Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Elder Panthers

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #3931  
Old 12-24-17, 09:27 AM
PantherVOR's Avatar
PantherVOR PantherVOR is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-03
Location: Southwest Ohio
Posts: 10,233
PantherVOR is on a distinguished road
Anybody know what's going on with the old Belmer building on the 6th St Viaduct? It looks like they are building an observation deck of some sort on it.
Reply With Quote
  #3932  
Old 12-24-17, 10:36 AM
CincyHSfootball CincyHSfootball is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 10-26-09
Posts: 594
CincyHSfootball is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherVOR View Post
Anybody know what's going on with the old Belmer building on the 6th St Viaduct? It looks like they are building an observation deck of some sort on it.
Belmer Building (555 Carr) was a vacant building. Here are the renovation plans and use of the building. Also the 5th floor deck they are building. There are some projects like this going on in Queensgate and Lower Price Hill.

http://city-egov.cincinnati-oh.gov/W...27201600905%27

Current Status of Property (see Attachment A)
The property is a 60,000 vacant warehouse located within an industrial area of
Queensgate.

Project Description
The company will renovate an 1890 four story brick and heavy timber warehouse into
offices for multiple architectural and engineering firms with a 5th floor addition for
conference and employee dining at a total projected cost of $4.7 million.
Reply With Quote
  #3933  
Old 12-24-17, 11:57 AM
HTFF HTFF is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 07-23-04
Posts: 3,198
HTFF is on a distinguished road
What ever happened to the Kroger plan to build a new store on Harrison next to the theater?
Reply With Quote
  #3934  
Old 12-24-17, 12:19 PM
jjk10 jjk10 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 06-29-07
Posts: 331
jjk10 is on a distinguished road
I thought they put it on hold for a while, a long with the new store in Anderson.
Reply With Quote
  #3935  
Old 12-24-17, 12:51 PM
EHS 2001 EHS 2001 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-05-02
Location: The Pit Elder High School
Posts: 9,715
EHS 2001 is on a distinguished road
Ditto with the marketplace store planned for Colerain Ave. Kroger made serious cutbacks on their capital spending after a couple of bad quarters.
Reply With Quote
  #3936  
Old 12-26-17, 08:20 AM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 4,208
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I've heard they plan on putting all that on hold until after the new Downtown store/offices open.
Reply With Quote
  #3937  
Old 12-26-17, 12:10 PM
PantherVOR's Avatar
PantherVOR PantherVOR is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-03
Location: Southwest Ohio
Posts: 10,233
PantherVOR is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHSfootball View Post
Belmer Building (555 Carr) was a vacant building. Here are the renovation plans and use of the building. Also the 5th floor deck they are building. There are some projects like this going on in Queensgate and Lower Price Hill.

http://city-egov.cincinnati-oh.gov/W...27201600905%27

Current Status of Property (see Attachment A)
The property is a 60,000 vacant warehouse located within an industrial area of
Queensgate.

Project Description
The company will renovate an 1890 four story brick and heavy timber warehouse into
offices for multiple architectural and engineering firms with a 5th floor addition for
conference and employee dining at a total projected cost of $4.7 million.
Thanks Cincy! Good to see that building be repurposed.
Reply With Quote
  #3938  
Old 12-26-17, 12:13 PM
PantherVOR's Avatar
PantherVOR PantherVOR is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-03
Location: Southwest Ohio
Posts: 10,233
PantherVOR is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EHS 2001 View Post
Ditto with the marketplace store planned for Colerain Ave. Kroger made serious cutbacks on their capital spending after a couple of bad quarters.
I believe they are rethinking their game plan with Amazon jumping into the grocery market.
Reply With Quote
  #3939  
Old 12-27-17, 10:28 PM
Purplemojo Purplemojo is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 11-20-08
Posts: 3,565
Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
Over the weekend I heard there are plans for the use of the old Mercy campus. I heard that GE very much wants to expand and is willing to pay big bucks to St. Rita, allowing St. Rita to move to Mercy's campus and making all of the necessary improvements and upgrades to accommodate the special need children.
Reply With Quote
  #3940  
Old 01-01-18, 04:17 PM
HTFF HTFF is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 07-23-04
Posts: 3,198
HTFF is on a distinguished road
Doubt Westwood would allow that. Would require zoning changes to accommodate living quarters.
Reply With Quote
  #3941  
Old 01-02-18, 07:46 AM
Purplemojo Purplemojo is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 11-20-08
Posts: 3,565
Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFF View Post
Doubt Westwood would allow that. Would require zoning changes to accommodate living quarters.
?????? Why in the world would they object to another Catholic school moving into that facility? It would be a perfect use of an important neighborhood landmark and would keep less desirable uses from taking place.
Reply With Quote
  #3942  
Old 01-02-18, 08:14 AM
adselder09 adselder09 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-11-07
Posts: 14,275
adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Well based on his post, it isn't that simple. So that's one for starters.
Reply With Quote
  #3943  
Old 01-02-18, 09:12 AM
HTFF HTFF is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 07-23-04
Posts: 3,198
HTFF is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post
?????? Why in the world would they object to another Catholic school moving into that facility? It would be a perfect use of an important neighborhood landmark and would keep less desirable uses from taking place.
The neighborhood has changed a little in the last 100 years. It is a very NIMBY community
Reply With Quote
  #3944  
Old 01-02-18, 09:18 AM
MickeyMantle MickeyMantle is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-13-09
Location: Cushy state job
Posts: 16,351
MickeyMantle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFF View Post
The neighborhood has changed a little in the last 100 years. It is a very NIMBY community
If you're right, Westwood folks deserve the decay. However, I can't imagine a campaign to keep a school for the deaf out of their backyard, especially considering possible alternatives.

Unless I have the wrong St. Rita?
Reply With Quote
  #3945  
Old 01-02-18, 09:25 AM
EHS 2001 EHS 2001 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-05-02
Location: The Pit Elder High School
Posts: 9,715
EHS 2001 is on a distinguished road
If GE Aviation really plans to expand, why would they purchase a property on the other side of I-75?
Reply With Quote
  #3946  
Old 01-02-18, 10:19 AM
Purplemojo Purplemojo is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 11-20-08
Posts: 3,565
Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFF View Post
The neighborhood has changed a little in the last 100 years. It is a very NIMBY community
Yeah, I guess there is a big problem with deaf street gangs. There is no way in the world that the St. Rita kids would be more trouble than a bunch of teenaged girls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFF View Post
Doubt Westwood would allow that. Would require zoning changes to accommodate living quarters.
I am sure that would not be an problem. There were nuns living there at one time and all of the alternative uses involve there being housing (senior housing, condos, apartments).

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHS 2001 View Post
If GE Aviation really plans to expand, why would they purchase a property on the other side of I-75?
I thought the same thing, but that is what I heard, for what it is worth.
Reply With Quote
  #3947  
Old 01-02-18, 11:45 AM
HTFF HTFF is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 07-23-04
Posts: 3,198
HTFF is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post
Yeah, I guess there is a big problem with deaf street gangs. There is no way in the world that the St. Rita kids would be more trouble than a bunch of teenaged girls.



I am sure that would not be an problem. There were nuns living there at one time and all of the alternative uses involve there being housing (senior housing, condos, apartments).



I thought the same thing, but that is what I heard, for what it is worth.
Look. I have no problem. But your delusional if you think neighbors will allow a variance for a "residential facility" no matter how innocent. Zoning laws have changed a little since the nuns lived there don't you think
Reply With Quote
  #3948  
Old 01-02-18, 11:47 AM
HTFF HTFF is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 07-23-04
Posts: 3,198
HTFF is on a distinguished road
My guess is the building will be torn down and the land sold
Reply With Quote
  #3949  
Old 01-03-18, 04:44 PM
Purplemojo Purplemojo is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 11-20-08
Posts: 3,565
Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFF View Post
Look. I have no problem. But your delusional if you think neighbors will allow a variance for a "residential facility" no matter how innocent. Zoning laws have changed a little since the nuns lived there don't you think

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFF View Post
My guess is the building will be torn down and the land sold
OK, I'll bite...sold for what? What other than a school or residential will go in there?
Reply With Quote
  #3950  
Old 01-04-18, 04:13 PM
Cincinnati_Kid Cincinnati_Kid is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 02-06-14
Posts: 50
Cincinnati_Kid is on a distinguished road
The Sears on Glenway is closing in April.
Reply With Quote
  #3951  
Old 01-04-18, 04:40 PM
epanther epanther is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 12-03-03
Location: Cincy
Posts: 849
epanther is on a distinguished road
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHS 2001 View Post
If GE Aviation really plans to expand, why would they purchase a property on the other side of I-75?
GE rents/owns property all over tri-county and into fairfield.
Reply With Quote
  #3952  
Old 01-04-18, 07:32 PM
ELDERfbfan ELDERfbfan is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 08-22-13
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 370
ELDERfbfan is on a distinguished road
I heard that St.Al's on the ohio is closing for good...anyone else know about this rumor?
Reply With Quote
  #3953  
Old 01-04-18, 11:41 PM
HTFF HTFF is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 07-23-04
Posts: 3,198
HTFF is on a distinguished road
Tom+Chee also closing
Reply With Quote
  #3954  
Old 01-04-18, 11:42 PM
HTFF HTFF is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 07-23-04
Posts: 3,198
HTFF is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post
OK, I'll bite...sold for what? What other than a school or residential will go in there?
Highest and best use. Residential
Reply With Quote
  #3955  
Old 01-05-18, 12:19 AM
Cincinnati_Kid Cincinnati_Kid is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 02-06-14
Posts: 50
Cincinnati_Kid is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFF View Post
Tom+Chee also closing
You'll probably see Goldstar move in there or the one on Glenway will start serving some Tom+Chee items. They said the decision was beyond their control, so this is probably a result of the buyout. I read that Tom+Chee was getting ready to file for bankruptcy, so the decision was made to sell to Goldstar instead.
Reply With Quote
  #3956  
Old 01-05-18, 01:07 AM
Sig Hansen Sig Hansen is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 03-28-08
Location: not Cleveland
Posts: 17,592
Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
The Sears on Glenway is closing in April.
Been fearing this for years, really sucks because it's a huge retail space that will probably never see another tenant move in. Would be nice the owners tear it down soon instead of letting it sit vacant for years and years. When Sears eventually dies for good, I hope someone picks up Craftsman tools. I still remember the Sears Hardware store next to Bigg's

I actually liked Sears but they stopped selling men's clothing for some reason. Haven't been there since
Reply With Quote
  #3957  
Old 01-05-18, 01:15 AM
Sig Hansen Sig Hansen is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 03-28-08
Location: not Cleveland
Posts: 17,592
Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFF View Post
Highest and best use. Residential
Agreed, people seem to think the school will be turned into apartments or something, but they ignore how expensive and complicated a renovation like that would be. If the St. Rita's thing is real, Westwood needs to jump on that immediately because it's probably the best offer they'll ever get for that piece of land.
Reply With Quote
  #3958  
Old 01-05-18, 07:47 AM
EHS 2001 EHS 2001 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-05-02
Location: The Pit Elder High School
Posts: 9,715
EHS 2001 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig Hansen View Post
When Sears eventually dies for good, I hope someone picks up Craftsman tools.
Sears sold the Craftsman brand to Stanley Black & Decker a year ago today. http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...aftsman-brand/
Reply With Quote
  #3959  
Old 01-05-18, 07:54 AM
EHS 2001 EHS 2001 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-05-02
Location: The Pit Elder High School
Posts: 9,715
EHS 2001 is on a distinguished road
Some news about what will/should open in Green Township in 2018: https://www.cincinnati.com/story/new...nes/973552001/ Panera, Raisin Cane's, McAllister's.
Reply With Quote
  #3960  
Old 01-05-18, 08:56 AM
trey2k trey2k is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 12-21-15
Posts: 2,215
trey2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig Hansen View Post
Agreed, people seem to think the school will be turned into apartments or something, but they ignore how expensive and complicated a renovation like that would be. If the St. Rita's thing is real, Westwood needs to jump on that immediately because it's probably the best offer they'll ever get for that piece of land.
They've brought back to life much crappier buildings in OTR. There's plenty of money out there to refurbish it into apartments/condos. The question is will they get a return based on where it is.

Last edited by trey2k; 01-05-18 at 09:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz