Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-11-17, 07:01 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Snapchat versus Instagram?

Personally, I don't get on either of these apps but have been hearing quite a bit about the battle between the two and the struggles that Snapchat is suffering through with their stock price.

Do you use either of these? Which do you prefer? If you've switched in the last year, which did you switch to? Snapchat to Instagram or Instagram to Snapchat?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-17, 07:26 PM
All Ohio

Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
They don't really serve the same need. Snapchat is for stuff you want to show to only specific people. Instagram is for stuff you want to publicize for the world to see. I have both. Infrequent user of Instagram. Snapchat is basically just to receive nudes.
Old 05-11-17, 07:38 PM
All District

simkon is on a distinguished road
I have both.
I have snapchat mostly for friends to send me random pics, while I rarely send anything.
I will post one or two pics a month on average on instagram and also look at friends photos about once a month just whatever it happens to show in the feed.

I use snapchat to send something to specific people though but I only do so probably once every 3-4 months.

I am sure teens probably use both a ton.
Old 05-11-17, 08:02 PM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Used to have snapchat. Instagram just seems like a complete waste of time.
Old 05-11-17, 08:15 PM
All Yappi

tallmadge H2 dad will become famous soon enough
What the hell are Snapchat and instagram?
Old 05-11-17, 08:19 PM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Neither
Old 05-11-17, 08:42 PM
All Yappi

fish82 will become famous soon enough
Neither. Getting pretty tired of social media in general.
Old 05-11-17, 09:40 PM
All World

Sykotyk is on a distinguished road
I signed up for both, but don't use either. Instagram's primary purpose is for young women to flaunt their bodies to a wide audience. Snapchat is to flaunt their bodies to a small audience.

That's about the difference. I use twitter. It's easier to disseminate information via Twitter, and both video and pictures can be sent and easily retweeted and commented on as a running conversation rather than as threaded-comments only available in that particular picture.

I can't see how either Snapchat or Instagram are profitable when Twitter itself has yet to become profitable.
Old 05-11-17, 09:43 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Neither. Am considering taking up photography when I retire - if not before then - and will consider using one or both then. Have not visited either site.

Recently visited Pinterest for the first time when a Google search took me there. Set up an account and now get two-three emails per day from it. LOL Saw the Tumblr link in the Yahoo menu a day or two ago and took a quick look at it.

Last edited by EagleGuy; 05-11-17 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Spelled "there" instead of "their". ???
Old 05-11-17, 09:46 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleGuy View Post
Neither. Am considering taking up photography when I retire - if not before then - and will consider using one or both then. Have not visited either site.

Recently visited Pinterest for the first time when a Google search took me their. Set up an account and now get two-three emails per day from it. LOL Saw the Tumblr link in the Yahoo menu a day or two ago and took a quick look at it.
Instagram is not for photography. If you want to post photos online, use Facebook to share with friends, or setup a Flickr account or something to post to a wider audience and you can link them. Flickr isn't a 'community' the way the SC and Instagram are, but it's a good repository for photographs and easily searchable if you tag them properly. There is tumblr, but that's a blog more than a photo collection.
Old 05-11-17, 09:54 PM
All Ohio

Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykotyk View Post
Instagram is not for photography. If you want to post photos online, use Facebook to share with friends, or setup a Flickr account or something to post to a wider audience and you can link them.
This is terrible advice.
Old 05-11-17, 10:07 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallmadge H2 dad View Post
What the hell are Snapchat and instagram?
snapchat has these stupid "cartoonify" features where you can put dog ears and a dog nose on your selfie, among other things. Stupid as hell.
Old 05-11-17, 10:11 PM
All American

Quote:
Instagram is not for photography. If you want to post photos online, use Facebook to share with friends, or setup a Flickr account or something to post to a wider audience and you can link them. Flickr isn't a 'community' the way the SC and Instagram are, but it's a good repository for photographs and easily searchable if you tag them properly. There is tumblr, but that's a blog more than a photo collection.
Between my post and yours, it shows how much I know about the various sites. Not much. I may have confused Instragram with Flickr. (I usually check before posting! ) Although I have a Facebook account, I do not plan to use it. (Another story.) Yes, I saw Tumblr is a blog site.
Old 05-11-17, 11:28 PM
All American

SportsGenius is on a distinguished road
Quote:
This is so off base. IG is perfect for photography
Old 05-12-17, 12:10 AM
All American

Well, now I've gone to the Instagram and Flickr sites. Looks like both are designed for photographs. Considering my artistic ability, I imagine it will be a long time before I feel comfortable posting any pics I take!
Old 05-12-17, 12:22 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsGenius View Post
This is so off base. IG is perfect for photography
Not really. The only thing anyone can do is 'like' or comment. There is no ability to control rights management, add to archives of other users to spread your work around. Show exif data of what camera you used, what settings, etc. Like you can with Flickr.

You can geotag your pictures so they can be found via many different methods. You can add them to albums, collections, slideshows, etc. You can post much larger image sizes (Instagram naturally cuts the file down to much smaller canvas sizes). You also cannot sell copies.

For someone that 'wants to get into photography', suggesting instagram would be like suggesting Twitter to an aspiring author.
Old 05-12-17, 03:42 AM
All Ohio

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Instagram is for booty pics
Snapchat is for less clothes
Facebook pictures are for relatives
Old 05-12-17, 05:02 AM
Fake coolin' off

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
What about Weibo? Any weibo users out there?
Old 05-12-17, 07:51 AM
All Yappi

BobcatBomber is an unknown quantity at this point
Bearcatsnaps

/thread
Old 05-12-17, 08:43 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
I have both and use them a lot to communicate with my College age kids, here is my $1 breakdown of the apps:

Instagram is basically Facebook for the under 22 crowd without clunkiness of that site, just pictures and comments. Key feature is the like button; comments section is usually written in some kind of internet slang to work around the folks. At the HS level number of likes = how cool you are. From a business perspective I see no way to really make any decent $s with this platform since the target market is harder to find do to the lack of more info other than pictures.

Snapchat is basically texting with pictures that disappear after a couple seconds. It is a way to communicate to individuals in a quick easy manner what is going on at that point in your life. (Me at the ball game, me with friends at the club, piece of fruit at the store that looks like someone at school, etc...) Nobody cool does the stupid filters the service provides, they are for the parents and Junior High set. There is also a story section that allows you to collect the various images, usually around a theme or an event, to show those that know you what this thing was like. This is where Snap is trying to make $s, they have large media companies doing stories around events or in the case of news organizations editorial takes in a stylized manner to target the early 20 somethings. So far it is not making any $s but many on Wall Street think they will eventually. You see a teaser of something interesting on Snap so you go to the web site to investigate further. The tabloids are loving this and are by far the most popular media outlets on Snap>

They are trying to get guys sucked in by making each game an "event" and collecting images from fans into a story and dropping sponsor names into the banners used to stamp the event>

Problem with Instagram is that when the NY Times starts to be a player on a platform it might be time for the younger crowd to move on.
Old 05-12-17, 08:55 AM
All Yappi

OhioBobcatFan06 is on a distinguished road
Personally, I find the most value from Twitter. Like Sykotyk said, it's the best to disseminate information easily. Especially sports and business news which is what two of my biggest interests are. However, as Facebook showed me, what I find most valuable isn't indicative of what'll make the best business.

I have both Snap and IG. Like most guys my age, I'm there mostly because girls are there, but it's more complex than that.
I think the negative outlook on IG is misguided. Mark Zuckerberg is going to print money off that thing. Yeah, a lot of it is pictures of girls but photography is taking off. It doesn't have the advanced photography features Sykotyk mentioned but your average person doesn't care about that. That site is perfect for your average person who wants to show off their photos of stuff that interests them.
Snap has potential, but it's got a longer ways to go. It's got a lower floor than Twitter.
Old 05-12-17, 09:18 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
I agree that Twitter is the best app for disseminating information, to me it is the Readers Digest of news organizations and where I go to see what is happening in the world and click links to go deeper. Also it is the best way to see running commentary on an event but it is limited when it comes to personal interaction and the under 22 set really doesn't use it to communicate with each other.
Old 05-12-17, 10:37 AM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Snapchat has consistently outpaced instagram and some others recently in terms of innovation. Everyone else seems to be playing catch-up
Old 05-16-17, 11:32 AM
Fake coolin' off

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
What about Weibo? Any weibo users out there?
FYI. Weibo stock up >20% on blowout earnings this morning.
Old 05-16-17, 07:06 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
Snapchat has consistently outpaced instagram and some others recently in terms of innovation. Everyone else seems to be playing catch-up
Instagram got caught in the crossroads while everything else happened around them. They started as a platform FOR putting pics on Twitter because at the time linking pics wasn't as commonplace or easy as it is now. And until Facebook bought them, they were highly integrated into Twitter. For instance, one post to Instagram would automatically show the same picture on your associated profile in Twitter. Now, it doesn't. Snapchat, meanwhile, became something of a picture-based AIM/ICQ/etc type format, where Instagram is still ran similar to Twitter's micro-blogging format with heavy emphasis on pictures.

It just fails to gain a foothold and makes sense why Snapchat is taking over. It does two things: picture micro-blogging via all the filters and formats you can do, with the stories, etc, AND the one-on-one communication that all other social media platforms HAVE but aren't really catered to as it's primary function. DMs in Twitter or Facebook Messenger may be used, but they're not the reason you're there. For Snapchat, that is the reason they're there.
Old 05-17-17, 07:00 AM
All Ohio

Taco MacArthur is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Instagram got caught in the crossroads while everything else happened around them. They started as a platform FOR putting pics on Twitter because at the time linking pics wasn't as commonplace or easy as it is now. And until Facebook bought them, they were highly integrated into Twitter. For instance, one post to Instagram would automatically show the same picture on your associated profile in Twitter. Now, it doesn't. Snapchat, meanwhile, became something of a picture-based AIM/ICQ/etc type format, where Instagram is still ran similar to Twitter's micro-blogging format with heavy emphasis on pictures.

It just fails to gain a foothold and makes sense why Snapchat is taking over. It does two things: picture micro-blogging via all the filters and formats you can do, with the stories, etc, AND the one-on-one communication that all other social media platforms HAVE but aren't really catered to as it's primary function. DMs in Twitter or Facebook Messenger may be used, but they're not the reason you're there. For Snapchat, that is the reason they're there.
You had to choose to do that. And you still have that option.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: