Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-13-17, 06:08 PM
All World

irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
Smalls that is a Bruce Smith staple. Seemed his teams always played to the competition. Part of me sometimes wondered if he did it on purpose, to almost put his teams in adverse situations.

Do not forget the TCC teams with Lehman, Jones, Harris, Bussey, Towbridge, etc...

I'll never forget Bussey beating SJ with that shot and Towbridge's mom taking on the SJ student section. I never saw so many scared floppy haired trust funders in Toledo since Mountain Man Ski Shop ran out of fleece jackets in 96'.
Old 01-13-17, 10:07 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
Smalls that is a Bruce Smith staple. Seemed his teams always played to the competition. Part of me sometimes wondered if he did it on purpose, to almost put his teams in adverse situations.

Do not forget the TCC teams with Lehman, Jones, Harris, Bussey, Towbridge, etc...

I'll never forget Bussey beating SJ with that shot and Towbridge's mom taking on the SJ student section. I never saw so many scared floppy haired trust funders in Toledo since Mountain Man Ski Shop ran out of fleece jackets in 96'.
I remember that! The destitute faces at the UPS, waiting for the airlift to come in. Still brings chills. We collected laundry lint at the St Louis and sent it to help tide them over. They never said "thank you."
Old 01-13-17, 11:53 PM
All World

Oh the irony. Heintschel's childhood parish saving the day unbeknownst to anyone.

Who'd a thunk that a TAAC team like Cardinal Stritch is a year or two away from being the top team in the area?

I like it.
Old 01-14-17, 07:59 AM
All Ohio

cchs1983 is an unknown quantity at this point
As I've said before the basketball landscape in NW Ohio is changing. Stritch is a major player for young talent as is MVCD, Stritch has already locked up the best young PG from east Toledo. On top of that, Clay, Lake, Genoa and Rossford are all open district and once they figure out how that can benefit a basketball team things will get even more dicey. TPS will still get their fair share of hoopers and SJJ will always attract the top city kids and the kids from Evergreen and Central will still get the football kid who plays hoops. The next major change will be how SFS uses it's million dollar grant on athletes.
Old 01-14-17, 12:37 PM
All Region

smurfyeah19 is on a distinguished road
SJJ first needs to figure out that you have to give Vince Williams the ball and up that tempo a bit. That team could have ran Findlay out of the gym, instead they elected to play a half court offense and had to rely on a 4th qtr run to win
Old 01-14-17, 02:00 PM
All American

ToledoXC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyeah19 View Post
SJJ first needs to figure out that you have to give Vince Williams the ball and up that tempo a bit. That team could have ran Findlay out of the gym, instead they elected to play a half court offense and had to rely on a 4th qtr run to win
Giving Williams the ball didn't work against St Francis as he had 6 first half turnovers. They were 2/15 from three, that was the issue last night. They need to learn how to play in the half court if they want to go far in March. Going to #11 St. Eds next week should be a good test for SJJ.
Old 01-16-17, 04:07 AM
All Region

smurfyeah19 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToledoXC View Post
Giving Williams the ball didn't work against St Francis as he had 6 first half turnovers. They were 2/15 from three, that was the issue last night. They need to learn how to play in the half court if they want to go far in March. Going to #11 St. Eds next week should be a good test for SJJ.

Because Findlay plays that perfect country 2-3 zone defense that seems to confound city teams. Which leads me to say you need to set up Williams on offense instead of simply having him get the ball in a way similar to how Libbey did with Buford.

That's why I'm such a fan of SJJ needing to speed it up a bit, a high pace would be tough to match with such good athletes
Old 01-16-17, 08:33 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown Benny View Post
Neither of the 2 Lima Senior transfer students from Puerto Rico played in the opening season loss to Toledo St Francis last week. Both are still awaiting final approval from the OHSAA. The 2 players are Javier Quineros , 6'2" guard and Jatsiel Colon, 6' 8" post player.
Any word on these kids yet?
Old 01-16-17, 03:59 PM
Varsity

NLLRAM is on a distinguished road
Not eligible per ohsaa even though they live with their parents in lima???? I was told 3 different schools complained to ohsaa.
Old 01-16-17, 04:27 PM
All Region

jafo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Because Findlay plays that perfect country 2-3 zone defense that seems to confound city teams. Which leads me to say you need to set up Williams on offense instead of simply having him get the ball in a way similar to how Libbey did with Buford.

That's why I'm such a fan of SJJ needing to speed it up a bit, a high pace would be tough to match with such good athletes
Some of my best naps have been at Findlay home games.
Old 01-16-17, 07:49 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLLRAM View Post
Not eligible per ohsaa even though they live with their parents in lima???? I was told 3 different schools complained to ohsaa.
So they won't play this season?
Old 01-17-17, 03:09 PM
All Ohio

Johnstown Benny is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLLRAM View Post
On January 5th,both were declared ineligible to play this season by the OHSAA.
The parent of Javier Quinones is appealing the decision.

JB
Old 01-17-17, 03:19 PM
All Ohio

Track XC is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Track XC
Quote:

This would be the case if Williams was a guard and could dribble. Unfortunately, he really struggles driving to the rim. The way they can be successful is by giving him the ball in the midrange and post. He commands a double team everytime and is good enough of a passer to find the plethora of shooters SJJ has on the perimeter if he doesn't have a look. If the SJJ coaching staff continues to let him float on the perimeter and don't use him down low, they won't make a very deep run in the post season. I understand wanting him to develop on the perimeter for the next level, but its clearly not the best way to use him in HS.

The athletes sjj have can be as dominant in a halfcourt style of play as they can be in a high pace style of play. The only evidence you need to believe this is the SFS game.

Last edited by Track XC; 01-19-17 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01-17-17, 04:01 PM
All Region

Spartan87 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToledoXC View Post
So they won't play this season?
No, will not play this season..
Old 01-17-17, 04:50 PM
All World

What is the reasoning?
Old 01-17-17, 06:06 PM
All Region

Waiting to hear the exact reason from OHSAA..
Old 01-17-17, 07:44 PM
All Ohio

Javier Quinones the senior guard will be eligible to play the rest of the regular season, but not eligible for any tournament games. This was decided after a meeting with the OHSSA and his mother. The other player involved did not appeal .

JB
Old 01-17-17, 07:55 PM
All American

Tough news for Lima Senior.

Excited to see how SJJ integrates 6'4 Southview transfer Kyren Bolden into the mix as he is now eligible to play. Will help big time with their depth.
Old 01-17-17, 11:20 PM
All Region

buccaneers2002 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Don't forget the man behind it all, the g.o.a.t Jim Welling. Those were some fun teams to watch. The man knew how to coach a team to victory, especially when it mattered most.

The Bussey buzzer-beater to beat the Johnnies was epic. And who could ever forget the egotistical St. John's fanbase (particularly the mothers) delivering donuts (yes, boxes upon boxes of good ole fashioned Dunkin' Donuts) days after to Central Catholic to "apologize" for their student section's racist chants towards our players & school that night...
Old 01-18-17, 09:46 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown Benny View Post
Javier Quinones the senior guard will be eligible to play the rest of the regular season, but not eligible for any tournament games. This was decided after a meeting with the OHSSA and his mother. The other player involved did not appeal .

JB
They should have all went to SJ. They'd be eligible in no time.

The OHSAA is a sham.
Old 01-18-17, 09:52 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by buccaneers2002 View Post
Don't forget the man behind it all, the g.o.a.t Jim Welling. Those were some fun teams to watch. The man knew how to coach a team to victory, especially when it mattered most.

The Bussey buzzer-beater to beat the Johnnies was epic. And who could ever forget the egotistical St. John's fanbase (particularly the mothers) delivering donuts (yes, boxes upon boxes of good ole fashioned Dunkin' Donuts) days after to Central Catholic to "apologize" for their student section's racist chants towards our players & school that night...
Kids do and say dumb things. But when adults allow it to happen it is disgraceful. And the SJ administration allowed it to happen.
Old 01-19-17, 04:26 PM
All Ohio

Track XC is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Track XC
Quote:
They should have all went to SJ. They'd be eligible in no time.

The OHSAA is a sham.
Look at where Lima Senior's players have came from since Simpson took over. He's had plenty of guys come up from Dayton and all over Ohio to play for him. On the other hand, sjj has had plenty of amazing basketball players walk the halls as underclassmen only to leave and become big contributors at rival schools in NWO. If they were really that desperate to get talented players and keep them eligible at all costs, that wouldn't be the case.
Old 01-19-17, 05:56 PM
All Region

buccaneers2002 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchs1983 View Post
As I've said before the basketball landscape in NW Ohio is changing. Stritch is a major player for young talent as is MVCD, Stritch has already locked up the best young PG from east Toledo. On top of that, Clay, Lake, Genoa and Rossford are all open district and once they figure out how that can benefit a basketball team things will get even more dicey. TPS will still get their fair share of hoopers and SJJ will always attract the top city kids and the kids from Evergreen and Central will still get the football kid who plays hoops. The next major change will be how SFS uses it's million dollar grant on athletes.
Do you have any idea why Zeb Jackson left CCHS after just 1 quarter?

Irish had the state's best freshman PG (already w/ 2 DI offers) walking the halls & they would have contended for a TRAC title + more this season with him...now they are struggling to finish better than 6th in the TRAC for the 2nd straight year.

Maumee Valley doesn't seem to be very good as they are struggling in the TAAC this season...and their so-called basketball arena has maybe 3 rows of seating, I just don't get the move.
Old 01-19-17, 07:31 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track XC View Post
If they were really that desperate to get talented players and keep them eligible at all costs.
So a student attends and plays basketball for Ottawa Hills as an 8th grader, transfers to SJ Academy and repeats 8th grade even though he is a very good student from one of the state's best districts. No desperation in encouraging red-shirting successful students for athletic gain.
Old 01-19-17, 07:35 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track XC View Post
Look at where Lima Senior's players have came from since Simpson took over. He's had plenty of guys come up from Dayton and all over Ohio to play for him. On the other hand, sjj has had plenty of amazing basketball players walk the halls as underclassmen only to leave and become big contributors at rival schools in NWO. If they were really that desperate to get talented players and keep them eligible at all costs, that wouldn't be the case.
Who from Dayton was on Lima Senior's roster?? Jarius Ward moved back to Lima from Reyonldsburg. The other "transfers" were, Marquevious Wilson came from Elida, Xavier Simpson, his son, and Marquis Coleman, JV player last year came from LCC. Sorry, the rest were all home grown. Don't know where you got your info from.
Old 01-19-17, 08:42 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan87 View Post
Who from Dayton was on Lima Senior's roster?? Jarius Ward moved back to Lima from Reyonldsburg. The other "transfers" were, Marquevious Wilson came from Elida, Xavier Simpson, his son, and Marquis Coleman, JV player last year came from LCC. Sorry, the rest were all home grown. Don't know where you got your info from.
Spartan87,

Maybe Track XC was thinking of Elijah Pughsley who moved back to Lima for
his senior year after playing at Cincinnati Hughes. I don't know of any player
that transferred in from Dayton ?? You already mentioned all the other transfers that joined Coach Simpson upon his arrival 2 years ago and all had Lima roots.

JB
Old 01-19-17, 09:01 PM
All Region

Yes, I forgot Elijah. Yes, Coach Simpson's nephew. Elijah's mother and father have been in Lima all their lives. So a Lima kid that returns home to play for his uncle isn't all that suspicious to me.
Old 01-19-17, 09:28 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
He's a Johnnie and we're talking hoops, so he has no clue as usual.
Old 01-19-17, 10:25 PM
All American

Quote:
So a student attends and plays basketball for Ottawa Hills as an 8th grader, transfers to SJ Academy and repeats 8th grade even though he is a very good student from one of the state's best districts. No desperation in encouraging red-shirting successful students for athletic gain.
If this is the case then why isn't Vincent Williams a sophomore right now? He doesn't turn 17 until the start of his senior year.
Old 01-19-17, 10:37 PM
All Ohio

Blue Jay Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Is it normal for 4-5 really good basketball players to transfer in in one year? And then two more really good players from out of the US the next year? Where is this normal?