Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 3.22 average. Display Modes
Old 05-15-17, 09:23 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Hope I am not out of line answering at this late time. Watching "Madoff" on TV (Richard Dreyfuss) and have not read through the posts. Sorry.

# 53 Layla

If I am out of order, I apologize and will take my lashes.
Old 05-15-17, 10:08 PM
All American

Bevo is on a distinguished road
Wow, JB and I are sending everyone off to bed for the night and we have some late hits. That is fine!

cs - No. 53. - This song gives me chills today. I use to play this on a juke box when Upper's first Pizza Hut opened in around '75. Long gone but the song really endures. It's a Boyd sister (Pattie) messing up the rockers' heads again. Someone should do a book on those early girls.

No. 63 - this might be the song that started it all with the "hot mom" stuff ( I'll skip the abbreviation that is demeaning to our female contestants, in case they stop by).

Last edited by Bevo; 05-15-17 at 10:34 PM.
Old 05-15-17, 10:17 PM
All American

Eagleguy - you fly like an Eagle on here! You're family here. When I say we have a few regulars, you are in that group! When I wore a younger man's clothes ( that actually fit me) I would be sitting on the couch on a Friday night with the aforementioned "steady" known as Sally watching Mannix on a Friday night.
You are to be commended for taking on De Niro and Madoff. Heard Bobby is great in this.

Ok, hounds. We have the Dolly Parton and Leo Kotke's songs left. Dolly's is known and was popular. Leo's probably not.

If unanswered by morning, I'll nail them down.

Then if anyone else wants to kick it on here, go for it. If not, I have a few more rock tests in waiting including: break up songs (Achy, Breaky Quiz), songs with numbers (How many beers are in a case of Little Kings Quiz?), and songs with colors (The Leon REDbone Quiz). Enough for another couple of weeks.

Last edited by Bevo; 05-16-17 at 06:12 AM.
Old 05-15-17, 10:52 PM
All American

I had forgotten De Niro played Madoff in the movie "Lies". I have not seen it and after seeing Dreyfuss as Madoff over the past two nights (CNBC), I feel certain I have had enough of him for a while. Certainly, if I am channel-surfing as I was last night and come across De Niro's movie, I will watch it - as sickening as the subject is. Dreyfuss was hauntingly good (or, bad). One thing I did not know was that Madoff was pretty much a real bad egg right from the start of his career. I always imagined he went awry at some point along his 40+ year "career". But..... no. Satan on Earth.

Thanks for the kind words.
Old 05-16-17, 06:18 AM
All American

The Dolly Parton song was Jolene. You all were certainly interested in Dolly when she went mainstream. Remember Johnny Carson had her on one night and in his best/bad little boy act said he would give up about a half year's salary to peek under her shirt. It was funny, at the time!

Leo Kotke was never a star. a great picker on the 12-string, slide guitar. I recall seeing him sing this song, Pamela Brown, on the old Merv Griffin Show probably 40-45 years ago. I thought the song was great! Check it out (and Dolly, too; not bad for 70).

And, there was a Pamela Brown.

Enjoy the day Wayward ones. We all know how sweet a sunny warm day is when we see the sun early!
Old 05-16-17, 06:58 AM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
48. "Sweet Jane"?

I know Lou Reed sings it, so could be Velvet Underground. Actually, it's the only song I actually know by Reed, other than "Walk On The Wild Side". Q-FM 96 in Columbus would play a live version once in a great while. Great dueling guitar intro, then it kinda becomes monotonous when you get to the lyric part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldshoulder View Post

63. "Stacey's Mom" -- Fountains of Wayne
Part of me is horrified that I like this song, and part of me is amazed that I like it, because I can't stand the vast majority of pop "songs" nowadays.

Nice choice for the quiz. Now I have to watch the video!
Old 05-16-17, 07:52 AM
All American

Yes, the video is pertinent to the music.

You know, Sweet Jane is probably the better choice so we'll give you full credit on that.

The song I had in mind was an album cut called Sister Ray (I think that was suppose to be a girl - maybe not, now that I think about it).

I was never a fan of the Velvets. Although, I did like Lou Reed's Take A Walk on The Wild Side (hipster, at its best!) and Waiting for The Man.

I believe Zunardo has cleaned the plate.
Old 05-16-17, 10:55 AM
All World

One Who Knows is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Eagleguy - you fly like an Eagle on here! You're family here. When I say we have a few regulars, you are in that group! When I wore a younger man's clothes ( that actually fit me) I would be sitting on the couch on a Friday night with the aforementioned "steady" known as Sally watching Mannix on a Friday night. You are to be commended for taking on De Niro and Madoff. Heard Bobby is great in this.
Just a couple of random comments now that the latest trivia quiz has been completed by Zunardo:

1. The HBO movie about Bernie Madoff ("The Wizard of Lies") is supposed to be a good one. Also, I think that Bevo will appreciate the fact that Michelle Pfeiffer plays the role of Madoff's wife, Ruth.
2. Bevo's mention of the TV series "Mannix" brings back memories of one of my favorite shows. Interestingly, the star of that show, the late Mike Connors (real name was Krekor Ohanian) attended UCLA on a basketball scholarship. Supposedly, he played briefly for UCLA's legendary coach, John Wooden.
3. Since I mentioned basketball, the AARP Regulars/Wayward Boys know that I have mentioned the Akron Goodyear Wingfoots on several occasions. Well, next season, the Cleveland Cavaliers will wear the Goodyear logo on their jerseys. Here's the story:
http://www.crainscleveland.com/artic...2017-18-season
Quote:
The Akron Wingfoots were one of the oldest basketball teams in the United States, founded in 1918 by workers at Goodyear. Then, as now, there was a relationship between basketball and shoes. The Wingfoot team helped Goodyear promote the first canvas and rubber based shoes made specifically for athletics-- the “Wingfoot.” Goodyear Hall, opened in 1920, was the largest gymnasium in the state of Ohio.
Keep the Ball Rollin'
Old 05-16-17, 06:19 PM
All Ohio

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleGuy View Post
34] Elanor (Rigby) - quite possibly my favorite Beatles' song

36] Martha My Dear (just kiddin') - Julia - nice, soft tune

45] (Dear) Prudence - interesting song: "DP..... won't you come out to pla-a-aay?
Way to go, EagleGuy.
I remember reading about the songwriting team of Lennon/McCartney when I was growing up. People were comparing them to the all-time greats. Of course, I poo-poohed that....What, all-time greats?
All I knew was that I liked their stuff. As I have gotten older, I have learned to appreciate that almost every one of their songs is absolutely beautiful. I don't love EVERY one of them, but 95% of them show their genius, whether it is thru the lyrics, melody, or combination thereof.
Old 05-16-17, 09:10 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monclova Steve View Post
Way to go, EagleGuy.
I remember reading about the songwriting team of Lennon/McCartney when I was growing up. People were comparing them to the all-time greats. Of course, I poo-poohed that....What, all-time greats?
All I knew was that I liked their stuff. As I have gotten older, I have learned to appreciate that almost every one of their songs is absolutely beautiful. I don't love EVERY one of them, but 95% of them show their genius, whether it is thru the lyrics, melody, or combination thereof.
MC - I knew the first and third right off, mate (said in a British/Aussie accent) and was pretty sure about "Julia". (My fading memory told me John's mother's name started with a "J", also.) Though I always liked the Beatles, I liked the later works more than the early music, which were largely love ballads - iirc. As Bevo has noted, some of their lessor known songs, such as Eleanor Rigby and The Long and Winding Road, are some of their best. One day, I will buy a record player and break out my LPs!
Old 05-17-17, 08:38 AM
All District

Diva is on a distinguished road
Darn. Missed it again. Looks like it was about women's names.

Is anyone familiar with the song by Uriah Heep with the title containing a woman's name?

Last edited by Diva; 05-17-17 at 09:09 AM.
Old 05-17-17, 09:22 AM
All American

I believe it was Lorraine or Connie...can't recall for sure.

We miss you in the quizzes as I have to police myself, thinking you might pop up.

As for The Beatles, I love it all. The sweetness and craftsmanship of the early songs along with incredible melodies. Their later work - aided greatly by George Martin - is staggering. When you stop and consider the sophstication of some of their work when they were still in their 20's, it's beyond great. I mean the music in Eleanor Rigby along with the poignant tale it told, is worthy of anything ever done in music. They were in their mid and late 20's.

So, I love it all but I have a powerful interest of the band as it made its way to Hamburg and Scotland in the late 50's. Each of them has said that they became The Beatles in Hamburg. 12-hour sets, day after day. Granted, three of them were probably genuises - and the drummer was no slouch, himself. But to stay with it. You know for a handful of us, OWK, JB, Monclovas, and myself etc. it was just six to eight years and less later when the garage bands were popping up everywhere. My God, even I had a drum set!!

But, 99.9% of them folded. John, Paul, George and Ringo played on. And, let's be clear, fortuituous and filled with serendipity as it was, Paul and John were musical alchemy. A chance encounter and then... .
Old 05-17-17, 09:35 AM
All American

Yep - "Sweet Lorraine", great little tune. I believe it was on Heep's "The Magician's Birthday" LP. And I think I have the album somewhere in my basement. I always liked that "Dark Shadows" synthesizer riff on the intro.

"Sweet Connie" is referenced on GFR's "We're An American Band" - and because this is a family-friendly thread, that's all I'll say about that!

Speaking of which, the risque trivia question about how Steely Dan got their name - Dick Clark had the perfect answer which was broadcast on "American Bandstand":

Old 05-17-17, 09:43 AM
All American

Boy, that's Dick being Dick! What a great duo!!

Been thinking about Eleanor Rigby. The song was released in '66; the other side was Yellow Submarine. (Tale about diverse music!) (On birthdays, Paul was 24-25 and John was 25. Powerful.

Last edited by Bevo; 05-17-17 at 02:31 PM.
Old 05-17-17, 07:22 PM
All District

Interesting that Bevo and Zunardo both mentioned Connie.
Old 05-17-17, 07:31 PM
All American

!!!!! Yeah, but I had a hidden motive.

Last edited by Bevo; 05-18-17 at 09:18 AM.
Old 05-18-17, 09:49 AM
All American

I wasn't going to mention Connie until Bevo said he didn't know if the Uriah Heep song was about Lorraine or Connie.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Old 05-18-17, 10:25 AM
All American

I don't know how else to say this so I'll just say it: Diva and I have a past.
Old 05-18-17, 10:52 AM
All American

TMI !!!

LOL - I had a flashback to the first time I heard Uriah Heep, I believe it was "Stealin' " sometime in my sophomore year. At the time I had just started listened to real Top 40 on the radio (instead of the Letterman covers of Top 40 songs on WTVN-AM).

UH was a little to much hard-rock for my tender sensibilities at that age. I wasn't quite prepared for David Byron's vocals or the hard crunch of the organ and guitar together, but I came to appreciate it over the next year or two.

Anyway, that same year a few of us in the marching band got together with two guitar players, and we got permission to play Stealin' during warm-ups at a high school basketball game. Two of us were trumpet players, another brought his drumset, and one of the guitar players sat and wrote a chart for us right then and there to play the keyboard parts on our horns.

I think we also played Santana's "Evil Waze" during halftime. We had fun, and I hoped the crowd enjoyed it. Not sure the administration liked it that much. We were replaced soon afterward by a pep band (of which I also played in).
Old 05-18-17, 11:37 AM
All District

I love that story, Zunardo! Good for you for starting up a rock band and staying in marching band! The girls were probably all over you.

I had "The Magician's Birthday" album and played it over and over. I was very young but a rocker even then! No tattoos, never had an alcoholic beverage or smoked (even while we played clubs for two years, it's just not my thing), yet I have always loved the rock songs since I was a child. I'm in good company here. You all have such amazing memories as to who sang what and the name of the band/artist.

My first rock band experience was also in a high school band thrown together for senior day. We did "Rock and Roll Hootchie Coo" and "Roll Over Beethoven". I swore then and there I was going to do that in a real band, and I did.

I was never in marching band; I didn't play any of those types of instruments. Guitar and keyboards for me. Our four kids, however, were in it as a requirement. I was always amazed when they would go on the field and know where they were supposed to go while marching and playing at the same time. I am not coordinated enough to do that.

Yes, Bevo is the one who got me in the group many years ago when he mentioned my daughter who sang at a basketball game. I appreciated your kind comments. (She's having her second daughter in July, by the way.) She did not marry the basketball star she was dating that year, but they do keep in touch every few years. She's happily married to another guy and living in Utah with the rest of our kids and grandkids.

When's the next quiz? I have to go to work, but I'll try to pop in here more often. Gotta keep Bevo on his toes.

Fort, are you here?
Old 05-18-17, 09:18 PM
All District

coldshoulder is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=Zunardo;6766232]

Speaking of which, the risque trivia question about how Steely Dan got their name - Dick Clark had the perfect answer which was broadcast on "American Bandstand."

Had to Google>Wikipedia to find this out. All these years I never knew.

Have 4 Steely Dan songs in my phone: Pretzel Logic, My Old School, Don't Take Me Alive, and Gaucho.
Old 05-19-17, 09:37 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldshoulder View Post
Had to Google>Wikipedia to find this out. All these years I never knew.
coldshoulder - Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. I not only didn't have a clue about Steely Dan, but I didn't even suspect anything. Once again, being educated on the AARP Thread.

ROCK ON!
Old 05-19-17, 10:42 AM
All American

So, JB and I appear to be the only "players" on here who knew this. Says something... .
Old 05-19-17, 11:03 AM
All American

The person who came up with "Steely Dan" is William F. Burroughs. A real degenerate, hipster, Beat of the late 40's and into the 70's "cool" cat.

Please Google him to get the full effect.

Just a quickie, in music his titles and phrases have great admiration. In addition to "Steely Dan", he came up the name "The Soft Machien" (A British band took it), and Husker Du and alt rock band, "Clem Snide".

The band "The Mugwumps" also got their odd name from Burroughs' writings. They may not be remembered but their cast certainly is. The band consisted of John Sebastian and Zal Yanovsky of "The Lovin" Spoonful" ( we don't need to go there or to the band "10cc"). also, a part of that band was Cass Elliot and Denny Dohertry of the Mamas and Papas

What appears to be the most anonymous band member, Jim Hendricks (no, not that one), actually became a prolific song writer.

His most famous tune and admired greatly on our threads was our good friend Johnny Rivers' hit, "Summer Rain". Hendricks also wrote the theme song - sung by the show's star, Michael Parks - "Travelling Down That Long Lonesome Highway" for the tv show "Then Came Bronson". A show I watched and liked. I believe Parks just died recently.

Hendricks, in addition to these two songs, has also recorded over 50 albums of everything from Christian, to Folk and Mountain, Swing, Western Swing, Tex-Mex and some rock.

There is a lot of bizarre and strange info. about William F. and it is fascinating - if demented and debauched. One of the more infamous events of his life was when he killed his wife when in a drunken state he attempted to shoot a high ball glass off her equally drunken head (like William Tell). ( Her name was Joan Volmer and I am sure there has to be a really bad band somewhere with that name.) He was convicted of manslaughter. This occurred in Mexico and upon drawing weary of the wait for the trial, he skipped the country and was found guilty in absentia and given a two-month suspended sentence.

His most famous book was entitled "The Naked Lunch" about his addiction to heroin.

The kind of guy you wouldn't want to have a property line dispute with!

Last edited by Bevo; 05-19-17 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-19-17, 03:09 PM
All American

Moving on... Today's one question trivia quiz. Someone will know this.

Recent Happy Birthday to the guy who once said, amidst the mud, blood, sex, dope and weed, "We must be in Heaven, man!"

Nick name and real name for full credit; passing grade for one or the other.
Old 05-19-17, 03:16 PM
All World

Quote:
Moving on... Today's one question trivia quiz. Someone will know this.

Recent Happy Birthday to the guy who once said, amidst the mud, blood, sex, dope and weed, "We must be in Heaven, man!"

Nick name and real name for full credit; passing grade for one or the other.
None other than "Wavy Gravy". I have no idea as to his real name.

ROCK ON!
Old 05-19-17, 03:31 PM
All American

OWK! His name was Hugh Romney. Hugh is 80 and has made his living by being Wavy Gravy and running a communal enterprise called The Hog Farm. The fact that Mr. Gravy has made it this long, probably shows that he was one of a handful of people on the farm who was NOT taking the brown mescaline that he warned about.

The fact that I know and of this has a lot to do with why my six, six week algebra grades were: C,C,C,D,D,D (as a senior).

While the rock world converged on Yasgar's farm, I was at Gem Beach listening to The Jordan Parker Review. My friend Chuck and I stayed in a motel with rentals of one room each. I believe it cost $12 a night. Just one of hundreds of times that I was in the wrong place at the right time. (I'm sure even Jordan Parker wished he was there.)

My guilty pleasures of the day; The Moody Blues with Your Wildest Dreams, I Know You're Out There Somewhere, Go Now, and the Nights in White Satin.

Discussed before but worth mentioning again - hidden treasure: Bad to Me by Billy J. Kramer and The Dakotas.

OWK and JB, I know you know who wrote this nugget but how about anyone else?

Last edited by Bevo; 05-19-17 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-19-17, 05:33 PM
All Ohio

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Lennon/McCartney (actually John wrote it but like many of their songs it was credited to both).

I've always loved Billy J. Kramer and the Dakotas.

Wavy Gravy has never gotten enough credit for what he did at Woodstock. He and his gang fed tons of people who truly needed what he was able to scrounge up, fix, and distribute to a LOT of hungry people.
Old 05-19-17, 07:15 PM
All American

Yes, indeed! Sitting in the front room of Paul's parents' house at about the same time they wrote "She Loves You" and Paul's dad suggested that they change "Yeah, yeah, yeah" to "Yes, yes, yes" because he was tired of hearing so many American colloquialisms.

Let's go Cavs!!!!

Last edited by Bevo; 05-19-17 at 08:41 PM.
Old 05-19-17, 08:01 PM
All Ohio

Johnstown Benny is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So, JB and I appear to be the only "players" on here who knew this. Says something... .

Yes, it says volumes about us Bevo, lol.

Now even though no other "players" may have been familiar with the origin of Steely Dan as the band's name or who William Burroughs was, I'll bet that many of those same "players don't realize they may actually have a picture of William Burroughs in their home !

How you ask is that possible. . . . well, in just 13 days it will mark the 50th anniversary of the release of The Beatles album, "Sgt.Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" and I'm certain that there a lot of Aarpsters that still have a copy of this classic album. Just check out the famous album cover and you will see that near the top center is a picture of William Burroughs right beside Marilyn Monroe.

JB

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: