Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #91  
Old 04-26-17, 06:22 PM
The Butler's Avatar
The Butler The Butler is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-02-02
Location: Perry Twp., Stark Co.
Posts: 8,083
The Butler is on a distinguished road
SC6 is unwatchable.
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 04-26-17, 06:45 PM
Arrogate Arrogate is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 12-27-16
Posts: 1,034
Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Jim Rome owns horses and I am a fan
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 04-26-17, 07:36 PM
Sig Hansen Sig Hansen is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 03-28-08
Location: the Reds will be fine.
Posts: 15,992
Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
The audio at the end is obviously fake, and Rome acting like an azz in that clip is what makes him awesome

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks Jemele Hill is awful. She was bad ever since the Cold Pizza days
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 04-26-17, 07:49 PM
Michael Bluth Michael Bluth is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-29-11
Location: The Mailroom
Posts: 15,406
Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Jayson Stark can name his next job covering baseball. Can do much better than ESPN
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 04-26-17, 07:52 PM
Michael Bluth Michael Bluth is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-29-11
Location: The Mailroom
Posts: 15,406
Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Surprised by Werder and Kanell being let go.

The fact that Russillo, Ravech, and Storm will have their roles "significantly reduced" is absurd. One could make the argument that those are three of their top five most talented employees. Hopefully Russillo tells them to kiss his a$s and gets another radio show
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 04-26-17, 07:57 PM
Michael Bluth Michael Bluth is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-29-11
Location: The Mailroom
Posts: 15,406
Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post
Yeah... which means 100% crap

no one was listening to that show for Greenburg. No one.
Well I can tell you right now you are wrong because Greeny was the ONLY reason I would ever turn that show on
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 04-26-17, 08:00 PM
nwwarrior09 nwwarrior09 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-11-09
Location: Springfield/Dayton
Posts: 5,762
nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
Some of the personnel choices made today were a clear indication that juiced commentary and "entertainment" are valued more than legitimate journalism at the network.
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 04-26-17, 08:03 PM
Michael Bluth Michael Bluth is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-29-11
Location: The Mailroom
Posts: 15,406
Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
He and Cowherd are two of the best in the business IMO.
No doubt. Great move by Cowherd jumping to Fox last year
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 04-26-17, 08:14 PM
Descartes Descartes is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 11-06-16
Posts: 2,510
Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig Hansen View Post
The audio at the end is obviously fake, and Rome acting like an azz in that clip is what makes him awesome

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks Jemele Hill is awful. She was bad ever since the Cold Pizza days
I know it's fake, but he was still a .And most ppl believe Hill is awful. My guess is SC6 will get a massive backlash and be cancelled in a year.

How'd that nasty b1tch Britt McHenry make the cut?
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 04-26-17, 08:14 PM
TroyTrojan05 TroyTrojan05 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-19-11
Posts: 4,031
TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
Greenberg and SVP are the best 2 at espn. On a side note I'd like to see Adnan Virk get his own show I think he's fantastic:
Reply With Quote
  #101  
Old 04-26-17, 08:18 PM
Descartes Descartes is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 11-06-16
Posts: 2,510
Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
No doubt. Great move by Cowherd jumping to Fox last year
Whitlock is solid too. He tore Shaun King a new azzhole on twitter for pretending to be black.
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 04-26-17, 08:20 PM
Descartes Descartes is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 11-06-16
Posts: 2,510
Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Doug Glanville also gone. Nothing on Twitter, but it came up during the Wed Nt Baseball broadcast. You'd think ESPN would've released a full list by now.
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 04-26-17, 08:25 PM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 770
Taco MacArthur is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico View Post
^^^ I'm having a hard time reading those in Simmons' lisp.
Weird you'd read it in Simmons' voice, given Bryan Curtis wrote it.
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 04-26-17, 08:29 PM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 770
Taco MacArthur is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
Surprised by Werder and Kanell being let go.

The fact that Russillo, Ravech, and Storm will have their roles "significantly reduced" is absurd. One could make the argument that those are three of their top five most talented employees. Hopefully Russillo tells them to kiss his a$s and gets another radio show
Yeah, not sure why any of them would stay. This is all about money. Significantly reduced role = significantly reduced salary. I want SVP and Russillo back together though.
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 04-26-17, 08:30 PM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 770
Taco MacArthur is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
Doug Glanville also gone. Nothing on Twitter, but it came up during the Wed Nt Baseball broadcast. You'd think ESPN would've released a full list by now.
Read ESPN wants everyone to tell their family and friends in their own way.
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 04-26-17, 08:42 PM
Sykotyk Sykotyk is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-12-06
Location: Lowellville, OH
Posts: 3,290
Sykotyk is on a distinguished road
ESPN has had a problem for years. And it is entirely self-inflicted. It was only a matter of when they'd have to do something about it.

ESPN doesn't exist in a vacuum. Nor, was its creation. Cable networks existed primarily on carrier fees, paid by every subscriber based on 'tiers'. You were either basic cable, extended cable, or a subscription. ESPN was started in the same manner as a lot of now well known stations: MTV, CNN, etc. A cheap station to cater to a particular topic. Stations that got included in almost every 'basic' tier. Which meant everyone paid for it, whether they watched it or not.

This is how cable operated. Primarily because the ability to segregate channels for each subscriber was near impossible. Which is why the premium channels cost what they did. But, ESPN didn't have a lot in the way of 'live' major broadcasts. They aired Americas Cup yacht racing, olympic sports, and oddball sports. And focused almost entirely on highlights. The problem with this 'business model' the cable companies had created, was it created artificial scarcity.

Either you had 'x channel' or you didn't. And the more 'in demand' channels could force themselves into the basic tier, which meant more subscribers paid. And providers paid for it, because with dish (before the smaller dishes became a thing) was still a distant possibility as competition.

ESPN, though, realizing their carriage contracts were rather limited in price increases (yearly adjustments were usually limited by contract or statute of the area being served), so they thought up the bright idea to create ESPN2. And then split games and shows between the two networks. Even if it was stuck in the extended tier, it still added more money for something they basically didn't pay rights fees.

This worked, until ESPN began to usurp network and regional channels for content. Cable commercials rates were skyrocketing as the networks diminished, and using their considerable clout to take on major rights fees. At the same time, ESPN did things such as buy Classic Sports and spun it into ESPN Classic, and also had created ESPNEWS. Which was essentially (or so they aimed), 24-hour SportsCenter. All to get more rights fees from providers.

And this is where the problem with viewership started to hit. ESPN isn't going to compete against themselves. As they monopolized cable sports broadcasting, there was no use putting a major game on one network to compete with the flagship station. As a viewer, you weren't getting more content. You were getting the same content repackaged and repurposed. One game would now air on two or three channels (With ESPNU in the mix after they realized ESPN Classic was a dud given their avoidance of truly using it to air classic sports). And when they weren't airing 'their' main game, they'd spend the rest of the day, week, month talking about that upcoming event or its aftermath.

They inadvertently limited their own audience. Instead of covering a wide breadth of sport, they laser focused it into one or two things at a time, which spun off their audience to things like NFL Network, MLB TV, NHL Network, Big Ten Network, etc. Basically forcing fans away to get the content they wanted if it wasn't the current 'marquee' event ESPN was airing. And god forbid a major sporting event was happening outside the ESPN networks. Their sudden disdain of the NHL was exhibit A in how blatant ESPN was when they low-balled the content and it went to Outdoor Life Network (which became Versus and eventually morphed into NBC's attempt at a cable sports network: NBCSN).

Now, all this consolidation of major events to ESPN had a two-fold effect. They were paying ridiculous sums to get content because their unwitting unwatching subscriber base was still paying their annual price increases. Right now, ESPN collects almost $10/mo from every cable subscriber in the country for all of their channels.

That's offloading the cost of John Q Sportsfan onto the general population. A general population that may watch a sporting event from time-to-time, but it is not appointment viewing to them. And even then, will probably be a local broadcast of a local team if anything.

This ploy works as long as the non-sports fan keeps cable and keeps ESPN's carriage fees stable. It hasn't. Cord-cutting has become a huge problem for ESPN. Because they're limited to how much they can raise their rates annually, they're actually bringing in far less each year thanks to Cord-cutters. And losing that base means even higher rates. Which means even more cord-cutters.

It's a vicious cycle. And it's actually just picking up steam.


Someone earlier up said that they can't wait for a la carte programming? Never going to happen. Primarily because content providers such as ESPN have their contracts strictly worded. It's available to ALL subscribers as part of the basic cable package. Any attempt to segregate it to a higher tier or a la carte means they lose it entirely. And despite the cord-cutters being a major thorn in their side, there's still an ardent number of viewers who will bail on their local cable provider the moment they lose ESPN channels.

Those are who the cable companies cater to when they saddle everyone else with ESPN's carriage fees. Because those numbers would bankrupt basically any local market's ability to provide cable service. For as much as broadband has become the de facto content of a cable company, it still itself is subsidized by the television customers paying monthly subscriptions into the hundreds of dollars to make you think $60 for broadband is the 'true cost'. Without hooking up house after house in a town for television, the cost to maintain and service broadband is not much different than telephone providers losing it when cell phones began to take over landlines as our preferred method of communication and that put DSL squarely in the crosshairs. It became an unneeded extra.


Having said all that, the bigger culprit in all of this will be the four major leagues and the big college conferences. After decades of building up fan bases, they've basically began harvesting that fandom for as much money as they can squeeze out of their addicted fans. This is limiting the ability for NEW fans to get involved. The casual fan. The young fan that will never step foot inside a major sports venue. Without easy and free (or believed free) access on television, those fans simply won't watch.

Why would a casual fan pay big money to get ESPN for one game they might casually channel surf through during a night? They won't. Instead, they will simply go on without ever crossing paths with that game. Those kids who will only be viewers, and nothing more, may never get involved at a young age because their parents never had sports on television. Because the cost, when spelled out specifically, just wasn't worth it. To the point the child doesn't even realize they'd want to watch Lakers-Clippers on a Thursday night.

That's where this is all headed. Instead of cultivating and continuing this fandom over decades, they've decided this is the end. They've built their fan base. And have decided their fan base still has more money available to give them. Their future fan base be damned.
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 04-26-17, 08:45 PM
Michael Bluth Michael Bluth is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-29-11
Location: The Mailroom
Posts: 15,406
Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Yeah, not sure why any of them would stay. This is all about money. Significantly reduced role = significantly reduced salary. I want SVP and Russillo back together though.
Agreed on SVP and Russillo. Loved that show, felt like it was gone right after they hit their stride
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 04-26-17, 08:52 PM
TylerDurden TylerDurden is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-12-01
Posts: 13,870
TylerDurden is on a distinguished road
That was the best show on radio. You could tell they were just being genuine and not trying for opinions that would elicit ratings.
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 04-26-17, 10:04 PM
Descartes Descartes is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 11-06-16
Posts: 2,510
Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Another noteable name, Dallas Braden gets the boot. Thought he was a good color guy.
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 04-26-17, 10:09 PM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 25,323
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
Especially hilarious because lotr would support a UBI if Trump came out in favor of it tomorrow. He has no principles of any kind, much less conservative ones.
lotr totally owns you. You can hardly stand it !
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 04-26-17, 10:10 PM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 25,323
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
This, I agree with. I hope Corso stays as long as he's "active."
yup
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 04-26-17, 10:13 PM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 25,323
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatAlum View Post
To each his own...I always thought Rome made my ears bleed. That faux ghetto thing he did.
He tries too hard to be cool. Pathetic.
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 04-26-17, 10:14 PM
14Red 14Red is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 1,251
14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig Hansen View Post
I really haven't payed attention to Rome since his show on ESPN was canceled so I'm not sure what he's like anymore. But I thought you'd like the guy for his opinions like this:

This is awesome! And it's the feelings of about 80% of us here in the states.
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 04-26-17, 10:14 PM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 25,323
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCLFan99 View Post
I think Greenberg might be driving this decision more than ESPN. ESPN was going to move their show to NYC then pulled the plug. Living in or around Bristol is a far cry from NYC and it would not surprise me if Greeny was pushing to get back home
With little kids ? Don't be too sure.
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 04-26-17, 10:15 PM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
Fake coolin' off
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 65,240
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Did they lay off the trump supporters or was it a bi-partisan RIF?
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 04-26-17, 10:15 PM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 25,323
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
Didn't know lotr had another username.
Ha! He owns another one !
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 04-26-17, 10:19 PM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 25,323
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
Jayson Stark can name his next job covering baseball. Can do much better than ESPN
Yeah, WB-SPN is looking vacuous and superficial by letting guys like him and Werder go.
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 04-26-17, 10:22 PM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 25,323
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
Surprised by Werder and Kanell being let go.

The fact that Russillo, Ravech, and Storm will have their roles "significantly reduced" is absurd. One could make the argument that those are three of their top five most talented employees. Hopefully Russillo tells them to kiss his a$s and gets another radio show
Kanell is a bit of a stooge at times. Maybe they pushed him that way - to "take a take" for some of their formulaic bits.

Russillo to CBS Radio ?
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 04-26-17, 10:24 PM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 25,323
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
Well I can tell you right now you are wrong because Greeny was the ONLY reason I would ever turn that show on
The total is greater than the sum of it's parts, imho. Should not mess.
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 04-26-17, 10:24 PM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 25,323
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwwarrior09 View Post
Some of the personnel choices made today were a clear indication that juiced commentary and "entertainment" are valued more than legitimate journalism at the network.
yup
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
In school dual today! ECW2009 Wrestling 13 12-23-16 03:18 PM
Did you vote today? Maxxamillion General Board 16 11-09-16 04:43 PM
More layoffs coming from ESPN TroyTrojan05 General Board 182 10-07-15 12:24 PM
Stuart Scott, ESPN Anchor, dies at age of 49 Yappi General Board 11 01-07-15 11:10 AM
Boxcast and ESPN Cleveland team up to stream High School games The Butler Football 33 10-15-14 07:47 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:30 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz