Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-24-17, 03:06 PM
All American

Myron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan87 View Post
Waiting to see if in the two largest revenue sports, and the 11 titles, how many go to private schools? Football was 6 of 7....Sooner or later I feel separation is coming. Competitive balance is a sham..It will change nothing. As far as DSJ, yeah they did over achieve and this wasn't one of their strongest teams but those kids got to state. Don't disrespect what they did.
Check out boys and girls soccer the past few years, and the girls state bball tournament was a similar sham.

OHSAA lost control of all this a long time ago, and it's just become exacerbated every year
Old 03-24-17, 03:29 PM
Varsity

CCA Fan is on a distinguished road
Don't lump CCA in with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron View Post
This is a big part of the attendance issue at the State tournament.

Schools like LE, Wellington, Cornerstone, et al; transfers, recruiting, open enrollment, et al, are making a mockery out of high school sports.
Myron,

Maybe you just don't know what you are saying. Tell me a player on CCA's last year state championship team that wasn't on the team the prior season?

CCA's best two players, Bothwell and McQueen went to CCA in elementary school.
Old 03-24-17, 03:35 PM
All Yappi

CatAlum is on a distinguished road
Does anyone know where LE's transfers came from?
Old 03-24-17, 03:37 PM
All American

Tate was at Westlake the last two years, and reportedly still lives there
Old 03-24-17, 03:38 PM
All American

FootsWalker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Check out boys and girls soccer the past few years, and the girls state bball tournament was a similar sham.

OHSAA lost control of all this a long time ago, and it's just become exacerbated every year
FWIW, just looked at football, boys soccer, girls soccer, volleyball, girls basketball for 2016-17 and it added up to Privates over Publics 16-5 if I did my math right. Seems a lot more one-sided than it even normally is.
Old 03-24-17, 03:41 PM
All American

12-1 in just football and the two soccers. So I'll take your word and assume the girls volleyball/basketball is 4-4 this year, which isn't too out of the norm.
Old 03-24-17, 03:44 PM
All American

Quote:
12-1 in just football and the two soccers. So I'll take your word and assume the girls volleyball/basketball is 4-4 this year, which isn't too out of the norm.
Ya I think girls hoop was 3-1 private & VB was 3-1 public.
Old 03-24-17, 06:35 PM
All Ohio

Blue Jay Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatAlum View Post
Does anyone know where LE's transfers came from?
Jordan Burge Shaker Heights
Maurico Tate Westlake
Justin Motley Glenville
Travis Sanders and Tyler Powell transferred in last year. Don't know where they came from.

http://highschoolsports.cleveland.co...-semifinalist/

http://www.ohsaa.org/Sports-Tourname...nament-Preview
Old 03-26-17, 01:42 PM
Varsity

sportsauthority101 is an unknown quantity at this point
All you public school people need to quit your whining. 1st of all, DSJ wasn't deserving of a State Title...they were LOST against dribbling vs. LE pressure. They're spacing was atrocious in the backcourt and it showed they hadn't played versus State Title type speed - they didn't know what to do with it.

Everyone has choices in life. If ppl want to move, they can move. Garfield, Shaker, Huber Hts. - they have more transfers than anyone. Jackson & Mentor always say proud of homegrown...they're also are very fortunate to have wealthy communities with huge enrollments. How many ppl move to Mentor or Jackson when their kids are young for sports reasons? When you have pool of 2500-4000 kids, you should be able to beat private schools.

Jackson coach is a knucklehead to talk "homegrown" in post game interview. He just got 3-4 calls that gave him the game and he gloats about being homegrown? He also got all the breaks versus Eds with the Officials. Possible Ref Agenda? He better enjoy this one - not every year do you have 5 kids like that in one town!

Wealthy communities with quality living have their own unfair advantages where ppl choose to live and play for FREE....and Mentor/Jackson enrollment size prooves it. Catholic school parents pay $2500+ year for grade schools and $8-$15K for HS. Kids that attend the private schools don't live in great school districts with great sports programs. You fools condemn ppl who want to be part of great programs AND who pay for and experience what you do for free?

Start your Public only tournament and the Private will have theirs. Guarantee you which one the fans will watch!

Last edited by sportsauthority101; 03-26-17 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Edit
Old 03-26-17, 02:22 PM
Junior Varsity

jlghoops is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsauthority101 View Post
All you public school people need to quit your whining. 1st of all, DSJ wasn't deserving of a State Title...they were LOST against dribbling vs. LE pressure. They're spacing was atrocious in the backcourt and it showed they hadn't played versus State Title type speed - they didn't know what to do with it.

Jackson coach is a knucklehead to talk "homegrown" in post game interview. He just got 3-4 calls that gave him the game and he gloats about being homegrown? He also got all the breaks versus Eds with the Officials. Possible Ref Agenda? He better enjoy this one - not every year do you have 5 kids like that in one town!

Wealthy communities with quality living have their own unfair advantages where ppl choose to live and play for FREE....and Mentor/Jackson enrollment size prooves it. Catholic school parents pay $2500+ year for grade schools and $8-$15K for HS. Kids that attend the private schools don't live in great school districts with great sports programs. You fools condemn ppl who want to be part of great programs AND who pay for and experience what you do for free?

Start your Public only tournament and the Private will have theirs. Guarantee you which one the fans will watch!
Agreed that DSJ was not worthy.

Officials were not biased in D1. Jackson won fair and square. When the privates lose one, admit you lost, don't make excuses.

Do you want everyone on here to believe every transfer basketball player is paying 8-15K per year to better themselves? Dude, we are smarter than that. Most of them are on scholarship and pay little to nothing to go to their schools. Notice I did not say all of them. there are kids paying their way and playing tons for state tourney teams, but don't act like it costs most of them anything. That said, anytime your athletic ability can get you free education, take it! I have no problem with that portion, I have a problem with people pretending it doesn't happen.
Old 03-26-17, 02:31 PM
All World

kingpin2010 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The public one? Public schools almost always, especially in the lower divisions, bring much much larger crowds than private schools (though there are exceptions to this rule). The private tournament may have the better talent and teams, but that isn't drawing huge crowds. The vast majority of fans go to see their school (whether alma-mater or community they live) and not talent level (barring someone like Lebron).
Old 03-26-17, 03:42 PM
All American

Quote:
I'm sure Jackson and their coach will enjoy this one as much as the one they won just a few years ago.

Officiating (and coaching): the most simplistic, "knucklehead," broad-stroke rationalization for any loss.
Old 03-26-17, 04:08 PM
Varsity

Interest from Statewide fans not associated with a town would hands down watch more Private. Lets not pretend either then that public schools either don't recruit or have ppl move into their towns for sports. If a talent like Young lived in Perry who was last in Fed, would they move into Jackson? If Trubiskey played FB for Willoughby as a 6th grader, would he have moved to Mentor?

By the way, it's definitely zero $$ to play for EVERY athlete that goes public. Why should a kid who's family can't afford to live in Jackson or Mentor and go to a great school for FREE, not be able to attend a great private school for anything over a $1?

No ones making excuses, its a reality. Moeller was called for a 4th qtr pushoff that wasn't close and then called for a highly debatable block in which Young wasn't tripped but merely fell down. There wasn't contact that caused him to fall.
Old 03-26-17, 04:15 PM
Varsity

Mentor FB and Jackson basketball talk honegrown stuff every year. Those coaches are fortunate to be 2 of the State's top public facilities with the largest enrollment in Ohio. Yeah no kidding those kids stay and play for free! So if an inner city kid whose parents make little money and can't afford to buy a $200K-$300K house and go to a great school system and program for free, shouldn't be given the same opportunity by a great private school? This is massively hypocritical!!
Old 03-26-17, 04:19 PM
Varsity

Let's start seeing a log of every public school starter and; when they moved into the community, where they came from, do they buy or rent, where were they born? Lol
Old 03-26-17, 04:21 PM
Junior Varsity

jlghoops is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Interest from Statewide fans not associated with a town would hands down watch more Private. Lets not pretend either then that public schools either don't recruit or have ppl move into their towns for sports. If a talent like Young lived in Perry who was last in Fed, would they move into Jackson? If Trubiskey played FB for Willoughby as a 6th grader, would he have moved to Mentor?

By the way, it's definitely zero $$ to play for EVERY athlete that goes public. Why should a kid who's family can't afford to live in Jackson or Mentor and go to a great school for FREE, not be able to attend a great private school for anything over a $1?

No ones making excuses, its a reality. Moeller was called for a 4th qtr pushoff that wasn't close and then called for a highly debatable block in which Young wasn't tripped but merely fell down. There wasn't contact that caused him to fall.
Slow down there Cowboy! I didn't mention 8-15K per year, you did. I just clarified they don't all pay that which you are admitting is true. Seems to me you have a bigger problem with people that make 200K plus a year and have kids at great public schools like Jackson.

I have no skin in the Moeller/Jackson game, I am a basketball fan. That game was well officiated and Jackson won. They play 10 times I bet it finishes 5-5 or 6-4. Last night, Jackson won, that is why we play the tourney. Why do we have to blame someone for a loss?
Old 03-26-17, 04:24 PM
All World

Flood is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsfan247 View Post
To me, I am a traditionalist. I like teams that grow up together, I like teams that work together, I don't like the AAU teams that are being created.
That's why the Jackson story is so rare and amazing. All grew up in the same public school district. Very, very rare, but still can be done.
Old 03-26-17, 04:57 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlghoops View Post
Slow down there Cowboy! I didn't mention 8-15K per year, you did. I just clarified they don't all pay that which you are admitting is true. Seems to me you have a bigger problem with people that make 200K plus a year and have kids at great public schools like Jackson.

I have no skin in the Moeller/Jackson game, I am a basketball fan. That game was well officiated and Jackson won. They play 10 times I bet it finishes 5-5 or 6-4. Last night, Jackson won, that is why we play the tourney. Why do we have to blame someone for a loss?
You know what you meant on the Tuition Wise Guy! Good for you that your a basketball fan (not a basketball expert) but give up being an income prognosticator - as I can buy a house in either of those towns, and jealousy of ppl who live in Gates Mills or Bratenhaul On The Lake is not my thing but rather compassion for those with less.

Where'd you randomly come up with $200K per year? Sorry but that's not a lot of money in my opinion nor an amount I'd be jealous of. Fyi "Cowgirl"!

Last edited by sportsauthority101; 03-26-17 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Edit
Old 03-26-17, 07:28 PM
All American

^^^Brian1227 candidate of the month here^^^
Old 03-26-17, 07:43 PM
All Ohio

Blue Jay Fan is on a distinguished road
Just wondering if Lutheran East will have five new players on the team next year.
Old 03-26-17, 07:50 PM
Varsity

tndog is on a distinguished road
5 may be the over/under
Old 03-26-17, 08:38 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by tndog View Post
5 may be the over/under
I'll take the over.......
Old 03-26-17, 09:18 PM
All District

IVCguy is on a distinguished road
I'm just tired of this whole conversation every year. We need to either accept this as it is - an imperfect, unfair system in an imperfect, unfair world. OR we identify teams in lower divisions based on enrollment and develop a mechanism to move them up based on talent acquired. As it is, this is a farce, but whining clearly doesn't change anything.
Old 03-26-17, 09:22 PM
All American

Bo Kimble is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin2010 View Post
The public one? Public schools almost always, especially in the lower divisions, bring much much larger crowds than private schools (though there are exceptions to this rule). The private tournament may have the better talent and teams, but that isn't drawing huge crowds. The vast majority of fans go to see their school (whether alma-mater or community they live) and not talent level (barring someone like Lebron).
Being that many many more schools won't be playing for a title, any non-attached fan would most likely go to the private if they are allowed and just about encouraged to accumulate talent, the private will be better and more heavily attended.
Old 03-26-17, 09:37 PM
All World

kingpin2010 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Kimble View Post
Being that many many more schools won't be playing for a title, any non-attached fan would most likely go to the private if they are allowed and just about encouraged to accumulate talent, the private will be better and more heavily attended.
Unless there is some kind of special talent on the private schools, it's not significant. It's way overstated how many "statewide" basketball fans there are. The vast majority of fans at a game are there supporting one school or the other and simply don't care to attend games not of their own school. Following and caring about high school basketball outside of your own school/town/community is extremely niche and isn't bringing many fans.
Old 03-26-17, 10:32 PM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin2010 View Post
Unless there's a once in a generation player, the bolded is definitely true. Rural and small town teams bring vastly larger followings than small private schools. Attendance is by and large driven by the strength of community connection. There aren't that many casual fans attending the games.
Old 03-27-17, 06:56 AM
All American

Irish60 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
^^^Brian1227 candidate of the month here^^^
You know, that would be a great thread! Every month we could vote on who the most obnoxious Yappi poster is! (For even suggesting this idea, I would likely win the first month!)
Old 03-27-17, 06:57 AM
All American

El Indio is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Everyone has choices in life. If ppl want to move, they can move. Garfield, Shaker, Huber Hts. - they have more transfers than anyone. Jackson & Mentor always say proud of homegrown...they're also are very fortunate to have wealthy communities with huge enrollments. How many ppl move to Mentor or Jackson when their kids are young for sports reasons? When you have pool of 2500-4000 kids, you should be able to beat private schools.

If you think they pay, I have some swamp land in Florida I can sell you. Really! You are that dumb? I speak of experience. My niece not only had her tuition paid by a donor, her little brother's tuition was also paid by a donor and he didn't play no sports. Now that's how you get talent to come to your school!

Last edited by El Indio; 03-27-17 at 07:08 AM.
Old 03-27-17, 08:28 AM
All Ohio

Tesoro is on a distinguished road
Once again..private schools make a joke out of the OHSAA Boys Basketball tournament.

OHSAA paid the price..what did they bring..40 fans?
Old 03-27-17, 08:29 AM
All Ohio

Tesoro is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwwarrior09 View Post
unless there's a once in a generation player, the bolded is definitely true. Rural and small town teams bring vastly larger followings than small private schools. Attendance is by and large driven by the strength of community connection. There aren't that many casual fans attending the games.
exactly!