio's best in Mau, Moore, Horter, Jha, and Cedarville's Dan Michalski who is now a grad student at IU with eligibility.
Vinny Mauri has also committed to Arizona State.

And Nathan Moore isn't in the class of 2019...
Old 09-21-18, 09:32 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by claynation View Post
Vinny Mauri has also committed to Arizona State.

And Nathan Moore isn't in the class of 2019...
I didn't say that Moore is in the class of 2019. What I said was I'll be shocked if Conant doesn't win the state meet this year but I suspect that Nathan Moore will battle with him and not go down without a fight.
Old 09-21-18, 02:16 PM
Freshman

yaktrak4 is on a distinguished road
Great for Smith and Mauri, both have huge potential and it's awesome to see that they'll be teaming up in the future. Where else were they looking? Tempe must have it going on for 2 of Ohio's best to commit before October even hits.
Old 09-21-18, 04:48 PM
All World

Why is it great for any of these kids to go to Arizona State? I could see Northern Arizona, but what type of resume / tradition does Arizona State have? Rasmussen is a good guy for the Women, but not a proven head coach by any means yet. Leslie is also a first year head coach if I'm not mistaken. No idea how any of this will turn out. crap Shoot at this point.
Old 09-21-18, 09:58 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
Why is it great for any of these kids to go to Arizona State? I could see Northern Arizona, but what type of resume / tradition does Arizona State have?
You know, psycho, sometimes it comes down to academics. These kids and all student-athletes should be choosing a school first on academics, right? NAU is now probably the premier school for distance runners but I'm not sure that it is strong academically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
Rasmussen is a good guy for the Women, but not a proven head coach by any means yet.
Rasmussen not a proven coach? Angela Bizzarri anyone?
Old 09-22-18, 07:38 AM
Varsity

wolsey737 is on a distinguished road
Leslie is also a first year head coach if I'm not mistaken. No idea how any of this will turn out. crap Shoot at this point.[/QUOTE]

I think most schools are a crap shoot. You have to go with what feels right for you as an athlete. Relationship with the coach is a big one. You have to ask yourself if you got hurt today and could not run can you see yourself at that school for 4 years. STUDENT FIRST athlete second.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-22-18, 07:54 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
I didn't say that Moore is in the class of 2019. What I said was I'll be shocked if Conant doesn't win the state meet this year but I suspect that Nathan Moore will battle with him and not go down without a fight.
Moore is a good/great runner. Let's remember Conant Smith is an All American and a senior. Conant lost by a lean last year in the slimmest of margins in the history of the state meet to Dustin Horter. Myself and others thought Conant won and still can't decide who won when I see the tapes today. Horter, who last spring many people were claiming the best distance runner ever from Ohio barely beat him.

Conant should go sub 15:00 and win easily. But with that being said Conant is a racer and not a runner. He likes to race people conversely to Horter who would blow you up the first 400. Smith will let the race develop and then take off and win in the latter stages of the race. This type of runner may not win the state meet by wide margins. But in the collegiate ranks I 100% believe that Conant will be as good or better than Horter because of his racing tactics and mind set.
Old 09-22-18, 09:24 PM
All District

KevinL is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Let's talk recent (last 3 year) High School All Americans just from Ohio. These are just the High School All Americans. There are many other guys that have gone out of state that are now College All Americans that OSU didn't sniff.

2019- Conant Smith- Arizona State

Greatest Class in the history of Ohio:
2018- Dustin Horter- Indiana
2018- Chad Johnson- Iowa State
2018- Matt Scrape- Syracuse
2018- Zach Creft- Notre Dame
2018- Ryan Johnston- Louisville
2018- Lucas Bons- BYU
2018- Arjun Jha- Indiana
2018- Nathan Cousino- Pittsburgh

2017- Joe Riordan- Michigan State
2017- Jacob Keating- Michigan
2017- Ben Ewert- Louisville

2016- Andrew Jordan- Iowa Stata
2016- Luke Wagner- Iowa State
2016- Stephen Jones- Mississippi
2016- Joe Bistritz- NC STATE
2016- Zach Kirk - EKU

I couldn't name a guy on Ohio State's roster and I can name these guys off and their college in seconds.
Interesting that you could name Cousino but not the guy who beat him.

2018 - 800m D1 State Champ Nick Miller (Wadsworth) is at Ohio State.

2016 - 800m D1 State Champ Frank Hayes started at Iowa State but is now on the OSU roster (presumably for track, unlikely he will run much XC)

2016 - Luke Wagner also transferred to OSU in 2017 but did not stick with the team. (Not sure if he is still attending or not). I believe he ran 1 race for the Buckeyes.
https://www.tfrrs.org/results/xc/115...niversity_Open

Also not that it matters but 2016 Jones is at Mississippi STATE.

Last edited by KevinL; 09-23-18 at 10:38 AM..
Old 09-22-18, 10:28 PM
All World

Smith with a 15:08 at Night lights
Old 09-23-18, 09:34 AM
All American

Quote:
Moore is a good/great runner. Let's remember Conant Smith is an All American and a senior. Conant lost by a lean last year in the slimmest of margins in the history of the state meet to Dustin Horter. Myself and others thought Conant won and still can't decide who won when I see the tapes today. Horter, who last spring many people were claiming the best distance runner ever from Ohio barely beat him.
Moore is currently a good runner and has potential to be a great runner. He ran sub 4:17 for the 1600 as a frosh! Let's remember that he is only a sophomore and Conant has a lot more racing experience. Also, to be clear, I never hinted that he would beat Conant. I did say that I will be shocked if Conant doesn't win the state championship. If the weather conditions are right and the course isn't too soft I also believe that he has a decent chance to better Andrew Jordan's course record of 14:54. But as you mentioned, Conant is a racer so his focus will probably be on winning and not setting a record. People focus too much on times. Place is what matters in XC.

Also, you shouldn't be casting doubt as to what the result of last year's meet was. That was 2017 and this is 2018. Timing companies have cameras. The official result is the correct result. It's bush league to attempt to call the result into question.

Quote:
This type of runner may not win the state meet by wide margins. But in the collegiate ranks I 100% believe that Conant will be as good or better than Horter because of his racing tactics and mind set.
Smith and Horter will both be successful collegiate runners and join the long list of Ohioans that are/were successful runners. Horter is off to a good start. He was 10th last week and ran as Indiana's 2nd runner in Iona's Meet of Champions on the tough Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx. Kyle Mau of IU and Hudson was 3rd overall and only 5 seconds behind the winner. Hunter Moore of Orange, a transfer from E. Mich to IU, also ran a respectable race finishing 17th.

Results are here

Last edited by Rohbino; 09-23-18 at 10:36 AM..
Old 09-23-18, 10:44 AM
All District

billcarson is on a distinguished road
I think the 2007 Luttrell race was a closer finish of only .2 at the line for first
Old 09-23-18, 11:00 AM
Freshman

While close finishes are being discussed, the one that comes to mind is actually the Indoor D2 800m Race between Heath Chandler Wilhelm and Alder’s Jase Headings. Both ran a 1:54.57. Headings won and it came down to 4 decimal places. Insane. Wilhelm would eventually exact his revenge in the Outdoor season though.
Old 09-23-18, 12:07 PM
All District

CC Track Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Moore is currently a good runner and has potential to be a great runner. He ran sub 4:17 for the 1600 as a frosh! Let's remember that he is only a sophomore and Conant has a lot more racing experience. Also, to be clear, I never hinted that he would beat Conant. I did say that I will be shocked if Conant doesn't win the state championship. If the weather conditions are right and the course isn't too soft I also believe that he has a decent chance to better Andrew Jordan's course record of 14:54. But as you mentioned, Conant is a racer so his focus will probably be on winning and not setting a record. People focus too much on times. Place is what matters in XC.

Also, you shouldn't be casting doubt as to what the result of last year's meet was. That was 2017 and this is 2018. Timing companies have cameras. The official result is the correct result. It's bush league to attempt to call the result into question.

Smith and Horter will both be successful collegiate runners and join the long list of Ohioans that are/were successful runners. Horter is off to a good start. He was 10th last week and ran as Indiana's 2nd runner in Iona's Meet of Champions on the tough Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx. Kyle Mau of IU and Hudson was 3rd overall and only 5 seconds behind the winner. Hunter Moore of Orange, a transfer from E. Mich to IU, also ran a respectable race finishing 17th.

Results are here
Note that Arjun Jha ran at Terre Haute, that same day and went 25:12 which is only 6 sec behind Mau and 28 sec faster than Horter. Obviously it was a different course and I don't know which is considered faster but found interesting. I thought Jha might have a better college CC career because Horter maybe a more 1500/5000 track guy.
Old 09-23-18, 01:43 PM
All District

SLS is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrunner609 View Post
So was the course fast? Any chance it was short? I know that the weather was ideal also, and times are usually dropping a little more this time of year, but a lot of PR's happened last night. Any opinions out there?
Old 09-23-18, 01:53 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLS View Post
So was the course fast? Any chance it was short? I know that the weather was ideal also, and times are usually dropping a little more this time of year, but a lot of PR's happened last night. Any opinions out there?
I’m assuming what you said is correct. This is when a lot of kids will drop some time. From high mileage to early season hiccups , this is the perfect week to really jump onto the scene.

A lot of the early season meets, not all but some, are slow and some kids have just held back. 15:08 is very good this early. MMOC is next week. Although it’s at Bradley, not Darby, it still should be a fast one.
Old 09-23-18, 02:50 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrunner609 View Post
Smith ran a great race but I was more impressed with Taylor Ewert's 17:08.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Track Fan View Post
Note that Arjun Jha ran at Terre Haute, that same day and went 25:12 which is only 6 sec behind Mau and 28 sec faster than Horter. Obviously it was a different course and I don't know which is considered faster but found interesting. I thought Jha might have a better college CC career because Horter maybe a more 1500/5000 track guy.
Not to take anything away from Arjun but the Van Cortlandt Park course is significantly more challenging than Terre Haute. Jha & Horter did run head to head this year at Miami in the first meet of the season. Both ran unattached. Horter was 7th in 25:40 and Jha 27th in 26:36. I do believe that Jha was not at full capacity, though, due to an injury, a cold, or something else.

The results of the Miami meet are here.

I could be wrong but my opinion is that Horter is going to be a 800/1500 guy in the immediate future and more of a 1500/5000 guy later in his career. Jha is going to be a very good 5000 guy in track.