Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-11-17, 09:50 AM
All American

WinstonSmith is on a distinguished road
Sure, but frats host most of the super big parties. Supply alcohol much more often, and in higher quantities, than most non-frat parties as well.

I mean, really, EP? This is far from the first horrific story related to frats across the country.
Old 05-11-17, 09:55 AM
Fake coolin' off

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Miami had several people hospitalized at one non-frat party a couple months ago. They even had a student die in a dorm due to drinking. I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised to see something like this at any college party.
Old 05-11-17, 09:56 AM
All American

Nor would I, but the probability of it happening at a frat is much higher.
Old 05-11-17, 09:58 AM
Fake coolin' off

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
Nor would I, but the probability of it happening at a frat is much higher.
That's based on nothing other than your bias.
Old 05-11-17, 10:05 AM
All Yappi

CatAlum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
I have never let another human being die in front of my eyes because of my selfishness. No.
Well, that wasn't my question, but I appreciate why my question makes you uncomfortable.

The details are important in every case. In this one...how would a jury perceive his ingestion of alcohol? Forced upon him or a free will decision to drink? How would a jury apply their own life experiences with alcohol to the decision to delay (for so long) in calling 911? How important is it that the student didn't die until about 36 hours after being taken to the hospital? What is the distinction between failing to help (not a crime) and putting someone in the fatal condition (being actively involved in getting them drunk, assaulting them, etc.)?

I did a lot of stupid, careless things at that age. I drove carfuls of people when I was highly intox...makes me a lowlife, I guess.

It's the human condition. Their behavior, regardless of legalities...the indifference requires a serious law enforcement response. The problem with these comments I read is that most of you seem to think this kind of thing would never happen on your watch when you were 20 and drunk.
Old 05-11-17, 10:06 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Miami had several people hospitalized at one non-frat party a couple months ago. They even had a student die in a dorm due to drinking. I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised to see something like this at any college party.
Exactly. The reality of our lives can be shocking/upsetting, but let's not pretend like it's so extraordinarily unique.
Old 05-11-17, 10:16 AM
All World

Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm not taking a stance against Frats, just these idiots. Seeing someone turn gray, that's the kind of thing you see in horror films. No idea how you can just ignore that.
Old 05-11-17, 10:17 AM
Fake coolin' off

I don't think anyone is ignoring or excusing it. It's beyond reprehensible.
Old 05-11-17, 10:28 AM
All American

Quote:
That's based on nothing other than your bias.
If you tried to deny that, you'd be showing your bias much more clearly than any bias I have.
Old 05-11-17, 10:43 AM
All American

Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatAlum View Post
Well, that wasn't my question, but I appreciate why my question makes you uncomfortable.
I don't think possession of drugs is equivalent to letting another human being die because you're scared of getting in trouble. So I ignored you trying to equate them.

Quote:
I did a lot of stupid, careless things at that age. I drove carfuls of people when I was highly intox...makes me a lowlife, I guess.
I wouldn't say that. But your desire to defend people like this and Brock Turner(Stanford swimmer rapist) by saying...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatAlum View Post
Sounds like garden variety college boy behavior.
speaks volumes

Quote:
The problem with these comments I read is that most of you seem to think this kind of thing would never happen on your watch when you were 20 and drunk.
I can safely say if a group of my friends were watching one of us clearly die in front of our eyes, our first thought wouldn't be to weigh the merits of saving their life vs. the consequences we may face, drunk or not. Sorry if that doesn't line up with the assumptions you make about how you/your kids would behave in the same situation.
Old 05-11-17, 10:47 AM
Fake coolin' off

Quote:
If you tried to deny that, you'd be showing your bias much more clearly than any bias I have.
If you'd give some evidence to support your claim, I wouldn't deny it. Since neither of us have such data, assuming one it is more likely to occur in either setting is based in bias.
Old 05-11-17, 11:24 AM
All American

Bias or experience? I imagine I could dig up evidence to support my claim, but I don't have the time or care enough TBH.
Old 05-11-17, 11:38 AM
Fake coolin' off

Quote:
Bias or experience? I imagine I could dig up evidence to support my claim, but I don't have the time or care enough TBH.
Making a claim on anecdotal experience is bias.
Old 05-11-17, 11:46 AM
All American

You're right, I should change my original statement. Based on the environments within most frats, a reasonable person would conclude that this sort of accident is much more likely to happen at a frat.

The problem with my original statement is that because we're talking about actual death, the number of occurrences are likely so small that there's probably not much factual data to back it up.
Old 05-11-17, 11:50 AM
Fake coolin' off

okay, neither of our opinions really matter.
Old 05-11-17, 12:12 PM
All Yappi

fish82 will become famous soon enough
Any party hosted at an off-campus non-greek house is probably going to be more out of hand than most frat parties, more often than not.
Old 05-11-17, 12:23 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I don't think possession of drugs is equivalent to letting another human being die because you're scared of getting in trouble. So I ignored you trying to equate them.

I wouldn't say that. But your desire to defend people like this and Brock Turner(Stanford swimmer rapist) by saying...

speaks volumes

I can safely say if a group of my friends were watching one of us clearly die in front of our eyes, our first thought wouldn't be to weigh the merits of saving their life vs. the consequences we may face, drunk or not. Sorry if that doesn't line up with the assumptions you make about how you/your kids would behave in the same situation.
Thanks for giving me a chance to re-read the Stanford rape case thread. Thought it was some of my best stuff. Kudos to you for taking that comment out of context and attaching it to the actual rape.

http://yappi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291897
Old 05-11-17, 12:26 PM
All American

Quote:
okay, neither of our opinions really matter.
Agreed.
Old 05-11-17, 12:29 PM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
It's a sad situation. One life lost. Multiple lives likely ruined or severely damaged because of everything that happened that night. Lots of potential lost there. A few different decisions here and there could have changed the outcome for the better.

Where I went to school, one of the rival fraternities had a pledge get paralyzed from the neck down as a result of their pledge activities one night. What they are doing seemed harmless. It had rained and their house was on a hill. They were sliding down the hill in the mud. One tried to go down head first. Alcohol was definitely involved. Maybe other things knowing this fraternity. I read where he passed away a couple of years ago.
Old 05-11-17, 03:08 PM
All Yappi

MontetheCarlo is on a distinguished road
The poor kid probably pledged on the promise of lifelong brotherhood. Then his "brothers" sat back and watched him die in the name of self preservation.
Old 05-11-17, 03:21 PM
All American

CatAlum hates Lebron despite being a model citizen. Writes paragraphs defending a college swimmer who sexually assaulted a girl and a fraternity who allowed one of their members to slowly die in front of them.
Old 05-11-17, 05:33 PM
Fake coolin' off

Quote:
CatAlum hates Lebron despite being a model citizen. Writes paragraphs defending a college swimmer who sexually assaulted a girl and a fraternity who allowed one of their members to slowly die in front of them.
Weirdo is going to be angry you are trying to take his role as yappi biographer.
Old 05-11-17, 05:56 PM
All District

domi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
It's a sad situation. One life lost. Multiple lives likely ruined or severely damaged because of everything that happened that night. Lots of potential lost there. A few different decisions here and there could have changed the outcome for the better.

Where I went to school, one of the rival fraternities had a pledge get paralyzed from the neck down as a result of their pledge activities one night. What they are doing seemed harmless. It had rained and their house was on a hill. They were sliding down the hill in the mud. One tried to go down head first. Alcohol was definitely involved. Maybe other things knowing this fraternity. I read where he passed away a couple of years ago.
Accidents happen no matter if it's a frat or not. But I would bet the frat you are referring to didn't leave him laying on the hill for half a day or pile weight on him. That's no accident.
Old 05-11-17, 08:49 PM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by domi View Post
Accidents happen no matter if it's a frat or not. But I would bet the frat you are referring to didn't leave him laying on the hill for half a day or pile weight on him. That's no accident.
You're right. Accidents happen everywhere at anytime.

The fraternity in my story did the right thing...got him help right away. Even made accommodations in their house (wasn't wheelchair accessible) so he could still be a member.
We were a dry campus so I am sure some people were cleaning up around the house too as I don't recall any penalties that were due to alcohol. Of course, it has been nearly 30 years too.
Old 05-12-17, 06:50 AM
All American

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Why is CatAlum always completely off in high profile death cases?
Old 05-12-17, 07:07 AM
All American

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Remember Tony Stewart
Old 05-12-17, 07:58 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Why is CatAlum always completely off in high profile death cases?
It's very odd.
Old 05-12-17, 08:30 AM
All American

Must be a terrible attorney. Explains why he's been unable to move up from NE Ohio his entire legal career.
Old 05-12-17, 08:55 AM
All American

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Plausible. He didn't, for example, know the difference between being arrested and going to jail.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: