Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-12-17, 09:21 PM
All Yappi

PantherVOR is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobcatBomber View Post
At Western, I presume?
Correct.
Old 05-12-17, 09:30 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Bowled two winters in my late teens. Average was ~137. LOL Never drank more than one beer per night, but this night I had a few. Entered tenth with a 186. Seemed calm, but I nearly guttered (the ball), picking up only the seven pin, I believe. Collected myself and found the pocket again for a spare, putting me at 196. Next ball in the pocket again, a strike! No wait... a foul!!! Somewhat disappointing, but still hilarious considering my condition.

Practicing on my own one day, I rolled five strikes in a row. Then, this really cute teen girl approached me and asked "to borrow" a quarter (for the game machine). Well, you know what I did and then what happened to my streak. Wanted so bad to be angry, but...

Last edited by EagleGuy; 05-12-17 at 09:31 PM. Reason: insert "girl":)
Old 05-12-17, 09:54 PM
All District

buckeye53 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
I've a friend who by chance stubled upon a bowling tournament in Las Vegas. He was amazed at how many balls a pro bowler brings today. He asked one bowler and was told one ball was used only for the 10 pin and another ball was used solely for the 7 pin. The guy had six balls in all, carried in something like a rolling luggage carrier.
My cousin used to bowl professionally, I think she carried 14 balls. Bought a big duelly pick-up, just to haul them around. My best game was a 256, a great night, had another 200 game in that series. Never had a night like that again. Had a 185 average, then blew out my back, it all just sits in a cupboard out in the garage now.
Old 05-12-17, 10:17 PM
All Yappi

BobcatBomber is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherVOR View Post
Correct.
Hoinke's really let the west side down when they sold that place. But I can't blame them...they are making bank just collecting rent for Meijer property.
Old 05-12-17, 10:22 PM
All Yappi

PantherVOR is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobcatBomber View Post
Hoinke's really let the west side down when they sold that place. But I can't blame them...they are making bank just collecting rent for Meijer property.
I was hoping the new owners would put some money into that place, unfortunately they haven't.
Old 05-12-17, 11:00 PM
All Region

nupanther is on a distinguished road
My average is around 130-140

I was over 200 TWICE in my like, around 215 or so

Usually go to bell wick in hubbard to kill some time with the kids every blue moon
Old 05-12-17, 11:12 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by nupanther View Post
My average is around 130-140

I was over 200 TWICE in my like, around 215 or so

Usually go to bell wick in hubbard to kill some time with the kids every blue moon
Wow! I had forgotten that alley was on West Liberty. I can remember when the DQ up the street was the only "quick food" joint in town. LOL
Old 05-13-17, 01:42 AM
All District

simkon is on a distinguished road
I had a few good games at various points in my life.
I bowled a 222 at Canfield Lanes for a birthday party, of course there is a Giant Eagle there now.
I bowled a 241 for a Findlay college class (bowling, archery and tennis), I do recall rolling a turkey to open the game and to close out.
I bowled a 233 and a 234 back to back once about four or five years ago.
A typical game for me was anywhere from 170-200, I threw a big hook so some oiling patterns did not favor me and throwing a straight ball might have been better.
Old 05-13-17, 09:05 PM
All Region

nupanther is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleGuy View Post
Wow! I had forgotten that alley was on West Liberty. I can remember when the DQ up the street was the only "quick food" joint in town. LOL
I remember when the burger king and arbys by I-80 were built. When did McDonald's and taco bell come? Maybe I'm too young
Old 05-13-17, 10:29 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by nupanther View Post
I remember when the burger king and arbys by I-80 were built. When did McDonald's and taco bell come? Maybe I'm too young
I lived in Hubbard during the sixties (yes, I;m that old - but young at heart and actions). Other than DQ, which was a godsend on days when we played football where the new elementary school is (in front of the new high school). At some point - maybe during my high school years - a Red Barn was opened, also on Liberty and close to the schools. Red Barn has been talked about in other threads.

Pat's Pizza, owned by a good friend's family, was on North Main, iirc. Our family moved to NC after I graduated in 1970 so I don't know when Micky D's and "yo quiero" Taco Bell opened. Maybe some current Hubbardites can chime in.
Old 05-13-17, 11:04 PM
All District

buckeye53 is on a distinguished road
Wow, the Red Barn, haven't thought about that place in years. They opened one in Stow, in the early 60's. Man did they have some kick fried chicken. Thanks for the memory.
Old 05-16-17, 06:58 AM
Fan of Eagle

EagleFan will become famous soon enough
Was ina league for a number of years in my 30's. Best was 224, but average 150. Never could quite get consistent rotation on ball. Lead to many tough spares.

The better bowlers in our league usually brought 2 bowling balls (and probably had an extra in car). 2nd one was generally for less spin, to get the 10 pin.
Old 05-16-17, 07:26 AM
All Ohio

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
This thread brought back a lot of memories from my mis-spent youth and adulthood, hanging out in leagues for almost 30 years:

- my first trophy, second year in the bantams, high series scratch (2 games) - 301. Thought I'd died and gone to heaven.

- while in high school junior league around 1973 or so, there was one kid born with one finger on one hand and two on the other. First guy I ever saw with a 2-handed delivery. He could crank it a bit, but using more sidearm then fingers. When I see the PBA guys nowadays use a two-handed delivery, I always say, "But Robby was the first!".

- going to a PBA week-long day camp in Columbus 1979 and 1980 with Don Johnson as the lead instructor, winning a goofy 9-pin tournament, and getting to sit with Don at lunch one day and hear him tell some really funny stories about life on the tour

- picking up the Greek Church split not once, but twice. I'd read how to do it in a book by Earl Anthony. 7-10 split? Fuhgeddaboutit.

- one night bowling in men's leagues, all 48 lanes in the house filled, we all stopped for 15 minutes because some chick dressed like Dolly Parton - big hair, big chest, and all - stomped into the place and paraded herself in front of one of the bowlers who was her husband. Apparently she'd heard he had been friendly with some stacked blonde bimbo, and she kept screaming at him "Is this what you really want?" while he just stood there squirming. We all crowded in and got real quiet so we didn't miss a word. The desk clerk got on the PA and said, "Okay, guys, warm-ups are over - let's go, nothing to see here."

- I had something close to a "Dolly Parton moment" - my wife paid for a belly dancer to show up at my men's league during my 36th birthday and give a little show with a rose between her teeth. Again, everyone in the house stopped bowling and crowded in to watch. G-rated, of course. The most risqué part was that I had to I lean in and grab the rose with my teeth. Naturally, I pitched my first shot in the gutter.

Last edited by Zunardo; 05-16-17 at 08:08 AM.
Old 05-16-17, 09:14 AM
All American

WinstonSmith is on a distinguished road
Good times.
Old 05-16-17, 09:35 AM
Fake coolin' off

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
This thread brought back a lot of memories from my mis-spent youth and adulthood, hanging out in leagues for almost 30 years:

- my first trophy, second year in the bantams, high series scratch (2 games) - 301. Thought I'd died and gone to heaven.

- while in high school junior league around 1973 or so, there was one kid born with one finger on one hand and two on the other. First guy I ever saw with a 2-handed delivery. He could crank it a bit, but using more sidearm then fingers. When I see the PBA guys nowadays use a two-handed delivery, I always say, "But Robby was the first!".

- going to a PBA week-long day camp in Columbus 1979 and 1980 with Don Johnson as the lead instructor, winning a goofy 9-pin tournament, and getting to sit with Don at lunch one day and hear him tell some really funny stories about life on the tour

- picking up the Greek Church split not once, but twice. I'd read how to do it in a book by Earl Anthony. 7-10 split? Fuhgeddaboutit.

- one night bowling in men's leagues, all 48 lanes in the house filled, we all stopped for 15 minutes because some chick dressed like Dolly Parton - big hair, big chest, and all - stomped into the place and paraded herself in front of one of the bowlers who was her husband. Apparently she'd heard he had been friendly with some stacked blonde bimbo, and she kept screaming at him "Is this what you really want?" while he just stood there squirming. We all crowded in and got real quiet so we didn't miss a word. The desk clerk got on the PA and said, "Okay, guys, warm-ups are over - let's go, nothing to see here."

- I had something close to a "Dolly Parton moment" - my wife paid for a belly dancer to show up at my men's league during my 36th birthday and give a little show with a rose between her teeth. Again, everyone in the house stopped bowling and crowded in to watch. G-rated, of course. The most risqué part was that I had to I lean in and grab the rose with my teeth. Naturally, I pitched my first shot in the gutter.

Gross.
Old 05-16-17, 10:33 AM
All American

WinstonSmith is on a distinguished road
Lol
Old 05-16-17, 10:37 AM
All Ohio

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
LOL - there were quite a few euphemisms to choose from.
Old 05-16-17, 06:32 PM
All American

Gardens35 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleGuy View Post
I lived in Hubbard during the sixties (yes, I;m that old - but young at heart and actions). Other than DQ, which was a godsend on days when we played football where the new elementary school is (in front of the new high school). At some point - maybe during my high school years - a Red Barn was opened, also on Liberty and close to the schools. Red Barn has been talked about in other threads.

Pat's Pizza, owned by a good friend's family, was on North Main, iirc. Our family moved to NC after I graduated in 1970 so I don't know when Micky D's and "yo quiero" Taco Bell opened. Maybe some current Hubbardites can chime in.
Wasn't Pat's on the square across from the old police station? Some other Hubbard oldies on the square.......Dairy Ranch, Palace Theater, Bessie Barnes, Sinclair Gas station, ARCO, Ben Franklin. There was a drug store by Riordan's where you could get the vanilla phosphate, and a Sasspirilla, cherry coke...that sort of stuff. I think Pizza Shanty was the one on N.Main, 10 cents per slice. Lol.......ciggs right out of the machine at the laundromat.

My high game was 208.
Old 05-16-17, 09:40 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardens35 View Post
Wasn't Pat's on the square across from the old police station? Some other Hubbard oldies on the square.......Dairy Ranch, Palace Theater, Bessie Barnes, Sinclair Gas station, ARCO, Ben Franklin. There was a drug store by Riordan's where you could get the vanilla phosphate, and a Sasspirilla, cherry coke...that sort of stuff. I think Pizza Shanty was the one on N.Main, 10 cents per slice. Lol.......ciggs right out of the machine at the laundromat.

My high game was 208.
Now, I am feeling old! Pat's was on the square. Off-hand I remember Palace Theater, Bessie Barnes (the name rings a bell), Ben Franklin (what town didn't have one?), Riordan's Sporting Goods and the drug store with the old-timey refreshments. Stewart Furniture comes to mind as does Styver's Chevrolet just off the square. Loblaw's was on one corner of Main and Liberty (SE corner?) and at least two service stations, I believe, occupied other corners on the square (one an Esso?, precursor to Exxon). Sinclair may well have been another one. Patton's Sparkle Market was close to the public library, which was not too far from the schools.

Palace Theater: When I watch Andy Griffith re-runs, I imagine the Mayberry theater being like the Palace. One center aisle - if my memory serves - with about a half dozen seats to either side of each of around twenty rows. Like the rest of the theater, the seats were well-worn. Tarzan and Jerry Lewis movies. Cartoons and coming attractions, of course, but no talkies or newsreels!

What was Bessie Barnes? Oh my, I didn't expect to find it when I Googled. As I vaguely recalled, the feed store! A reminder that - though the area is metro in nature - the towns and cities are not far from "the country". Great area to live in!

Last edited by EagleGuy; 05-16-17 at 09:52 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: