Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-18-17, 07:10 PM
All Ohio

The Dock is an unknown quantity at this point
Lancaster Fisher Cath. job

Any names, any ideas for who will take this job?

D4 school, very competitive league with Harvest Prep, Wellington, Bishop Rosecrans, Grove City Christian and Fairfield Christian all are consistently solid competition with plenty of talent.

Irish have some talent, not usually enough though to be consistent contenders.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-17, 09:33 AM
Freshman

Snowman8 is on a distinguished road
Who would want this job? They've had what, 6 coaches in the last 7 years? Not an overwhelming amount of talent there and I believe the school is shrinking. And like you mentioned, that conference has some stiff competition. It's been very top heavy the last two years and is adding a Rosecrans and a team that just went to state two years in a row. So they'll likely be getting pounded 10 games a year just in their own conference.

Coach Albanese seemed to have things moving on the right track until he stepped down in the middle of the season (I still never heard why). His replacement did a really nice job but isn't returning (not sure what the situation is there). I don't know much about the situation, but any time there is that much turnover in a program it seems like there would likely be politics involved or a major lack of administrative support.

I'm sorry to not answer you question with names, but I would be pulling for them to go with a young, enthusiastic guy who will stick around long-term and can get kids interested in the game. It's tough to develop a love for the game when your leaders are constantly changing, so I'd hope that they can find a good young coach and stick with him.
Old 04-19-17, 12:14 PM
Varsity

Philos_Finest is on a distinguished road
Rosecrans went to state in boys soccer...
Old 04-19-17, 12:42 PM
All Ohio

There is more than meets the eye to the coaching carousel. The coach before Albanese was getting into issues on the court (three technicals in his first three games there, including an ejection & suspension, and a couple other dumb things like blowing off the end of season, league meeting. Joe Bills, coach until end of 2013, left to take the job at DeSales. His predecessor was Ben Schenko, who served in an interim role for only one year (2010-11; the last time the Irish have won a sectional title.) Now the head coach @ Watkins Memorial, he was then an interim as the originally hired coach for that season got into huge legal trouble the week of the first game.

The situation with Albanese, I don't know much about. The interim is also the right-hand man to the head football coach come fall, so double duty may not have been optimal.

I think the biggest obstacle, traditionally, has been the lack of employment opportunity (teaching) to be had in the building. Basketball coach hasn't served in a full-time teaching position since 2008. Either you work as a layman and work your schedule around for it, or you stay at the public school system currently employing you. If driving time presents to be a challenge (Joe Bills taught at Lakewood while coaching at FC, for instance) the job may not be doable after more than a year or two.

School's enrollment plunged 47% (317 to 169; all students 9-12) from to 2008 to 2015. It is actually starting to slowly trickle up, thanks in part to more proactive approaches in 'recruiting'; stronger public relations, capitalizing on the recent successes in the athletics program (two state titles came home in the 2015-2016 school year; two D1, three D2, and three D3 athletics signees in last year's outgoing senior class) and the academic extracurriculars; and getting more families to check out the open houses.
Old 04-20-17, 07:15 AM
All District

JAS is on a distinguished road
I believe they also have a different athletic director since the last time the basketball job opened.
Old 04-20-17, 08:52 AM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
From afar this looks like a really tough gig. Hard to sell a job where you're probably at best going to be able to go 3-7 or 4-6 in your own league on a yearly basis.
Old 04-24-17, 01:55 PM
All Region

coachablekid is on a distinguished road
Fisher Catholic is located where in Lancaster? Just curious, because I know where Bloom Carroll is and Lancaster high school.
Old 04-24-17, 02:08 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachablekid View Post
Fisher Catholic is located where in Lancaster? Just curious, because I know where Bloom Carroll is and Lancaster high school.
It's in the northern part of Lancaster (just barely in the limits.)

Lancaster High School is on State Route 37. Fisher Cath is also on Route 37. Its roughly a mile north of Lancaster HS, on the opposite side of LHS. It's just north, also, of noted baseball facility Beavers' Field and the Lancaster campus of Ohio University.

If you ever find yourself in the area of Lancaster HS and driving north on Route 37 as you leave Lancaster HS, look for a brick exterior with a somewhat large white cross on its side. That's the school!
Old 04-25-17, 08:19 AM
All District

I think there seems to be a theme this year in high school that ADs are struggling to find time to fill their openings for varsity head coaching positions. I think there is a large responsibility to oversee spring sports and that takes a lot of time. The spring sports also make scheduling interviews difficult because times after school usually are lost for events. Seeing that very few schools have filled their openings I would be shocked if it weren't into May before most basketball coaches are hired.
Old 04-26-17, 12:19 PM
All Region

coachablekid is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dock View Post
It's in the northern part of Lancaster (just barely in the limits.)

Lancaster High School is on State Route 37. Fisher Cath is also on Route 37. Its roughly a mile north of Lancaster HS, on the opposite side of LHS. It's just north, also, of noted baseball facility Beavers' Field and the Lancaster campus of Ohio University.

If you ever find yourself in the area of Lancaster HS and driving north on Route 37 as you leave Lancaster HS, look for a brick exterior with a somewhat large white cross on its side. That's the school!
Thanks! Working for the Columbus District and there might not be know teaching positions could be a problem. Just saying why it is hard to fill that position.
Old 04-27-17, 11:25 AM
All Ohio

I haven't heard of any teaching positions coming open yet, but as someone familiar with the school I know they have a few that are at, or nearing, the retirement age. Two years ago they restructured the faculty in a way where some of the older teachers took on part-time status, but with the current (slow) increase enrollment and the potential that enrollment can shoot back up pending the passage of a possible voucher system expansion, I wouldn't necessarily rule out full-time teaching positions being available soon.

On the case of vouchers... under the EdChoice model (the current voucher system), FC was not eligible/able to get families that could pay for tuition with a voucher scholarship as Lancaster City Schools is/was not a 'failing' school system. Vouchers could be relevant here because there is pending legislation in the Ohio General Assembly to revamp the voucher system to where the criteria for eligibility is income-based rather than public school performance based; if the legislation is passed, FC will certainly benefit from it. Senate Bill 85 is a proposal that would render families whose income is 200% of the Federal Poverty Line eligible for the full cost of private school tuition (up to $7500, which would cover FC's tuition.) Students whose families make income 400% of the FPL are eligible for half-tuition. In a town that has been on the fringes of near economic collapse since 2008, and for a school that saw its steep enrollment decline directly caused by changes in the local economy, this makes a chance for FC to get more money pumped into the school and the talent pool to expand.

On the case of candidates, the process, etc...

When football opened up in late October/early November (whenever the end of the season was), it was one of the first jobs opened and one of the first ones filled. They found a candidate they liked from the Cleveland area. When basketball opened up, it was one of the first jobs opened and won't be one of the first ones filled. Given the time this process has taken, my guess is they're carefully assessing the program as is, where they want the program to be next year, where they want the program to be in five years, and what they're looking for in a candidate to help them reach their goals. My guess is, for a D4 school that hasn't had much recent success, they got a "good" number of applicants. Haven't heard a total number, but they probably got the typical mix of applicants that really want the job and the applicants that put in just to gain the experience of applying and interviewing.

Possible candidates? I haven't heard any names, but I bet the girls basketball coach for them probably put in. Head coach for two years, believe both season were winning records. Alum of the program, a young guy that knows the game and has been pretty dedicated to the school since his graduation. There's another alum that is an assistant in the Cincy area, a good coach, that may have applied. I present these in purely speculative terms, no idea if these people applied or not.

Could Luke Truex, former coach at Lancaster, have applied? Any local candidates that might have applied? I had heard a current varsity coach in Fairfield Co applied for a job elsewhere, so maybe he also applied at FC? Not a big name varsity coach, but someone who has the experience.

Am curious to see who gets the nod.
Old 04-28-17, 07:16 AM
All District

I never understood the idea of moving the girls coach to the boys. One, it doesn't change the work the AD has to do, he still has to hire a varsity basketball coach. Second, the AD risks hurting two programs the current successful girls program and the guys. If I were an AD I'd keep the stability and not move the girls coach if he applies.
Old 05-12-17, 02:42 PM
Freshman

JU-ICE is on a distinguished road
Fisher Catholic has hired Shawn Brown as their new head coach
Old 05-12-17, 07:12 PM
All Ohio

Exciting hire!
Old 05-15-17, 06:30 AM
All District

Who is he?
Old 05-18-17, 10:11 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS View Post
Who is he?
Former assistant at Bloom-Carroll. Very energetic and well-respected coach in this area.