Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-08-17, 06:54 AM
All Ohio

TippIsGreat is on a distinguished road
Tippecanoe basketball in search of new coach

Tipp will be looking for their fourth coach in as many years. Coach Visser did a great job the last two years and we all wish him luck in Toledo.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-17, 07:18 AM
All District

JAS is on a distinguished road
Where's coach going? Seems odd for a solid program like this to have such turnover.
Old 03-08-17, 07:42 AM
All Ohio

His wife took a job in Toledo, unfortunately Coach Visser was bringing stability back to the program. Bethel's coach seems like a good fit.
Old 03-08-17, 09:19 AM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
McKenzie Perry used to Coach with Zawadski at Troy Christian. He was recently the head coach at Bradford. Not a lot of success there but I think they improved with what they had (not much talent, not much support). He's a young guy that had a great mentor and would be a good head coach. Kids play hard for him. Put him in a setting like Tipp (or TC or someplace where there is support....wasn't there at Bradford) where kids actually come to open gyms, participate in the summer, etc....I think he would do well.

Last edited by winbypin; 03-08-17 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-08-17, 09:45 AM
Varsity

basketballdayton is on a distinguished road
Tipp could be an OK job with how Trotwood is out of the GWOC North and Greenville and Piqua are back to normal.....

Being in the GWOC North Tipp can get a coach that has more than average experience......
Old 03-08-17, 10:03 AM
All Ohio

Would Allen Mack ever leave Miami East?
Old 03-08-17, 10:11 AM
All World

troyboy73 is on a distinguished road
How about Ray JR.?
Old 03-08-17, 10:37 AM
All American

serpico is on a distinguished road
Former Sidney coach Andy Slaughter?
Old 03-08-17, 10:52 AM
Varsity

basketballdayton is on a distinguished road
I am pretty sure Andy Slaughter is at Southeastern down in South east Ohio. This is not the Southeastern in the Springfield, area. And he got a bad deal a year ago......
Old 03-08-17, 11:45 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyboy73 View Post
How about Ray JR.?
That's an obvious choice but I don't think he wants to come here. Brett Kopp from Bethel would be a good fit
Old 03-08-17, 11:55 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippIsGreat View Post
That's an obvious choice but I don't think he wants to come here. Brett Kopp from Bethel would be a good fit
I would be surprised if Kopp went there at this time. He has Caleb South for one more year right? My gut tells me he would want to stay there for at least another year. Could be wrong but I just think the timing on that is bad.

I don't think Ray Jr. would go back to Tipp either. He has a pretty good setup at TC.
Old 03-08-17, 12:07 PM
All District

BBallLover is on a distinguished road
What about the old Greenville coach is he coaching anywhere? He did a good job bringing that program out of the abyss
Old 03-08-17, 12:08 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
I would be surprised if Kopp went there at this time. He has Caleb South for one more year right? My gut tells me he would want to stay there for at least another year. Could be wrong but I just think the timing on that is bad.

I don't think Ray Jr. would go back to Tipp either. He has a pretty good setup at TC.
Caleb South could always follow his coach, considering a few of Bethel's players started at Tipp.
Old 03-08-17, 12:11 PM
All Region

HistoryTeacher is on a distinguished road
I would doubt that Brett Kopp (BETHEL) would leave for Tipp City. As another poster put, he has Caleb South for 1 more year with a lot coming back next year. Just do not see that happening. I also think Kopp is a Bethel Alum?

This will be an interesting pool of applicants. Tipp City can be a very solid job in the GWOC North. Wait until leaks of applicants and interviews get out. It will be interesting to see who applies but I would bet that Bethel and Miami East coaches will have no interest. Those are arguably the better basketball programs in Miami County.
Old 03-08-17, 12:16 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Caleb South could always follow his coach, considering a few of Bethel's players started at Tipp.
And sit out 50% of the season with a chance to score 2000 points in his career? Don't see that happening.
Old 03-08-17, 12:21 PM
All Region

Why would he transfer to Tipp and not Wayne? That is not sound
Old 03-08-17, 12:41 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryTeacher View Post
Why would he transfer to Tipp and not Wayne? That is not sound
Good point. If he was going to go anywhere that would probably be a better choice. Except they would have to move into the district (if he doesn't live there already) because Wayne is closed enrollment.
Old 03-08-17, 01:05 PM
All American

D4fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Tipp would be a step down for Kopp. Bethel is poised to get better for many years as they are getting a better athlete from Huber Heights spill over and they should remain at D3 for several more years rather than have to compete at D2 Tipp.

I really like the suggestion of McKenzie Perry. Hate to see Bradford loose the best thing they have had in years though.

In coaching circles there is quite a bit of talk as to some of the negatives at Tipp so I can not see any coach with a comfortable job risking a move into such a pressure cooker.
Old 03-08-17, 01:28 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4fan View Post
Tipp would be a step down for Kopp. Bethel is poised to get better for many years as they are getting a better athlete from Huber Heights spill over and they should remain at D3 for several more years rather than have to compete at D2 Tipp.

I really like the suggestion of McKenzie Perry. Hate to see Bradford loose the best thing they have had in years though.

In coaching circles there is quite a bit of talk as to some of the negatives at Tipp so I can not see any coach with a comfortable job risking a move into such a pressure cooker.
I don't agree that Tipp would be a step down, but I get your point. It's hard to find a good balance, after Pond left Tipp got a young brilliant coach Marcus. But he left after two years. Just like Visser which is the danger off having a young coach. On the other hand we all know how the Staley expirement worked out. Hopefully they can find a guy like Pond that will stick around and really build the program back up to what it was.
Old 03-08-17, 01:52 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4fan View Post
This is definitely something that some basketball coaches I know have mentioned about Tipp. Same as coaches in other sports. "It takes a strong personality that can handle Tipp City parents and administration. I would not take that job over mine even for the pay." I just think that is interesting because Tipp City looks great on the outside. Why do some coaches think this? Can some fill us in who are on the outside?
Old 03-08-17, 06:47 PM
Varsity

nelmo is on a distinguished road
Any good young coaches in the CCC or possibly GWOC assistant coaches ready to move up?
Old 03-08-17, 09:19 PM
All American

America is on a distinguished road
Quote:
This is definitely something that some basketball coaches I know have mentioned about Tipp. Same as coaches in other sports. "It takes a strong personality that can handle Tipp City parents and administration. I would not take that job over mine even for the pay." I just think that is interesting because Tipp City looks great on the outside. Why do some coaches think this? Can some fill us in who are on the outside?
I've often heard the same. Lots of coaching changes in the major sports the last 3-4 years. I was always told that they hated dealing with parents and administration.
Old 03-08-17, 10:23 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
It is not the same administration. New Super, Athletic Director and HS principal. I would say the problems coaches were having with administration is over now. JD is a respectable young AD and is already doing big things for Tipp as he did at Norwood
Old 03-09-17, 09:25 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
It is not the same administration. New Super, Athletic Director and HS principal. I would say the problems coaches were having with administration is over now. JD is a respectable young AD and is already doing big things for Tipp as he did at Norwood
That's half of the equation. Still have the parent issue but having the right administration will help there tremendously.
Old 03-09-17, 10:04 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
That's half of the equation. Still have the parent issue but having the right administration will help there tremendously.
the parent issue that was here the last few years is gone or leaving.
Old 03-09-17, 10:44 AM
All Ohio

yakyak is on a distinguished road
This is a very solid opportunity. What I worry about, is the complete block tipp has for getting out on a State run. I cant seem them consisting having teams that can make a run in DII, and that would be a big issue. Dayton DII is a monster, and it would be hard to know that you can only go so far every year even with your best teams.

If you cant handle parents, and admin. You cannot coach in 21st century. You need to feel that out in the interview with admin, and from Day 1 say my way or the highway.

The young man at Northmont looks to have accomplished this.
Old 03-09-17, 11:51 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakyak View Post
This is a very solid opportunity. What I worry about, is the complete block tipp has for getting out on a State run. I cant seem them consisting having teams that can make a run in DII, and that would be a big issue. Dayton DII is a monster, and it would be hard to know that you can only go so far every year even with your best teams.

If you cant handle parents, and admin. You cannot coach in 21st century. You need to feel that out in the interview with admin, and from Day 1 say my way or the highway.

The young man at Northmont looks to have accomplished this.
You're so right about the block. In 06 and 07 Tipp had two of their best teams ever but ran into Dunbar with Norris Cole in the Regionals
Old 03-09-17, 01:55 PM
Freshman

GoGoshenWarriors1978 is on a distinguished road
Curious as to your opinion of the new AD?? What "big things" has he done at Tipp. Have some acquaintances from his old school that were not sad when he chose to leave...
Old 03-09-17, 04:03 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoshenWarriors1978 View Post
Curious as to your opinion of the new AD?? What "big things" has he done at Tipp. Have some acquaintances from his old school that were not sad when he chose to leave...
Mainly getting a stadium, which wasn't all him, but he really helped. As well as a lot of little things like sponsors, seminars, and activities that our last AD never really seemed to do. He is very active in the community and all the sports, and is a huge upgrade over our old AD.
Old 03-10-17, 07:42 AM
All District

JAS is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelmo View Post
Any good young coaches in the CCC or possibly GWOC assistant coaches ready to move up?
What about CBC now that Tipp is a GWOC school coaches could jump from there?