Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-15-17, 09:11 AM
All American

Zezzo! is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by member1 View Post
"Waste" ouch! I think if the kid gets an offer it's the coaches job to figure it out. Some of them do and a lot of them do not. But I do not think anybody goes in thinking we are "wasting" this scholarship on a kid that averages 20, 9 and 7?? Patton is DI talent he can plan with anybody. Coaches will figure it out and pick up on him soon.
That's the point, they don't offer you so they give the scholarship to someone they think they're not going to "waste" a scholly on. Most are hits very few are misses.
Old 03-15-17, 01:06 PM
All Region

Perk Diggler is on a distinguished road
Great points Zezzo!!! Another key factor that was missed in Patton's recruitment nobody has mentioned is the AAU factor. Patton played on All Ohio Red last spring/summer so he played on the premier AAU circuit... The who's who of coaches had a chance to see him compete against the elite of the elite. Not a High, Mid, or Low major offered. I think that speaks volumes. I really don't think people understand how tough it is to get a D1 scholarship no matter the level. Oh and Gordon is definitely 6'0 not 6'3.
Old 03-23-17, 04:12 PM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
After what I saw today, there's no way this kid isn't good enough to play at Wright State or a school of similar caliber.
Old 03-23-17, 05:52 PM
All World

SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
He's a talent. I hope he gets the opportunity to play at the next level.
Old 03-27-17, 10:51 PM
All District

dreamz7 is on a distinguished road
King James has spoken here comes the offers good for that kid. http://daytonhssports.blogspot.com/2...all-to-st.html
Old 03-28-17, 03:15 AM
All Yappi

Yellow_Jacket06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Yellow_Jacket06 Send a message via Yahoo to Yellow_Jacket06
Akron and Duquesne just offered him recently.
Old 03-28-17, 06:55 AM
All Ohio

member1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Jacket06 View Post
I hear 6 to 8 more are to follow. Guess those folks won't be "wasting" an offer on him. Hmmm.. The science of recruiting and the unscience of message boards???
Old 03-28-17, 07:00 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezzo! View Post
Great high school player but on a D1 level,,,,

Too slow to be a 1

Not big enough for a 2

Doesn't handle well enough for a 1

just right for a mid-major D2
You sure about all these??
Old 03-28-17, 07:51 AM
All Region

Dr. Pepper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I hear 6 to 8 more are to follow. Guess those folks won't be "wasting" an offer on him. Hmmm.. The science of recruiting and the unscience of message boards???
Wow! I guess better late than never... This is a young man who was a 2 time all state selection, Co-Player of the year on one of the best teams in Ohio regardless of division. This kid is a terrific player, a leader and a winner. Glad to see King James recognized the talent and stepped in to help. Hopefully this will kick his recruitment into high gear. I would love to see him in a UD uniform for four years.
Old 03-28-17, 08:11 AM
All American

Irish60 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Jacket06 View Post
This is very interesting since Keith Dambrot (LBJ's old coach!) announced yesterday he is leaving Akron to go coach Duquesne.

Last edited by Irish60; 03-28-17 at 08:28 AM.
Old 03-28-17, 08:19 AM
All Yappi

That is curious. I presume it means Dambrot offered and then immediately re-offered when he switched jobs.

Good for Patton though.
Old 03-28-17, 08:44 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
This is very interesting since Keith Dambrot (LBJ's old coach!) announced yesterday he is leaving Akron to go coach Duquesne.
Dru Joyce to the University of Akron.
Old 03-28-17, 08:44 AM
All World

sportsprophet is on a distinguished road
Torrey can flat out ball, dropped 36 on Gary Trent jr (Duke commit), dropped 34 on SVSM. Steps up in big games, glad he getting rewarded. The way coaches talk about him, they said same things about Norris Cole, they recruitment is so similar. But Cole only had ONE D1 offer. Wright State should be ashamed, they shouldve been his FIRST offer! You dont let a kid like this escape your backyard especially when you couldve stole him!
Old 03-28-17, 08:48 AM
All World

Quote:
Dru Joyce to the University of Akron.
Did Graves already sign with Buffalo????
Old 03-28-17, 08:57 AM
All Yappi

Patton kind of reminds me of a better version of Chris Darrington, a kid that played at Toledo Scott a few years ago that wound up with no DI offers and went to a JUCO in Indiana. Questionable size and athleticism but could flat out score. Patton has more offensive tools and a far better body than that kid. After two years in JUCO Darrington now has offers from Tennessee and Nebraska. If Duquesne or a similar school signs Patton it will wind up looking like a huge steal 2-3 years from now.
Old 03-28-17, 09:01 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsprophet View Post
Torrey can flat out ball, dropped 36 on Gary Trent jr (Duke commit), dropped 34 on SVSM. Steps up in big games, glad he getting rewarded. The way coaches talk about him, they said same things about Norris Cole, they recruitment is so similar. But Cole only had ONE D1 offer. Wright State should be ashamed, they shouldve been his FIRST offer! You dont let a kid like this escape your backyard especially when you couldve stole him!
It baffles me how many local kids they let get away. It's the one thing that would actually raise their attendance and revenue.
Old 04-13-17, 07:42 AM
All World

For all those that said Patton wasnt a D1 college athlete, he now has offers from, Robert Morris, Duquesne, Miami(OH), Akron, Youngstown State and Wright State (morons couldve had him signed, now they have to compete for him) Congrats to the kid, he EARNED it....
Old 04-14-17, 08:51 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
For all those that said Patton wasnt a D1 college athlete, he now has offers from, Robert Morris, Duquesne, Miami(OH), Akron, Youngstown State and Wright State (morons couldve had him signed, now they have to compete for him) Congrats to the kid, he EARNED it....
Murray State offered a few days ago. He is rolling them in.
Old 04-18-17, 06:46 AM
All Ohio

With Crosby leaving does this open up a scholarship opportunity for Patton at UD with Grant??? I think he would be well worth the conversation.
Old 04-18-17, 12:25 PM
All World

Quote:
With Crosby leaving does this open up a scholarship opportunity for Patton at UD with Grant??? I think he would be well worth the conversation.
I thought the same thing when i saw this on the news. Maybe the stars are lining up just right for Torrey. Hopefully Grant pulls the trigger and offer him, he would take it in a heartbeat!
Old 04-18-17, 05:00 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I thought the same thing when i saw this on the news. Maybe the stars are lining up just right for Torrey. Hopefully Grant pulls the trigger and offer him, he would take it in a heartbeat!
Interesting turn of events. UD is now in desperate shape for guards and could use 2-3 quality guards. I would think that Grant is looking at JUCOs or a grad transfer for immediate impact, but since UD is so depleted at the guard spot, they could offer Patton, too.
Old 04-19-17, 10:37 AM
All District

hvs1717 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Now I want to start off by saying that I think Torrey is a D1 kid and has a chance to be a solid player at a low to mid D1 program. But he most likely isn't seeing a rise in these offers because all of a sudden these coaches realize that they undervalued him. He is getting all of these offers now for mostly two reasons. One, there have been 500 transfers in the last 3 weeks. Schools are desperate for players and they are reaching out to kids that they wouldn't have otherwise. Second, so many coaches have changed jobs that now they need to bring in "bridge" players to hold spots until they can get the kids they really want the next year.
Old 04-20-17, 08:23 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvs1717 View Post
Now I want to start off by saying that I think Torrey is a D1 kid and has a chance to be a solid player at a low to mid D1 program. But he most likely isn't seeing a rise in these offers because all of a sudden these coaches realize that they undervalued him. He is getting all of these offers now for mostly two reasons. One, there have been 500 transfers in the last 3 weeks. Schools are desperate for players and they are reaching out to kids that they wouldn't have otherwise. Second, so many coaches have changed jobs that now they need to bring in "bridge" players to hold spots until they can get the kids they really want the next year.
Could be true, or maybe it was he can just flat out play. D1 is D1, its a free education. I think he would fit in at UD. But schools are reaching out to him because he can ball, thousands and thousands of other kids out there in the country AND overseas theyre not reaching out to. But whatever reason they contacting him, his dreams, unlike many others of playing D1 ball will come true, decision coming Tues. Im thinking Wright State or Miami(Oh) unless UD come NOW!
Old 04-20-17, 01:01 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvs1717 View Post
He is getting scholarship offers because he can play. He proved it on the big stage and his patience worked out for him. I respect the fact the you have an opinion. I just think it's wrong. Out of those schools that offered him they mostly get kids for for 3 or 4 years. Yeah transfers happen but with those mid-major offers I don't think any coach is saying "Let's get this Patton kid because so and so transferred and he will bridge the gap until we can really recruit the kids we want"???

How long was the previous coach at Miami of OH? 4 or 5 year? By the looks of it in big time college ball coaches don't have the time do wait around for other players??? Or bridge some imaginary gap? He is getting the looks can he can play and coaches think he can contribute and help win.
Old 04-25-17, 08:57 AM
All American

Irish60 is on a distinguished road
Word up here is that Patton chose Akron. Great for Akron, and a great fit for Patton. With all the guards who have defected from the Zips, he'll get a TON of playing time from the start.
Old 04-25-17, 12:37 PM
Varsity

HSFootballFan1972 is on a distinguished road
As a Zips Alum, proud that Patton chose Akron. Bummed that Dambrot left but I'm sure Groce will get the most out of this squad.