Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-19-17, 07:17 PM
Freshman

OkolonaBlues is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwuerth View Post
Cincinnati Summit Country Day point guard Sam Martin has accepted an offer from Mick Cronin and UC to join the program as a preferred walk-on. Sam was Southwest Ohio Division III player of the year and led Summit to a 26-1 record.

He will be a part of the Lindner Business College honors program and has recived a full tuition academic scholarship!

Kudos to Sam!!
Good for him. Always appeared to handle himself well. I will add the NCAA must have changed their rules. Previously kids in men's basketball and football on academic scholarships would count against the allowable athletic scholarships. This prevented programs from loading up with additional athletes, that coaches said were on academic aid.
Old 04-20-17, 10:34 AM
All District

LoveToBall is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkolonaBlues View Post
Good for him. Always appeared to handle himself well. I will add the NCAA must have changed their rules. Previously kids in men's basketball and football on academic scholarships would count against the allowable athletic scholarships. This prevented programs from loading up with additional athletes, that coaches said were on academic aid.

Right. My understanding is he can practice with the team but the moment he plays in a game he counts towards the scholarship limit. That would mean he's unlikely to get mop up minutes unless somebody leaves the program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-17, 12:20 PM
All World

jwuerth is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure where you got that info about walk-ons who are on academic scholarship counting toward the 13 or 85 scholarship number. Not the case. Heck, Joe Burger from LaSalle was on academic scholarship at OSU and played in a ton of games over his career. He didn't count against the 85. There are preferred walk ons all over the country who get academic money and play some and don't count toward the athletic scholarships. Now, I don't think you can take an official visit and be a walk on, which he didn't. Sam won't count toward the 13 UC athletic schollies.
Old 04-20-17, 12:27 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kballer View Post
No he's not even related- can you imagine!? He posted the ACT score in an earlier thread about Martin- who does that about someone else's kid?!. This guy also put out rude response on social media to Mike Dyer- guy is just bizarre and trying too hard.
I am really glad you care so much. It is so sweet. Thanks. And yes, I am pretty much family but it's all good, no need to explain myself to you two clowns. Do you really think I would put info out there that I wasn't allowed to?! Now that is a good one. And no, my response to Dyer wasn't rude, it was correcting who he attributed the breaking of Sam's news to. And it wasn't Corey who broke the news, it was actually Sam on his own twitter, which I retweeted to Corey and Dyer. And talk about wacko, love that you're stalking me. Funny stuff.
Old 04-20-17, 02:23 PM
All World

troyboy73
Wuerthless post
Old 04-20-17, 03:08 PM
All American

D4fan is on a distinguished road
Does UC commonly give full academic scholarship for just a 32? At Ohio state that may get you 10% ($2,500).

Perhaps that is where the "prefered" comes in.
Old 04-20-17, 04:49 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by D4fan View Post
Does UC commonly give full academic scholarship for just a 32? At Ohio state that may get you 10% ($2,500).

"just a 32" Okay, once everyone is done laughing at that bit of inane..

You have that in writing somewhere? A 34 will get you a full ride plus. Your numbers seem low to me for a 32. What I found was 32, merit alone not counting other sources, could get $5000 (Maximus) accumulated up to $20,000. ACT is only one means to qualify. Class Rank could also do it.
Old 04-20-17, 05:15 PM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
This is why it is inappropriate to give out such personal information on such a forum. Now you've got people discussing his ACT scores.
Speaking in general terms and not about one kid at all---
as someone who has kids that have gone through the college process- a 32 is a competitive score for the vast majority of schools, but unfortunately in this day and age it is not going to get you as much as many would think. Certainly could get you in to OSU but not a full tuition scholarship unless you have a "hook" URM, first generation, unique major, etc. Schools like Summit and St. X - that score is middle of the pack, but they have excellent college counselors who help get kids into the top schools/programs year in and out. However the Lindner Honors Plus is a competitive program that looks at more than Test scores, so you could get a full academic scholarship with that score. A 32 would be tough to get into the Ivy League and the more "prestigious" schools like Vandy, ND, Michigan, Nova, Georgetown, etc. especially for a white male. That said- there are tons of kids who would be thrilled to get that score, but the days of a 30+ getting you admitted and $ at every school are long gone. So aim right when looking at schools if you have a 30, 32, 28 whatever- see what the averages are, see what the "tiers" are for academic $ and apply for every bit of aid/scholarship that you can.
Old 04-20-17, 05:50 PM
Freshman

OkolonaBlues is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'm not sure where you got that info about walk-ons who are on academic scholarship counting toward the 13 or 85 scholarship number. Not the case. Heck, Joe Burger from LaSalle was on academic scholarship at OSU and played in a ton of games over his career. He didn't count against the 85. There are preferred walk ons all over the country who get academic money and play some and don't count toward the athletic scholarships. Now, I don't think you can take an official visit and be a walk on, which he didn't. Sam won't count toward the 13 UC athletic schollies.
My info came from my own personal experience and decision I had to make 30 years ago. They could have changes the rule, but you are going to have to give me a better example than Joe. Yes, he was a preferred walk on, but he was awarded an athletic scholarship while at OSU. Why would OSU waste a scholarship on him, if the did not have to...because he was on a academic scholarship according to your knowledge. Doesn't add up on my end.
Old 04-20-17, 06:53 PM
All American

As long as a player doesnt receive a dime of athletic $, they are not counted in the allowed number of scholarship athletes on a team even if the have a full tuition academic scholarship. If they receive some athletic $ and some academic scholarship /financial aid then they count towards the total allowed scholarship players (13).
Old 04-20-17, 07:32 PM
All Ohio

yakyak is on a distinguished road
My ACT score was 71. I stil receive 10k a year in scholarship funds.
Old 04-20-17, 07:53 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakyak View Post
My ACT score was 71. I stil receive 10k a year in scholarship funds.
Doh! You were THIS close to making your folks proud. Mine was 72 spread over four attempts. It works like golf, right?
Old 04-20-17, 08:22 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkolonaBlues View Post
My info came from my own personal experience and decision I had to make 30 years ago. They could have changes the rule, but you are going to have to give me a better example than Joe. Yes, he was a preferred walk on, but he was awarded an athletic scholarship while at OSU. Why would OSU waste a scholarship on him, if the did not have to...because he was on a academic scholarship according to your knowledge. Doesn't add up on my end.
The Joe example is perfectly good. Do you know when he finally received an athletic scholarship? I do. As a fifth year senior when there was one available after attrition. But he played plenty prior to that. And I worked in college athletics for 8 years, I know how it works with walk ons.

And I know a 32 on the ACT is around the 50th percentile for incoming frosh for most of the Ivy league schools. I also know that at OSU it is tougher to get money. Probably for a number of factors. I have another friend whose son also got a 32 and he got similar money at UC and not much at OSU. I also know the Lindner program bases it on more than ACT and gpa. Sam was one of 25 kids who got the full tuition. I'm sure his extra curriculars helped, as did his interview. Regardless if he plays a ton or not if he is on the team for four years and does well in the business school he will have a ton of opportunities. He may even want to be a college coach. But I know his goals are to excel in the classroom and to bust his hump on the court. He is going to take a class in the summer so he can do the offseason stuff with the team.
Old 04-20-17, 08:54 PM
All American

Quote:
The Joe example is perfectly good. Do you know when he finally received an athletic scholarship? I do. As a fifth year senior when there was one available after attrition. But he played plenty prior to that. And I worked in college athletics for 8 years, I know how it works with walk ons.

And I know a 32 on the ACT is around the 50th percentile for incoming frosh for most of the Ivy league schools. I also know that at OSU it is tougher to get money. Probably for a number of factors. I have another friend whose son also got a 32 and he got similar money at UC and not much at OSU. I also know the Lindner program bases it on more than ACT and gpa. Sam was one of 25 kids who got the full tuition. I'm sure his extra curriculars helped, as did his interview. Regardless if he plays a ton or not if he is on the team for four years and does well in the business school he will have a ton of opportunities. He may even want to be a college coach. But I know his goals are to excel in the classroom and to bust his hump on the court. He is going to take a class in the summer so he can do the offseason stuff with the team.
That was a very reasonable post and we certainly wish him the best in all he does- maybe this can be ended on this note....?
Old 04-20-17, 09:17 PM
Junior Varsity

tune89 is on a distinguished road
Congrats to Sam and family. He was fun to watch. And a 32 is dam good!
Old 04-21-17, 01:40 PM
All American

D4fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
"just a 32" Okay, once everyone is done laughing at that bit of inane..

You have that in writing somewhere? A 34 will get you a full ride plus. Your numbers seem low to me for a 32. What I found was 32, merit alone not counting other sources, could get $5000 (Maximus) accumulated up to $20,000. ACT is only one means to qualify. Class Rank could also do it.
The Maximus is a competitive scholarship and is not awarded simply upon achievement to a given level. A 34 at OSU will not likely get you a full ride. I know of one individual graduating this year who got zip for the numbers I mentioned, and another who got $2,500 with better numbers and was a national merit comended scholar. Part of the problem at OSU is a 31 is average for incoming freshman engineering majors so a 32 is just a bit above average.
Old 04-21-17, 02:43 PM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
Times have changed....I remember when OSU was the school you applied to to make sure you got in someplace or your first choice didn't pan out (if OSU wasn't your first choice anyway). Sounds like its much more competitive now.

I see OSU is about $22K all-in. Is that right? With minimal scholarships given out based on D4's comments and what I saw online.

It's interesting to note that some of the private schools out there, while the list price is much higher, give more money in scholarships for the range of test scores being thrown around here that at the end of the day will cost you about the same as OSU. Actually some of these test scores and GPA's can get you consideration for a full-ride.

Just something to think about as people start looking around at schools.
Old 04-21-17, 08:08 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
Times have changed....I remember when OSU was the school you applied to to make sure you got in someplace or your first choice didn't pan out (if OSU wasn't your first choice anyway). Sounds like its much more competitive now.

I see OSU is about $22K all-in. Is that right? With minimal scholarships given out based on D4's comments and what I saw online.

It's interesting to note that some of the private schools out there, while the list price is much higher, give more money in scholarships for the range of test scores being thrown around here that at the end of the day will cost you about the same as OSU. Actually some of these test scores and GPA's can get you consideration for a full-ride.

Just something to think about as people start looking around at schools.
Correct about OSU- better off being from out of state too- lower test scores to get a higher percentage of tuition covered. It's still a very good deal for an excellent school for those with the resume to get in. it is a very competitive environment out there for scholarships and admission- need to plan early! That's why while someone scoffed at the "only a 32"- I actually agreed with the description, those are a dime a dozen anymore.
Old 04-22-17, 07:42 AM
All Yappi

Unfortunately what has become a "dime a dozen" are the number that can't do basic Math or who see an anecdote and presume a generality.

A "32" puts a student into the 98th percentile of those taking the test. Yes okay, a much deeper population takes the ACT than in the days where the only one's taking it were generally college bound so how does it rate at Ohio St.? A 32 would put you in to the top 25% of admitted students.

OSU: with the effort, you can go where you want to from there, same as you can from UC. For the most part, the same companies and connections recruit their graduates. Ohio is fortunate that despite the money grab done by Columbus, OSU did use it to take a bloated, over populated college and move it up the rankings comparable to state colleges in neighboring states. It hardly has that "old school elite" reputation being relatively new to the game and its move came at the expense of the Municipal Universities, with the exception of Cinci, which had the population and relations with large corporate tech to survive and build but at least it now has opportunity to make that name.

The academic game can be very analogous to choosing a college for reasons of sports. A "32" may get more opportunities at an OSU or a Cinci than they would bring being low man at Yale. Not every player benefits from the connections an Ivy CAN provide, whereas a student may have more opportunities and be more competitive for attention at a lower ranking school that makes opportunities available to under-grads.

The kid is going to have every opportunity and maybe more, at Cinci, than he would have a lot of places including Ohio St. A kid can have more opportunities at an Akron than at an OSU. If a kid has a life-plan, as opposed to just looking for a major or a place to spend four years, their school research job is a bit more challanging if the rewards are to be found.
Old 04-22-17, 02:08 PM
All American

Like I said- Aim right, find a school that can benefit you and your goals the most. OHio State has around 15,000 kids who had a 32 or better on the ACT- that's a lot of kids just at one school who hit that number. That is crazy to think about compared to 20 years ago, but the test prep courses are raking it in.
Old 04-22-17, 04:28 PM
All Yappi

15,000 is not a "lot" when you have 60,000 students. 50,000-60,000 is the number that boggles, which they had 20, 30, 40 years ago. It's the % which is new(ish). The % is not historically atypical for a B10 school. Ohio St is just using all that state money to catch up to where the other schools have been for many decades.

Last edited by eastisbest; 04-22-17 at 04:56 PM.
Old 04-23-17, 03:27 PM
All District

RUTrippin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHShoops View Post
Good for him. Probably a bit small to ever really challenge for PT, but he will compete every day in practice
Good thing another undersized white point guard and preferred walk-on from the gcl south and im sure a jwuerth favorite 😉 by the name of alex barlow didn't have your mindset. Pretty sure he did some pretty amazing things at butler. That's the Butler that UC just can't seem to beat. Just sayn. Lol