Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-16-18, 06:52 AM
All District

guyinahoodie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog1974 View Post
On a side note, the turf at Reid Stadium is going to be updated with new. I do not have a time frame for this.

Seems like the stadium just was redone, but it has been 10 years.
Will it have hash marks this time?
Old 04-16-18, 07:18 AM
All Ohio

bop is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyinahoodie View Post
Heard new track and new field turf at EP this summer.
Old 04-16-18, 09:05 AM
All American

bulldog1974 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'd hope so, then again, surprised at just it being replaced, along with the track.

Would hope a new scoreboard would be in the offering, that small one is a joke for a facility that nice.
Old 04-16-18, 02:18 PM
All Ohio

boomer24 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
That would just confuse people. LOL!

Looking forward to seeing a new turf surface at EP.
Old 04-16-18, 02:19 PM
All Ohio

boomer24 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog1974 View Post
I'd hope so, then again, surprised at just it being replaced, along with the track.

Would hope a new scoreboard would be in the offering, that small one is a joke for a facility that nice.
You need a jumbo-tron like they have in Salem.
Old 04-16-18, 03:19 PM
All American

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer24 View Post
That would just confuse people. LOL!
Ya, even some of the officials are confused.
Old 04-17-18, 06:51 AM
All Ohio

I wonder if it is worth it having an all weather track and field. The kids benefit greatly no doubt and really that is what matters. The financial end is what I am wondering. I heard 500k to replace it all. Where does a school come up with that kind of money every 10 years? I cannot imagine that is costs that much to cut, line and maintain a cinder track and grass field for 10 years. Our field in Lisbon is nothing like it used to be and we don't even have a track, well we have a blacktopped circle the kids can run on but it is not a track. I love going to EP, it is a beautiful facility and will be even nicer come fall.
Old 04-17-18, 10:12 AM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bop View Post
I wonder if it is worth it having an all weather track and field. The kids benefit greatly no doubt and really that is what matters. The financial end is what I am wondering. I heard 500k to replace it all. Where does a school come up with that kind of money every 10 years? I cannot imagine that is costs that much to cut, line and maintain a cinder track and grass field for 10 years. Our field in Lisbon is nothing like it used to be and we don't even have a track, well we have a blacktopped circle the kids can run on but it is not a track. I love going to EP, it is a beautiful facility and will be even nicer come fall.
A properly maintained grass field will cost you a lot of money a year. Sadly, most small schools that operate a grass field barely maintain it anyways. There's much more cost than just cutting and lining the field. There's fertilizer, weed killing, rolling, etc. Most schools use the same tractor that would cut the front lawn to then do the football field. So, they don't equate the cost of that so much because it's a cost already accounted for elsewhere.

The biggest benefit of going to turf, and having an all-weather track, is that you can do SO MUCH MORE on the turf than you can on a grass field. When I was in HS and even before in junior high and middle school, the football field was exclusive for varsity and junior varsity football games (and for a while a college played their games there). So, roughly 15 times a year it was used. Practice was held on the practice field. Other sports and gym classes were held on the practice field. Marching band practice was on the practice field.

Now, they have turf, and they do almost all of that on the main field. And they've now added girls and boys soccer to their sports offerings for students because they have a field worthy enough that can hold up to it.

So, in that regard, is may be worth it. The biggest expense is the switch from grass to turf taking anywhere from $600k to $1m depending on how much work is needed and which brand is installed, how much coloring you're doing (plain endzones, colored, logo at midfield, etc).

It's best to at least fund raise for the initial switch and then the school will pay to maintain and replace it in the future. That's what my hs did. Otherwise, they'd never have put in turf. School's much too small now but it's night-and-day difference between the shoddy grass/muddy field they had before and the crispness of a turf field that can be used again and again and again. Even in heavy rains.
Old 04-17-18, 05:57 PM
All World

kingpin2010 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Replacing a turf field is not nearly as much cost as the initial installing of it. It's quite possible the life span of the first field is a money loser, but then expanding it to the 2nd field lifespan it may work out positively over the 20-24 year lifespan. Like Syk said, a turf field you can host more games/events which brings in more revenue on top of the elimination of upkeep. With a track you can start hosting track meets to bring in revenue. I think if a school, especially a small school, is going to invest in this type of facility they should really come up with a plan to have events and such to maximize the usage and revenue of the place. Maybe host a flag football tournament, youth soccer tournaments etc
Old 04-18-18, 06:37 AM
All American

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin2010 View Post
Replacing a turf field is not nearly as much cost as the initial installing of it. It's quite possible the life span of the first field is a money loser, but then expanding it to the 2nd field lifespan it may work out positively over the 20-24 year lifespan. Like Syk said, a turf field you can host more games/events which brings in more revenue on top of the elimination of upkeep. With a track you can start hosting track meets to bring in revenue. I think if a school, especially a small school, is going to invest in this type of facility they should really come up with a plan to have events and such to maximize the usage and revenue of the place. Maybe host a flag football tournament, youth soccer tournaments etc
One of the previous "selling" points for the Turf, when the stadium was originally upgraded, was to possibly host the Penn-Ohio game, playoff games for lower divisions, etc. None of that ever transpired, except EP continues to hold some large meets during track season. Odd that more seating was not provided for to accommodate such events when it was redone. Politics obviously have played into that arrangement, along with the basic no frill scoreboard. Shame, it is a great facility that carries a handicap in that aspect.
Old 04-18-18, 06:37 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin2010 View Post
Great points. I did not realize that the second turf would last 20-24 years. That seems more manageable financially. I wish all of the schools had them. Our kids practice on a small field and by midseason, it is a mud hole.
Old 04-18-18, 08:45 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Great points. I did not realize that the second turf would last 20-24 years. That seems more manageable financially. I wish all of the schools had them. Our kids practice on a small field and by midseason, it is a mud hole.
The 2nd turf's lifespan will still be 10-12 years, but you're spreading the initial installation costs (excavation, installation of drainage layers, underground utilities, etc.) over the lifespan of 2 turfs which would be about 20-24 years, so the average annual cost of having turf will decrease during the 2nd turf's lifespan.

The other thing about turf is it depends on which sports your school offers. If your school doesn't offer soccer or freshman football, and if your field doesn't host junior high or other youth football games, then turf is not as good of an investment. It all comes down to how much use your field sees during the course of a year.

Prior to having turf, my HS had varsity, JV, and freshman football. There was also boys and girls soccer of both varsity and JV levels. They also were home to another HS's varsity football team, and they would host multiple junior high CYO football games on Sundays. The field would rarely have a break in its usage during the fall. Midfield barely had any grass left by midseason, and if an early season contest or two took place in muddy conditions, forget about it. With turf, all of those events could be handled. Plus, there were opportunities to rent the field outside of the school's fall sports schedule. The stadium has hosted HS playoff games in both football and soccer, semi-pro football games, soccer talent showcases, and other events. These events don't make the athletic department rich, but it's revenue that can be put toward the replacement of the existing turf or other facility maintenance. Additionally, the school has added lacrosse in the spring, and the baseball and softball teams can practice on the turf during the early part of their season while they're waiting for the spring thaw that comes before their fields are fit for everyday use. The turf is also nice for giving track athletes with lower leg issues a break from the constant pounding they get on the track surface.
Old 04-18-18, 02:41 PM
All American

Although for next year, here is the new enrollment figures for basketball. Not that it matters on a football thread. Dogs have 170. Just an interesting item for count reference.

http://www.ohsaa.org/Sports-Tourname...etball-2018-19
Old 04-18-18, 07:29 PM
All World

kingpin2010 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Slippery explained what I meant, all the turf still lasts about 10-12 years, but the deeper you go and spread out the initial installation costs. Really rough numbers but say it costs 700k to install, them 400k to replace, that's 1.1 million over 22ish years instead of 700k over 11ish. Just a different perspective. Also I know some schools have turf that lasts over the recommended years and still in decent shape
Old 04-18-18, 11:13 PM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
When Greenville (PA) went to turf, it was $600k to switch to turf, and was said to be about $300k to replace it in the future as needed. Some turf only lasts 7+ years. Some last longer. 12 years with nominal use and good upkeep of the infill, is doable.

But, most turf will get you 10 years minimum now. Tears are the big issue with longer use. Turf can 'look bad', but still be functional. It's as it tears that it can become an issue. Replacing infill can be an issue if it's plowed a lot in the winter above normal use.

Most new fields use tiny plastic pebbles rather than ground rubber tires as infill. It's a bit more, but the complaints about getting it in your eyes as a player are eliminated.

But, as said before, it's what you can do with a turf field that makes it financially viable. A field that once saw maybe 15 or so uses a year is now able to see hundreds. In all weather conditions imaginable.
Old 04-21-18, 07:06 PM
All World

Raider#23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
That was one of my pet peeves of EP's beautiful stadium. Your never sure if it's the 42 or the 43 yard line

But in all seriousness, you could tell that the turf was looking faded and worn the past year or two. Excited to see what it looks like this fall.
Old 04-22-18, 02:31 PM
All American

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider#23 View Post
That was one of my pet peeves of EP's beautiful stadium. Your never sure if it's the 42 or the 43 yard line

But in all seriousness, you could tell that the turf was looking faded and worn the past year or two. Excited to see what it looks like this fall.
I would hope the previous deficiencies would be addressed this time around. AKA, scoreboard and that horrible 1960's PA system. Those horn speakers have been up since the late 60's, if not longer. It's 2018, surely it's time to update.