Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Elder Panthers

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-25-18, 01:00 PM
All Yappi

EHS 2001 is on a distinguished road
Oak Hills Asking for More Money/Raising Your Taxes

Over the weekend, I saw some signs go up in my neighborhood for Issue 1 on the August 8 ballot.

Here is the text of the issue from the Board of Elections website:
Quote:
An additional tax for the benefit of the Oak Hills Local School District, County of Hamilton, Ohio, for the purpose of CURRENT OPERATING EXPENSES at a rate not exceeding four and nine-tenths (4.9) mills for each one dollar of valuation, which amounts to forty-nine cents ($0.49) for each one hundred dollars of valuation, for a continuing period of time, commencing in 2018, first due in calendar year 2019.
If your home is worth $100,000 that's an extra $490 per year.
If your home is worth $200,000 that's an extra $980 per year.
If your home is worth $300,000 that's an extra $1,470 per year.
Old 06-25-18, 02:22 PM
All American

yj_runfan is on a distinguished road
Not a fan of continuing levies. Put a time limit on them so the district has to be accountable if they want it renewed.
Old 06-25-18, 07:07 PM
All Yappi

Don Flamenco
That’s a sizable increase for homeowners. I think it’s only a matter of time before Hamilton County starts trying to raise property taxes as well.
Old 06-26-18, 06:19 AM
Varsity

sbutler is on a distinguished road
Not a fan of anyone having anything on a ballot other than in November. They do this in May or August knowing that the vast majority of people won't come out to vote.
Old 06-26-18, 06:43 AM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
#JustSayNo
Old 06-26-18, 05:28 PM
All American

Vincent and Regina is on a distinguished road
I am so glad I moved out of the City of Cincinnati and Hamilton County. The fools who run it are just plan stupid.
Old 06-26-18, 06:36 PM
All Region

Dale Cooper is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent and Regina View Post
I am so glad I moved out of the City of Cincinnati and Hamilton County. The fools who run it are just plan stupid.
You’re dumb. This has nothing to do with the City or County. If all Elder fans were like you, there’d be no school.

For all the true Elder alumni, vote this thing down.
Old 06-27-18, 07:46 AM
All American

trey2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
You’re dumb. This has nothing to do with the City or County. If all Elder fans were like you, there’d be no school.

For all the true Elder alumni, vote this thing down.
I see pboy made a return.
Old 06-27-18, 08:40 AM
All Region

voiceoreaso is on a distinguished road
So if you went to Elder you should vote down the local school district levy no matter what....That makes a lot of sense. Very educated statement.
Old 06-27-18, 08:46 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoreaso View Post
So if you went to Elder you should vote down the local school district levy no matter what....That makes a lot of sense. Very educated statement.
No matter where you went to high school, you should vote against this levy.
Old 06-27-18, 09:04 AM
All Region

I will start spreading the word. When they ask me why I am telling them to vote "No" I will tell them because EHS 2001 said so and if you went to Elder you should definitely vote "No". Can you enlighten everyone why they should vote no or should everyone just vote "No" for all levies?
Old 06-27-18, 09:11 AM
All Yappi

TylerDurden is on a distinguished road
I don't live in that school district, but part of my household income is comes from it, so everyone that can should definitely vote yes for this.
Old 06-27-18, 09:26 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
I will start spreading the word. When they ask me why I am telling them to vote "No" I will tell them because EHS 2001 said so and if you went to Elder you should definitely vote "No". Can you enlighten everyone why they should vote no or should everyone just vote "No" for all levies?
Here are my reasons for voting against it (so far) in no particular order:
  • The amount.
  • The ballot language that makes it seem like it will cost less than it actually does.
  • The continuing nature means it will never expire.
  • The fact that it's in August when very few people will vote--instead of being in May or November.
  • I haven't seen anything to convince me that Oak Hills needs this money.
Old 06-27-18, 09:30 AM
All Region

Quote:
That’s not what I said. Vote this down bc OH doesn’t need the $. The reality is Elder needs OH to maintain the perception of being a “good” school district even though the two schools HATE each other. Nobody wants to live in a crappy District even if their kids go to Pvt School.
Old 06-27-18, 12:34 PM
All Region

I seem like a punk because I dont blindly follow others? I have a mind of my own. I actually try and get facts before I make judgments. Actually Dale you seem like a punk. I'm guessing you have been following the so called cool kids your whole life. I try and make educated decisions. I dont know if I would be For or against until I investigate.

How do you know OH district doesn't need the money? Did you attend the meeting when the figures were presented? I was told it was stated they would be in financial crisis in about 3 years due to state funding being cut?
Old 06-27-18, 01:04 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
How do you know OH district doesn't need the money? Did you attend the meeting when the figures were presented? I was told it was stated they would be in financial crisis in about 3 years due to state funding being cut?
I haven't finished doing my research yet. So far all I have found is a recording of a tele-town hall with the superintendent, but I haven't had a chance to listen. In the end, it's their responsibility to convince me and other voters to support their request.
Old 06-27-18, 01:27 PM
All Region

Quote:
I seem like a punk because I dont blindly follow others? I have a mind of my own. I actually try and get facts before I make judgments. Actually Dale you seem like a punk. I'm guessing you have been following the so called cool kids your whole life. I try and make educated decisions. I dont know if I would be For or against until I investigate.

No, I just don’t believe Elder should help the enemy unless there’s a tangible benefit.
Old 06-27-18, 07:04 PM
All Yappi

Southwest Guy is on a distinguished road
John Kasich did a nice job of balancing the state budget off the backs of local communities. Throw in some administrations who over spend at times and the private public school debate rages on based on raw emotions from most of those involved.
Old 06-27-18, 07:10 PM
All Yappi

Southwest Guy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by yj_runfan View Post
Not a fan of continuing levies. Put a time limit on them so the district has to be accountable if they want it renewed.
Agree with this. A little accountability goes a long way.
Not only with these multiple levies that keep coming up but the continued annual tuition hikes in private schools.
Old 06-27-18, 07:35 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwest Guy View Post
John Kasich did a nice job of balancing the state budget off the backs of local communities. Throw in some administrations who over spend at times and the private public school debate rages on based on raw emotions from most of those involved.
Most public/Pvt schools do not share the same hatred between Elder and Oak Hills. It’s hard to forget that you’d be putting $ in the enemy’s pocket.
Old 06-27-18, 07:55 PM
All District

ElderHockeyDad
A 4.82 mil continuous levy just passed in May 2017.

What irks me is they can just keep putting these levies on the ballot at random times of the year until they can get the pro turnout to pass it.

Don't you wish you could get all your co-workers together and get them to vote for a $1.00 an hour pay raise for everyone?
Old 06-27-18, 09:11 PM
All Yappi

PantherVOR is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwest Guy View Post
But no one seems to remember that he also cut our state income taxes early in his tenure as governor. The theory being that we would be willing to spend some of those savings on local issues important to us, giving us more control over how that money is spent. Unfortunately human nature makes that theory likely to fail, especially in this day and age. I have not yet researched the Oak Hills levy so I will not voice an opinion on that at this point however at some point we are going to have to pay for the government services we expect to have. Things like Schools, bridges and safety services are not free.
Old 06-28-18, 09:30 AM
All American

CincyHSFootballFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherVOR View Post
But no one seems to remember that he also cut our state income taxes early in his tenure as governor. The theory being that we would be willing to spend some of those savings on local issues important to us, giving us more control over how that money is spent. Unfortunately human nature makes that theory likely to fail, especially in this day and age. I have not yet researched the Oak Hills levy so I will not voice an opinion on that at this point however at some point we are going to have to pay for the government services we expect to have. Things like Schools, bridges and safety services are not free.
Exactly right on JK. I love what he has done to balance the budget in Ohio and their is a fine line on these levies. If the money is truly needed, then anyone living in Green Township would be wise to vote yes. Just take a look at what happened in Little Miami, where they stripped their schools bare, in terms of not passing levies, until their was pretty much no extracurricular activities offered, no band, no after school programs, etc. The state took over the schools and property values decreased.

Now I don't see Oak Hills being like Little Miami, however it is a good lesson that just blindly voting no on these does in fact come back to bite you when your property value plummets because your school district offers nothing.
Old 06-28-18, 10:28 AM
All American

polar panther is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElderHockeyDad View Post

What irks me is they can just keep putting these levies on the ballot at random times of the year until they can get the pro turnout to pass it.

Don't you wish you could get all your co-workers together and get them to vote for a $1.00 an hour pay raise for everyone?
Another levy so soon seems a bit much, especially such a large one at that, and on the heals of getting one passed last year. We also need to remember not that long ago when they just happened to find a large sum just after a levy failed.
Old 06-28-18, 03:25 PM
All Yappi

PURPLE REIGN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Old 06-28-18, 07:37 PM
All District

ElderHockeyDad
Quote:
Originally Posted by EHS 2001 View Post
Over the weekend, I saw some signs go up in my neighborhood for Issue 1 on the August 8 ballot.

Here is the text of the issue from the Board of Elections website:

If your home is worth $100,000 that's an extra $490 per year.
If your home is worth $200,000 that's an extra $980 per year.
If your home is worth $300,000 that's an extra $1,470 per year.
Someone is not telling the truth, I got a survey call tonight from Oak Hills School District asking if I would vote yes or no for the levy. The recorded message says it would cost someone with a $100,000 home $14.00 a month, or $168.00 a year. Says the same thing on Oak Hills website.

Directly from the ballot: An additional tax for the benefit of the Oak Hills Local School District, County of Hamilton, Ohio, for the purpose of CURRENT OPERATING EXPENSES at a rate not exceeding four and nine-tenths (4.9) mills for each one dollar of valuation, which amounts to forty-nine cents ($0.49) for each one hundred dollars of valuation, for a continuing period of time, commencing in 2018, first due in calendar year 2019.
That equals the $490.00 per year that EHS2001 wrote above. Maybe the $168.00 is calculated with Common Core math?
Old 06-28-18, 08:29 PM
All Region

Quote:
Someone is not telling the truth, I got a survey call tonight from Oak Hills School District asking if I would vote yes or no for the levy. The recorded message says it would cost someone with a $100,000 home $14.00 a month, or $168.00 a year. Says the same thing on Oak Hills website.

Directly from the ballot: An additional tax for the benefit of the Oak Hills Local School District, County of Hamilton, Ohio, for the purpose of CURRENT OPERATING EXPENSES at a rate not exceeding four and nine-tenths (4.9) mills for each one dollar of valuation, which amounts to forty-nine cents ($0.49) for each one hundred dollars of valuation, for a continuing period of time, commencing in 2018, first due in calendar year 2019.
That equals the $490.00 per year that EHS2001 wrote above. Maybe the $168.00 is calculated with Common Core math?
Who cares? Don’t give them a dime more than necessary. Vote it down.
Old 06-28-18, 10:35 PM
All American

SMARTY22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

The Oak Hills Local School Districts Treasurer is an Elder Grad. He should be able to honestly answer questions about the “Real Numbers” that are on a survey call or the school districts website. Shoot him an email or give him a call at his office. And kudos for caring about the disparity in the numbers you have saw and heard so far and seeking factual numbers before its to late!
Old 06-28-18, 11:02 PM
All Region

jjk10 is on a distinguished road
The ballot issue can be read at the board of elections website.
it is there for all to see.

http://boe.hamilton-co.org/files/fil...llot_proof.pdf
Old 06-29-18, 06:47 AM
All Yappi

PantherVOR is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Who cares? Don’t give them a dime more than necessary. Vote it down.
So what is "necessary" smart guy?