Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-04-17, 03:02 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
May 4th at Kent State

Quote:
In Response to Nixon’s Invasion of Cambodia, American Campuses Exploded in Protest in May 1970

Today, May 4th, 2017, is the 47th anniversary of the infamous Kent State Massacre – where 4 students were shot to death and 9 wounded by National Guardsmen during anti-Vietnam war protests on the Ohio campus.

Protests at Kent State were part of a wave of demonstrations that swept the country right after President Nixon’s invasion of Cambodia. Ten days later, 2 Black students were shot to death by police during an anti-war protest at Jackson State.
Read more:
http://obrag.org/?p=131135
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-17, 09:26 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
A really sad day in history. I was on the doorstep of high school graduation when this occurred. Both my father and his sister are KSU alumni. My uncle was in the Ohio National Guard though not on campus during this period. A lot of family emotions...
Old 05-04-17, 09:26 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Maybe this day is just fading away as more and more people that lived through it are passing away.

Interesting that if you look on Google for "May 4th", you get alot of stuff about Star Wars and "May the fourth be with you"
Old 05-04-17, 10:05 PM
All Region

buckeye53 is on a distinguished road
What a sad sad day. I lived in Kent in 71 & 72, very interesting times. When that A- hole politician said it should happen again, in Berkely a couple of months ago, I was absolutely floored. That an elected official, could advocate killing kids, is just sickening.
Old 05-04-17, 10:40 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
Maybe this day is just fading away as more and more people that lived through it are passing away.

Interesting that if you look on Google for "May 4th", you get alot of stuff about Star Wars and "May the fourth be with you"
Yes. Maybe it will get a mention three years from now.
Old 05-05-17, 05:31 AM
All Ohio

my2sense is on a distinguished road
They include a visit to the memorial during freshmen orientation now. If they did not these students wouldn't know what it was.
Old 05-05-17, 06:40 AM
All American

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Understandable, really. That happened about 30 years before today's freshmen were born.
Old 05-05-17, 07:41 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
I drove up there last night just to look around yet again. Whether or not you agree with the protests or where you assess blame, the gravity of what happened there and its impact on the US political scene should have resulted in a more substantial memorial at Kent State. Maybe they were going for low key, but the pillars surrounding parking spots in which the kids died (in an active parking lot nonetheless), seems woefully inadequate.

Old 05-05-17, 07:50 AM
All American

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Oh wow. I wouldn't take kids there for their freshmen orientation. That's embarrassing.
Old 05-05-17, 08:03 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Oh wow. I wouldn't take kids there for their freshmen orientation. That's embarrassing.
That's one of four of those pillar structures. There's a little more, with a small visitor's center, a national historical marker and some marble memorials, but all in all, it's not much.
Old 05-05-17, 08:19 AM
All World

irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
I drove up there last night just to look around yet again. Whether or not you agree with the protests or where you assess blame, the gravity of what happened there and its impact on the US political scene should have resulted in a more substantial memorial at Kent State. Maybe they were going for low key, but the pillars surrounding parking spots in which the kids died (in an active parking lot nonetheless), seems woefully inadequate.

Highly inadequate. I've seen better memorials to dogs.
Old 05-05-17, 12:48 PM
All Yappi

Some of the others-

Old 05-05-17, 03:30 PM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
I was 10 when it happened, but it was too much to process - my grandfather in West Virginia passed away unexpectedly and our family was still dealing with that the day of the shootings. About two years later I began reading some books that covered the events, and I got a better sense of what actually happened, and who the four students were.

I know some of the Guardsman have gone on record over the years about how they felt that day, and since then.

Does anyone know if there any self-identified protestors there who later admitted to burning campus buildings, attacking the Guardsman, and throwing chunks of concrete at them? I'm curious as to how they view their actions today, if they feel justified in what they did, and whether they think they were just engaging in "freedom of expression".

Just curious. I'm sure if I were a few years older and had been a college student at the time, I'd have a different perspective.

Last edited by Zunardo; 05-05-17 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-05-17, 04:17 PM
All American

Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
Disappointed Ted's cries for attention got deleted
Old 05-05-17, 04:20 PM
Cooling Off

Uncle Ted is on a distinguished road
Lol no wonder nobody took a bite! I didn't realize it was deleted! Why?
Old 05-05-17, 05:03 PM
All American

yappi told me he thought it looked too desperate
Old 05-05-17, 05:30 PM
Cooling Off

Yappi doesn't talk to nobody.
Old 05-05-17, 11:44 PM
All Region

buckeye53 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Instead of owning it, the administration has for years tried to bury it. The families deserve better.
Old 05-06-17, 02:55 AM
All American

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Basically destroyed 50 buildings, burnt an entire building to the ground, and vandalized fire trucks so they couldn't put out the fire. Probably wasn't a smart idea to throw rocks at dudes carrying guns. Sooner or later they will fire
Old 05-06-17, 08:05 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider6309 View Post
Basically destroyed 50 buildings, burnt an entire building to the ground, and vandalized fire trucks so they couldn't put out the fire. Probably wasn't a smart idea to throw rocks at dudes carrying guns. Sooner or later they will fire
Some of the KSU students and outside agitators vandalized buildings in downtown Kent, but destroyed 50 buildings? Agreed they torched the ROTC building and threw stuff at a bunch of armed kids coming off of strike duty with little or no sleep. Just an awful combination of factors all around.

One thing I think younger people don't understand is that there wasn't a unanimous condemnation of what happened. Some were fed up with the counterculture and the protests and took the position that the protesters got what they had coming.
Old 05-06-17, 08:43 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
Yappi doesn't talk to nobody.
false
Old 05-06-17, 09:36 AM
All World

irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Some of the KSU students and outside agitators vandalized buildings in downtown Kent, but destroyed 50 buildings? Agreed they torched the ROTC building and threw stuff at a bunch of armed kids coming off of strike duty with little or no sleep. Just an awful combination of factors all around.

One thing I think younger people don't understand is that there wasn't a unanimous condemnation of what happened. Some were fed up with the counterculture and the protests and took the position that the protesters got what they had coming.
Well put.

They never burned 50 buildings? And picking a side here is not the proper approach. The entire situation was simply unfortunate. Regardless of what anyone thinks 4 kids got shot in the back from a distance. Two of those kids were not even protesting but were simply heading to class.

My uncle was a guardsman who was there. He said they were a bunch of young kids as well who were put into a bad situation. He said once one nervous trigger went several others did.

Many people point to Kent St. as the turning point for American opinion on the war.

Still, not sufficient memorials if you ask me.
Old 05-06-17, 10:12 AM
All Ohio

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Anyone who claims that the protesters destroyed 50 buildings is simply poorly informed and would be unable to substantiate that assertion.
The ROTC building had been abandoned and boarded up by the university long before any protesting occurred. Yes, it was burned to the ground, but it's not like that was a facility which was going to be utilized in the future.
This isn't to say that the protesters were right in all that they did, but let's try to avoid wild and unsubstantiated claims here.
It's easy now to draw conclusions based on today's ideologies, but those who didn't live during those times have difficulty gaining an understanding of the ideological clashes between not only political views, but also of generations -- with the Vietnam War as a backdrop and driving factor.
Thanks, clarkgriswold and irishbuffalo.
Old 05-06-17, 10:16 AM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monclova Steve View Post
Anyone who claims that the protesters destroyed 50 buildings is simply poorly informed and would be unable to substantiate that assertion.
The ROTC building had been abandoned and boarded up by the university long before any protesting occurred. Yes, it was burned to the ground, but it's not like that was a facility which was going to be utilized in the future.
This isn't to say that the protesters were right in all that they did, but let's try to avoid wild and unsubstantiated claims here.
Thanks, clarkgriswold and irishbuffalo.
I don't care if they burned a pos abandoned car in the street. It wasn't theirs to burn. But I guess you libs can rationalize any poor behavior
Old 05-06-17, 10:32 AM
All American

They threw rocks at businesses and stole everything inside. My uncle was in the national guard at Kent State. Most people act like it was a peaceful protest and they randomly shot at students. It was a very violent protest.
Old 05-06-17, 10:54 AM
All Ohio

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
I don't care if they burned a pos abandoned car in the street. It wasn't theirs to burn. But I guess you libs can rationalize any poor behavior
If you're referring to my post, then I certainly apologize if I gave you the impression that I was rationalizing the burning down of the ROTC building. Of course it wasn't theirs to burn; and it could've (and perhaps should've) brought charges of arson.
The purpose of my post was to simply get the facts straight. If you want to use this incident as a way to attack "libs", then that's your perogative.
I would hope, though, that this seminal moment in our history -- in which several of our fellow Americans died -- would serve as a topic for a little more meaningful discussion than that -- and based on factual information, not wild accusations.
Old 05-06-17, 11:13 AM
Cooling Off

Possessed is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider6309 View Post
They threw rocks at businesses and stole everything inside. My uncle was in the national guard at Kent State. Most people act like it was a peaceful protest and they randomly shot at students. It was a very violent protest.
I see them as no different than the ANTIFA morons of today. Fellow Americans? It all depends on what "America" you side with. Like the antiAmerican thugs of today, the Kent State rioters wanted quite a different America than me. Sucks they had to die, but when you play stupid games like arson and assaulting troops you win stupid prizes.
Old 05-06-17, 11:47 AM
All Yappi

I'm not sure Richard Nixon's long term vision of America would have been much liked either.

I can agree there were plenty of factors that added up to the deaths, some of them caused by the protesters, some by ill-informed and clueless politicians and some by poor military leadership. It's a shame innocent kids got killed and mamed. Firing weapons in an active campus setting was an awful idea.
Old 05-06-17, 12:37 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possessed View Post
I see them as no different than the ANTIFA morons of today. Fellow Americans? It all depends on what "America" you side with. Like the antiAmerican thugs of today, the Kent State rioters wanted quite a different America than me. Sucks they had to die, but when you play stupid games like arson and assaulting troops you win stupid prizes.
Hard to compare today to then. Civil rights and the war were things to protest. Today it's just snowflakes being cry babies.
Old 05-06-17, 01:27 PM
All American

Quote:
I'm not sure Richard Nixon's long term vision of America would have been much liked either.
True. Nixon established the EPA, and was a proponent of single payer healthcare. People should have been protesting, just for different reasons.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: