Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-16-17, 09:39 AM
Junior Varsity

huskerdoc is on a distinguished road
MMA Short/ Fitted Shirt coming to a mat near you?

I know this has been approved at the national level. Will this get approved in Ohio? Thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-17, 09:44 AM
Varsity

DudeEtude is on a distinguished road
Game changer. I think this could really help boost participation. There are many good athletes who refuse to try the sport in HS because they don't want to wear the singlet.
Old 05-16-17, 09:53 AM
All World

Lambeau Fields is on a distinguished road
This will be the day remembered as the Day the Forfeit Died.

From hence forward...

Every entry grid will be full!

Every dual will be awesome!

Every gym will be packed!

Football coaches will curse the day the NFHSA killed the singlet, for it was the day that wrestling replaced football as the number one spectator sport.

Kyle Snyder will become 'just another wrestler' because there are literally tens of thousands of Kyle Snyders walking the high schools who are now liberated by the death of the singlet!
Old 05-16-17, 10:38 AM
All American

Whizzer King is on a distinguished road
I have full confidence that the 2 piece wrestling uniform will help kids practice harder and make the sport "easier"... Fat kids will harness a new era of confidence.
Old 05-16-17, 10:42 AM
Junior Varsity

huskerdoc is on a distinguished road
Good stuff already. Love it. As a middle school coach I think I may get a few more out. My real question is will it be approved in Ohio next year?
Old 05-16-17, 11:29 AM
Freshman

wilsgon22 is on a distinguished road
I'm def going to order some of these. I don't like them, but alot of the kids I have talked to would rather have them over a traditional singlet. We struggle to fill a lineup so I'm willing to try just about anything.
Old 05-16-17, 11:40 AM
All Ohio

chidy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerdoc View Post
Good stuff already. Love it. As a middle school coach I think I may get a few more out. My real question is will it be approved in Ohio next year?
Yes. Ohio will approve. This was discussed in a previous thread
Old 05-16-17, 11:40 AM
Freshman

Bayside is on a distinguished road
If we get just 1 kid isn't it worth the thousands of dollars the clothing companies will make!
Do it for the children.
Old 05-16-17, 12:53 PM
Freshman

berg is on a distinguished road
What about when a kid gets his shorts pulled down to his ankles while his opponents double leg starts to slide down low. Or when the form fitting shirt rides up and a heavyweight's gut is out and he is more focused on pulling his shirt back down rather than wrestling. Pros and cons are pretty even in my mind for keeping the singlet vs. shorts and shirt.
Old 05-16-17, 09:07 PM
Junior Varsity

Cjlewis01 is on a distinguished road
Seriously... lots of conplaints. I think it looks cleaner and more professional. Plus i dont hate the ifea that more skin is covered. I don't think it brings in more than 5 percent, but an increase is an increase. Also I've been doing mma, bjj, in addition to wrestling. I can't think of an issue I've seen in nogi tournaments with guts or butts. Lol. Just make sure the compression shirt is longer (usually they are) and it's tucked in and the shorts are tied.
Old 05-17-17, 12:23 AM
Freshman

mslyman is on a distinguished road
Personally I'm against the shorts and compression shirt at the high school level. Sure it might bring in another kid or two here and there but if you're not willing to wear a singlet then are you really a wrestler? It takes different mindset than most high school kids to be successful at wrestling and if you're willing to let a singlet hold you back then I think you'll let a lot of other excuses pop up too.

That being said however, I am a huge fan of it at the middle school and under age groups for getting kids started in the sport. I think at the younger age groups it will definitely foster a growth in numbers. Then once you get to high school and start "wrestling with the big boys" then wear a singlet. I think it's a trademark of the sport that shouldn't be lost.
Old 05-17-17, 08:05 AM
All District

iGranby is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mslyman View Post
Personally I'm against the shorts and compression shirt at the high school level. Sure it might bring in another kid or two here and there but if you're not willing to wear a singlet then are you really a wrestler? It takes different mindset than most high school kids to be successful at wrestling and if you're willing to let a singlet hold you back then I think you'll let a lot of other excuses pop up too.

That being said however, I am a huge fan of it at the middle school and under age groups for getting kids started in the sport. I think at the younger age groups it will definitely foster a growth in numbers. Then once you get to high school and start "wrestling with the big boys" then wear a singlet. I think it's a trademark of the sport that shouldn't be lost.
I dont agree with you fully (I think it should be at least an option at all levels) but I do agree the younger the age group the more it will help with "growing numbers". I also can understand the sentiment of the singlet being a trademark or the sport.

I grew up in a singlet - and I hated it. I wore it because I had to, but if I was given the option I most certainly would have worn the two piece from the time I started in 2nd grade to college. I don't think because someone dislikes the uniform it automatically makes them any less equipped to be successful in the sport. I do think there are cool singlet designs and everything, and its not like the singlet is the worst thing in the world - I just think it's time the sport start to evolve in this particular aspect.
Old 05-17-17, 08:58 AM
All World

Suplexer130
Quote:
Originally Posted by berg View Post
What about when a kid gets his shorts pulled down to his ankles while his opponents double leg starts to slide down low.
They have used fight shorts in No Gi Jiu Jitsu for a long time now, and it really isn't a problem. These shorts are designed to have a tie off along with velcro to secure the tie off. They also aren't the type of shorts with elastic waistbands that wrestlers commonly practice in that allow them to slide over the hips. Considering you have to wear a tight fitting under garments under them I am going to guess many will wear compression shorts under them anyways.

As far as a wardrobe malfunction worry goes, it is no riskier than a singlet splitting or being able to see through some of the white singlets teams wear.