Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-05-16, 05:39 PM
All Ohio

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
#5 is Claire Bee!

I still remember reading (actually scarfing) down every one of those I could find at my local library. Chip was my hero!
Old 08-05-16, 06:30 PM
All World

One Who Knows is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monclova Steve View Post
#5 is Claire Bee!

I still remember reading (actually scarfing) down every one of those I could find at my local library. Chip was my hero!
Great job, Monclova Steve! "JB" alluded to the correct answer, but you nailed it:
#5 Clair Bee, Long Island University

Here's the FINAL update on this most recent trivia quiz:

1. What former D-I head basketball coach was: (1) a high school teammate of Lew Alcindor, (2) a member of Al McGuire's first recruiting class at Marquette and (3) served in Vietnam with the Marines?
DANNY NEE, Ohio U, Nebraska, Robert Morris and Duquesne (MontetheCarlo)

2. What is the nickname for the basketball arena at the University of New Mexico?
"THE PIT", WisePies Arena (Mr. Slippery)

3. I am the all-time leading scorer at my high school in Ohio and once scored 61 points in one game. I was the leading scorer for Ohio State in the 1962 NCAA championship game. I was a consensus All-American at Ohio State, but actually attended Kentucky first (I spent two days in Lexington). I was a first round draft pick in the NBA draft after being named College "Player of the Year". Who Am I?
GARY BRADDS with 15 points vs. Cincinnati (Bethere)

4. Who was the Duke player who threw the in-bounds pass on Christian Laettner's famous last-second shot vs. Kentucky in 1992?
GRANT HILL (Mr. Slippery)

5. What member of the Basketball Hall of Fame is just as famous for writing a series of children's books (the Chip Hilton series) as he was for coaching hoops?
CLAIR BEE, Long Island University (Monclova Steve)

6. Who was the coach of the team known as "Phi Slama Jama"?
Guy Lewis, Houston Cougars (Zunardo)

7. I was a college All-American and a five-time NBA all-star. I chose my athletic number, however, because of my admiration for "The King of NASCAR". Who Am I?
BRAD DAUGHERTY, #43 UNC & Cleveland Cavs (Mr. Slippery)

8. Who was the first player in NCAA tournament history to score 50 or more points three times?
Austin Carr, Notre Dame - 61 and 52 in 1970 and 52 points in 1971 (tomcat)

9. One of the finest players in Duke history, I was an All-American and College "Player of the Year". I was named the Most Outstanding Player in the Final Four, although the Blue Devils did not win the championship. I was the #1 pick in the NBA draft and made the All-Rookie team. Within three seasons, I was out of the league and played in the ABA. Who Am I?
ART HEYMANN (coldshoulder)

10. 1969 and 1970 were outstanding years for high-scoring guards. "Pistol Pete" Maravich scored more points than any other college player over those two seasons (2529 pts.). Two other hot-shooting guards were Purdue’s Rick Mount (1740 pts.) and Niagara’s Calvin Murphy (1632 pts.). Name a college guard who led the nation in free throw shooting, scored 69 points in a single game and scored more points than either Mount or Murphy over those two seasons.
JOHN RINKA, Kenyon College, 1824 points (JB)

11. What former NCAA Championship coach also played MLB?
FRED TAYLOR, Ohio State - NCAA champs '60; Washington Senators (JB)

12. Marvin Wood, the coach Gene Hackman portrayed in the movie "Hoosiers", served as a junior high school coach at a Cleveland area school in his last coaching position. Name the school.
KIRTLAND, CatAlum

13. Before his father, Press, got the head coaching job at LSU, what college did "Pistol Pete" Maravich plan to attend?
WEST VIRGINIA UNIVERSITY (coldshoulder)

14. This player from the 1960's is the only person to play on a championship team in college (D-I), the ABA, and NBA. Name the player and his championship teams.
TOM THACKER - University of Cincinnati ('61, '62); Indiana Pacers ('70); Boston Celtics ('63, '64, '65, '66, '68) - (JB)

15. Who was the starting center for UCLA between Lew Alcindor (1967-69) and Bill Walton (1972-74)?
STEVE PATTERSON, 1970-72 (Bethere)

Extra-Credit:

A. I made the NCAA All-Tournament basketball team in 1961 as my college defeated Jerry Lucas' Ohio State Buckeyes for the NCAA title. I also played in a major league baseball game the same calendar year. I'm the only person ever to accomplish this feat. Who Am I?
CARL BOULDIN, UC and the Washington Senators (Frank Underwood)

B. On August 28, 1963, as Dr. Martin Luther King waved goodbye to an audience of over 200,000 "March on Washington" participants, he handed a future Division I basketball coach the original typewritten "I Have a Dream" speech". Name the coach.
George Raveling - Washington State, Iowa, USC (tomcat)

ROCK ON
Old 08-06-16, 12:17 AM
Junior Varsity

Bethere is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Who Knows View Post
Thanks "JB" and your correct answer has already been added to the update. John Rinka, a charter member of the Ohio Basketball HOF, scored 69 points vs. Wooster. Since you mentioned Austin Carr's 61-points vs. Ohio U, you might want to do a little more thinking on the remaining unanswered questions.

Keep the Ball Rollin'
Who was the lucky guy who 'guarded' austin carr that day?
Old 08-06-16, 06:02 AM
All Ohio

Johnstown Benny is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethere View Post
Who was the lucky guy who 'guarded' austin carr that day?
Bethere,

I think the answer that comes to mind first on who was guarding Austin Carr when he dropped 61 on the Ohio U. Bobcats in the 1970 NCAA tournament was "no one" was guarding him !

Officially though, OU's starting guards were John Canine and Ken Kowell and along with subs Gary Wolfe,Tom Corde and Larry Hunter those 5 guards all were responsible for Carr's output that day back in 1970.

What many don't realize was the fact those 61 points were before the 3 point play was in effect. Austin was 25 of 44 in fg's and 11 of 14 from the foul line.

Aside from Carr's record setting game during the era of the 3M boys 68-69 in particular with Pete Maravich, Rick Mount, and Calvin Murphy all those unbelievable scoring totals from those guards were set without a single trey.
One can only imagine what they would have averaged with the 3 point line.

Also sometime check out what Austin Carr "averaged" in NCAA tournament play.

JB
Old 08-06-16, 09:12 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown Benny View Post
Aside from Carr's record setting game during the era of the 3M boys 68-69 in particular with Pete Maravich, Rick Mount, and Calvin Murphy all those unbelievable scoring totals from those guards were set without a single trey.
One can only imagine what they would have averaged with the 3 point line.JB
Thinking about Maravich, Mount and Murphy with the 3-point shot would be mind-bobbling. Those guys put up numbers that were hard to believe without the trey. Along with Austin Carr, let's add a few other long-range bombers to that list: Kenyon's John Rinka (who was mentioned previously) and the pint-size guard from Miami (OH), Phil Snow. I recently came upon this Phil Snow high school performance:
61 pts. Phil Snow, Sabina High vs. Blanchester High, 2/14/64 (27- 41 FG's, 7 FT)
Snow, who was 5'8" on a good day, scored most of his points from outside, as can be seen by the lower number of free throws he made in his 61-point performance.

Some of the players from yesteryear, when the game was more wide-open, would have scored LOTS more points if they could have benefited from the 3-point goal.

I'd be interested to see what other long-range bombers that our posters would mention who would have really benefited from the 3-Ball.

Keep the Ball Rollin'
Old 08-06-16, 10:51 AM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Bethere,

I think the answer that comes to mind first on who was guarding Austin Carr when he dropped 61 on the Ohio U. Bobcats in the 1970 NCAA tournament was "no one" was guarding him !

Officially though, OU's starting guards were John Canine and Ken Kowell and along with subs Gary Wolfe,Tom Corde and Larry Hunter those 5 guards all were responsible for Carr's output that day back in 1970.

What many don't realize was the fact those 61 points were before the 3 point play was in effect. Austin was 25 of 44 in fg's and 11 of 14 from the foul line.

One can only imagine what they would have averaged with the 3 point line.

Also sometime check out what Austin Carr "averaged" in NCAA tournament play.

JB
I was there at the UD Arena to witness Austin Carr's 61 points in 1970. I'll be the first to admit that I hardly remember any of it now...too many years ago.
Old 08-06-16, 11:59 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post
I was there at the UD Arena to witness Austin Carr's 61 points in 1970. I'll be the first to admit that I hardly remember any of it now...too many years ago.
BlackHawk - Here's a little something to refresh your memory:

ROCK ON
Old 08-06-16, 01:00 PM
All Ohio

Another that comes to mind:
Little Louie Dampier, who played at UK in the mid-60's. He was a 6' guard who had incredible range as well as accuracy from 20' and well beyond.
When he left UK, he was 3rd all-time in scoring, averaging 19.7 ppg for his career there.
Drafted by both the Cincinnati Royals AND the Kentucky Colonels, he opted for the Colonels (good choice, sadly for this Royals fan), where he had a great career in the ABA which had the 3-point shot. He played all 9 years that the ABA existed, then finished his career by spending 3 years with the SA Spurs in the NBA backing up George Gervin.
He was inducted into the Naismith Hall of Fame a couple of years ago. Not bad for a 6-footer.
Old 08-06-16, 02:36 PM
All Ohio

In addition to Maravich, Mount, and Murphy plus Austin Carr and Louie Dampier some other scoring guards from the pre-3 point era I would list these hoopsters. These guys were not afraid to shoot and could have pumped their collegiate averages even more with a 3 point line.

No rankings, just listed them alphabetically for the sake of a list. I am sure there are dozens more candidates not listed, but consider this a start.

Dave Bing - Syracuse
Doug Collins - Illinois St.
Ernie DiGregorio - Providence
Larry Finch - Memphis St.
Phil Ford - North Carolina
Robin Freeman - Ohio State
Richie Fuqua - Oral Roberts
Gail Goodrich - UCLA
Darrell Griffith - Louisville
Butch Komives - BG
Bo Lamar - SW Louisiana
Cazzie Russell - Michigan
Fly Williams - Austin Peay.

Since I ended my list with the Legendary James "Fly" Williams I'll close with a two part trivia question involving Fly Williams. Anybody wanting to take a stab at these 2 Fly Williams questions feel free and use Google or any other reference source, no restrictions apply.

1. In the 1973/74 season the 3 leading scorers in the country were Larry Fogle-Canisius, Bruce "Sky" King-Pan American, and Fly Williams-Austin Peay.
What was the common denominator for these 3 players ?

2. What was the famous or infamous cheer from the Austin Peay fans whenever Fly Williams had the ball in a close game ?

JB
Old 08-06-16, 03:16 PM
All World

Quote:

Since I ended my list with the Legendary James "Fly" Williams I'll close with a two part trivia question involving Fly Williams. Anybody wanting to take a stab at these 2 Fly Williams questions feel free and use Google or any other reference source, no restrictions apply.

1. In the 1973/74 season the 3 leading scorers in the country were Larry Fogle-Canisius, Bruce "Sky" King-Pan American, and Fly Williams-Austin Peay.

2. What was the famous or infamous cheer from the Austin Peay fans whenever Fly Williams had the ball in a close game ?

JB
Thanks "JB" for a great list of long-distance shooters. Also, Monclova Steve's mention of Louie Dampier is a great addition. Little Louie could really stroke it!

Great trivia questions by "JB", but I'm going to disqualify myself since I'm familiar with both. I had the opportunity to witness part of the famous "Fly Williams Cheer" up close and personal at Austin Peay. It was pretty wild and similar to the R-rated cheer that is used at Morehead State. Gotta love the OVC.

Keep the Ball Rollin'
Old 08-06-16, 03:29 PM
All Ohio

"The fly's open. Let's go Peay!"

One of the great ones (both the cheer as well as Fly)!

Nice topic, JB.
Old 08-06-16, 03:49 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monclova Steve View Post
"The fly's open. Let's go Peay!"

One of the great ones (both the cheer as well as Fly)!

Nice topic, JB.
Monclova Steve,

You are on the money with the Fly Williams cheer. Good job. I had a strong feeling that OWK probably knew both answers, ( is there anything he doesn't know ? ), but politely deferred to others. He mentioned that he had actually heard the cheer live which must have been cool, I've only read it in print and it leaves something to be desired having not witnessed it. Kind of like reading the lyrics to the top 10 songs and never hearing the tunes sung !

Still need question 1 answered by someone.

JB
Old 08-06-16, 03:54 PM
All Region

tomcat
Some adds to the list of outside shooters...most from my neck of the woods:
Morehead State - Granville Williams and Harold Sergent
UK - Kyle Macy, Ronnie Lyons
KY State - Travis Grant
Tallent brothers from Langley...played at George Washington
Old 08-06-16, 04:01 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
KY State - Travis Grant
tomcat - Good additions with some bombardiers from The Commonwealth. Kentucky Wesleyan used to have some guys that could really "light it up". Were there two or three Tallent brothers?

ROCK ON
Old 08-06-16, 04:14 PM
All Region

tomcat
There were 3 Tallent brothers...all played at GW
Bob was a member of the Rupp's Runts...then transferred to GW, later coached there
Mike was a teammate of Wally Szerbiak (sp) dad at GW
Pat was the best at GW...HoF
Old 08-06-16, 04:20 PM
All World

Quote:
There were 3 Tallent brothers...all played at GW
Bob was a member of the Rupp's Runts...then transferred to GW, later coached there
Mike was a teammate of Wally Szerbiak (sp) dad at GW
Pat was the best at GW...HoF
Thanks tomcat - I was familiar with Bob and Pat. Didn't know about Mike or his being a teammate of Wally Szczerbiak's dad.

Keep the Ball Rollin'
Old 08-06-16, 09:05 PM
All District

coldshoulder is on a distinguished road
Johnstown Benny Wrote:

All 3 players were born in Brooklyn, New York.
Old 08-06-16, 09:15 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldshoulder View Post
Johnstown Benny Wrote:

All 3 players were born in Brooklyn, New York.
coldshoulder,

Yes, all 3 of the leading scorers in the 73/74 college basketball season were from the Big Apple. Very good.

JB
Old 08-07-16, 11:30 PM
All World

Quote:
KY State - Travis Grant
tomcat's mention of the Tallent brothers got me thinking about another set of brothers from Kentucky. I couldn't remember the exact information, so I did a little research. As a result, I found the brothers that were scoring machines in Kentucky. The Stepps led Kentucky high schoolers in scoring during the following seasons: Joe ('71, '72), Jim ('78) and Ervin ('79, '80).

The youngest brother, Ervin Stepp, averaged 47.2 ppg ('79) and 53.7 ppg ('80). These brothers were all guards and needless to say, the 3-point line would have just inflated their already astronomical averages. Here's an article that I found about the "Stepp Brothers":
http://bluegrasspreps.com/ky-boys-ba...-a-187697.html

Keep the Ball Rollin'
Old 08-08-16, 07:56 AM
All Region

tomcat
In the 1970's, the Stepp brothers were great scorers...but overrated. Ervin played for his brother Joe at Phelps... went to EKU...transferred to Alice Lloyd - great high school scorer and Mr. Basketball...but overrated.
Old 08-09-16, 09:40 AM
All World

Here's another tough, yet obscure, trivia question:

I am a former Superintendent of Schools from SW Ohio who was picked ahead of Elgin Baylor in the NBA draft. Who Am I?

Keep the Ball Rollin'
Old 08-09-16, 10:17 AM
Cooling Off

Frank Underwood has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Guy Rogers. Had 20 something assists in Wilt's 100 pt game too
Old 08-09-16, 10:39 AM
Varsity

rdlwolverine is on a distinguished road
Here is a football-related question:
Which college is the only one to produce a US President, starting quarterback of a Super Bowl champion and US Speaker of the House?
Old 08-09-16, 11:23 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlwolverine View Post
Which college is the only one to produce a US President, starting quarterback of a Super Bowl champion and US Speaker of the House?
rdlwolverine - Good to see you on Yappi. I disqualify myself because my son (and your daughter) attended this school.

ROCK ON
Old 08-09-16, 11:25 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Underwood View Post
Guy Rogers. Had 20 something assists in Wilt's 100 pt game too
Sorry Frank Underwood - Guy Rodgers is a good guess, but incorrect. The correct answer was a superintendent of schools in SW Ohio.

Keep the Ball Rollin'
Old 08-09-16, 11:42 AM
Cooling Off

Rogers was the only player selected before Baylor.
Old 08-09-16, 11:46 AM
All World

Quote:
Rogers was the only player selected before Baylor.
Sorry, but the above statement is not true. Re-read the question, it's a little tricky. Also, it has to do with a SW Ohio resident and former player.

Keep the Ball Rollin'
Old 08-09-16, 12:04 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlwolverine View Post
Could that be the University of Michigan?
Old 08-09-16, 12:10 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Who Knows View Post
Sorry, but the above statement is not true. Re-read the question, it's a little tricky. Also, it has to do with a SW Ohio resident and former player.

Keep the Ball Rollin'
I'm sorry but the statement is true. Rogers went with the territorial pick and then Baylor went with the 1st pick in the 1st round.
Old 08-09-16, 12:14 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
I'm sorry but the statement is true. Rogers went with the territorial pick and then Baylor went 1st overall.
You are correct, Mr. Underwood.
Perhaps we're missing something. I'm sure OWK will gladly fill us in.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: