Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-28-17, 10:54 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
The Beers In Your Life

Although I am a virtual teetotaler now, I have enjoyed sipping a beer now and then (more then than now) over the years. The first beer I tasted was Carling Black Label, which is what my Dad drank - probably because it was a regular Indians advertiser back in the day and, more probably because it was cheap! Dad would reluctantly pour my brother and me a sip or two on the nights he was not working. I say reluctantly because that left him with about eight ounces, which was not much considering he never drank more than one beer.

These are the beers I have enjoyed for any considerable time over the years - in chronological order:

Strohs' ("fire-brewed") - Haven't had one in years, but I bet I would still like the taste!

Miller - Nothing against the Champagne of Bottled Beer, but it's not Stroh's. What was I thinking?

Coors - Continuing my progression from flavorful to "cool", I guess. Really, is there any bad beer?

Yeungling - My current beer. Sometimes, I will go months (really) without drinking one. But, the first one - or two - of summer is great!

Heineken - Over the years, this has been my special occasion/reward beer and the one I often drink at work-related gatherings.

Craft Beers - I am pretty late to the party on these though I did have a Red Oak at our last gathering. About a dozen craft breweries in our area, so I need to get crackin' (someday).

And, yes, I have done the light beer thing - Miller Lite, Coors Lite, etc., too.

How about y'uns guys? What have been your mainstays over the years?

Prost!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-17, 06:06 AM
All Yappi

tallmadge H2 dad will become famous soon enough
I've turned into a whiskey guy now, but in my younger years I enjoyed a beer or two.

Natural Light- This was my first experience with beer back in high school. Cheap and did the trick.

Busch- Another cheap beer in my youth

LaBatt Blue- went through a phase in my early 20's where this is all I would drink. I think I liked the increased alcohol. Suddenly, Natural Light tasted like pee.

Corona- got on a Corona kick for awhile. I really like the taste of Corona

Christmas Ale- I always look forward to winter as this is my favorite beer now.

Yeungling- my choice now when I drink beer.

Crown Royal- my true love. I've drank Crown for about 20 years now, and will always prefer a Crown with a splash of Coke over a beer.
Old 04-29-17, 06:13 AM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
There are only a handful of beers I can actually tolerate since most taste like bitter water to me. Yuengling is one exception. I've had a sour ale from Belgium or some place like that. I can't remember the name of it, but it was actually really good.

Coors Light might be the worst thing I've ever consumed.
Old 04-29-17, 08:29 AM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Leinenkugel's and anything my neighbor brings home from his craft brewery.

Every once in a while a Strongbow, but that's a cider.
Old 04-29-17, 08:44 AM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Blue Moon draft with the orange slice. The rush I get from that first long sip is indescribable. But only one beer per sitting. Keeps the magic alive each time.
Old 04-29-17, 09:45 AM
All Yappi

CatAlum is on a distinguished road
In terms of consumption over a lifetime...

1. Stroh's
2. Bud Lite
3. Rolling Rock (70's/early 80's)
4. Miller Lite
5. Schmidt's (70's...college...cheap)

You can still purchase Stroh's but it's no longer a stand-alone brewery. It's nostalgic to hold the bottle but I don't think it's really Stroh's.

Craft beers...I get a big headache when I go to some medium-sized bar and I'm given a menu with 75 beers on it. No objection to this being the current "trend", but I'm just not that interested. These days, it's a basic light (Bud, Miller, Coors are all fine). I like Guinness as a change of pace. The Irish like to say about Guinness..."ah, it doesn't travel well"...and they're talking about the other side of their small country. Guinness is close to motor oil thickness in Dublin. I also like Murphy's Stout, a somewhat lighter competitor of Guinness...but it's hard to find outside of Ireland.

Blue Moon is also a favorite.
Old 04-29-17, 11:49 AM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
My go-to's:

High school -
Hudepohl 14K (quarts of Hudy were my first default beer)
Schoenling Little Kings
Genesee Cream Ale
Robin Hood Cream Ale (16 ounce "pounders")

College (anything cheap) -
Wiedemann (6-pack stubby bottles)
Schoenling Sir Edward Stout (college keg parties)
Buckhorn (12-pack cans)

Post-college -
Coors
Michelob/Michelob Light
Budweiser/Bud Light
Yuengling (my current go-to)

My taste in beer is rather unsophisticated, obviously. Lots of good-ole Cincy brews in the early days.
Old 04-29-17, 01:32 PM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Through the years>

High School:

In the '70s 3.2 beer was OK at 18 and the rumor was that Stroh's had the most alcohol content of any 3.2 beer.

College:

This was the height of Spuds Mackenzie when AB went to a youth movement, college kids were targeted with Bush.

Young Professional

Hung out with way too many Irish folks who thought this was all you needed to drink.

Current

If hops is now your thing might as well go all in.
Old 04-29-17, 01:48 PM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
FYI what made Stroh's Stroh's was the brewery in Detroit, it used copper kettles and a fire brew method with direct flame heat as opposed to steam heat. When it was purchased by Miller in the late '90s and they moved the brewery to Milwaukee many old fans believe it lost its traditional flavor.

Same thing happened with Rolling Rock. Originally it was a Pilsner style beer, (brewed by Benedictine Monks!) with a great sharp flavor brewed in Latrobe, PA using fresh local water from the Laurel Highland region. AB purchased and closed the Latrobe brewery; became just another domestic cheap lager like Busch brewed in their various urban locations.
Old 04-29-17, 02:11 PM
All World

Irwin20 is on a distinguished road
I never had a beer until my HS graduation night and don't recall what brand it was.

In College we used to drink Miller "The Champagne of Bottled Beers" Even bought Miller for most keg parties not sure why but I still drink it on occasion.

I worked at Latrobe Brewing 2 summers in College and we used to get a case a week as part of our compensation. It was much better when brewed in Latrobe. Not really fond of what they have done to it.

After college I drank mostly local beers in various cities I lived in. My favorite was Henry Weinhards brewed in Portland, Or.

Today I'll drink most anything in a pinch but favorites are Blue Moon, Guinness, Mt Carmel.
Old 04-29-17, 03:04 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
0-5 yrs: whatever the dad wasn't watching closely enough, so I'm told.
HS: Little Kings.
College: I seem to recall Red-White and Blue and whatever was in a pitcher or a keg.

Adult: I don't fixate.
Old 04-29-17, 03:39 PM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatAlum View Post
In terms of consumption over a lifetime...

1. Stroh's
2. Bud Lite
3. Rolling Rock (70's/early 80's)
4. Miller Lite
5. Schmidt's (70's...college...cheap)

You can still purchase Stroh's but it's no longer a stand-alone brewery. It's nostalgic to hold the bottle but I don't think it's really Stroh's.

Craft beers...I get a big headache when I go to some medium-sized bar and I'm given a menu with 75 beers on it. No objection to this being the current "trend", but I'm just not that interested. These days, it's a basic light (Bud, Miller, Coors are all fine). I like Guinness as a change of pace. The Irish like to say about Guinness..."ah, it doesn't travel well"...and they're talking about the other side of their small country. Guinness is close to motor oil thickness in Dublin. I also like Murphy's Stout, a somewhat lighter competitor of Guinness...but it's hard to find outside of Ireland.

Blue Moon is also a favorite.
You're the first person I ever encountered who admitted to drinking Bud Lite.
Old 04-29-17, 03:45 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post

It was the #1 beer in the USA for quite some time, so lots of people were drinking Bud Light...however admitting drinking Bud Light, might be a different story.
Old 04-29-17, 03:48 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
0-5 yrs: whatever the dad wasn't watching closely enough, so I'm told.
HS: Little Kings.
College: I seem to recall Red-White and Blue and whatever was in a pitcher or a keg.

Adult: I don't fixate.
RW&B ~ PBR / Busch ~ Budweiser

The skanky part of the same brewing vessel for the 2 cheapos of each brand, I think.
Old 04-29-17, 04:00 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
College
Natural Light - Cheap and plentiful at my college. "Natty" bottles was a real treat.
Rolling Rock - Not sure why, but I liked the "Green Death."
Moosehead - Probably drank it just to feel like I was more sophisticated than all the college mates at the bar who were drinking Bud Light.

Post-College
Honey Brown - The 24 oz. cans can still be had for $1.19 or less. That's hard to beat.
Sam Adams - Big fan of Vienna style lagers but may not always want to spend a little extra for Great Lakes' Elliot Ness.
Craft Beers - When I decide to drink anymore, I want it to be good. I went on a porter kick during the fall and winter with Kona Pipeline being a big winner with me, and now I've taken a strong liking to Alesmith's English Nut Brown Ale, but it's becoming more difficult to find.
Old 04-29-17, 04:15 PM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat is on a distinguished road
It depends on where I'm eating. If I'm in a sushi restaurant, I'll drink Kirin. In a Mexican, it'll be a Pacifico. In an Irish bar, it will be Harp; I've found that Guiness is best drunk by a fireplace when it's snowing or sleeting and it's below freezing, events that don't happen in Tucson. In other places, I'll see what's on tap, and usually wind up with a Blue Moon.
Old 04-29-17, 04:43 PM
All Yappi

CatAlum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
Hmmm...didn't know it was embarrassing to admit.

I could have mentioned other swill that I consumed over the years...Billy Beer (Jimmy Carter's brother...bought many cases for 2 bucks when they went out of business), Heritage House (Fazio's grocery store chain in-house). And who can forget Genessee, a 70's/80's staple...cheap and tolerable...or it's cousin Genny Cream?

Never drank (well almost never ) Busch or Nati Light.
Old 04-29-17, 05:56 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatAlum View Post
Hmmm...didn't know it was embarrassing to admit.

I could have mentioned other swill that I consumed over the years...Billy Beer (Jimmy Carter's brother...bought many cases for 2 bucks when they went out of business), Heritage House (Fazio's grocery store chain in-house). And who can forget Genessee, a 70's/80's staple...cheap and tolerable...or it's cousin Genny Cream?

Never drank (well almost never ) Busch or Nati Light.
We graduated from Little Kings to Genny Cream Ale, by about Senior year in high school.

An old man ran a dive carry-out in Kettering and he would always sell alcohol to us without carding, even though we were still in high school. One big party night, we were buying several cases of Genny Cream and he suddenly stopped and said, "Whoa, you guys don't look old enough." We thought our party plans were busted, until he said, "Better let me carry the booze to your car so nobody gets suspicious...open your trunk." Party on!
Old 04-29-17, 06:51 PM
All World

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
Rhinegeist Truth or Cougar.

If I'm at a place that does not have that, I will go with a yuengling or blue moon.
Old 04-29-17, 07:06 PM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
If I want to get drunk or be cheap then it's always Busch or Rolling Rock. Favorite specialty beer is a nice Hefeweizen, favorite beer overall is pretty much any plain old german lager. Yuengling hefeweizen is awesome and has a great price.

IPAs suck
Old 04-29-17, 07:34 PM
All Ohio

gneiss rocks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyTrojan05 View Post
Rhinegeist Truth or Cougar.

If I'm at a place that does not have that, I will go with a yuengling or blue moon.
You should ask for the Truth and nothing but the Truth...good choice.

Little kings, for young punks to throw at signs and say "I had 14 beers last night"
Bud, the bigger better king
Miller light, my first and only diet plan
Killians Irish red, a good tasting cheap drunk just makes me feel Irish
Shinner Bock and Cosmo's reserve, cause I want to be a big Texas bad as$...
Sam Adams and their rebel IPA, cause I'm going straight up beer snob.
Erdinger, cause Germans know how to engineer a beer!
Bells two Hearted, some fish have two hearts WTF???... Yummy!
Dogfish Head 90, cause its between 60 and 120.
Great lakes Monster and Commodore Perry, cause I still hate the British.
Smoked Black Bridge Porter form Moeller Brew Barn, how could I not like a beer named after the place I smoked my first cigarette, where we hid the playboys behind the limestone rocks, wrote my name in urine on the vertical wall from the other side(now it just kinda rolls out??)
I also love their Honey Wagon IPA.. ahh the floral notes.
Old 04-30-17, 08:14 AM
All Yappi

BobcatBomber is an unknown quantity at this point
First Beer: Grolsch - it was in a fridge at my friend's uncle's house we were watching while they were out of town. It was awful. Never had another one.

College Years: Bud Light. Natty Light. Honey Brown. Whatever was cheapest. May have bought a case of Red Dog once in my life. Switched to Icehouse mid-college for the higher alcohol content and price.

Young Adult: Bud Light. The friends I hung around with most drank Miller Lite, so I'd drink that if Bud Light wasn't available at gatherings.

Current: Craft beer. Went on a huge IPA kick for about a year, but now I really enjoy drinking the seasonal selections. Light IPAs are good in summer weather. Fall is probably my favorite season with the Oktoberfests and Pumpkins. Christmas Ales are good, as are Scottish Ales, Porters and Stouts in the colder months. I'm also collecting the Listermann series of 90's hip-hop releases.

Old 04-30-17, 08:16 AM
All Yappi

BobcatBomber is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig Hansen View Post
If I want to get drunk or be cheap then it's always Busch or Rolling Rock. Favorite specialty beer is a nice Hefeweizen, favorite beer overall is pretty much any plain old german lager. Yuengling hefeweizen is awesome and has a great price.

IPAs suck
I enjoy the occasional trip to Steinkeller in Oxford for the beers, but I am so uneducated on brands and german styles that I always have to ask for suggestions. Food is good, too.
Old 04-30-17, 04:22 PM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
Hires, Stewarts, A&W (Allen & Wright), IBC ( Independent Breweries Company ),
Barq's, Mug, Sam's, Big K, generic!

:>---

Miramar / MAG 11
Old 04-30-17, 04:49 PM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Sweetwater 420, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Dale's Pale Ale, Stella Artois, and Hoegaarden have been my go-to's over the years
Old 04-30-17, 05:04 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Dales is a great summer pool beer imo.
Old 04-30-17, 05:32 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiopup View Post
Hires, Stewarts, A&W (Allen & Wright), IBC ( Independent Breweries Company ),
Barq's, Mug, Sam's, Big K, generic!

:>---

Miramar / MAG 11
No Faygo? No Frostie's? Just picked up a 4-pack of Frostie's Root Beer and a 4-pack of Frostie's blue cream soda. Both are made with cane sugar. Can't wait to try 'em.
Old 04-30-17, 05:49 PM
All District

Bengal WhoDey is on a distinguished road
Pre-college: Natty Light
College: Bud Light, Natty Light, whatever else was cheap
Now: Bud Light, Miller Lite, Craft beers, Select 55 when driving
Old 04-30-17, 06:02 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig Hansen View Post

IPAs suck
How do you get drunk on that?
Old 04-30-17, 10:51 PM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
How do you get drunk on that?
By drinking a ton of them obviously. During the summer I like to start off with a few gin and tonics. Only mixed drink that I really like and I really care for.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: