Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-05-17, 04:38 PM
All American

Maple Stang is on a distinguished road
Next head coach at Walsh is.....

Tom Milkovich
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-17, 04:40 PM
All American

Gardens35 is on a distinguished road
........Tom Milkovich
Old 05-05-17, 06:04 PM
All American

elliotlewis is on a distinguished road
I'm a young parent (33) with a stud 16 year old 8th grader....not familiar with that name... We live in Seven Hill's... Ed's is kinda far....
Old 05-05-17, 06:08 PM
All World

MPhillips is on a distinguished road
Who is Ed? I thought this post was about Joe Walsh?
Old 05-05-17, 06:15 PM
All Ohio

roughedge is on a distinguished road
Next coach is temp coach until next coach is ready to take over. JDJ will be next full time coach when he is ready. Job is his to have if he wants it in future.
Old 05-05-17, 06:58 PM
Varsity

Neverwrestled is on a distinguished road
Great coach but again temporary not sure if people want to wait on JDJ and not sure how long tom wants to stay
Old 05-05-17, 08:20 PM
All Ohio

roughedge is on a distinguished road
Just don't see how young kids today are going to relate to a 65+ year old legend. JdJ will take over this program just don't know when he plans on it. Maybe next year when his little brother comes in the door as a freshman.
Old 05-05-17, 09:43 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughedge View Post
Just don't see how young kids today are going to relate to a 65+ year old legend. JdJ will take over this program just don't know when he plans on it. Maybe next year when his little brother comes in the door as a freshman.
Or the parents, as far as relating. Can't wait for one you whiny parents to question him. Epic! I believe the coach you are all in love with may want to go the college route instead. IMO
Old 05-05-17, 11:34 PM
Varsity

Tough road ahead for the new coach heard David Johnson ,Zehoranski,Collica and fields not returning
Old 05-06-17, 06:55 AM
All District

Bigtimewrestling is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by roughedge View Post
After Bill Barger, Walsh Jesuit went with the young bloods to take over the head coaching role: Musser, Marchette, Boardwine, Koballa. All were good coaches, and all produce State Champs, but none came close to what old man Barger did in the 90's at Walsh. Barger surrounded himself with an infusion of young talented assistant coaches, and was one of the greatest motivators of all time.

Tom Milkovich is absolutey a ledgend. This Hall of fame coach was an undefeated 3x State Champ in high school (freshmen didn't compete on varsity in those days), an NCAA Champ and 3x All-American, Big ten Champ, and son of one of greatest high school coaches of all time, the legendary Mike Milkovich Sr. I trust Coach Milkovich won't have any problems bringing in some accomplished younger assistant coaches to surround himself with, in much the same way Barger did. Hopefully wrestlers like JDJ and Ty Mitch will jump at the opportunity to assist him.

After Barger retired, Walsh tried going with a young coaches, but they all lasted only a few years. I think going with an old legend who surrounds himself with some top shelf young assistants will be perfect for this program.

I trust coach Milkovich will reach out to current team, secure young assistant coaches who will energize the program and attract youth studs, and I don't expect any exodus of current teams members. Walsh is to good of a school.
Old 05-06-17, 10:11 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPhillips View Post
Who is Ed? I thought this post was about Joe Walsh?
The days of Life's been Good...has Turn to Stone...Dreams, of Days Gone By...You Might Need Somebody...more than an Ordinary Average Guy...it's going to be a Rocky Mountain Way for the new coach...Walsh is living A Life of Illusion!!

Who's Joe Walsh?....Don't mess with Ed!
Old 05-07-17, 08:33 AM
Freshman

KB1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliotlewis View Post
I'm a young parent (33) with a stud 16 year old 8th grader....not familiar with that name... We live in Seven Hill's... Ed's is kinda far....
Any middle school parent and wrestler should seriously consider SVSM. You have Olympian Harry Lester and longtime Walsh assistants Jeff Black and Fred Daughterty . Many have transferred there already , and more to come I'm sure. I believe that program is the next big thing.
Old 05-07-17, 09:33 AM
All World

There you go Elliot. Even Fred is there.
Old 05-07-17, 10:12 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB1 View Post
Any middle school parent and wrestler should seriously consider SVSM. You have Olympian Harry Lester and longtime Walsh assistants Jeff Black and Fred Daughterty . Many have transferred there already , and more to come I'm sure. I believe that program is the next big thing.
Does SVSM have scholarships and housing, or like an alumni that can flip the bill? Because we don't pay for anything...Plus I will need a position on the staff...
Old 05-07-17, 11:30 AM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPhillips View Post
There you go Elliot. Even Fred is there.
I think you mean Fred Daugherty. The one guy that stepped up to the plate at the last minute and took over as head coach when Bill Barger got sick. He also had more success in his 1 or 2 years as head coach at Walsh over all those young names mentioned as Walsh head coaches in an earlier post. It was him and Jeff Black running the program with Dan Hanson I believe. All you need to do is look up the 2011 season results. I said in an earlier post and I'll state my opinion again, Jeff Black and Fred Daugherty are the constants that kept Walsh wrestling together the last 12 years or so and if they would have stayed on this year nobody would have quit or transferred. As for Elliot , I'm sure people are happy to pay to go to SVSM and be a part of that program and coaching staff as well as getting a private college prep education.
Old 05-07-17, 11:32 AM
Freshman

Airborne 87 is an unknown quantity at this point
I heard dan gable is coming out of retirement to coach at W Jesuit
Old 05-07-17, 06:07 PM
Junior Varsity

RandyLoathsome is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne 87 View Post
I am sure the parents would love his practices
Old 05-07-17, 06:56 PM
All American

eliwes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne 87 View Post
and bringing the brand brothers with him
Old 05-07-17, 09:09 PM
All World

Quote:
I think you mean Fred Daugherty. The one guy that stepped up to the plate at the last minute and took over as head coach...
No need to expound on Fred to me? I'm a fan from years back. Before you knew who he was. Nor Dan Hanson. He's in my wheel house. As to Elliot and SVSM....Stop it.
Old 05-07-17, 09:30 PM
All Ohio

ROCKETBOOSTER is on a distinguished road
Other than a stud or 2 a year coming in to the program no one has done anything at Walsh to get credit for program building the past 15 years. Most years they couldnt even fill a complete line up, they had to put first year wrestlers in singlets just to come close to filling a line up. Yes the 2011 team had 4 or 5 studs on it and Koballa did a nice job of recruiting one good class a few years ago that fell apart. I dont think there is an answer here for Walsh Jesuit there is just too much competition in the area for the studs with good public programs and the likes of CVCA and SVSM to return to the glory days of the 90s.
Old 05-07-17, 10:57 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKETBOOSTER View Post
Other than a stud or 2 a year coming in to the program no one has done anything at Walsh to get credit for program building the past 15 years. Most years they couldnt even fill a complete line up, they had to put first year wrestlers in singlets just to come close to filling a line up. Yes the 2011 team had 4 or 5 studs on it and Koballa did a nice job of recruiting one good class a few years ago that fell apart. I dont think there is an answer here for Walsh Jesuit there is just too much competition in the area for the studs with good public programs and the likes of CVCA and SVSM to return to the glory days of the 90s.
Who said anything about "building" the Walsh program in the last 15 years? I only stated that Jeff Black and Fred Daugherty are the two constant "volunteer for free" coaches at the program that kept it together and from totally falling apart thru all the head coaching changes. What more proof do you need other than the fact that they left this year and look what happened to Walsh wrestling this season, did it not fall apart? Do you disagree with the fact that if they would have chose to stay on staff, the Walsh season would have been quite different this year? If you do disagree, then just ask every current or past parent involved with Walsh.
Old 05-08-17, 09:50 AM
All American

Quote:
Who said anything about "building" the Walsh program in the last 15 years? I only stated that Jeff Black and Fred Daugherty are the two constant "volunteer for free" coaches at the program that kept it together and from totally falling apart thru all the head coaching changes. What more proof do you need other than the fact that they left this year and look what happened to Walsh wrestling this season, did it not fall apart? Do you disagree with the fact that if they would have chose to stay on staff, the Walsh season would have been quite different this year? If you do disagree, then just ask every current or past parent involved with Walsh.
BINGO!

Parents are the ones at fault here, clearly. Want to raise hell at their parochial school and then want to turn a blind eye to things that should have been addressed. You people are amazing. All these kids now transferring again. Some of them don't realize the s*#t storm they are walking into. Remember, they don't have to wrestle these transfers. Coaches decision. You figure it out.
Old 05-08-17, 10:31 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
I am friends with both Jeff and Fred so you are not going to get me to say anything bad about them. Yes they have both been around a long time with Hanson and a cast of numerous others that have been there to keep a great family wrestling atmosphere for the kids at WJ. That generation is gone but lets not pretend that the program has been great and all of a sudden its fallen off the face of the earth because of coaching changes. Obviously wrestling is not the priority it once was at Walsh Jesuit and hasn't been for 15 plus years. Can it be rebuilt to a competitive state/local team? Sure. Time will tell though.
Old 05-08-17, 12:58 PM
Freshman

[QUOTE=ROCKETBOOSTER;6762003]I am friends with both Jeff and Fred so you are not going to get me to say anything bad about them....

I wouldn't expect you to say anything bad about them, especially if you are friends. Who can say anything bad about two coaches who have donated their time to wrestling for more than 20 years? What I am saying is that Jeff and Fred have struggled for years to keep Walsh wrestling viable. And most of the struggles were with the administration and specifically admissions and the new AD of 4 years, not the head coaching changes. In fact, I'm quite certain they had a say about who the head coaches were over the years until the last failed hire by the AD, because I know that they wanted Mariola. There is no pretending, the program actually "did fall off a cliff" this year. Because Walsh had big expectations and 9 or 10 state ranked wrestlers and probably would have been a top 5 team if they hired Mariola and Jeff and Fred would have stayed.
Old 05-08-17, 01:22 PM
All Ohio

[QUOTE=KB1;6762113]
Quote:
I am friends with both Jeff and Fred so you are not going to get me to say anything bad about them....

I wouldn't expect you to say anything bad about them, especially if you are friends. Who can say anything bad about two coaches who have donated their time to wrestling for more than 20 years? What I am saying is that Jeff and Fred have struggled for years to keep Walsh wrestling viable. And most of the struggles were with the administration and specifically admissions and the new AD of 4 years, not the head coaching changes. In fact, I'm quite certain they had a say about who the head coaches were over the years until the last failed hire by the AD, because I know that they wanted Mariola. There is no pretending, the program actually "did fall off a cliff" this year. Because Walsh had big expectations and 9 or 10 state ranked wrestlers and probably would have been a top 5 team if they hired Mariola and Jeff and Fred would have stayed.
This makes more sense, its what you have been beating around the bush at since last fall. I agree.
Old 05-08-17, 01:24 PM
All American

jmog is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=KB1;6762113]
Quote:
I am friends with both Jeff and Fred so you are not going to get me to say anything bad about them....

Not to mention the current 7th and 8th graders that were planning on attending Walsh...
Old 05-08-17, 09:11 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Stang View Post
BINGO!

Parents are the ones at fault here, clearly. Want to raise hell at their parochial school and then want to turn a blind eye to things that should have been addressed. You people are amazing. All these kids now transferring again. Some of them don't realize the s*#t storm they are walking into. Remember, they don't have to wrestle these transfers. Coaches decision. You figure it out.
How are the parents at fault. Late fire in Adam should have been done earlier and then a bad head coach hire. Sounds like administration
Old 05-11-17, 08:55 AM
All American

BobPreusse
i dont have any info on the current coaching situation there--

however i can say if u look at the names and numbers of people just in the last year, who were "fired, forced to resign, or resigned in anger" from Walsh wrestling or the Ironman-- its staggering. Has to be a reason.
Old 05-11-17, 11:15 AM
Junior Varsity

Rabyman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverwrestled View Post
How are the parents at fault. Late fire in Adam should have been done earlier and then a bad head coach hire. Sounds like administration
How can you call hiring Tom Milkovich a bad head coach hire? The man is a legend.
Old 05-11-17, 04:17 PM
Varsity

Didn't mean milkovich meant bad fire right before season and late hire with Zahoranski