Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-08-17, 02:26 PM
All Region

Vike16 is on a distinguished road
Middletown Middies New Arena

Click image for larger version

Name:	Middletown_High-School6.jpg
Views:	1907
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	1621

New Middletown Middies arena
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-17, 08:59 PM
All Region

I'm sorry I meant to title this Middletown Middies New Arena. What do you think of the rendering
Old 05-08-17, 09:15 PM
Varsity

HardCorps is on a distinguished road
That is terrible. Wade E. Miller is in a class by itself. I have seen so many great games, teams, players there. When the place is packed, the pep band is blaring, and two great teams are fighting it out, it does not get any better than that. The "Middie Magic" may be hard to find in this new space.
Old 05-08-17, 09:43 PM
All American

oxat622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vike16 View Post
Attachment 1621

Okay.
Old 05-08-17, 11:06 PM
All World

Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Attachment 1621

Did they just take a picture of the Hamilton gym and change the colors to purple?
Old 05-09-17, 06:49 AM
All District

sprtsfan247 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly_Cat View Post
Did they just take a picture of the Hamilton gym and change the colors to purple?
When I saw this picture I thought the same thing. However, to be fair, this is the basic model for HS gyms that was an arena type setting. I have seen the "bowl" type setting but in smaller forms. Zanesville is this way, Hamilton, but I have also seen a few gyms in Indiana that are the same exact setup. I think it is probably the best, most cost-effective way to give a "big time" gym type feel. If they wanted something that was more unique I think they may have had to break the bank.
Old 05-09-17, 06:55 AM
All District

sprtsfan247 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCorps View Post
That is terrible. Wade E. Miller is in a class by itself. I have seen so many great games, teams, players there. When the place is packed, the pep band is blaring, and two great teams are fighting it out, it does not get any better than that. The "Middie Magic" may be hard to find in this new space.
While I have not been the M-town game in a long time. I will chime in and say this. I believed the same thing with St. John Arena. I think OSU would have been better (specifically for basketball) to have gutted and revamped St. John Arena. It would have created a better atmosphere. I know that the Schott is home to other events such as concerts etc. and that creates revenue for OSU, but it hurt the basketball program in my opinion. Look at Duke. One of the smaller arenas in the country but an extremely tough place to play. Sometimes the lure of new, and good looking is more important than a great atmosphere.
Old 05-09-17, 07:18 AM
All Region

Out of the newer GMC gymnasiums I thought Hamilton did great with the field house look. Princeton's gym is great just needed more in-zone seating and better lighting. We still have to wait to fully judge Middletown's gym
Old 05-09-17, 11:57 AM
GO MIDDIES

Middie 85 Alum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The Miller was a great place to watch basketball, but there was plenty of Middie Magic when they played games at the Paul Walker Gym and that gym is not even close to being as nice as the new arena will be. It has more to do with the players and fans then the gym itself. I am still wondering how much parking will be available with the new Middle School being there. I haven' t seen a whole rendering showing all the parking. Maybe they are adding more in the back of the school. As another poster said the cost to build a newer version of the Miller would have broke the budget and it was hard enough to get the levy passed.
Old 05-09-17, 01:44 PM
All World

Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Out of the newer GMC gymnasiums I thought Hamilton did great with the field house look. Princeton's gym is great just needed more in-zone seating and better lighting. We still have to wait to fully judge Middletown's gym
I'm glad you pointed that out about Princeton. I like everything about that gym, except the lighting seems slightly off. Feels dark or with a grey overtone. Messes with my eyes lol
Old 05-09-17, 02:30 PM
Junior Varsity

Justice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsfan247 View Post
When I saw this picture I thought the same thing. However, to be fair, this is the basic model for HS gyms that was an arena type setting. I have seen the "bowl" type setting but in smaller forms. Zanesville is this way, Hamilton, but I have also seen a few gyms in Indiana that are the same exact setup. I think it is probably the best, most cost-effective way to give a "big time" gym type feel. If they wanted something that was more unique I think they may have had to break the bank.
Or renovated " The Wade E. Miller "
Old 05-09-17, 02:32 PM
Junior Varsity

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsfan247 View Post
while i have not been the m-town game in a long time. I will chime in and say this. I believed the same thing with st. John arena. I think osu would have been better (specifically for basketball) to have gutted and revamped st. John arena. It would have created a better atmosphere. I know that the schott is home to other events such as concerts etc. And that creates revenue for osu, but it hurt the basketball program in my opinion. Look at duke. One of the smaller arenas in the country but an extremely tough place to play. Sometimes the lure of new, and good looking is more important than a great atmosphere.
+1
Old 05-09-17, 07:06 PM
GO MIDDIES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice View Post
Or renovated " The Wade E. Miller "
Why would the school district throw money into renovating the gym where the building was falling apart? It made more sense to help pay for the new gym and renovated high school with the millions the state was kicking in which they were not going to get on renovating the old gym.
Old 05-10-17, 06:02 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly_Cat View Post
I'm glad you pointed that out about Princeton. I like everything about that gym, except the lighting seems slightly off. Feels dark or with a grey overtone. Messes with my eyes lol

Its weird because I went to the Colerain game and it was real dark and grey. I also went to the Oak Hills game and it was bright for all the cameras. Bigger the game the brighter the lights I guess
Old 05-10-17, 07:19 AM
All World

coolguy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Its weird because I went to the Colerain game and it was real dark and grey. I also went to the Oak Hills game and it was bright for all the cameras. Bigger the game the brighter the lights I guess
Funny you mention that because OH replaced all lighting in the gym last summer. There was such a huge difference when we walked in there and the motion sensors kicked on. Almost needed my sunglasses
Old 05-10-17, 08:13 PM
Junior Varsity

Good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middie 85 Alum View Post
Why would the school district throw money into renovating the gym where the building was falling apart? It made more sense to help pay for the new gym and renovated high school with the millions the state was kicking in which they were not going to get on renovating the old gym.
Have to agree with you.
Old 06-01-17, 09:17 PM
All American

oxat622
Quote:
As a Princeton alum and fan, I do not like the new gym. I like what they tried to do, but there are a number of design flaws. All of the stands are very far from the court which cuts into intimacy. The endzone seats look completely useless. The practice baskets, when collapsed obstruct the views of the corner scoreboards so I have to look behind me to fully see a board. The center court logo does not face the video platform. Banners are not prominently displayed.
Old 06-02-17, 08:58 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxat622 View Post
As a Princeton alum and fan, I do not like the new gym. I like what they tried to do, but there are a number of design flaws. All of the stands are very far from the court which cuts into intimacy. The endzone seats look completely useless. The practice baskets, when collapsed obstruct the views of the corner scoreboards so I have to look behind me to fully see a board. The center court logo does not face the video platform. Banners are not prominently displayed.

oxat I really like Princeton's gym. But I noticed the press box was on the visitor's side which filming makes the center logo was upside down. Makes no sense to me but when they played LE they filmed the game on the home side which made more sense to me. I wished they made more enzone seating but I give them a A-
Old 06-04-17, 08:36 AM
All Ohio

Johnstown Benny is on a distinguished road
There was a "rumor" going around Lima a few months ago that the Middies had scheduled a game with Lima Senior for their first game in the new gym.
Any truth to this ?? The two teams had a pretty good league rivalry going, back in the day.

Whether they play the Spartans or not, best of luck to the Middies in their new arena.

JB
Old 06-04-17, 10:23 AM
All Region

vikes 87 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
oxat I really like Princeton's gym. But I noticed the press box was on the visitor's side which filming makes the center logo was upside down. Makes no sense to me but when they played LE they filmed the game on the home side which made more sense to me. I wished they made more enzone seating but I give them a A-
They half basketball arena because of money issues. most insiders no they spent too much money on the baseball facility and cut corners on the basketball arena . no center court video board ,but 2 nice scoreboards with no sponsership in baseball complex for a program that wins 6 games a year. stay golden Croley
Old 06-04-17, 07:23 PM
GO MIDDIES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown Benny View Post
There was a "rumor" going around Lima a few months ago that the Middies had scheduled a game with Lima Senior for their first game in the new gym.
Any truth to this ?? The two teams had a pretty good league rivalry going, back in the day.

Whether they play the Spartans or not, best of luck to the Middies in their new arena.

JB
The last game at the Old Miller Gym is Fri Dec 8 against Hamilton which makes sense due to the basketball history these teams have had. I believe there is at least 1 home and home series with Lima. The first game was last year at Lima on a Sat. The New Miller Gym opens on Sat Dec 9, so it makes sense they would be playing on a Sat and these 2 teams also have a basketball history. Hopefully, the Middies can improve this season and have a good 1st season in the new Arena.
Old 06-04-17, 10:56 PM
Varsity

I hope the players are doing A LOT more than hoping. Last year was rough and there did not appear to be much coming up.
Old 06-05-17, 06:13 AM
GO MIDDIES

Quote:
I hope the players are doing A LOT more than hoping. Last year was rough and there did not appear to be much coming up.
For fans hoping is probably all we can do because we also know the reality of it is not good for this year as you stated.
Old 06-06-17, 11:27 AM
Yappi Supporter

FormerWildcat is on a distinguished road
I think the sad reality is that the kids don't know and don't care about the history of places. They just want the newest and shiniest thing that comes along.

They have been programmed to think this way, because of things like the iPhone 5 vs the iPhone 6 vs the iPhone 7 and so on. Newer is always better, and everything that came before the latest version is ancient history.
Old 06-06-17, 06:49 PM
All World

LovelandMiddie
https://twitter.com/midtownmiddies?lang=en

scroll down the page and you'll find a sneak peek of the gym under construction.
Old 10-04-17, 07:38 AM
All Region

Update of the new Wade E Miller
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Middletown Arena.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	1840  
Old 11-07-17, 10:53 PM
All Region

Update November 2017
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20171107_194155.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	1921  
Old 11-09-17, 03:33 PM
Yappi Supporter

FormerWildcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Out of the newer GMC gymnasiums I thought Hamilton did great with the field house look.
FWIW, Hamilton spent $9.5 million for their "Athletic Center" in 2011.

https://www.athleticbusiness.com/project-494.html
Old 11-22-17, 11:02 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Update November 2017
The angle of the picture makes it appear as if all of those banners will be touching the court. Lol
Old 11-22-17, 11:21 PM
All Ohio

Blue Jay Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerWildcat View Post
I think the sad reality is that the kids don't know and don't care about the history of places. They just want the newest and shiniest thing that comes along.

They have been programmed to think this way, because of things like the iPhone 5 vs the iPhone 6 vs the iPhone 7 and so on. Newer is always better, and everything that came before the latest version is ancient history.
Don't blame the kids. Look how many new schools were built around the state the past 10-15 years that replaced perfectly good, "old" buildings.