Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-11-17, 05:58 PM
All Region

James x2 is on a distinguished road
Colerain & Mentor: Whats the secret?

Congrats to both schools on their victories and regional final appearances.Both are facing D-1 privates Friday.Colerain /X......Mentor/ Ignatius.Both have scheduled privates in the regular season....and won.Both have beaten members of the Power 5(Iggy,Ed's,X,Moeller,Elder) in the playoffs this year and in the past.What do these schools do that the rest of the D-1 publics could learn from?It's gotta be something to have sustained success for this long.I didn't forget Wayne,Pickerington,Hilliard Davidson,Toledo Whittmer,etc,etc.It's just that these two schools never seem off the radar.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-17, 06:03 PM
All American

rjewards is on a distinguished road
whitmer is always on top wake up
Old 11-11-17, 06:12 PM
All Region

Whitmer was mentioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjewards View Post
They have not scheduled or beaten the D-1 privates in the regular season have they? And to the best of my knowledge never had to beat one of those 5 to win a regional.Maybe they could but never had to.Either way Mentor and Colerain are head and shoulders above all others in this reguard.Even with their success both have taken their lumps in these matchups with members of the power 5.

Last edited by James x2; 11-11-17 at 06:14 PM. Reason: add to post
Old 11-11-17, 06:50 PM
All American

rjewards is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by James x2 View Post
They have not scheduled or beaten the D-1 privates in the regular season have they? And to the best of my knowledge never had to beat one of those 5 to win a regional.Maybe they could but never had to.Either way Mentor and Colerain are head and shoulders above all others in this reguard.Even with their success both have taken their lumps in these matchups with members of the power 5.
Toledo st johns d1
Toledo central catholic d2
they have beaten these teams
Old 11-11-17, 06:52 PM
All Yappi

warriorblue is on a distinguished road
GOOD recruiting
Old 11-11-17, 07:00 PM
All Yappi

fish82 will become famous soon enoughfish82 will become famous soon enough
X, Elder and LS “pillaging” all those kids from the NWLSD...98% of whom have never even attended a day of school there.

Pretty dumb statement.
Old 11-11-17, 07:54 PM
All Yappi

MentorGrad2002 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorblue View Post
GOOD recruiting

Mentor lists all their teams junior highs in the program. They don't recruit at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-11-17, 08:04 PM
All Region

Krasula24 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Toledo st johns d1
lol St. Johns is D2 and DCC is D1
Old 11-12-17, 12:56 AM
All Region

Quote:
Toledo st johns d1
one of those isn't D-1.The other isn't on par with the power 5.Basketball sometimes but not the same football prowess .I was rooting Whitmer on when they lost to Moeller.Dont get to see or hear much about them being up in the northwest.Rooting for them Friday.

Last edited by James x2; 11-12-17 at 01:04 AM. Reason: add to post
Old 11-11-17, 08:02 PM
All Region

Krasula24 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yes they beat a pretty good Detroit Central Catholic team.
Old 11-11-17, 09:19 PM
All American

bluengold
Quote:
Whitmer lost to Ignatius in the state semifinals in 1988 and 2011
Whitmer beat Mentor in the state semifinals in 2012
Old 11-11-17, 09:49 PM
Yappi Supporter

FormerWildcat is on a distinguished road
The reality of the world is that you either have to beat the private schools, or beat the teams who have beaten the private schools to win it all one way or the other. So, to borrow a phrase, what difference does it make?
Old 11-12-17, 01:15 AM
All Region

thats not what im refering to

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold View Post
Whitmer lost to Ignatius in the state semifinals in 1988 and 2011
Whitmer beat Mentor in the state semifinals in 2012
They don't have to deal with those schools to just win a regional.Like Colerain & Mentor.Mentor will have to beat Ed's and Iggy just to get to a semi.
Old 11-11-17, 10:47 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
at Whitmer being up with with Mentor and Coletrain -

https://dcoughlin.wordpress.com/2012...mmed-by-ohsaa/
Old 11-11-17, 06:03 PM
All Yappi

DonMagicRon is on a distinguished road
Heart
Old 11-11-17, 06:05 PM
All Yappi

Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Talent.
Old 11-11-17, 06:22 PM
All Yappi

Mentor is kind of an island.

It's a large district by virtue of the era in which the building boom occurred. Solid families, good school, good overall athletic culture and community support. Enrollment is shrinking, mommies are health conscious, so football at a level able to compete with the best of D1 may start to slip.

Lake Catholic isn't too far, but Iggy is almost an hour at prime commuting. St. Ed or the Summit County privates are out of the question. NDCL, US, Gilmour, maybe are options, but not really football draws.
Old 11-11-17, 06:10 PM
All Ohio

Purple Hayes
Population and success breeds success
Old 11-11-17, 06:12 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Hayes View Post
Population and success breeds success
Colerain has no population. The Cincinnati area privates pillage thru Colerain like no other area in Cincinnati.
Old 11-11-17, 06:26 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMagicRon View Post
Colerain has no population. The Cincinnati area privates pillage thru Colerain like no other area in Cincinnati.
I always wondered about that, because that was my impression. Outstanding youth programs ? A bunch of clubs in that part of the city, frequented by Bengals players over the years that "seeded" the population ?
Old 11-11-17, 06:36 PM
All American

Extra Point is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Have you been off your meds lately? Your angry post on the LS v. WW threads and now this bull?

LaSalle is in the same school district as Colerain, with St. X down the hill.. .there is no pillaging by these 2 schools.....THEY SHARE THE SAME KIDS....

Find me 3 Contain kids at Moeller and or Elder and I will say you are right.....
Old 11-11-17, 06:47 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extra Point View Post
Have you been off your meds lately? Your angry post on the LS v. WW threads and now this bull?

LaSalle is in the same school district as Colerain, with St. X down the hill.. .there is no pillaging by these 2 schools.....THEY SHARE THE SAME KIDS....

Find me 3 Contain kids at Moeller and or Elder and I will say you are right.....
Sir I'm not in the least bit angry. I'm not pointing any fingers at the privates. It is what it is. And families have a choice. But Colerain doesn't cry about it. I wouldn't think there are too many West side suburb kids at Moeller (unless you consider Winton Woods and Princeton West side). But St. X, LaSalle and Elder have a lot of kids that opt to attend those schools from the Northwest School district.
Old 11-11-17, 10:12 PM
All District

CJSS is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Sir I'm not in the least bit angry. I'm not pointing any fingers at the privates. It is what it is. And families have a choice. But Colerain doesn't cry about it. I wouldn't think there are too many West side suburb kids at Moeller (unless you consider Winton Woods and Princeton West side). But St. X, LaSalle and Elder have a lot of kids that opt to attend those schools from the Northwest School district.
Colerain would be foolish to say anything because they do the EXACT same thing. Follow the #19 metro and see all the Cardinal football helmets boarding and unboarding at Hawaiian Ter, Knowltons Corner and Government Sq. Then you have the Skyline Acres kids on the Mt. Healthy side and the Steel Sub kids. That is a big reason why many of those young men leave Colerain. In all honesty, if i was a wide receiver playing for the Little Cards, I’d be looking for a different high school to play at.
Old 11-14-17, 06:12 PM
All District

PVKS66208 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
If there's no population, then the pickings should be slim to none right??? Tired anthem of the Publics with (often times) twice as many boys as the "Big" Catholics. Moeller has under 230 boys graduate every year.....
Old 11-19-17, 06:18 PM
All Region

One game away from the duel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVKS66208 View Post
If there's no population, then the pickings should be slim to none right??? Tired anthem of the Publics with (often times) twice as many boys as the "Big" Catholics. Moeller has under 230 boys graduate every year.....
This is gonna be a showdown if it happens.But Picktown and Liberty will have something to say about it.
Old 11-20-17, 10:52 AM
All American

Big D 185 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
DMR-
Do I need to pull out the post from a few years ago when I proved to you that ALL but three starting players on Moes 2013 State Championship team came through the Parochial Grade schools?
You are getting to be like Rachel Maddow. One conspiracy theory after another.

For the factual record:
Colerain got busted for pillaging Northwest
Whitmer got nailed for bringing in out of district kids after the 2012 State finals

Colerain and Mentor both have great head coaches and like Winton Woods, they run to the regular season competition not from it.! There is the answer. ALL THREE also have incredible fan and alumni support.
Old 11-11-17, 07:16 PM
All World

irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
Large and diverse districts that understand the importance of a good football program.

Whitmer is not in the Colerain/Mentor category but they are close. And districts are similar. The Whitmer district (Washington Local) is HUGE. House's in the district can sell for $600,000 and elsewhere they have section 8. Just about every race, culture, and creed, and have been blessed with district leadership that funds top notch facilities.
Old 11-11-17, 07:49 PM
Varsity

kaygee 12 is on a distinguished road
Dudes!
Old 11-12-17, 09:46 AM
All World

irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
Large and diverse districts that understand the importance of a good football program.

Whitmer is not in the Colerain/Mentor category but they are close. And districts are similar. The Whitmer district (Washington Local) is HUGE. House's in the district can sell for $600,000 and elsewhere they have section 8. Just about every race, culture, and creed, and have been blessed with district leadership that funds top notch facilities.
The later part of my statement here says the same thing. Large districts with solid leadership. Whitmer is located within Toledo but is not part of Toledo Public Schools and has done an excellent job standing alone as Washington Local Schools. A district that has passed it's last 7 levies, including a couple through the economic downturn because the folks understand what solid schools and sports mean and the leadership know how to sell it (good sports helps).
Old 11-12-17, 10:49 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
The later part of my statement here says the same thing. Large districts with solid leadership. Whitmer is located within Toledo but is not part of Toledo Public Schools and has done an excellent job standing alone as Washington Local Schools. A district that has passed it's last 7 levies, including a couple through the economic downturn because the folks understand what solid schools and sports mean and the leadership know how to sell it (good sports helps).
Maybe that was you, then. Probably was. You know I have a hard time telling you two apart on some issues. Given that I typically skip his self-important screeds, I probably was thinking of your post.