Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Major League Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-10-19, 04:59 PM
All World

Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves82 View Post
A) Any lineup not including Kemp as at least a platoon is flawed. The man can hit. Given how Schebler hit lefties last year he may be a regular and the platoon is Winker/Kemp.

B) If the Reds are close to in the hunt they will not trade Gennett just to make room for Senzel. If Senzel has a good spring or hits in AAA he probably forces his way into the lineup for Peraza or an OF spot. But not at SS. It would mean sliding Suarez over.
Kemp has an OPS of .828 against Lefties. Winker is .690
I imagine Kemp will see at bats against lefties quite a bit. He makes a very nice bench bat when teams try to LOOGY the Reds.

Puig on the other hand crushes Right handed pitchers but stinks against Lefties. Schebler hits lefties better than Righties. I think we will see Kemp (LF), Senzel (CF), and Schebler (RF) against lefties and Winker, Senzel, Puig against Righties. The infield won't change except Barnhart and Casali.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-19, 08:27 AM
All Ohio

wolves82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
Kemp has an OPS of .828 against Lefties. Winker is .690
I imagine Kemp will see at bats against lefties quite a bit. He makes a very nice bench bat when teams try to LOOGY the Reds.

Puig on the other hand crushes Right handed pitchers but stinks against Lefties. Schebler hits lefties better than Righties. I think we will see Kemp (LF), Senzel (CF), and Schebler (RF) against lefties and Winker, Senzel, Puig against Righties. The infield won't change except Barnhart and Casali.
So you think the only every day OF is Senzel? And you think Puig sits against lefties? Both are incredibly unlikely. Starting the season it is more likely that Puig and Schebler play every day and Kemp/Winker platoon the 3rd OF spot. From there we will see what happens with Senzel and which guys are producing.
Old 01-11-19, 12:11 PM
All World

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
This just in, Jose Peraza and Michael Lorenzen signed one year contracts to avoid arbitration.
Old 01-11-19, 01:47 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Trading for MadBum isn't realistic?
It may be realistic if the Reds are willing to give up enough, but it would be a stupid trade. Heís a fly ball pitcher who is declining big time. Putting him in gabp for half his starts would make him a very average pitcher going forward.
Old 01-11-19, 02:12 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
So you think the only every day OF is Senzel? And you think Puig sits against lefties? Both are incredibly unlikely. Starting the season it is more likely that Puig and Schebler play every day and Kemp/Winker platoon the 3rd OF spot. From there we will see what happens with Senzel and which guys are producing.
Indiadad is a goof.
Old 01-11-19, 03:00 PM
All World

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
This also just in Tanner Roark, Scooter Gennett and Anthony DeSclafani have signed one year deals to avoid arbitration.
Old 01-11-19, 03:54 PM
All World

Quote:
If Senzel is up then he needs to play every day. So yes, he is the everyday CF if he is in Cincinnati assuming Peraza and Scooter are here as well.
Old 01-11-19, 03:54 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Indiadad is a goof.
And you're a troll...
Old 01-11-19, 07:07 PM
All Yappi

Arrogate will become famous soon enough
ID does the pitching free agent market look more appetizing to you next year than this year? Any possible pitchers you think the Reds have a chance to trade for besides deGrom?

I ask because if the market looks to be better next year through trade or FA it may be best to stand pat for now. Hopefully there arent too many big market teams looking to spend some serious cash next year.
Old 01-11-19, 09:01 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
And you're a troll...
Not even a lovable goof, just a salty pile of goofy prognostications.
Old 01-11-19, 09:03 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
If Senzel is up then he needs to play every day. So yes, he is the everyday CF if he is in Cincinnati assuming Peraza and Scooter are here as well.
Doubtful they will weigh him down playing centerfield. I mean, why not make him the everyday catcher?
Old 01-11-19, 09:14 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
ID does the pitching free agent market look more appetizing to you next year than this year? Any possible pitchers you think the Reds have a chance to trade for besides deGrom?

I ask because if the market looks to be better next year through trade or FA it may be best to stand pat for now. Hopefully there arent too many big market teams looking to spend some serious cash next year.
As for the pitching market in 2020.... There's some big names (Verlander, Hamels, Porcello etc) with big price tags that I hope the Reds pass on.

At this point the FA of 2020 that I like are the ones I suggested they pursue this offseason... Ryu, Harvey, Cahill.

I don't see the Reds playing at the top of the FA market next offseason.

As for trades.... if you believe this team can win in 2019 then Bumgarner and Degrom should be at the top of their list. If you're thinking 2020 and 2021 are the Reds years then Kluber and Syndergaard should be the targets. Trades are tough though because you have to give up future value for an expensive player now.

I think for this season the Reds are trying to give Derek Johnson a year to figure out which pitchers he can turn around and what this teams needs are going forward. The key is to stay relevant and appear to try to win to keep fans coming to the park and tuning in on TV and radio.
Old 01-11-19, 10:41 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Vegas has the reds at 77 wins.

Solid?
Old 01-12-19, 06:20 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post

Solid?
Give or take 10 wins.

With this roster I'd say the Reds are playing for 3rd place.
Old 01-12-19, 06:23 AM
All World

Quote:
Not even a lovable goof, just a salty pile of goofy prognostications.
I rarely prognasticate.

I often offer my opinion on what I would do however.
Old 01-12-19, 07:40 AM
All Yappi

Quote:

Solid?
Pretty solid. I think itís still going to be a struggle to get over 500.
Old 01-12-19, 07:45 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
I rarely prognasticate.

I often offer my opinion on what I would do however.
Fair enough, you sometimes make prognostications based on your goofy opinions, assertions and assumptions. Remember when you thought the 2018 Reds were going to average the highest runs scored per game in the NL in over a decade?
Old 01-12-19, 07:52 AM
All Yappi

zeeman is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Solid?
All comes down to pitching and health. The Reds will have a solid lineup to score a lot of runs, but with all teams it comes down to pitching and health. If some of their starting pitchers have really solid years I could see this team winning 80 plus
Old 01-12-19, 09:46 AM
All Yappi

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
exactly 1 month until pitchers and catchers report
Old 01-12-19, 10:38 AM
All Yappi

Certainly dont want MadBum or Cueto. I think standing pat seems better right now unless there is the potential for a better deal we dont know about.
Old 01-12-19, 01:30 PM
All Yappi

Continue to put the offense on steroids. Donít weigh down Senzel with learning a demanding defensive position on the fly during a rookie season until his bat is consistent ; get him plenty of at bats at a corner of position and spot starts at 2b and 3b. Rely on a pitching by committee rotation until you build up a surplus of hitting talent that you can trade for pitching talent. 2019 isnít important 2020 is.
Old 01-12-19, 05:27 PM
All World

Quote:
Fair enough, you sometimes make prognostications based on your goofy opinions, assertions and assumptions. Remember when you thought the 2018 Reds were going to average the highest runs scored per game in the NL in over a decade?
Of course that's not what I said.

I said "if" they do X,Y and Z they would be the highest scoring team.

They didn't do any of the things I said they needed to do.
Old 01-12-19, 05:28 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeman View Post
All comes down to pitching and health. The Reds will have a solid lineup to score a lot of runs, but with all teams it comes down to pitching and health. If some of their starting pitchers have really solid years I could see this team winning 80 plus
Absolutely
Old 01-12-19, 05:29 PM
All World

Quote:
Certainly dont want MadBum or Cueto. I think standing pat seems better right now unless there is the potential for a better deal we dont know about.
What are your thoughts on Sonny Gray?
Old 01-12-19, 05:31 PM
All World

Quote:
Continue to put the offense on steroids. Donít weigh down Senzel with learning a demanding defensive position on the fly during a rookie season until his bat is consistent ; get him plenty of at bats at a corner of position and spot starts at 2b and 3b. Rely on a pitching by committee rotation until you build up a surplus of hitting talent that you can trade for pitching talent. 2019 isnít important 2020 is.
What position do you want upgraded and with who?
Old 01-12-19, 08:39 PM
All Yappi

I was excited when I saw the Reds were interested until I saw they wanted top pitching prospects or Trammel. The guys I saw mentioned seem to be at least a year away from getting consideration to be called up. Admittedly I know very little about the prospects, just saw some stats and where they are rated in the reds system.

What kind of haul are they looking to get? Multiple prospects? I know they previously wanted Trammel and that was a solid no from my end. If they want Mella then I say make the deal.

I dont want to give up Santillan for him.

Gray probably doesnt warrant unloading a top prospect to attain him. Maybe he does better in a smaller market but he seems to have lost something. Not sure if injuries initially played a role and now it is mental? Some pitchers need a change if scenery especially those in big markets like the Yankees. I think I read he is a free agent in 2020 so it seems to be more of a win now move.

I wonder if the Reds/Johnson see something in him that could be fixed and that is why they are targeting him.

With the reds track record of developing pitching in the minors maybe it is best to unload a pitcher they may not like as much for a guy like Gray. Maybe it is best to try and fix a proven/developed pitcher who has been in a slump.

What do you think about him? If you want him who would you give up? Do you think he can be "fixed"?
Old 01-12-19, 11:14 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Of course that's not what I said.

I said "if" they do X,Y and Z they would be the highest scoring team.

They didn't do any of the things I said they needed to do.
What didnít they do?
Old 01-13-19, 06:11 AM
All World

Quote:
I was excited when I saw the Reds were interested until I saw they wanted top pitching prospects or Trammel. The guys I saw mentioned seem to be at least a year away from getting consideration to be called up. Admittedly I know very little about the prospects, just saw some stats and where they are rated in the reds system.

What kind of haul are they looking to get? Multiple prospects? I know they previously wanted Trammel and that was a solid no from my end. If they want Mella then I say make the deal.

I dont want to give up Santillan for him.

Gray probably doesnt warrant unloading a top prospect to attain him. Maybe he does better in a smaller market but he seems to have lost something. Not sure if injuries initially played a role and now it is mental? Some pitchers need a change if scenery especially those in big markets like the Yankees. I think I read he is a free agent in 2020 so it seems to be more of a win now move.

I wonder if the Reds/Johnson see something in him that could be fixed and that is why they are targeting him.

With the reds track record of developing pitching in the minors maybe it is best to unload a pitcher they may not like as much for a guy like Gray. Maybe it is best to try and fix a proven/developed pitcher who has been in a slump.

What do you think about him? If you want him who would you give up? Do you think he can be "fixed"?
I saw a report yesterday that the Yankees have "adjusted" their requirements for Gray. They are now asking for multiple high minors guys that "have a chance" to make it someday. To me that sounds like Finnegan, Reed, Stephenson, Romano, Jackson Stephen's, Mella etc. Is there anyone in that group that you wouldn't part with for Gray? Reed is the only one I think might develop into a successful big league pitcher.

As for Gray, Yes it seems like a "win now" move but it is also a "win later" move if they aren't parting with any substantial prospects. I have no idea if he can be "fixed" but if I'm giving up any of the above pitchers I'd take the chance.
Gray would add roughly 10M to payroll so the Reds would be limited on what they could do after such a move. He would be my "fall back" plan if I couldn't land anyone else in the next couple weeks. I think there are several comparable Free Agents out there who would be cheaper and willing to sign 1 year deals and won't cost any prospects.
Old 01-13-19, 06:23 AM
All World

I'd be interested in signing Nick Markakis still if the plan is to use Senzel as a Super Utility player.

I know he's a Corner Outfielder but he can hit and I think he could be had for $5-$6M on a 1 year deal. He is extremely consistent at around a .290 average every year with a .345 OBP and OPS of .780

He hits lefties decently well as a lefty himself.

He'd make a nice veteran bench bat that could platoon RF. At that price the Reds could afford a couple of bullpen upgrades as well.
Old 01-13-19, 10:05 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
What position do you want upgraded and with who?
More of a general philosophy vs a specific need or acquisition. I think they’ve taken a big step in the direction I was referring with Puig and Kemp. I would like to see them keep their hitting prospects to potentially make current players more expendable for pitching— so they can backfill and not miss a beat offensively when they strengthen pitching. This philosophy would put them at a position of strength to deal attractive assets like a Suarez.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: