Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-12-17, 09:09 PM
All Region

Jim Behrens is on a distinguished road
Your question is hypothetical so there is no possible way to answer it.
Ask the question but turned around 180 degrees.
How many possible injuries were prevented by having two officials on the mat?
Again, there is no way to know.

Believe me when I tell you that when a wrestler is injured on our mat, we feel very bad about it. I am sure the officials in this match feel that way too.

I did not see this match but the assistant always has the ability to tell the lead official that there is a problem that requires stopping the match.
Old 03-14-17, 11:44 AM
Humble Moderator

Refman is on a distinguished road
The asst CAN tell the lead to stop the match.
Old 03-14-17, 12:03 PM
All Region

bluepride1990 is on a distinguished road
If so why do I see many times where the asst signals a hold has slipped to illegal but wait till change or pin when time has run off the clock and the kid has been in illegal hold for some amount of time before action is stopped or restarted after a pin.

A kid being held in an illegal and potentially dangerous situation until the asst can confer with the head ref is a disaster waiting to happen.

I just seem to see it happen enough that it does not seem right for a kid to fight an illegal hold for 30+ sec to give up a pin and then have to return to action.

Thankfully has not been an issue for my son. God for bid the ref that gets a kid seriously injured because he did not stop action.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 03-14-17, 12:23 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepride1990 View Post
If so why do I see many times where the asst signals a hold has slipped to illegal but wait till change or pin when time has run off the clock and the kid has been in illegal hold for some amount of time before action is stopped or restarted after a pin.

A kid being held in an illegal and potentially dangerous situation until the asst can confer with the head ref is a disaster waiting to happen.
What signal is the asst showing??
In my experience, any time my asst has noticed something illegal they tell me. There is no signal for this and if I am looking for a pin, I likely would not see them.

Regarding your second point, "illegal" and "potentially dangerous" are very different animals. You need to be aware of the differences. Are you?
In a PD action, the match does not always need to be stopped. Think of the grabbing of headgear or clothing or a clasp as an example of when the match is not stopped.
Old 03-14-17, 02:15 PM
All Region

bluepride1990 is on a distinguished road
I have seen the assist give the illegal hold sign and nothing happen till the pin with significant time run down.

With regard to illegal and potentially dangerous I am referring to the ones that are illegal because they are potentially dangerous. For example a head and arm pin combination when the locked hands slide to become potentially dangerous and therefore an illegal headlock.

I recognize that somethings are potentially dangerous and not illegal and some things are technical violations and not potentially dangerous. My concern is potentially dangerous (especially if illegal) that can cause serious harm to a wrestler if not stopped. More specifically when hard to see by the head ref and the assist sees and does not stop action.
Old 03-14-17, 02:40 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepride1990 View Post
I have seen the assist give the illegal hold sign and nothing happen till the pin with significant time run down.

With regard to illegal and potentially dangerous I am referring to the ones that are illegal because they are potentially dangerous. For example a head and arm pin combination when the locked hands slide to become potentially dangerous and therefore an illegal headlock.

I recognize that somethings are potentially dangerous and not illegal and some things are technical violations and not potentially dangerous. My concern is potentially dangerous (especially if illegal) that can cause serious harm to a wrestler if not stopped. More specifically when hard to see by the head ref and the assist sees and does not stop action.
Never having done that (give an illegal hold sign as an asst) and never having seen anyone do it, I can't offer any more. I am guessing that the asst doesn't think the situation is what you think it is. That is just a guess.

Just an FYI, all headlocks are considered to be PD. However, there are some occasions where a headlock in a pinning combination is perfectly legal once near fall criteria is met.

You wrote "I am referring to the ones that are illegal because they are potentially dangerous". I can't say that I understand what you mean by this. Holds are not illegal because they are PD, they are simply illegal. A PD hold could become illegal but the reverse is not true. An illegal hold is illegal immediately and should be stopped as soon as it is seen.
Old 03-14-17, 03:46 PM
All District

dion is on a distinguished road
You wrote "I am referring to the ones that are illegal because they are potentially dangerous". I can't say that I understand what you mean by this. Holds are not illegal because they are PD, they are simply illegal. A PD hold could become illegal but the reverse is not true. An illegal hold is illegal immediately and should be stopped as soon as it is seen.[/QUOTE]

Just a clarification; A full nelson and a figure four (unless only one leg) are illegal by definition, whereas an over scissors is not illegal until pressure is applied. However an official would be expected to stop wrestling immediately when observing an over scissors because it's PD; correct?
Old 03-14-17, 10:16 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by dion View Post
Just a clarification; A full nelson and a figure four (unless only one leg) are illegal by definition, whereas an over scissors is not illegal until pressure is applied. However an official would be expected to stop wrestling immediately when observing an over scissors because it's PD; correct?
Not in my opinion for two reasons.
1) It is not listed as a PD hold and
2) we can show the signal for PD without having to stop the match.
Having said that, we usually do stop it but that is not required. It may simply mean that we are watching it closely and might have to stop it.

This situation used to be illegal by application. I am guessing that it was changed about 12 to 15 years ago. I will say that I was never comfortable with the change. The reason I felt this way is because by the time it becomes illegal the damage could have been done. That makes no sense to me but I don't get that choice.
Old 03-15-17, 10:00 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Behrens View Post
Not in my opinion for two reasons.
1) It is not listed as a PD hold and
2) we can show the signal for PD without having to stop the match.
Having said that, we usually do stop it but that is not required. It may simply mean that we are watching it closely and might have to stop it.

This situation used to be illegal by application. I am guessing that it was changed about 12 to 15 years ago. I will say that I was never comfortable with the change. The reason I felt this way is because by the time it becomes illegal the damage could have been done. That makes no sense to me but I don't get that choice.
A repeated theme from our three RI is to "enforce the spirit" of the rule. Now personally I feel that gives them an "out" so that they can tweak a rule when they find it advantageous, but that's another story. Going back to that theme, I still believe that an over scissors with no pressure is PD, and an official is being negligent by not stopping the situation (rationale being at one time it was illegal by definition). Just because a move or situation is not specifically noted as being potentially dangerous in the rule book it doesn't make it an option to stop. A chicken wing is illegal by definition, however, how often as officials to we see a hand slip up to the chicken wing (with no pressure) during a good scramble. At this point haven't we been instructed to stop the situation as PD. Whereas awarding a penalty pt. in this situation would probably a little over zealous. This is not the way it's instructed in the rule book. JMHO
Old 03-15-17, 10:25 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by dion View Post
A repeated theme from our three RI is to "enforce the spirit" of the rule. Now personally I feel that gives them an "out" so that they can tweak a rule when they find it advantageous, but that's another story. Going back to that theme, I still believe that an over scissors with no pressure is PD, and an official is being negligent by not stopping the situation (rationale being at one time it was illegal by definition). Just because a move or situation is not specifically noted as being potentially dangerous in the rule book it doesn't make it an option to stop. A chicken wing is illegal by definition, however, how often as officials to we see a hand slip up to the chicken wing (with no pressure) during a good scramble. At this point haven't we been instructed to stop the situation as PD. Whereas awarding a penalty pt. in this situation would probably a little over zealous. This is not the way it's instructed in the rule book. JMHO
I want to stress that I think we are, more or less, thinking alike. I don't like to see an over-scissors because of what might happen. I can't argue with the idea that it used to be illegal so it is viewed as possibly PD. You are perfectly entitled to stop any situation where you think a PD situation exists.

However, the chicken wing is not illegal if applied properly (perpendicular to the axis of the back). The rule book says " chicken wing with pressure toward the shoulder, parallel to the long axis of the body". My feeling is that I tell the wrestler to keep the wing legal. If it starts to "creep" up, I stop it as PD. If he drives it forward, at all, it becomes illegal and he suffers the penalty.

As you say, JMO.
Old 03-16-17, 10:20 AM
All Ohio

wrestlfan is on a distinguished road
i watched a match this weekend where it was 1-0 with 10 seconds left in match and the asst. ref made a locking hands call
man, it was great to see how it is supposed to work happening!
I thought the officiating was great
I had a guy lose a match to a runner up 1-0 on a stalling call- my guy was not wrestling hard enough- no excuses

Last edited by wrestlfan; 03-16-17 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-09-17, 06:55 PM
Freshman

Poltergeist is on a distinguished road
Is tickling legal? if so when and how
Old 10-10-17, 09:27 PM
Freshman

herbiehancock is an unknown quantity at this point
Question: wrestler A throws wrestler B to his back, but wrestler Bís entire upper back is out of bounds, while both wrestlers bottom halves are in. Should a ref ever call stale mate in this situation? No back points should be counted correct?
Old 10-10-17, 10:30 PM
Unbias Nation

wjjsj is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltergeist View Post
Is tickling legal? if so when and how
Tickling? I would call Unsportsmanlike.
Old 10-10-17, 10:31 PM
Unbias Nation

wjjsj is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbiehancock View Post
Question: wrestler A throws wrestler B to his back, but wrestler Bís entire upper back is out of bounds, while both wrestlers bottom halves are in. Should a ref ever call stale mate in this situation? No back points should be counted correct?
Stalemate? No

New this year, back points can be counted.
Old 10-11-17, 07:55 AM
All American

jmog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjsj View Post
Stalemate? No

New this year, back points can be counted.
Near fall can be awarded while defenders back is out of bounds now? Can a fall be awarded out of bounds similar to college?
Old 10-11-17, 08:07 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmog View Post
Near fall can be awarded while defenders back is out of bounds now? Can a fall be awarded out of bounds similar to college?
Yes