Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Elder Panthers

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-04-10, 02:29 PM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherVOR View Post
I'm sure I must know you...............
I think the statute of limitation has run officer.
Old 11-04-10, 02:38 PM
All Yappi

PantherVOR is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post
I think the statute of limitation has run officer.
Gheez, I'm not that old!
Old 11-04-10, 02:51 PM
All Region

jjk10 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_e_man View Post
Have a question for all the people familiar with Delhi Pike. A long, long, time ago (maybe late 1960's / early 1970's), at the corner of Greenwell and Delhi Pike, there was the United Dairy Farmers and across the street a Sunoco station. After the UDF, the north side of Delhi Pike was somewhat undeveloped until you got to the entrance to Delhi Park, where the McDonalds was built. The strip mall was built with a Sambos restaurant in the corner, Richter-Phillips as an anchor store at the west side, and a grocery on the east side. Three to four small businesses in between, like a SuperX, Radio Shack, possibly a bank.

On the East end of the strip I remember that large store as being an A&P Grocery, then later I think it was remodeled into a Central Hardware. The building size may have changed as it was remodeled. Does anyone remember the different stores on that strip mall? Is my memory correct?

There was frame shop for framing pictures. I don't remember a grocery
store being there. There was a tobacco shop. A hallmark store was there
until recently. Also a tanning salon.
Old 11-07-10, 10:32 AM
All World

oskar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jteegardner View Post
Does anyone remember that Covedale branch library used to be on Relleum ave. across from the Pony Keg.
I remember when the library was located across the street from Kerstings, but I thought it was the "Overlook" branch.
Old 12-02-10, 12:17 PM
All Ohio

CincyHSfootball is on a distinguished road
On another note, has anyone driven down past the Warsaw Ave/St. Lawrence Church corner with the new lampposts decorated for Christmas. I drove past there the other night when it was snow flurring, there was an Andy Williams(West High grad) Christmas song playing on the radio and as I waited at the light I saw people going into St. Lawrence bakery (been there for 50+ years). God it felt like I was in a time machine. It really looked great.

I know that area has a lot of problems but it actually gave me hope to see all the improvements and the committement of so many people to bringing East Price Hill back to a viable, livable community for all.
Old 12-02-10, 01:21 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHSfootball View Post
On another note, has anyone driven down past the Warsaw Ave/St. Lawrence Church corner with the new lampposts decorated for Christmas. I drove past there the other night when it was snow flurring, there was an Andy Williams(West High grad) Christmas song playing on the radio and as I waited at the light I saw people going into St. Lawrence bakery (been there for 50+ years). God it felt like I was in a time machine. It really looked great.

I know that area has a lot of problems but it actually gave me hope to see all the improvements and the committement of so many people to bringing East Price Hill back to a viable, livable community for all.
St. Lawrence Bakery has the best doughnuts around! Now I'm going to have to get over there this weekend.........
Old 12-02-10, 03:13 PM
All Region

purpleandwhite
The chocolate icing is addicting.
Old 12-02-10, 03:55 PM
All World

Eclairs got a great review in Cincinnati Magazine this month.
Old 12-02-10, 04:06 PM
All American

Older Panther
My mom worked there many years which probably explains why I am in the top physical condition I am today.
Old 12-02-10, 04:12 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Eclairs got a great review in Cincinnati Magazine this month.
I've never had their eclairs but their butter doughnuts are food for the gods!
Old 12-02-10, 04:13 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Older Panther View Post
My mom worked there many years which probably explains why I am in the top physical condition I am today.
Old 12-03-10, 11:43 AM
All American

elderfan2005
This thread has my vote for the all time best thread on the Elder yappi board...
Old 12-03-10, 12:39 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderfan2005 View Post
This thread has my vote for the all time best thread on the Elder yappi board...
Five and a half years and running................
Old 12-03-10, 01:03 PM
All Yappi

EHS 2001 is on a distinguished road
Tonight and tomorrow is Holiday on the Hill in Price Hill:
http://www.pricehillwill.org/Price_H..._the_Hill.html

Last edited by EHS 2001; 12-03-10 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Events occur tonight too.
Old 12-03-10, 02:02 PM
All American

jjakq27
Quote:
Originally Posted by EHS 2001 View Post
Tomorrow is Holiday on the Hill in Price Hill:
The first Saturday in December is usually the Delhi Christmas parade too.
Old 12-03-10, 02:39 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHS 2001 View Post
Tomorrow is Holiday on the Hill in Price Hill:
Actually I think the lighting of the Christmas Tree in front (Glenway side) of Seton High School tonight kicks off the Holiday on the Hill festivities. I think Elder's Glee Club and Seton's Chorus will be there singing Christmas Carols. Not sure if there is anything else scheduled for tonight or not.
Old 12-03-10, 02:42 PM
All Yappi

You are correct. There are events on Friday, December 3 and Saturday, December 4.
Old 12-03-10, 10:32 PM
All American

AZElder is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_e_man View Post
Have a question for all the people familiar with Delhi Pike. A long, long, time ago (maybe late 1960's / early 1970's), at the corner of Greenwell and Delhi Pike, there was the United Dairy Farmers and across the street a Sunoco station. After the UDF, the north side of Delhi Pike was somewhat undeveloped until you got to the entrance to Delhi Park, where the McDonalds was built. The strip mall was built with a Sambos restaurant in the corner, Richter-Phillips as an anchor store at the west side, and a grocery on the east side. Three to four small businesses in between, like a SuperX, Radio Shack, possibly a bank.

On the East end of the strip I remember that large store as being an A&P Grocery, then later I think it was remodeled into a Central Hardware. The building size may have changed as it was remodeled. Does anyone remember the different stores on that strip mall? Is my memory correct?
I remember shopping in that Richter-Phillips and Central Hardware. I think there was a Radio Shack and a video rental place (Network Video, maybe) in that strip as well.

Has anyone mentioned any of these places over on Glenway near the Wendy's at the bottom of the hill?
Germantown Pizza
Barlycorns
TC Peppercorns (I think it was a Bonanza before that).
Old 12-05-10, 09:14 AM
All American

jjakq27
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZElder View Post
I remember shopping in that Richter-Phillips and Central Hardware. I think there was a Radio Shack and a video rental place (Network Video, maybe) in that strip as well.

Has anyone mentioned any of these places over on Glenway near the Wendy's at the bottom of the hill?
Germantown Pizza
Barlycorns
TC Peppercorns (I think it was a Bonanza before that).
I think there was a pharmacy (Revco) near the Radio Shack. And to answer a previous question, the Central Hardware was an A&P. After Central Hardware went out of business, they had indoor flea-markets there until the property was bought. Then they re-did the front, taking out all of the glass and framing. I thought there was a piano company in there for awhile but I'm not sure.

And I think TCP/Barleycorns on Parkcrest was the Blue Moon Saloon and a Burbank's Bar-b-q before become the Golden Corral.

I think the funeral home next to that was a car dealership and the Red Lobster on the hill behind there was a Ford or Mercury dealership in the early 70's,
Old 12-06-10, 08:48 AM
All American

PantherDad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjakq27 View Post
I think there was a pharmacy (Revco) near the Radio Shack. And to answer a previous question, the Central Hardware was an A&P. After Central Hardware went out of business, they had indoor flea-markets there until the property was bought. Then they re-did the front, taking out all of the glass and framing. I thought there was a piano company in there for awhile but I'm not sure.

And I think TCP/Barleycorns on Parkcrest was the Blue Moon Saloon and a Burbank's Bar-b-q before become the Golden Corral.

I think the funeral home next to that was a car dealership and the Red Lobster on the hill behind there was a Ford or Mercury dealership in the early 70's,

Who remembers when Sebastian's use to be a Baskin Robbins ice cream? If you're at the light on Glenway in front of Sebastians going towards Elder you can still see the 31 on the back of the Sebastian sign.
Old 12-06-10, 10:18 AM
All Yappi

Anybody know what is going into the building in front of Phillips Swim club? Someone is remodeling the interior of the building.
Old 12-06-10, 10:54 AM
All Ohio

CincyHSfootball is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Anybody know what is going into the building in front of Phillips Swim club? Someone is remodeling the interior of the building.
Little Cesar Pizza
Old 12-06-10, 01:53 PM
All Region

purpleandwhite
Quote:
Bring back Coconut Joe's!!!!!
Old 12-06-10, 02:52 PM
All Region

Elder Panther is on a distinguished road
A & W Root Beer with the cones full of delicious draft Root Beer!!Almost as good as Frank's Bar and Grill's Schoenling on tap.
Old 12-06-10, 03:15 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleandwhite View Post
Bring back Coconut Joe's!!!!!
Amen.
Old 12-06-10, 03:56 PM
All American

elderfan2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjakq27 View Post
I think there was a pharmacy (Revco) near the Radio Shack. And to answer a previous question, the Central Hardware was an A&P. After Central Hardware went out of business, they had indoor flea-markets there until the property was bought. Then they re-did the front, taking out all of the glass and framing. I thought there was a piano company in there for awhile but I'm not sure.And I think TCP/Barleycorns on Parkcrest was the Blue Moon Saloon and a Burbank's Bar-b-q before become the Golden Corral.

Correct - Hanser Music Group, a distributor of musical instruments, was in there until they moved to a new location in Hebron, KY a couple years ago. Because there were no windows, most people never realized they were there. http://www.hansermusicgroup.com/about.php
Old 12-06-10, 05:06 PM
All World

OK, what was/is the best bakery on the westside? I was a big Faultless fan ( "jimmy rolls" were like nothing else I have ever had before or since. man they were good) which was next to Grote's and the Hitching Post on Delhi Pike (it is still a "Pike" in my mind, not a dam(n) "road"). They also had a store on Rapid Run near Humberts and Glenway by PHC. Busy Bee is good, as is St. Lawrence. Thank God those two are still around. Butterkist, which was at Overlook and W8th and then moved to the former Faultless space on the Pike was also good but not as good as the others. They all beat the snot out of Buskins or Sevatti's. Not in our AO ("area of operation" for you non-military types) but Bonomini's on Blue Rock in Northside kicks butt big time. What do you all think? Were there any bakeries in Bridgetown or Mack? I know there is one near Bridgetown and Shadylane now but I don't know anything about it.
Old 12-06-10, 06:04 PM
Freshman

SSTIG is on a distinguished road
Best Bakery!!!

Quote:
OK, what was/is the best bakery on the westside? I was a big Faultless fan ( "jimmy rolls" were like nothing else I have ever had before or since. man they were good) which was next to Grote's and the Hitching Post on Delhi Pike (it is still a "Pike" in my mind, not a dam(n) "road"). They also had a store on Rapid Run near Humberts and Glenway by PHC. Busy Bee is good, as is St. Lawrence. Thank God those two are still around. Butterkist, which was at Overlook and W8th and then moved to the former Faultless space on the Pike was also good but not as good as the others. They all beat the snot out of Buskins or Sevatti's. Not in our AO ("area of operation" for you non-military types) but Bonomini's on Blue Rock in Northside kicks butt big time. What do you all think? Were there any bakeries in Bridgetown or Mack? I know there is one near Bridgetown and Shadylane now but I don't know anything about it.
The best bakery hands down was Koester's across from Our Lady of Lourdes School on Glenway!!! It closed 15 years ago I'm guessing!!!
Old 12-06-10, 07:32 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTIG View Post
The best bakery hands down was Koester's across from Our Lady of Lourdes School on Glenway!!! It closed 15 years ago I'm guessing!!!
Funny, I don't remember that. It is not like me to pass up a bakery but I must have been distracted by Sandy's. 15 years ago? Man, I should have seen it as I made my way around the westside. I guess I missed out.

I know there is a bakery still on Harrison in Cheviot. I've never tried that one. I guess I better get there while I can.
Old 12-06-10, 08:52 PM
All Region

typeman
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder Panther View Post
A & W Root Beer with the cones full of delicious draft Root Beer!!Almost as good as Frank's Bar and Grill's Schoenling on tap.
Man you are aging yourself with Franks reference.