Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-26-17, 02:17 PM
All Yappi

CatAlum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
Add Len Elmore to the list. Not a fan of his, but he's been at it a while. Have to wonder how long they'll keep Corso or Dickie V. Corso's been a walking corpse for about 10 years.
Corso...I watch that show on Saturday morning in the fall primarily because HE's on it. He has a great schtick. It's lighthearted, fun...everyone is IN on the joke and EVERYONE can TAKE the joke...he's the personification of why attending an OSU/UM/ND game is a whole lot more fun than a Steelers/Bengals/Browns game.

I'm sure they've done their research. The people whose Q rating is high, who influence ratings (probably about 10-15% of their talent)...they're not going anywhere.
Old 04-26-17, 02:23 PM
All American

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Few other semi- noticeable names...Trent Dilfer, Jay Crawford, Jayson Stark...
Old 04-26-17, 02:23 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
I used to like watching the top of the 6:00 SportsCenter. Now, with the "The Six", I don't bother.
Old 04-26-17, 02:32 PM
All Ohio

Taco MacArthur is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatAlum View Post
Corso...I watch that show on Saturday morning in the fall primarily because HE's on it. He has a great schtick. It's lighthearted, fun...everyone is IN on the joke and EVERYONE can TAKE the joke...he's the personification of why attending an OSU/UM/ND game is a whole lot more fun than a Steelers/Bengals/Browns game.
This, I agree with. I hope Corso stays as long as he's "active."
Old 04-26-17, 02:33 PM
All Yappi

EHS 2001 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Add Len Elmore to the list. Not a fan of his, but he's been at it a while. Have to wonder how long they'll keep Corso or Dickie V. Corso's been a walking corpse for about 10 years.
Hasn't Vitale already cut back on the number of games he broadcasts? If so, it was no doubt for less money than he previously made so he's probably safe. (Same with Berman, probably.)

Quote:
Someone reported this morning that the College GameDay crew was safe from cuts.
Old 04-26-17, 02:39 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHS 2001 View Post
Someone reported this morning that the College GameDay crew was safe from cuts.
Desmond Howard is great on that show too...when he laughs, it's like someone is tickling him.

They all behave like they had tons of fun last night in Ann Arbor, or Austin, or Clemson, or Madison.
Old 04-26-17, 02:41 PM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I think Greenburg is the consummate media professional. He's the talk show equivalent of the comedy straight man. His job is to make the trains run on time. His show is a great show if the guest (or Golic) knocks it out of the park.

Greenburg is the one with a bright future. Golic (who comes from my part of the world and who I like) is the one that it's hard to imagine running his own radio show. Just listen to him on those rare occasions where he takes Greenie's job when he's on vacation.
Big fan, huh?

I always preferred when Greenburg was gone and it was Golic and Herm Edwards, or anyone else for that matter, for the week. It was more direct and to the point. Less flowery BS that strayed from the topic.

To be fair, Greenburg was always more Matt Lauer than say, a Dan Patrick. He's not a real sports fan and it showed. He never had a real opinion on anything. Call him a 'professional' if you want, but I'd call him dry and boring. The question is, if he wanted to go in that direction, why did he wait 20 years?
Old 04-26-17, 02:47 PM
All American

WinstonSmith is on a distinguished road
Greenberg is phenomenal IMO. He's very clearly a sports fan and his points of view/opinions are one as a sports fan, as opposed to a writer/former player like we see so often. He asks questions and looks at things in a very thoughtful manor and similar to how many fans do IMO. I completely disagree about your assessment of him, except for your take that without a Golic-like sidekick he will not do as well.
Old 04-26-17, 02:48 PM
All American

He and Cowherd are two of the best in the business IMO.
Old 04-26-17, 02:51 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
Greenberg is phenomenal IMO. He's very clearly a sports fan and his points of view/opinions are one as a sports fan, as opposed to a writer/former player like we see so often. He asks questions and looks at things in a very thoughtful manor and similar to how many fans do IMO. I completely disagree about your assessment of him, except for your take that without a Golic-like sidekick he will not do as well.
That last part is what matters most right now
Old 04-26-17, 02:53 PM
All American

Yeah, I struggle to understand how the concept of the new show will succeed, and that's really regardless of who they would have featured on it. Yet another bad move IMO by ESPN to eliminate one of the aspects that remains good about them in Mike and Mike. The radio market is one thing that is not severely impacted by social media in terms of viewing sports.
Old 04-26-17, 02:53 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
He and Cowherd are two of the best in the business IMO.
Cowherd and about 10 million others all owe a huge debt of gratitude to Jim Rome.

No matter how hard they try none of these guys will ever top the Jim Everett interview from Rome is burning. NONE OF THEM would ever have the stones to spout their garbage to an athletes face.

Heck, if ESPN had stuck with Rome, they might not be in the desperate position they find themselves in right now.
Old 04-26-17, 03:01 PM
All Yappi

To each his own...I always thought Rome made my ears bleed. That faux ghetto thing he did.
Old 04-26-17, 03:09 PM
All Region

GCLFan99 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I think Greenburg is the consummate media professional. He's the talk show equivalent of the comedy straight man. His job is to make the trains run on time. His show is a great show if the guest (or Golic) knocks it out of the park.

Greenburg is the one with a bright future. Golic (who comes from my part of the world and who I like) is the one that it's hard to imagine running his own radio show. Just listen to him on those rare occasions where he takes Greenie's job when he's on vacation.
Agreed. Their chemistry has helped Golic more than Greenberg. Greenberg's talent will allow him to transition away from a sports only role if he so chooses.
Old 04-26-17, 03:11 PM
All Region

Quote:
Yeah, I struggle to understand how the concept of the new show will succeed, and that's really regardless of who they would have featured on it. Yet another bad move IMO by ESPN to eliminate one of the aspects that remains good about them in Mike and Mike. The radio market is one thing that is not severely impacted by social media in terms of viewing sports.
I think Greenberg might be driving this decision more than ESPN. ESPN was going to move their show to NYC then pulled the plug. Living in or around Bristol is a far cry from NYC and it would not surprise me if Greeny was pushing to get back home
Old 04-26-17, 03:17 PM
All Region

I disagree that political views or left leaning bias has driven people from ESPN. It comes down to millions few cable subscribers which in turn drives down advertising revenue. ESPN made money on every cable subscriber regardless of whether they watched ESPN. They were able to demand that their channel was part of even basic cable.

ESPN is also a victim of an every shortening attention span coupled with a desire and opportunity to have immediate news driven to a person's phone. One used to have to rely on Sports Center to get the days sports news. Now it hits your phone via Twitter within minutes of it occurring. Many people (especially younger ones) are less willing to sit and watch a 30 or 60 minute show like PTI.
Old 04-26-17, 03:22 PM
All Ohio

Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
Good take from The Ringer(Bill Simmons' site.)

My favorite quotes

Quote:
One of the curses of living in interesting times is that every media organization bears the mark of a secret political agenda, according to that one guy on the message board who has figured it all out.
Quote:
“Is ESPN a liberal network?” is a legitimate and interesting question that deserves examination. But if you see someone saying ESPN got comeuppance for its “agenda,” they have, in nearly every case, just revealed their own.
https://theringer.com/espn-layoffs-d7fad2feb8d5
Old 04-26-17, 03:26 PM
All American

serpico is on a distinguished road
^^^ I'm having a hard time reading those in Simmons' lisp.
Old 04-26-17, 03:42 PM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Simmons and his shtick of trying to relate every single thing to a tv or movie reference is horrible. Never understood why he has such an avid following. Jim Rome and Cowherd are awesome imo.
Old 04-26-17, 03:49 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post
Also, it seems that ESPN is THIS CLOSE to being totally out of the hockey business. They can finally pull the plug on their pathetic attempt kind of but not really acknowledging the NHL.
I can't blame espn for not wanting to cover hockey since they don't have any of the live contracts anymore, but it's pretty funny to see them mail it in so bad with their coverage. I'm kind of surprised they didn't get rid of Barry Melrose and just forget the NHL altogether. Just go to TSN.ca if you want hockey coverage
Old 04-26-17, 03:55 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
I do not watch ESPN other than the live sports.....

The women need to go. Sorry, we do not need sideline reporters who's only purpose is to look good. The WNBA needs to go.... nobody watches it.... Go back to old school, I do not need breaking news to pop up on ESPN when someone comes out of the closet.... that is not news..... a no hitter going into the 8th inning, now that is news.....
Old 04-26-17, 03:57 PM
All Ohio

Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
Has there been an instance of them not reporting a no-hitter going into the 8th inning?
Old 04-26-17, 04:03 PM
All World

Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig Hansen View Post
Simmons and his shtick of trying to relate every single thing to a tv or movie reference is horrible. Never understood why he has such an avid following. Jim Rome and Cowherd are awesome imo.
Rome is a dbag.
Old 04-26-17, 04:10 PM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
I do not watch ESPN other than the live sports.....

The women need to go. Sorry, we do not need sideline reporters who's only purpose is to look good. The WNBA needs to go.... nobody watches it.... Go back to old school, I do not need breaking news to pop up on ESPN when someone comes out of the closet.... that is not news..... a no hitter going into the 8th inning, now that is news.....
Didn't know lotr had another username.
Old 04-26-17, 04:10 PM
All Yappi

One of the purposes of the Rhorshach test is to "detect underlying thought disorder".

I'm thinking...new, easier test to replace the Rhorshach test..."Do you/did you like the Jim Rome Show"?
Old 04-26-17, 04:31 PM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Kind of surprised at the timing of this, tomorrow is actually one of the biggest days of the year for ESPN; they tend to suck up to the NFL and give them their full attention. A Friday late afternoon is usually the way to do it so the weekend news cycle kind of washes everything negative away and Monday starts a new day.
Old 04-26-17, 04:39 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Rome is a dbag.
I really haven't payed attention to Rome since his show on ESPN was canceled so I'm not sure what he's like anymore. But I thought you'd like the guy for his opinions like this:

Old 04-26-17, 05:24 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig Hansen View Post
I really haven't payed attention to Rome since his show on ESPN was canceled so I'm not sure what he's like anymore. But I thought you'd like the guy for his opinions like this:

Old 04-26-17, 05:32 PM
All World

I wasn't aware he was still at ESPN, but Jerry Punch is gone. I guess he shifted his focus more towards to nascar instead of CFB
Old 04-26-17, 05:53 PM
All District

Elder4Life is on a distinguished road
As someone who has grown up watching ESPN religiously my whole life it's honestly sad seeing where they have gone. ESPN has gone too far away from what they're really good at, showing live sports and talking about what happened in those games.

I'm too young to know what the glory days of MTV were like, but I'm sure they were like how ESPN was to me. Come home from school, turn on Sports Center. Wake up on Saturday/Sunday morning, turn on Sports Center. Hopefully ESPN can turn it around, but seeing that Jemele Hill still has a a secure job and people like John Buccigross are being let go or their contracts are up in the next few months is not a promising sight.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: