Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Girls HS Sports > Girls Soccer

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-04-17, 01:43 PM
All District

EXPRESS
Club Fees - Most bang for the buck

I hear OE Fees for U16 coming in around 7k! That's a lot of college money being spent for a partial scholarship opportunity. Wouldn't it be better to play CUP, KH, TFA etc. for a fraction of the cost on a top team????? Thoughts.....
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-17, 02:01 PM
Junior Varsity

SoccerinCincy is on a distinguished road
Those fees better include 1st class air travel, hotels, meals and car rentals for all family members. What exactly are you getting for $7K?
Old 05-04-17, 02:46 PM
All Ohio

CitrusCrunch is on a distinguished road
wow express thats a lot can you break those down for us i mean exactly what that pays for. im hopin since you posted you know what it covers
Old 05-04-17, 02:56 PM
All American

Irwin20 is on a distinguished road
Thats crazy if true. More than ever Soccer is becoming a rich kids sport.
Old 05-04-17, 03:38 PM
All District

Empty CUP is on a distinguished road
Less than what we spent last year on fees, and travel (hotel and meals) including the mega extended trip to Frisco with CUP. Hard to believe it's that much considering their bus trip costs are not outrageous. Best chances in sports are seldom cheap. Talk to IMG parents. And Irwin is right it is becoming that for the top athletes. It's kinda sad.

It's funny I hear parents around me complain about costs at other clubs, while they spend crazy money on silliness like Balconi and other extra training, and outfit themselves in gear head to toe like they are on the team. Makes me laugh everytime.
Old 05-04-17, 03:42 PM
All Region

Upper 90 is on a distinguished road
I may be off a few dollars but here is what I know from web sites and from talking to parents:

Fees for OE are $1995 +125 field fee which includes all costs plus you pay your own personal and family travel expenses. Some trips are bus trip required so in essence that is a fee but either way you have to get to the game. Plus showcase travel.

Fees for CUP are around $1382 but does not include team fees for tournaments, ref fees, etc plus pay your own travel expenses. I don't know what the typical CUP team fee is for their National L teams, maybe someone does. Also don't know if they require bus trips. I assume it puts the clubs close from a total fee perspective.

But, and a big but, the travel is where the money starts flying out of our wallets. We should not be limiting this to one club, it is happening everywhere. For example, I checked out FC Pride. Their fee is $2400 which is all inclusive except plus 5 mandated team trips that you must pay for to the club. I am assuming each of these trips is in the $300-$500 range. So already you are getting close to 5k. But then they have 3 showcases in Arizona, Fla and Texas and you have to get there. So even with great air rates add another G plus food, hotel and sundries. 7k. Un freaking believable.

http://www.fcpride.org/fcpridegirlsecnlfaq

Last edited by Upper 90; 05-04-17 at 03:56 PM.. Reason: Added source of info
Old 05-05-17, 10:08 AM
All World

coachg is on a distinguished road
Why are there no big Show Cases in this area? Seems to me that we have the fields, enough great teams and I bet we could work on getting sponsors to help out also. Smuckers Soccer Jam, Swiffer Soccer Showcase, Tide Showcase, Nationwide Spring Showcase, Goodyears- Soccer Invitational, ect. The list goes on and one. Between VOA, AIA, all the HS Truf Fields why cant Ohio have a high level showcase that revivals what others areas have?

Last edited by coachg; 05-05-17 at 10:39 AM..
Old 05-05-17, 10:24 AM
All District

EXPRESS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitrusCrunch View Post
wow express thats a lot can you break those down for us i mean exactly what that pays for. im hopin since you posted you know what it covers
I don't have an exact breakdown, just heard parents complaining about the fees. I think club fees are around $2,200, new uni's every year, bus trips are around $300-$400 each and there are 3 out of town showcases that require flights. Add in club fees and you can get to 7k pretty quick. That's a nice college investment over four years.
Old 05-05-17, 10:26 AM
All District

EXPRESS
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachg View Post
Why is there no big Show Cases in this area? Seems to me that we have the fields, enough great teams and I bet we could work on getting sponsors to help out also. Smuckers Soccer Jam, Swiffer Soccer Showcase, Tide Showcase, Nationwide Spring Showcase, Goodyears- Soccer Invitational, ect. The list goes on and one. Between VOA, AIA, all the HS Truf Fields why cant Ohio have a high level showcase that revivals what others areas have?
I agree, the local clubs should collaborate on this as there's a lot of strong teams in close by.
Old 05-05-17, 10:44 AM
All District

Conan73 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXPRESS View Post
I agree, the local clubs should collaborate on this as there's a lot of strong teams in close by.
The biggest showcase tournaments in Cincinnati are the Gateway Showcase in the Fall, and the Blue Chip showcase in the Spring. Both are hosted by Kings Hammer. Now that Kings Hammer has its new complex in Batavia, they have the opportunity to put on an even better product because most of the teams now can play in one place; making it easier for college coaches to see more games.

The largest tournament in the area is Crossroads, which is 90 minutes away in Indy. The size of that tournament makes it harder to offer something as big in Cincinnati.

I think it is a novel idea to have the Cinci clubs (CUP, KHA, Warren County, TFA, ACE, even OEA) team up to put on a really big showcase tournament. The cooperation required would probably prevent this from happening, but if they could combine efforts we could have a tournament that would rival CASL.....
Old 05-05-17, 12:53 PM
All District

Hoosier Parent is on a distinguished road
Club Fees with everything included for OE are about $2300. Alternates between 3 and 4 bus trips a year at approx $375 a piece.

3 Showcases(don't cost anything):
Samford Fla
Phoenix AR
PDA NJ
National playoff in Rockford IL

Overall hotel rooms for about 13/14 nights

I could see 7k for food/flight/rooms to everything but you could easily cut costs and save a couple k's on that.

Compared to the payoff (competition/coaching/exposure) it compares favorably to the club in Dayton Mia played for.
Old 05-05-17, 08:00 PM
Junior Varsity

Bucknut3 is on a distinguished road
Spot on!
Old 05-08-17, 06:55 AM
Varsity

pricesoccer17 is on a distinguished road
These costs are absurd. We've had more success with college coaches with another club for much less cost. I guess it's what you are looking for and if you are into the whole name brand thing. That's a lot of money. Most kids in this area, even if they play D1 won't play for the large D1 schools for the first year, sometimes they don't play until they are juniors for those programs. if your kid is ok being a role player the last four years they get to play the sport they love and they want D1 for the sake of saying the play d1 soccer then go to Cup or OE where the coaches push the kids D1 so they can boost their websites and reputation for the newbie parents who get stars in their eyes that their little Mia will be the next big thing if the parents spend all that money for the best!!! Keep charging all that money but my daughter will spend less money for equal or better training then some of the "big guys" and go to a school good for her and not the coach. You don't need to spend that much money and time and burn your child out before they hit college. Spend less, promote your own kid and don't get caught up in the hype. Most of these D1 kids are getting less money and or put in practice squads than the kids going d2 and naia and actually playing their freshman year. My family has not bought into these expensive, overkill clubs and I know my son and daughter and my son for another sport have both received more money and play time at their schools and are happier than their friends who went d1, have debt and didn't play. In fact, half of them transfer.
Old 05-08-17, 07:12 AM
Varsity

I guess I am just saying, if the money is no big deal for you then spend it. If it a struggle to pay those big fees, save it and use it for college. I haven't seen many families get their "investment" back playing college soccer.
Old 05-08-17, 07:39 AM
Varsity

Gr8tS0ccr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pricesoccer17 View Post
These costs are absurd. We've had more success with college coaches with another club for much less cost. I guess it's what you are looking for and if you are into the whole name brand thing. That's a lot of money. Most kids in this area, even if they play D1 won't play for the large D1 schools for the first year, sometimes they don't play until they are juniors for those programs. if your kid is ok being a role player the last four years they get to play the sport they love and they want D1 for the sake of saying the play d1 soccer then go to Cup or OE where the coaches push the kids D1 so they can boost their websites and reputation for the newbie parents who get stars in their eyes that their little Mia will be the next big thing if the parents spend all that money for the best!!! Keep charging all that money but my daughter will spend less money for equal or better training then some of the "big guys" and go to a school good for her and not the coach. You don't need to spend that much money and time and burn your child out before they hit college. Spend less, promote your own kid and don't get caught up in the hype. Most of these D1 kids are getting less money and or put in practice squads than the kids going d2 and naia and actually playing their freshman year. My family has not bought into these expensive, overkill clubs and I know my son and daughter and my son for another sport have both received more money and play time at their schools and are happier than their friends who went d1, have debt and didn't play. In fact, half of them transfer.
ok, I will ask the question...what club are you getting this experience at? It is harder and harder than ever to wade through the club scene to understand what it is exactly that the clubs are in this for. It seems to me that there are three groups of clubs:

Group 1 - CUP/KHA/OE - You will spend an ungodly amount of money at any of these clubs, but if you want the prestige, national exposure, and potential to play D1 then nothing wrong with them. Don't be fooled that you are getting better development though, as there are good and bad coaches at these clubs too.

Group 2 - Sycamore Premier, Impact, Loveland Storm, Lakota FC, Mason FC, Cincy SC, Cincy West, Thunder, FOSC, Middletown, Tempest, Ohio United, Butler Fury, and many others - Local, town based clubs. Goal appears to be to play locally, with friends, wearing the same uniforms. May have a charismatic coach that didn't like being in a big club and following someone else's direction so they started their own club. No real long term direction, good coaches here or there, but no consistency. tend to be "Team" driven vs "club" driven. Best players leave for better team, club.

Group 3 - TFA, Alliance, Warren County - Middle ground. Top teams can be very good, qualified (ie. licensed, and playing background) non-parent coaches for the most part. Solid development for top teams, and some 2nd/3rd teams. Long term plan, get kids prepared for college, but also give choices, allow other sports, somewhat lower cost (but not greatly lower). This is a good spot for the multi-sport athlete that could play for one of the big clubs, but isn't ready to give up that second or third sport, but still has aspirations to play in college potentially.
Old 05-08-17, 07:53 AM
Varsity

I just want to know what the big deal is about " the prestige " of playing D1? My son turned down a D1 offer to play D2 for more playing time and more money. I think this is more about parents and club gloating than the kids. I don't believe every single kid on these expensive clubs want d1 huge roster teams and schools but they are pushed to committ to these schools because it's what they expect for all the club fees they are paying. Then they get hardly any athletic money and barely play. BUT they get their day of fame on twitter to say they committed to d1. Just keep it real parents. Take your kids to schools to visit, all kinds of schools. Take family vacations instead of spending all your money on the salaries for these expensive clubs. Once these college years are over, so are your bragging rights. Then what. You have a kid who missed out on quite a bit. Ive had kids in every club and many sports in this city, all levels top to middle. It's simply overkill.

Regarding your evaluation of group 1-3, if I had it to over again, I'd stay somewhere in the middle. It's called well rounded.
Old 05-08-17, 08:06 AM
Varsity

Quote:
I just want to know what the big deal is about " the prestige " of playing D1? My son turned down a D1 offer to play D2 for more playing time and more money. I think this is more about parents and club gloating than the kids. I don't believe every single kid on these expensive clubs want d1 huge roster teams and schools but they are pushed to committ to these schools because it's what they expect for all the club fees they are paying. Then they get hardly any athletic money and barely play. BUT they get their day of fame on twitter to say they committed to d1. Just keep it real parents. Take your kids to schools to visit, all kinds of schools. Take family vacations instead of spending all your money on the salaries for these expensive clubs. Once these college years are over, so are your bragging rights. Then what. You have a kid who missed out on quite a bit. Ive had kids in every club and many sports in this city, all levels top to middle. It's simply overkill.

Regarding your evaluation of group 1-3, if I had it to over again, I'd stay somewhere in the middle. It's called well rounded.
What club did you receive the best overall experience at? To each their own. I think the middle ground is a good place to be as well, with the right coach and teammates. However, you can have a good experience at any level, depending on what you want the experience to be. I tend to agree that way too much money is spent on the sport these days. I have said it before on this forum. Once college soccer is over, for 99.99% of the population, the high level soccer is over. It just ends. Having had 4 years of college where a degree is earned, spouses met, etc...is so much more important for the vast majority. Pick a school based on interests, future career, proximity to home, etc...and if it supports a continued soccer career, then great.
Old 05-08-17, 08:09 AM
Varsity

Fleeced is on a distinguished road
If a parent is spending the money , why on earth would the parent put their kid in anything other than D-1. Why train all those years, what a waste.
Old 05-08-17, 08:11 AM
Varsity

Fleeced, d1 doesn't guarantee money, happiness or play time.
Old 05-08-17, 08:12 AM
Varsity

A large percentage of these families are putting all their decision in the soccer. I think it's just crazy.
Old 05-08-17, 08:14 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8tS0ccr View Post
What club did you receive the best overall experience at? To each their own. I think the middle ground is a good place to be as well, with the right coach and teammates. However, you can have a good experience at any level, depending on what you want the experience to be. I tend to agree that way too much money is spent on the sport these days. I have said it before on this forum. Once college soccer is over, for 99.99% of the population, the high level soccer is over. It just ends. Having had 4 years of college where a degree is earned, spouses met, etc...is so much more important for the vast majority. Pick a school based on interests, future career, proximity to home, etc...and if it supports a continued soccer career, then great.
Exactly!
Old 05-08-17, 08:17 AM
All World

coachg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
ok, I will ask the question...what club are you getting this experience at? It is harder and harder than ever to wade through the club scene to understand what it is exactly that the clubs are in this for. It seems to me that there are three groups of clubs:

Group 1 - CUP/KHA/OE - You will spend an ungodly amount of money at any of these clubs, but if you want the prestige, national exposure, and potential to play D1 then nothing wrong with them. Don't be fooled that you are getting better development though, as there are good and bad coaches at these clubs too.

Group 2 - Sycamore Premier, Impact, Loveland Storm, Lakota FC, Mason FC, Cincy SC, Cincy West, Thunder, FOSC, Middletown, Tempest, Ohio United, Butler Fury, and many others - Local, town based clubs. Goal appears to be to play locally, with friends, wearing the same uniforms. May have a charismatic coach that didn't like being in a big club and following someone else's direction so they started their own club. No real long term direction, good coaches here or there, but no consistency. tend to be "Team" driven vs "club" driven. Best players leave for better team, club.

Group 3 - TFA, Alliance, Warren County - Middle ground. Top teams can be very good, qualified (ie. licensed, and playing background) non-parent coaches for the most part. Solid development for top teams, and some 2nd/3rd teams. Long term plan, get kids prepared for college, but also give choices, allow other sports, somewhat lower cost (but not greatly lower). This is a good spot for the multi-sport athlete that could play for one of the big clubs, but isn't ready to give up that second or third sport, but still has aspirations to play in college potentially.

So since CU has two sides CUP and CU what group would you put CU in or are they in a group all to themselves that gives more options than most by allowing and helping kids move into CUP or other higher level programs while also embracing multi sport players? I would think that since Cincinnati United is able to offer play on your group 1 and 3 that they would seem to be the best logical fit for most players but I would love hear your thoughts.
Old 05-08-17, 08:17 AM
Varsity

Just listen to your kids. They can be the best of the best but it doesn't mean they're going to be happy with the d1 experience. They own your kids. Also depending on their major, it may be incredibly difficult to play d1. My son made the decision to not play d1 after all to focus on pre-med. Played d2. I did not recover what I spend at the top club tier in fees trust me. I had been better off saving that for tuition. It's a game people. That's all.
Old 05-08-17, 08:18 AM
All American

buckshooter5 is on a distinguished road
Express
Not sure what your problem is?

I mean c'mon all you need to do is stop drinking and smoking weed and that would be a college down payment.
Old 05-08-17, 08:54 AM
All Ohio

Juan Pelota is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Fleeced, d1 doesn't guarantee money, happiness or play time.
fleeced knows and that is why his kid transferred from kentucky to ucf......

the golden boot trophy from the u16 glory days will now adorn her dorm room in florida.
Old 05-08-17, 08:58 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachg View Post
So since CU has two sides CUP and CU what group would you put CU in or are they in a group all to themselves that gives more options than most by allowing and helping kids move into CUP or other higher level programs while also embracing multi sport players? I would think that since Cincinnati United is able to offer play on your group 1 and 3 that they would seem to be the best logical fit for most players but I would love hear your thoughts.
Like I said, each to their own. There are some great coaches there, and there are some bad coaches there (CU and CUP). I think CU fits in as that town based program, however clubs like Lakota FC are eating away at the CU side of the club. CU Southeast is actually the largest arm of CU now. I personally don't see any advantage to playing for CU if you want to play for CUP.
Old 05-08-17, 09:04 AM
All District

Happygoluckky is on a distinguished road
There is no way to view any version of club soccer as an ROI play financially. I guarantee a very very small percentage of players get more in scholarship money than the family paid in club fees) If you are on a team doing showcase level tournaments the travel alone for the high shool years will likely outweigh the scholarship savings at D1. (The math simply doesn't work like football or basketball - 100% scholarship/revenue sports) The kids have to want to play and they do get other value from the experience. I can argue that learning to thrive in a competitive environment like CUP (or OE/KHA) has benefits. You have to deal with setbacks, lots of different coaching styles and opinions and adversity. In my experience the players are very motivated, they learn about fitness, have good grades and stay out of trouble. Being around motivated kids and active parents has some benefits.
Old 05-08-17, 09:12 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happygoluckky View Post
There is no way to view any version of club soccer as an ROI play financially. I guarantee a very very small percentage of players get more in scholarship money than the family paid in club fees) If you are on a team doing showcase level tournaments the travel alone for the high shool years will likely outweigh the scholarship savings at D1. (The math simply doesn't work like football or basketball - 100% scholarship/revenue sports) The kids have to want to play and they do get other value from the experience. I can argue that learning to thrive in a competitive environment like CUP (or OE/KHA) has benefits. You have to deal with setbacks, lots of different coaching styles and opinions and adversity. In my experience the players are very motivated, they learn about fitness, have good grades and stay out of trouble. Being around motivated kids and active parents has some benefits.
I agree, and I think this is true at the middle ground clubs I mentioned as well. Club soccer is way cheaper than drug rehab/being a grandparent when your kid is 14. Tons of benefits to be had that have nothing to do with what college they go to.
Old 05-08-17, 01:25 PM
All District

Happygoluckky is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I agree, and I think this is true at the middle ground clubs I mentioned as well. Club soccer is way cheaper than drug rehab/being a grandparent when your kid is 14. Tons of benefits to be had that have nothing to do with what college they go to.
If your primary concern is $$ for college tuition start a 529 Savings Plan, sign up for ACT/SAT prep courses and develop a compelling essay, resume and list of community service. You can fit soccer into that even better.
Old 05-08-17, 01:50 PM
Varsity

Fleeced is on a distinguished road
If you are playing top level club then your child has got to spend her time on soccer, no other way around it. She will get on a D-1 team, but it takes a ton of dedication and sacrifice. Everything else is a distraction. Keep your eye on the prize.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: