Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Elder Panthers

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-05-18, 09:25 AM
All American

CincyHSFootballFan is on a distinguished road
Just in the last 5 or so years there have been several old schools turned into apartments all over town. I know of them in Walnut Hills, OTR and Bellview Kentucky.
Old 01-05-18, 10:02 AM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig Hansen View Post
Been fearing this for years, really sucks because it's a huge retail space that will probably never see another tenant move in. Would be nice the owners tear it down soon instead of letting it sit vacant for years and years. When Sears eventually dies for good, I hope someone picks up Craftsman tools. I still remember the Sears Hardware store next to Bigg's

I actually liked Sears but they stopped selling men's clothing for some reason. Haven't been there since
Sears has no one to blame but themselves. Had every opportunity to be Amazon before Amazon blew up. The only reason this one closing sucks is it was such an anchor store for so long at the Western Hills plaza. I think it'll be hard to find someone else to replace all that store front.
Old 01-05-18, 10:03 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHS 2001 View Post
Some news about what will/should open in Green Township in 2018: https://www.cincinnati.com/story/new...nes/973552001/ Panera, Raisin Cane's, McAllister's.
Awesome!
Old 01-05-18, 10:04 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHSFootballFan View Post
Just in the last 5 or so years there have been several old schools turned into apartments all over town. I know of them in Walnut Hills, OTR and Bellview Kentucky.
I'm not sure about the Walnut Hills and Bellview ones, but the one in OTR is awesome. Especially since they put that park/swimming pool right across the street and a parking garage next to it.
Old 01-05-18, 06:06 PM
All Ohio

polar panther is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Agreed, people seem to think the school will be turned into apartments or something, but they ignore how expensive and complicated a renovation like that would be. If the St. Rita's thing is real, Westwood needs to jump on that immediately because it's probably the best offer they'll ever get for that piece of land.
Very true, if St.Rita's gets the GE big bucks, there won't be a better set of circumstances for the Sisters of Mercy to wait around for.
Old 01-05-18, 08:49 PM
Junior Varsity

Cincinnati_Kid is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Been fearing this for years, really sucks because it's a huge retail space that will probably never see another tenant move in. Would be nice the owners tear it down soon instead of letting it sit vacant for years and years. When Sears eventually dies for good, I hope someone picks up Craftsman tools. I still remember the Sears Hardware store next to Bigg's

I actually liked Sears but they stopped selling men's clothing for some reason. Haven't been there since
I think that spot will be filled considering it's in such a prominent location. We'll probably see another what I call "westside shuffle". A place like Hobbby Lobby could take up two of the floors or the Dillard's outlet store could move in.

I still say it was a big mistake to build Glenway Crossing and the surrounding area after the rail yard moved out. It would have been the perfect spot to put in new housing. Now we have a glut of commercial space that is only going to get worse as more people shop online.

Sears has been my family's store of choice for decades, especially once all of the local store were gone, so I'm sad to see it go as well. The Western Hills location still sells men's cloths, so I'm not sure what happened the last time you were there. The selection certainly isn't that great thought, aside from jeans and the Land's End stuff. On any other item, we'd try to give Sears our business before anyone else considering we knew had bad off they were. I even bought a mattress from them a couple years ago. I'm surprised it held on this long, so maybe all of that shopping we did there paid off lol!
Old 01-05-18, 08:59 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Sears has no one to blame but themselves. Had every opportunity to be Amazon before Amazon blew up. The only reason this one closing sucks is it was such an anchor store for so long at the Western Hills plaza. I think it'll be hard to find someone else to replace all that store front.
They basically still are just like Amazon. If you check their website, they carry just about anything you can think of. The problem is, CEO Eddie Lampert has no idea how to run the company apart from selling anything and everything he can until the company turns a profit. Hedge fund managers are the worst.
Old 01-05-18, 10:54 PM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by trey2k View Post
They've brought back to life much crappier buildings in OTR. There's plenty of money out there to refurbish it into apartments/condos. The question is will they get a return based on where it is.
Yes, OTR is one of the hottest real estate neighborhoods in the midwest with developers and people lining up to move in. Westwood does not have that. Highly doubt those apartments would ever be able to command a high enough rent to make the project profitable. The thought that Westwood would oppose St. Rita's moving there is pretty ridiculous though. All those deaf kids are really going to ruin the neighborhood
Old 01-06-18, 07:56 AM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
They basically still are just like Amazon. If you check their website, they carry just about anything you can think of. The problem is, CEO Eddie Lampert has no idea how to run the company apart from selling anything and everything he can until the company turns a profit. Hedge fund managers are the worst.
Yes, Sears and J.C. Pennys were the Amazon of the fifties, sixties and seventies. We would frequent the store behind Elder on Glenway, when Dad would be off work (as mom didn't drive at that time). Most of what Mom bought from them was by mail order. Just like Amazon except with a phone call or mail in order rather than a computer.
Old 01-06-18, 08:30 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFF View Post
Look. I have no problem. But your delusional if you think neighbors will allow a variance for a "residential facility" no matter how innocent. Zoning laws have changed a little since the nuns lived there don't you think
Quote:
Highest and best use. Residential
Am I missing something????
Old 01-06-18, 09:29 AM
All World

HTFF is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post
Am I missing something????
Single family houses after the old facility is torn down.
Old 01-06-18, 11:30 AM
All World

Quote:
Single family houses after the old facility is torn down.
Sorry. Not at all likely. Maybe town houses or landominiums, but there is no way they would put single family homes, that would be acceptable to the neighbors, on that property, unless they do a Citirama project there. Without a cul de sac they could build maybe 21 homes facing Werk, Epworth and Romona. With a cul de sac added they could do maybe 30 in all. Maybe, but I do not think it is likely. Time will tell.
Old 01-08-18, 12:26 AM
Junior Varsity

I heard that Mac Shack is going in where Tom+Chee was. Now there's a restaurant I can get behind!
Old 01-08-18, 09:56 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
I heard that Mac Shack is going in where Tom+Chee was. Now there's a restaurant I can get behind!
Looks interesting
Old 01-09-18, 05:15 PM
All World

Quote:
I was a big fan of Tom+Chee going back to the Fountain Square and Findley Market days. I frequented the Court Street location monthly and would go to the Newport location whenever I was at the Levee. I had been to the Bridgetown location four or five times. I used to love the quirkiness of the place and lamented the slick corporate style to which they went. A little while after the Shark Tank episode they quickly started to expand, got rid of the legos and happy meal toys at the counter and worse of all they got rid of the chalkboard menu. Things really went down hill when they lost their relationship with Grippos (the owner told me they tried to get the Grippos family to expand to accommodate their needs and then offered to buy them out when they refused to expand). There were no more roast beef grilled cheese with barbecue Grippos on the menu.

Other than the loss of the Bridgetown store, I do not know what is in store after the Gold Star takeover. Maybe the Mayor will run it after his current term ends.
Old 01-10-18, 12:07 PM
All District

natihsfan is on a distinguished road
Anyone know what's happening on River Rd near the failed drive-thru?
Old 01-11-18, 10:08 AM
All World

Quote:
Isn't that an extension of Keystone Bar and Grill?
Old 01-11-18, 04:04 PM
All Yappi

PantherVOR is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by natihsfan View Post
Anyone know what's happening on River Rd near the failed drive-thru?
Yeah I was wondering the same thing. CincyHSFootballFan?
Old 01-12-18, 06:43 PM
Freshman

Melody is on a distinguished road
Haven't been on in a few weeks alot to catch up on. My mom got $50 in Tom + Chee gift cards for Christmas so was quite upset when we went the other day to find they had already closed (12/31). That Mac Shack place looks interesting though!

I went to Walnut Hills HS and from what my parents and I heard they were looking at the Mercy building also for a "Walnut Hills West" or extension of their college prep program currently at Dater. Not sure if that would be in addition to or just moving from where it is now behind West High.

Not sure I should say where I work but our company has been waiting for Sears to close for years in hopes to move there. But we heard Dicks Sporting Goods is also very interested in the spot. Much too large a space so would need to be split up somehow though.

Also Joella's Hot Chicken (In Cresent Springs KY) is building a Cincinnati location and currently hiring a general manager. The location hasn't been confirmed as far as I know. I would love to see one on this side of town my dad loves it. But I suspect it will be downtown somewhere. At least we are finally getting Raising Canes! I have gone to Colerain 3 times already since they opened! Never been to McAlister's deli but that looks great too!

Excited for all these new restaurants on the west side!
Old 01-13-18, 12:21 PM
All Yappi

Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELDERfbfan View Post
I heard that St.Al's on the ohio is closing for good...anyone else know about this rumor?
There's a FB Support group.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/940849806056102?ref=gysj
Old 01-14-18, 12:13 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Isn't that an extension of Keystone Bar and Grill?
Yup, it's basically their mac & cheese menu with a bunch of different options for toppings.
Old 01-17-18, 09:20 PM
All Yappi

PantherVOR is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjk10 View Post
AJJ India restaurant is moving into the old Delhi chili location. Should be interesting.
Not sure when they are opening.
What happened to this restaurant? They were full steam ahead and then nothing? Money issues?
Old 01-19-18, 09:21 AM
All Yappi

EHS 2001 is on a distinguished road
This building on Westwood Ave near the intersection with Grand Ave burned today.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1249...7i13312!8i6656

http://local12.com/news/local/large-...outh-fairmount
Old 01-19-18, 10:24 AM
All District

Falcon11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody View Post
But we heard Dicks Sporting Goods is also very interested in the spot. Much too large a space so would need to be split up somehow though.
I've been to many Dicks locations that are HUGE 2 story stores, so I'm not sure that it would have to be split up...
Old 01-21-18, 10:52 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon11 View Post
I've been to many Dicks locations that are HUGE 2 story stores, so I'm not sure that it would have to be split up...
Our store is the smallest one in the Tri-State. I have had to go to NKY or Kenwood several times to pick-up stuff that the Western Hills store did not have room to carry. I hope that they do move into Sears and fill the place up.
Old 01-24-18, 06:31 AM
All Yappi

EHS 2001 is on a distinguished road
The Toys-R-Us in Western Hills is scheduled to close as part of the chain's bankruptcy proceedings.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/mon...se/1060825001/
Old 01-24-18, 07:53 AM
All World

Really I'm surprised it took this long. That plaza area has never done that well as a retail location. Every time I drive up there the parking lots are maybe 1/10th full and most of the cars are there for Champions and Pirate's Den.
Old 01-24-18, 09:05 AM
All Yappi

Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
The Toys-R-Us in Western Hills is scheduled to close as part of the chain's bankruptcy proceedings.

Amazon adds another body bag. It's kinda sad, but it's the new economy.
Old 01-24-18, 01:21 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

Like Taco said I'm shocked it took that long. Hopefully the storage place takes over the whole building.
Old 01-30-18, 05:01 PM
All District

vanman396 is on a distinguished road
Rumor has it that the BW3's on Anderson Ferry at Crookshank will be closing in the near future while they look for a new spot on Harrison Pike (Dent, Taylor Creek).