Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-10-17, 02:45 PM
All Region

Dr. Pepper is on a distinguished road
Torrey Patton - Trotwood Madison

I have enjoyed watching this young man play the last few years. I haven't heard much news of who is actively recruiting him. Trotwood posters: fill me in. What schools are interested and who is Torrey interested in?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-17, 06:05 PM
Freshman

kamw6237 is on a distinguished road
Torrey Patton

The only offer Torrey has received is from West Virginia State University, which is a Division 2 College.
Old 03-10-17, 09:56 PM
Varsity

basketballdayton is on a distinguished road
Ohio State.....? Come On Man..........

If WVSU is the only offer is it possible Torrey may have to go to a junior college?
Old 03-11-17, 10:58 AM
All World

UcantCatchMe is on a distinguished road
The first question for any college caliber player is, How are the grades?
Old 03-11-17, 10:59 AM
All World

UcantCatchMe is on a distinguished road
Well nevermind, if he can qualify for a D-2 scholly than he can qualify for a D-1.
Old 03-11-17, 11:09 AM
Varsity

KneeJerk96 is on a distinguished road
He is a solid player I can't see why he couldn't compete on the MAC or any mid major level
Old 03-11-17, 11:22 AM
All Region

buckeye1689 is on a distinguished road
True haha valid point of course. I definintly jumped the gun, I assumed he had at least MAC school offers...my bad. But I do think he is very good and should get D1 looks

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketballdayton View Post
Ohio State.....? Come On Man..........

If WVSU is the only offer is it possible Torrey may have to go to a junior college?
Old 03-11-17, 01:28 PM
All American

America is an unknown quantity at this point
grades, GPA, and ACT.... Trotwood is one of the worst school districts in Ohio so some coaches could be worried about his academic performance. I'm disappointed in Wright State because if they want better attendance, they should be offering kids like Keegan Saben, Patton, and Dominic Laravie to boost their roster and create a pipeline of Dayton area players because most of their players are out of state and aren't that great
Old 03-11-17, 01:55 PM
All Ohio

member1 is on a distinguished road
Patton's recruiment has nothing to do with some stupid rating the inept Ohio Department of Education creates for schools that is unequeal and unfair in nature. But that stereotypical statement you have made has not kept other BCS schools from coming into that school for football players that have qualified for universities all across this country. Anyway...

My understanding is the issue is what position he plays in college and some questionable decisions that he or his handlers made during summer play.
Old 03-11-17, 02:35 PM
All Yappi

catscatscats is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by America View Post
grades, GPA, and ACT.... Trotwood is one of the worst school districts in Ohio so some coaches could be worried about his academic performance. I'm disappointed in Wright State because if they want better attendance, they should be offering kids like Keegan Saben, Patton, and Dominic Laravie to boost their roster and create a pipeline of Dayton area players because most of their players are out of state and aren't that great
You do know Trotwood sends tons of kid d1 in football right
Old 03-12-17, 12:24 PM
All American

America is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by catscatscats View Post
You do know Trotwood sends tons of kid d1 in football right
I am quite familiar that they send kids DI all the time. If you could provide a list of the most recent ones going/have gone places and where they are now, that would be great. I just don't see kids going to places that are well known for academics as well such as ND, Northwestern, Duke, UNC etc. It's not science to figure out that better grades lead to better recruiting... Mark Porter gives great seminars on that kind of stuff.
Old 03-12-17, 02:51 PM
All American

bigv is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I am quite familiar that they send kids DI all the time. If you could provide a list of the most recent ones going/have gone places and where they are now, that would be great. I just don't see kids going to places that are well known for academics as well such as ND, Northwestern, Duke, UNC etc. It's not science to figure out that better grades lead to better recruiting... Mark Porter gives great seminars on that kind of stuff.
If you're a football kid why would you go to Duke when you can go to Ohio State?
Old 03-12-17, 04:25 PM
Varsity

basketballdayton is on a distinguished road
We have progress at least we have dropped Ohio State conversation........

Just because WVSU offered does not mean he has the grades to go NCAA D2. Schools do offer and then monitor the process of a SA.....

This is a grade thing or he does not have a true position at D1 level.....

Of course he has had a great year and that is great for a Torrey!
Old 03-12-17, 06:25 PM
All Ohio

Wink

Quote:
Your comments are getting more outlandish as you post. The caliber of athlete that Trotwood has that are recruitable by those schools choose other places like Ohio State and Michigan. George Bradley whom just graduated from Pitt had an offer from Standford, he chose Pitt so his mom can see him play. So again the end all tell all is whether they qualify and they do. Check Lehigh Universitys 's academic requirements and then go to the football page and look up Marc- Raye Redmon. Oh yeah he turned down Harvard snd the Airforce Academy. Do your research and do not fall into stereotypical assumptions. Patton's issues are not academic.
Old 03-13-17, 08:20 AM
All Region

Perk Diggler is on a distinguished road
My assessment is he's a tweener. He's not athletic enough to guard D1 SGs and can't handle it well enough to run a team and play PG.
Old 03-13-17, 11:08 PM
Freshman

news4OH is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perk Diggler View Post
My assessment is he's a tweener. He's not athletic enough to guard D1 SGs and can't handle it well enough to run a team and play PG.
Torrey will be fine. I am pretty sure more offers will come his way, especially if their team make it to state.
Old 03-14-17, 06:11 AM
All World

sportsprophet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perk Diggler View Post
^^^^^^ This is the knock on Torrey, this is what the recruiters say anyway. Its not his grades. He definately a D1 player though, Wright State is dropping the ball, he could be a steal for them.
Old 03-14-17, 06:34 AM
All World

Quote:
These are just some of the kids i remember were known for being smart kids, im sure theres MORE!

Cam Burrows....http://www.espn.com/college-sports/f...62/cam-burrows

Bam Bradley offer list..http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Bam...cruitInterests

Reon Dawson...http://www.espn.com/college-sports/f...44/reon-dawson

Marc Raye-Redmond....http://www.espn.com/college-sports/f...c-raye-redmond
Old 03-14-17, 07:52 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsprophet View Post
These are just some of the kids i remember were known for being smart kids, im sure theres MORE!

Cam Burrows....http://www.espn.com/college-sports/f...62/cam-burrows

Bam Bradley offer list..http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Bam...cruitInterests

Reon Dawson...http://www.espn.com/college-sports/f...44/reon-dawson

Marc Raye-Redmond....http://www.espn.com/college-sports/f...c-raye-redmond
Great post. I also remember Raye-Redman being recruited by at least two of the three service academies. Bradley and Burrows both had Stanford. The problem with the post is that it is just a microcosm of what some believe in our society as a whole.. Just because a school district in a urban area is "struggling" according to some test the state has created to "rank" schools for whatever reason. Some believe that all kids are struggling and can't make the grade. Perception is reality for many. Raye -Redman got like a 30 on his ACT if remember correctly? So that was good enough for those schools?? Anyway all kids in places like Trotwood are not struggling academically and on the other end all kids in more affluent school districts are not in the 99% percentile in everything. Back to the point. Patton's issue is what position does he play on the DI level? And do coaches want to deal with his handlers(mom)? Those are the questions that I have heard about his recruitment. He qualifies academically. Even being from Trotwood!
Old 03-14-17, 08:02 AM
All Ohio

TippIsGreat is on a distinguished road
You guys forgot Mike Mccray at Michigan, one of the top academic schools in the Midwest
Old 03-14-17, 08:04 AM
All Ohio

BrutusBuckeye90 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by member1 View Post
Great post. I also remember Raye-Redman being recruited by at least two of the three service academies. Bradley and Burrows both had Stanford. The problem with the post is that it is just a microcosm of what some believe in our society as a whole.. Just because a school district in a urban area is "struggling" according to some test the state has created to "rank" schools for whatever reason. Some believe that all kids are struggling and can't make the grade. Perception is reality for many. Raye -Redman got like a 30 on his ACT if remember correctly? So that was good enough for those schools?? Anyway all kids in places like Trotwood are not struggling academically and on the other end all kids in more affluent school districts are not in the 99% percentile in everything. Back to the point. Patton's issue is what position does he play on the DI level? And do coaches want to deal with his handlers(mom)? Those are the questions that I have heard about his recruitment. He qualifies academically. Even being from Trotwood!
What are his measurements? His stats this year were awesome. I was looking at Gordon's (Sidney) stats and Patton seemed to be right there (or above him) with him in all the categories.
Old 03-14-17, 10:16 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutusBuckeye90 View Post
What are his measurements? His stats this year were awesome. I was looking at Gordon's (Sidney) stats and Patton seemed to be right there (or above him) with him in all the categories.
Patton is a legit 6'3 with long arms. He is an average athlete. That's the questions. Gordan at that size is an athletic freak. Patton is not. He is more of that dude at the YMCA that does not look that good but when you play nobody can stop him. He does a lot of things well but nothing explosive or exciting. He just get buckets as the kids say. From what I have heard the question is who is he going to guard on the DI level? Offensively he will be fine. But on D is where the coaches have their concerns. To me, it does not matter he is too good to pass up. Get him in your program and figure it out then.
Old 03-14-17, 10:31 AM
All Yappi

catscatscats is on a distinguished road
Torrey can easily play in the Mac or Horizon league
Old 03-14-17, 10:42 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippIsGreat View Post
You guys forgot Mike Mccray at Michigan, one of the top academic schools in the Midwest
Trotwood has had 5 Michigan players since 2008

Mike Shaw.....http://247sports.com/Player/Michael-...titution=18180

Brandon Moore...(also had Standford Offer) http://cfn.scout.com/a.z?s=451&p=8&c=1&nid=3786755&pg=6

Roy Roundtree....http://247sports.com/Player/Roy-Roun...titution=18180

Reon Dawson....(vanderbilt offer)..http://247sports.com/player/reon-dawson-17896

How is Jake Hall doing, i remember we played you guys he was a monster. Remember he and Raye-Redmond taking pics because they both were committed to BROWN at the time. RR opted for Lehigh instead.
Old 03-14-17, 10:49 AM
All American

Zezzo! is on a distinguished road
Torrey Patton

Great high school player but on a D1 level,,,,

Too slow to be a 1

Not big enough for a 2

Doesn't handle well enough for a 1

just right for a mid-major D2
Old 03-14-17, 11:28 AM
All Ohio

BrutusBuckeye90 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Patton is a legit 6'3 with long arms. He is an average athlete. That's the questions. Gordan at that size is an athletic freak. Patton is not. He is more of that dude at the YMCA that does not look that good but when you play nobody can stop him. He does a lot of things well but nothing explosive or exciting. He just get buckets as the kids say. From what I have heard the question is who is he going to guard on the DI level? Offensively he will be fine. But on D is where the coaches have their concerns. To me, it does not matter he is too good to pass up. Get him in your program and figure it out then.
I agree. Defense can be learned. But he has to want to do it. Kid from Lima (Dakota Mathias) was a horrible defender in High School but just made the Big 10 all defensive team.
Old 03-14-17, 02:11 PM
All American

Quote:
Why waste a scholarship on someone that you have to "figure out"college coaches know what they're doing that's their livelihood there's a reason why his ceiling is mid-major D2 and there's nothing wrong with that many kids would take that in a heartbeat!

Last edited by Zezzo!; 03-16-17 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-14-17, 02:57 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezzo! View Post
Why waste a scholarship on someone that you have to "figure out"college coaches know what their doing that's their livelihood there's a reason why his ceiling is mid-major D2 and there's nothing wrong with that many kids would take that in a heartbeat!
"Waste" ouch! I think if the kid gets an offer it's the coaches job to figure it out. Some of them do and a lot of them do not. But I do not think anybody goes in thinking we are "wasting" this scholarship on a kid that averages 20, 9 and 7?? Patton is DI talent he can plan with anybody. Coaches will figure it out and pick up on him soon.
Old 03-14-17, 03:18 PM
All Region

Perk Diggler is on a distinguished road
These coaches are getting 6 figures to make sure they don't get it wrong. So it's literally wasting hundreds of thousands of dollars if they get it wrong. It's kind of harsh but the game is cut throat! These schools take chances on upside over a kid that may be pretty close to a finish product.
Old 03-15-17, 09:01 AM
All American

Quote:
"Waste" ouch! I think if the kid gets an offer it's the coaches job to figure it out. Some of them do and a lot of them do not. But I do not think anybody goes in thinking we are "wasting" this scholarship on a kid that averages 20, 9 and 7?? Patton is DI talent he can plan with anybody. Coaches will figure it out and pick up on him soon.
Trust me, If I have a kid from anywhere in America that's 6'3 with the same exact numbers that's quicker more athletic with more upside, then I'm going with that kid. That's what seperates D1's from D2's they have more attributes.
This kid(Patton) has been on the floor starting since he was a freshman, was all-state as a junior, has lost only 4 games the last2 seasons, arguably the best player on his team(#1 team in Ohio) all of those attributes and more but doesn't have a D1 sholarship. There is a reason...it's called intangibles.

Prime example, Andre Gordon from Sidney, same size, similar numbers but has offers already as a sophomore and he hasn't reached his ceiling.

Last edited by Zezzo!; 03-15-17 at 09:14 AM.