Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-16-17, 09:29 AM
All American

Carl Rick is on a distinguished road
Kevin Mackey
Old 05-16-17, 09:42 AM
All Ohio

ora et labora is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Rick View Post
Kevin Mackey
In human years he's what, 70; in cokekhead years he's a good 85.
Old 05-16-17, 11:03 AM
All American

Carl Rick is on a distinguished road
Rollie Massimino
Old 05-17-17, 07:18 AM
Freshman

MustangMom is on a distinguished road
I have been reading these since the rumors started of who is being hired and I find it disgraceful that someone who supports our program would be saying negative things about a new coach who hasn't even been here for a day yet. My son plays one sport and that's basketball. When we heard the name and found some of the things he has done in coaching, we were all very excited someone like that would want to come to Strongsville. It has been a long time since basketball was good here and we have a chance to bring someone here who knows how to help us become good, and yet there is someone on here with some inside information saying it's ugly and embarrassing. Well that's ugly and embarrassing. If you have some qualifications to better coach my son and our team, step forward and apply for the job. If you don't, step aside and reserve your ugly opinions for a time when at least the new coach has given you something to judge because I know the boys my son speaks to hopes they hire him today so they can start getting ready for next season like all the other schools we play.
Old 05-17-17, 11:16 AM
Varsity

NotCharlesBarkley is on a distinguished road
This new guy can't be any worse than DC, lol.
Old 05-17-17, 11:18 AM
All Ohio

ora et labora is on a distinguished road
Name?
Old 05-17-17, 11:35 AM
All American

mustang fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotCharlesBarkley View Post
This new guy can't be any worse than DC, lol.
Personally, I'm not blaming Collins for the demise of the program...which is pretty much on par with everything else that is occurring around the school district. About a dozen years ago he (Collins) coached the JV team to an undefeated regular season before his moving on. I don't believe that standard has been matched prior, or since, by any boys basketball team (be it freshman, JV and/or varsity) here.
Old 05-17-17, 11:52 AM
Varsity

I meant record-wise. DC is a great guy. His three selfish juniors were the coach killers. Ask any coach in the conference, they never ran anything and he never made them. If he were more of a hard-driving dick of a coach, he'd still be there. The scouting report was simple, double the post, never a kick out pass for an open 3 or open cutter. Let the point drive to the basket, then show help but he'll shoot it over 2 anyways. And finally, there is plenty of video out there with the new kid shooting (and missing) over 3 guys with other standing around wide open and watching.

Best of luck to the new guy. He will inherit talent but will be challenged to get them to win together.
Old 05-17-17, 11:56 AM
All American

Quote:
...If he were more of a hard-driving dick of a coach, he'd still be there...
Personally, I think he (Collins) is better off out of there and not looking back.
Old 05-17-17, 11:58 AM
Freshman

I'm not going to be the one to name the coach on here. I just think being disrespectful to someone before he even begins working is really bad. My son needs a coach. These boys all need a coach. The only thing sad and ridiculous about all this is that the kids are suffering.
Old 05-17-17, 05:28 PM
Freshman

svilleresident92 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang fan View Post
Personally, I think he (Collins) is better off out of there and not looking back.
Most of those parents that had kids play for him weren't super big fans, mostly because there was not much winning, but he did not inspire the deep hatred that some parents these days have for their coaches. There was no movement to get him fired. When the news came out, it was mostly, oh well.

But the way he was dismissed was pretty bad. If they were going to wait until almost June to hire a replacement, they might have just waited the few weeks and let him finish the Winter sports awards, the final team event.

Best of luck to Darren and also the new coach.
Old 05-17-17, 06:57 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by svilleresident92 View Post
...But the way he was dismissed was pretty bad...
I'm not at all surprised at Strongsville's handling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by svilleresident92 View Post
...If they were going to wait until almost June to hire a replacement, they might have just waited the few weeks and let him finish the Winter sports awards, the final team event...
Pure speculation on my part, but, I'm guessing that the district figured it would have a bunch of quality candidates vying for this job...Also speculation on my part, Administration/Board completely missed the mark regarding this.
Old 05-21-17, 08:38 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ora et labora View Post
Name?
Joe Guilfoyle
Old 05-21-17, 10:39 PM
All American

Myron is on a distinguished road
Crickets chirping
Old 05-22-17, 08:10 AM
Freshman

We are hoping for the best on this hire, but this is not the person who was rumored to have this job last week. I have always given the coaches the benefit of the doubt, so I will continue to do so now. I just don't understand what happened here. It seems like everyone here is on a different page so they just settled on someone. It's not really fair to anyone, including the new coach.
Old 05-22-17, 08:35 AM
All American

Now that the hiring of Guilfoyle appears to be a "done deal" (listed on the school board's meeting agenda for tomorrow night), the discussion surrounding who the other rumored candidate(s) were still remains "top secret" here because...
Old 05-22-17, 08:53 AM
Freshman

The word I received is our BOE President single handedly blocked the coach everyone here wanted to hire. And that is from a very good source. I have nothing but high hopes for the new coach and our upcoming season but this has not been a very smooth process for the district.
Old 05-22-17, 11:43 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangMom View Post
The word I received is our BOE President single handedly blocked the coach everyone here wanted to hire. And that is from a very good source. I have nothing but high hopes for the new coach and our upcoming season but this has not been a very smooth process for the district.
Guilfoyle is supposedly bringing his assistant coaches including JV coach too.

Isn't Guilfoyle in his mid 60's? Why this guy? Was Mark Weidus unavailable to leave the donut shop?
Old 05-22-17, 12:46 PM
All American

Quote:
...Isn't Guilfoyle in his mid 60's?...
62 or 63 I think.
Quote:
...Was Mark Weidus unavailable to leave the donut shop?
Weidus...Wasn't he on football coach Laird's staff the year after Jacques was ran off?
Old 05-22-17, 01:18 PM
Varsity

Quote:
62 or 63 I think.

Weidus...Wasn't he on football coach Laird's staff the year after Jacques was ran off?
Yup, Laird's WR coach who the receivers will tell you knew nothing about catching a football.

And a FANTASTIC and BELOVED JV basketball coach who played mostly juniors who either quit or never even went out for Varsity their senior year and still lost most of his JV games at the expense of the development of the sophomores.
Old 05-23-17, 05:19 AM
Freshman

VilleBooster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'm not going to be the one to name the coach on here. I just think being disrespectful to someone before he even begins working is really bad. My son needs a coach. These boys all need a coach. The only thing sad and ridiculous about all this is that the kids are suffering.
I've said all along that "the kids deserve better" and this hire IS ridiculous, especially because the school board president overruled the administration. They had Sean O'Toole interested and ready to take the job and the school board president preferred and forced a 63 year old coach who has been retired for six years into the position. This will be a disaster. Collins gets the last laugh.

That is no disrespect, but when you're talking about sapara and o'toole and end up with this guy, after two and a half months of 'searching'!?!? Guilfoyle has been retired, no other school was looking for him, you could've had him after day one of the job being posted. Something doesn't add up
Old 05-23-17, 08:01 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleBooster View Post
I've said all along that 'the kids deserve better' and this hire IS ridiculous, especially because the school board president overruled the administration...
Board President Naso has enough clout to overrule all others?! Sounds pretty messed up...But, then again, this is Strongsville we are talking about.

Quote:
...They had Sean O'Toole interested and ready to take the job and the school board president preferred and forced a 63 year old coach who has been retired for six years into the position. This will be a disaster...
Regarding the possibility of O'Toole taking over the basketball program...This is a bit of a head scratch for me given what has been posted previously on this thread...For example, Not Barkley in his initial post mentions the possibility of O'Toole...Subsequently, Bluengold talks about O'Toole's ties to Gilmour, which would appear to leave O'Toole out of the discussion here...You then (post #11) subsequently downplay the talk of O'Toole (and others) ever consider taking the coaching position...But now, you indicate that O'Toole was "interested and ready to take the job"?!

Quote:
...Collins gets the last laugh...
I reiterate...Collins should be glad to leave this mess of a program/district/administration and board behind him.

Quote:
...That is no disrespect, but when you're talking about sapara and o'toole and end up with this guy, after two and a half months of 'searching'!?!? Guilfoyle has been retired, no other school was looking for him, you could've had him after day one of the job being posted. Something doesn't add up
Seems logical if what you say is true, but, then again, this is Strongsville Administration/Board that we are talking about here...which leaves logic pretty much out of the discussion.
Old 05-23-17, 08:30 AM
Freshman

The coach's name the boys were talking about and the one I heard was not O'toole. It was a coach who was coming from out of state. He had just made a final 4 in his state and coached a number of really good players. The boys my son talks to were looking forward to meeting him and all of a sudden they switched because the board President absolutely refused to support the man. It was very disappointing . Please understand that I'm not bad mouthing the new coach. Not at all. He may end up being great. We all hope he is. He is just not the coach we expected and it looks like he hasn't been the head coach in a really long time. It is just very odd and awkward the way it ended up being.
Old 05-23-17, 08:48 AM
All American

Well MustangMom, regardless as to Board President Naso's possible involvement in all of this, according to the Board's meeting agenda for tonight, it appears that Guilfoyle's hiring has the recommendation of the Supt.

Also, since this hiring appears to be a done deal, I still do not understand the "top secrecy" as to who else may have been considered and to what extent...And the failure here as to accurate reporting as to how the district arrived at the hire that it did.
Old 05-23-17, 09:27 AM
Varsity

I'm guessing that this new coach is someone's trusted backup as a stopgap measure until they find their long-term guy since I doubt the current hire is planning to stick around 5-10 years to build a program from 1st grade up.
Old 05-23-17, 09:27 AM
Freshman

I don't think it's top secret at all. I just don't think it's my job to throw names out thst don't matter. It doesn't really matter who it was. It does matter to me thst there was someone else that those in charge REALLY wanted and we didn't get him because one person fought it for his own personal reasons, whatever they may be. As a parent and a taxpayer here, it concerns me that one person blocked what everyone else thought would have been best for my son and this district. It is nothing against the new coach. We will support him and pull for him. And I'm not trying to argue. I just think that the way this unfolded stinks. This district needs to be better than this.
Old 05-23-17, 10:13 AM
All American

Quote:
...As a parent and a taxpayer here, it concerns me that one person blocked what everyone else thought would have been best for my son and this district...
You may not like this type of process, but, if you haven't already, you'll get used to it...
Old 05-23-17, 11:02 AM
Freshman

Lol! I'm not really trying to get used to it. But I guess I will have to live with it cuz my kid isn't going anyehere. Funny thing is, this district wonders why it loses so many athletes to the private schools in this area. I hear that complaint all the time. Well, I don't profess to know everything about sports, but it would make sense to believe that this kind of thing contributes to that problem. I bet St. Ed and Ignatius and any other private schools have the exact coach they want leading their programs. I mean, I bet they hired the guy the administration chose.
Old 05-23-17, 01:55 PM
All Ohio

Look Ma No Hands is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Well MustangMom, regardless as to Board President Naso's possible involvement in all of this, according to the Board's meeting agenda for tonight, it appears that Guilfoyle's hiring has the recommendation of the Supt..
Do you really think that means that the super didn't recommend someone else first and get denied?

Let's be clear.

1)A superintendent doesn't take any new hire to the board without knowing in advance that the person will get voted in first. The super makes sure in advance that the new hire will have enough votes, if not even a unanimous vote.

2) If the super unofficially took a name to the board before a board meeting and then found this name wouldn't have the support of the board... then the super goes and finds another name. No matter how many names the super takes to the board before a vote happens, the one name the super ends up having enough board votes for, will have his name taken to the board by the super and with the support of the super... no matter how many times other names got rejected.

3) Even if a board is not unanimous on a hire, if the candidate has enough board votes for approval, then the board typically will vote for the candidate unanimously. This gives the appearance of complete support by the board. It is very unusual to see split board votes because those differences are hashed out ahead of time.
Old 05-23-17, 02:00 PM
Varsity

MustangMom,

Don't know who your super-secret, highly qualified, ultimate coach was, but had they gotten Sean O'toole, they would have had the right guy to keep the kids in the school system.