Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-25-17, 04:06 PM
Yappi Supporter

FormerWildcat is on a distinguished road
Michigan basketball coach resigns because 'parents have taken the fun out of it'

Legit gripe? Or just a bunch of whining?

http://usatodayhss.com/2017/clayton-...chigan-parents

Quote:
A Michigan high school basketball coach has resigned after leading his team to the regional championship game.

While Clayton Castor wrote that there were a number of reasons for his departure at Gladstone, his main reason — he no longer wanted to deal with players’ parents.

“At the end of the day, the reason why I am resigning is because of parents,” Castor said, according to The Daily Press. “I don’t want to deal with them. The last five years I have coached at Gladstone I have given it my life. My time could have been better spent doing other things.

“I really, really enjoy this. But parents have taken the fun and enjoyment right out of it. Maybe some of this is on me. I just don’t have thick enough skin or the will to put up with it. For that amount of time, it’s just not worth it.”

He also cited a meeting with the booster club that he thought was “out of line” and the suspension of five players for violating training rules that “took the wind out of my sails, but we gathered ourselves back and fought really hard,” Castor said.

In the end, he said: “I have a lot of different reasons why I wanted to resign and only a few reasons to stick around.”

The program had 18 wins this past season, the most since 1996-97, and Castor finished with a two-year record of 29-15.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-17, 08:41 AM
All District

sprtsfan247 is on a distinguished road
This isn't griping. This is true. The "in" thing to do now, is file "bullying" complaints against coaches who yell at little Johnny or don't give little Johnny the right amount of playing time or don't put little Johny on the right team.

Parents are out of control. If this was a job that paid a full salary I would say "deal with it". However, when you look at what HS coaches get paid, why would you deal with this? I agree with this coach 100% and I think it is great that he had the backbone to actually say it in the paper.
Old 04-26-17, 09:43 AM
Freshman

Snowman8 is on a distinguished road
^ I'm with you. I recently saw that a small high school baseball team forfeited the rest of their season. The team was 3-0 to start the year and had a couple solid wins, but only had 10 players.

I heard that one of the parents was complaining about playing time/spot in the lineup/positions for their two sons. I guess the coach refused to cave to the parents so they took their boys off the team. Since the team only has 8 players, they had to forfeit the remainder of the season.

I have no idea how true that is, but it sounds like something that could happen nowadays. Just so frustrating. Most coaches don't get paid enough to deal with all that.
Old 04-26-17, 02:23 PM
All District

USA70PP is on a distinguished road
If I were in a position of authority at that school, and this really happened, I'd have to tell the parents to get their boys in another school because no matter how good they are or what sport it is, they would never wear that school's uniform again.
Old 04-26-17, 02:33 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
The one part of the article that raises an eyebrow:
Quote:
and the suspension of five players for violating training rules that “took the wind out of my sails"
I would really like to hear the other side. Having rules is a major part of the educational side of sports. Skirting those rules and receiving punishment is part of the system. Why did this take the "wind out of his sails"? Was it because it was an unfair punishment? His players/parents let him down by skirting the rules? Was he an active participant in breaking the rules?
Old 04-27-17, 06:52 AM
All American

Bo Kimble is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA70PP View Post
If I were in a position of authority at that school, and this really happened, I'd have to tell the parents to get their boys in another school because no matter how good they are or what sport it is, they would never wear that school's uniform again.
False, you would not, for the same reason the AD here presumably didn't & many don't throughout the state/country, you'd be next. Calling board members asking for you head & board members or administration would listen. The day of lording over programs is over and it's only going to get worse.
Old 04-27-17, 07:17 AM
All World

3out2in is an unknown quantity at this point
I always hear people say that kids in this day and age are different and that they are the problem. Wrong. This generation of parents are the problem. You can throw in spineless administrators who give in to parents constantly.
Old 04-27-17, 07:33 AM
Varsity

Philos_Finest is on a distinguished road
I know of a county sheriff who made personal house visits & phone calls to board members because he was unhappy with a high school coach.

The things that go on are unreal.
Old 04-27-17, 09:10 AM
All Yappi

JElder is on a distinguished road
This is also the main reason officials are down in almost every sport, especially basketball.
Old 04-27-17, 10:46 AM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3out2in View Post
i always hear people say that kids in this day and age are different and that they are the problem. Wrong. This generation of parents are the problem. You can throw in spineless administrators who give in to parents constantly.
+1.
Old 04-27-17, 11:36 AM
All World

afwpatfire is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I always hear people say that kids in this day and age are different and that they are the problem. Wrong. This generation of parents are the problem. You can throw in spineless administrators who give in to parents constantly.
Had a discussion about this the other day and I agree with you. It is not kids that have changed, it's what adults expect out of kids that has changed. It is also just not this generation of parents, it has been progressing this way for awhile.
Old 04-27-17, 11:46 AM
All Ohio

Look Ma No Hands is on a distinguished road
Old 04-27-17, 03:42 PM
All Region

bass10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Look Ma No Hands View Post
Great post and oh so real. Heard a parent that is moving his kid and family to another school (HS mind you) because that coach shoots more 3's than the school they're currently at. WHAT, are you completely assinine?
Old 04-27-17, 08:47 PM
Varsity

tndog is on a distinguished road
YES, some are completely assinine
Old 04-28-17, 06:51 AM
All District

sprtsfan247 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tndog View Post
YES, some are completely assinine
Parents and others will say. . .

"It is a choice, parents are allowed to move their kids to a better situation".

What happens when little Johnny is an adult, in college and he is in a class that he doesn't like? Or he has a professor that he doesn't get along with? What happens when little Johnny gets into the workforce and he doesn't get the promotion or he isn't in the job he wants. Is mommy or daddy going to complain to the boss or to the department head at the college or university?

To me, that is the message that parents are sending kids. "If you don't like it, just leave". Sometimes if you pay your dues, if you get through a tough time things will work out. Sometimes they don't. Regardless you as an individual grew and are a better person. The parents of today simply move their kids or complain for their kids about concerns that are minor.
Old 05-04-17, 05:34 PM
All District

trojandave is on a distinguished road
I totally agree with the above posts about overbearing parents......Mom and Dad simply cannot look at their child's situation objectively. Then the blame game is in full force......it's the coach's fault, the star player is a ballhog, the officials don't know what they're doing, and the school board needs to make changes. So many times these same parents really don't know the game that well to begin with, and they love to nitpick about this or that.

Fortunately here at Portsmouth we have a great coach, Eugene Collins, who will be entering his 9th season at PHS, which is the 3rd longest tenure in school history. There is very little if any interference from parents as to what Coach Collins does, because he has a great rapport with his kids, they know what to expect from him, and he realizes when to push them and when to praise them. He has had a half dozen kids further their basketball careers in college. For the most part, the parents support Coach Collins, but there are always going to be a few detractors no matter how successful you are.
Old 05-04-17, 09:02 PM
All World

Flood
Quote:
I hate to tell you, but many "spineless" administrators WANT to make the right decision, but they are not supported by their supervisor. And IF, a superintendent in this day and age wanted to stand his ground against a bunch of parents, most BOEs would not stand for it, and he'd/she'd be out. All you guys that say you'd do "this and that" are far from reality. You'd be unemployed. "Certain" parents run the schools. Get on board or get out.
Old 05-05-17, 08:52 PM
All District

Salesman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
I hate to tell you, but many "spineless" administrators WANT to make the right decision, but they are not supported by their supervisor. And IF, a superintendent in this day and age wanted to stand his ground against a bunch of parents, most BOEs would not stand for it, and he'd/she'd be out. All you guys that say you'd do "this and that" are far from reality. You'd be unemployed. "Certain" parents run the schools. Get on board or get out.
^^^^^^ You hit it right on the head. Lots of politics involved in teaching and coaching often with little support from the top dogs
Old 05-06-17, 07:10 AM
All District

USA70PP is on a distinguished road
A lot of coaches are paid a small amount because it is a supplemental contract going along with their teaching contract. How about some of these parents take the job and see how they like it.
Old 05-08-17, 11:00 AM
Junior Varsity

Justice is on a distinguished road
+1