Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-18-17, 11:35 AM
All American

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Whataburger is okay. They have a ton of those down here.
Old 05-18-17, 11:38 AM
Fake coolin' off

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Turpin- have you been to backyard burgers (or something like that) in Lexington?
Old 05-18-17, 11:49 AM
All American

One time I thought it was just okay.

There are much better options. If you are ever at Keeneland down the road off of Versailles there is a place called Napa Prime that has some really good burgers. People from California started it. Very good. My wife usually would get like a lobster sandwich or something.
Old 05-18-17, 12:00 PM
Fake coolin' off

Napa Prime is good, but it's a real restaurant, menu reminds me of Gordo's in Norwood. I had a Lexington based beer called "Cougar Bait" made by Country Boy Brewery. Wasn't a great beer, but the name made me laugh. If I recall, they have a nice whiskey selection as well.
Old 05-18-17, 12:24 PM
All American

Used to work by Napa Prime off of Midway road and would go there quite a bit.

My wife likes Bru Burger quite a bit.
Old 05-18-17, 01:26 PM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Cookout is great. Southern chain down here. They have entrees for sides, and you get two of them lol
Old 05-18-17, 01:49 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
I don't get the Swenson's thing. It's just not a great burger. It's ok.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
For drive-thru's, though, Sonic is best.
I don't know if I have ever seen someone discredit themselves so thoroughly
Old 05-18-17, 03:43 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
I'll take Shake Shack any day over any of those. Swensons is better than any of them. I thought In-N-Out was a little overrated.
Old 05-18-17, 03:49 PM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
I like Five Guys, but the last few times I've been there, their burgers have been way too greasy and it's grossly overpriced. But, for this list, I can't fathom what it is they're calculating.

Is it standard burgers? The top of the line burgers they sell? What about places that don't cater just to burgers? Why not DQ? I love their Flamethrower burger. But, would that even be considered?

Plus, to be a burger joint, you have to be a drive-thru or drive-in. And to me, Five Guys doesn't qualify anymore than Red Robin would.

In places I've eaten (and the burger that is their signature or most well-known 'pure' burger):

Culvers (ButterBurger)
In-n-Out (Double Double)
Whataburger (Double with Cheese)
Checkers/Rallys (Double cheese)
Halo Burger (Detroit area chain, great burgers, a real surprise)
Backyard Burger (Good place)
Dairy Queen (FlameThrower for me, but even their standard is good, and it's cheap)
Steak n Shake (Steakburger)
Wendy's (Single Double or Triple, Baconator is the best though)
Burger King (Whopper, their burger patty tastes good, can't be said for their buns, though)
McDonalds (Quarter Pounder OR Big Mac, They're cheap. That's their only positive trait)
Old 05-18-17, 08:55 PM
All American

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
Cookout is great. Southern chain down here. They have entrees for sides, and you get two of them lol
Good shakes too. had it for the first time last month.
Old 05-18-17, 09:16 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Good shakes too. had it for the first time last month.
Was addicted to Cookout's BBQ sandwich, hushpuppies and strawberry shake meal for a long while. 2x per week. Decent dogs and a good, inexpensive BLT. And, the "drive-by" aroma is killer.
Old 05-19-17, 06:27 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
I don't get White Castle craze. I liked White Tower butter bacon burgers with a big slab of onion. Ma'd occasionally wake me up with a Burger, Onion Rings and Malt when she came home from work. Good kid memories.

I like Kewpees. Fast food depends upon mood. Tried Five Guys, wouldn't drive across town for it. Rally's is cheap, it's got that. B-King, Wendies, McD have raised prices so much, the local diner is competitive and MUCH better.

Hey IB, was recommended a place, turned out real good. You been to KT's Diner on Suder (plaza at Benore)? No? You should. Great burgers. 1lb and good helping of onion rings about $8.50. She even has an option where she tells you what you want to eat. Everything is about 8 bucks, I think she just makes it up as she goes.

Might not want to take young ones first time, owner and customers aren't shy of swearing. Seems more an Eastside place that a PP place.
Old 05-19-17, 06:48 AM
All Yappi

PantherProud
Rally's fries are the bomb, it's a shame their burgers aren't better.

Plus the one by us, just has horrible service.
Old 05-19-17, 06:54 AM
All Yappi

tallmadge H2 dad will become famous soon enough
There's a place here in the Akron area called Hamburger Station. You get burgers by the dozen loaded with fresh cut onions, mustard and pickles, and the buns are dipped in the grill grease before getting loaded up. I'm not sure if I'd go so far as to say these are "great" burgers, but every so often (about 3 times a year) I get in a mood to kill some burgers from there.
They also make fresh cut and battered giant onion rings and freshly cut fries. But the best thing there is their gyro. If you are ever in the Akron area, it's worth a try. There used to be many of these, but I only know of 3 now...one in Ellet, one in the Falls/Northampton area, and one in the Portage Lakes area.
Old 05-19-17, 06:55 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
I don't get White Castle craze. I liked White Tower butter bacon burgers with a big slab of onion. Ma'd occasionally wake me up with a Burger, Onion Rings and Malt when she came home from work. Good kid memories.

I like Kewpees. Fast food depends upon mood. Tried Five Guys, wouldn't drive across town for it. Rally's is cheap, it's got that. B-King, Wendies, McD have raised prices so much, the local diner is competitive and MUCH better.

Hey IB, was recommended a place, turned out real good. You been to KT's Diner on Suder (plaza at Benore)? No? You should. Great burgers. 1lb and good helping of onion rings about $8.50. She even has an option where she tells you what you want to eat. Everything is about 8 bucks, I think she just makes it up as she goes.

Might not want to take young ones first time, owner and customers aren't shy of swearing. Seems more an Eastside place that a PP place.
I hadn't been to White Castle in likely 20+ years and we went after a concert a few months ago and couldn't believe how much the prices seemed to have raised. I recall even the basic burger being absolutely dirt cheap!

Like me some Kewpee..was always the best part about going to watch a game in Lima.

A place locally, Ctown wings in Celina Ohio, has some absolutely fantastic 3/4lb burgers on a wood fire grill!

I like 5 guys burgers. Closest one I know of is close to 2 hours away though.
Old 05-19-17, 07:09 AM
Fake coolin' off

There are two things I can't eat anywhere but Chicago: gyros and loaded Chicago-style hotdogs. I went to grad school with one of the Tomaras family, who own Kronos Foods, which supplies 95% of the gyro "meat cones" in the United States and that family can put together a Greek feast. My favorite gyro spots are Gyro Mena in Lake View and Parkside Gyros in Evanston.
Old 05-19-17, 07:18 AM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
The thing is I can make my own burger that tastes as good or better then the best you can buy at a restaurant.

Take high quality beef and mix into it spicy Italian sausage at a ratio of about 10 parts beef to 1 part spicy Italian sausage. Make half pound patties from the mix and add a little salt & pepper. Cook on a gas grill under LOW heat for 5 minutes per side (keep the lid down), flipping ONLY ONCE. Add two slices of Provolone cheese per patty, close the lid, turn the heat to HIGH and cook until the cheese is beginning to melt (about a minute). Place on a high quality bun and add some Montgomery Inn barbecue sauce over the cheese covered patty.
Old 05-19-17, 07:29 AM
All Yappi

tallmadge H2 dad will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
The thing is I can make my own burger that tastes as good or better then the best you can buy at a restaurant.

Take high quality beef and mix into it spicy Italian sausage at a ratio of about 10 parts beef to 1 part spicy Italian sausage. Make half pound patties from the mix and add a little salt & pepper. Cook on a gas grill under LOW heat for 5 minutes per side (keep the lid down), flipping ONLY ONCE. Add two slices of Provolone cheese per patty, close the lid, turn the heat to HIGH and cook until the cheese is beginning to melt (about a minute). Place on a high quality bun and add some Montgomery Inn barbecue sauce over the cheese covered patty.
Ok...I'll take 2 please!!
Old 05-19-17, 07:42 AM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post

This is the key to making a good grilled burger.

Same with steak too in my book. Except you raise the heat to medium
Old 05-19-17, 08:21 AM
All Region

scbuckeye99 is on a distinguished road
five guys = severely overrated. went to my first five guys back in 2009 maybe, went to a few others after that, but haven't been back to one since 2011. there is even one down the street from me so it's not like its tough for me to get to, i just have zero desire to eat there.

again very overrated
Old 05-19-17, 08:24 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Now that we are talking local places the best burger in NEO is at The Academy Tavern on Larchmere. The difference with them is they ground the beef daily and use a broiler that has been around forever and it is seasoned just right.
Old 05-19-17, 09:31 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
There are two things I can't eat anywhere but Chicago: gyros and loaded Chicago-style hotdogs. I went to grad school with one of the Tomaras family, who own Kronos Foods, which supplies 95% of the gyro "meat cones" in the United States and that family can put together a Greek feast. My favorite gyro spots are Gyro Mena in Lake View and Parkside Gyros in Evanston.
I thought Sebastian's was the best gyro ever according to west siders?
Old 05-19-17, 10:19 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
There are two things I can't eat anywhere but Chicago: gyros and loaded Chicago-style hotdogs.

I realize I did not know what a hot dog could be. Absolutely lived up to billing. Now there's a copy-cat in every corner of every town but they're still not the same to me without the Chicago atmosphere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
Now that we are talking local places the best burger in NEO is at The Academy Tavern on Larchmere. The difference with them is they ground the beef daily and use a broiler that has been around forever and it is seasoned just right.
Thanks, put it on my list, hoping to spend some days in Cleveland June.
Old 05-19-17, 10:28 AM
Fake coolin' off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
I thought Sebastian's was the best gyro ever according to west siders?
It's decent, but not as good.
Old 05-19-17, 10:42 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Best gyro I have had was at a Turkish restaurant, (they call it doner) in NYC; only problem is it is one of those places that only makes X amount a day and when it is gone it is gone. Talked to the server and it is actually easy to make on premise and he doesn't get all these cheap Greek places that buy the Kronos stuff. The key is to use good cuts of meat that have just the right amount of fat so that as it spins in the cooker it always gets a nice crust as it is sliced off. Too much fat and it is greasy, not enough and it is rubbery.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: