Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Major League Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-06-17, 10:40 AM
WinstonSmith WinstonSmith is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-11-16
Posts: 2,264
WinstonSmith is on a distinguished road
The Official 2018 Cincinnati Reds Thread

Probably time to close the book on 2017.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 10-07-17, 11:34 AM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 67,384
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
This isnít official since Sig didnít start or endorse it.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-09-17, 07:53 PM
Sig Hansen Sig Hansen is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 03-28-08
Location: the Reds will be fine.
Posts: 16,881
Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
This isnít official since Sig didnít start or endorse it.
I done done it
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-09-17, 08:40 PM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 67,384
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Yeah you did. You closed it before I could laugh at 14red for being proven wrong once again, this time for his ignorant claim the mlb playoffs aren’t on the radio.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-09-17, 08:55 PM
Sig Hansen Sig Hansen is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 03-28-08
Location: the Reds will be fine.
Posts: 16,881
Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
I opened it back up. You have until 10:30pm to make the post, after that it'll simply be too late and there's nothing else I can do.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-10-17, 08:59 AM
14Red 14Red is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 2,292
14Red is on a distinguished road
Thanks for starting a new thread!! I did listen to a Chicago station yesterday for the Cubs/ Nats and of course the Indians are all over here in Ohio. My point is a few years ago, the ESPN radio stations all played the games. Now they play their regular programming/ Russillo/ Bomani/ etc. Maybe this is just the evolution of ESPN and having so many options, or maybe they just see the ratings continue to drop for baseball.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-10-17, 09:18 AM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 2,399
Taco MacArthur can only hope to improve
14Red sticking to his guns despite already being proven wrong. Bravo.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-10-17, 09:24 AM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 67,384
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
What a clown.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-10-17, 09:41 AM
WinstonSmith WinstonSmith is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-11-16
Posts: 2,264
WinstonSmith is on a distinguished road
Jesus. My mind can't comprehend that a human being can be this wrong on LITERALLY EVERY TOPIC. WTF
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-10-17, 01:47 PM
14Red 14Red is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 2,292
14Red is on a distinguished road
Not going anywhere guys, I'm ready for '18 and the Reds getting better!!! You'll eventually come around to my way of thinking.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-10-17, 01:57 PM
WinstonSmith WinstonSmith is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-11-16
Posts: 2,264
WinstonSmith is on a distinguished road
No.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-10-17, 02:08 PM
Arrogate Arrogate is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 12-27-16
Posts: 2,225
Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Wow
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-10-17, 04:53 PM
Indiandad Indiandad is online now
All American
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 1,298
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Let's hear your thoughts on how to improve the rotation in the offseason.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-10-17, 08:09 PM
Indiandad Indiandad is online now
All American
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 1,298
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Billy projects to make $5M next season. Keep him? Trade him? Or release him?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-10-17, 10:58 PM
Gh0st Gh0st is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-18-11
Posts: 2,944
Gh0st is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
Jesus. My mind can't comprehend that a human being can be this wrong on LITERALLY EVERY TOPIC. WTF
Still convinced he's trolling. Very dedicated troll, but law of averages should mean he's right once in while.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-11-17, 07:13 AM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 2,399
Taco MacArthur can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
Let's hear your thoughts on how to improve the rotation in the offseason.
Improve scouting, pitching coaching, sign someone new.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-11-17, 07:14 AM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 2,399
Taco MacArthur can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
Billy projects to make $5M next season. Keep him? Trade him? Or release him?
Trade or release him. Too expensive for what should be a pinch runner.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-11-17, 08:04 AM
Indiandad Indiandad is online now
All American
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 1,298
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Trade or release him. Too expensive for what should be a pinch runner.
I agree. $5M would be better spent on a legit starter.

Scooter projects around $6M. Even if he regresses to a .275 hitter with 20 HR and 75 RBI he is probably worth it. Keeping him allows Suarez to play SS and Senzel 3rd while Peraza plays utility.

On the flip side, he could be a valuable trade piece in a search for a legit starter. If the Reds can trade Gennett (save 6M) then Senzel probably plays 2nd with Peraza at SS and Suarez at 3rd.

$11M in savings coupled with other savings from previous trades could make the Reds very active in the FA market.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-11-17, 09:02 AM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 2,399
Taco MacArthur can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
I agree. $5M would be better spent on a legit starter.

Scooter projects around $6M. Even if he regresses to a .275 hitter with 20 HR and 75 RBI he is probably worth it. Keeping him allows Suarez to play SS and Senzel 3rd while Peraza plays utility.

On the flip side, he could be a valuable trade piece in a search for a legit starter. If the Reds can trade Gennett (save 6M) then Senzel probably plays 2nd with Peraza at SS and Suarez at 3rd.

$11M in savings coupled with other savings from previous trades could make the Reds very active in the FA market.
Too forward thinking for the Reds. I've said it before but I refuse to believe they'll sign someone of note in free agency. If memory serves me correctly, in the last 20-30 years, outside of Chapman (I don't count it as a true FA signing) and Cordero they haven't signed a free agent that made a major on field impact. Rolen was huge for an inexperienced team but he didn't dominate on the field.

Are you saying Gennett could be a valuable trade piece? Or Hamilton?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-11-17, 10:30 AM
14Red 14Red is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 2,292
14Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
Let's hear your thoughts on how to improve the rotation in the offseason.
Improve the rotation??? I think plain old good health is the biggest remedy.

Yes, the Reds will look for a veteran to eat up some innings, but not a stud. We're not about to spend money foolishly that way.

The rotation as I see it today...
Homer Bailey - Homer won't be our #1, those days are gone. But coming off this season - he's been out for 2 years, to get 18 starts in with no setbacks physically - I really don't care about the stats, he had a couple of horrendous starts early that drastically changed his total ERA. He had glimpses of the old Homer.

Anthony DeSclafani - put a big question mark next to Disco. Spring will be big for him. He needs to be fully healed, and be able to take the ball multiple starts and hopefully with the same stuff as before. If that happens, he may be the veteran free agent that you won't need to sign.

Luis Castillo - Sal Romano - Robert Stephenson. These 3 have the inside track IMO for the other 3 spots. Next in line for me would be Tyler Mahle. More than likely all won't pan out. And it's nice to have Cody Reed, Rookie Davis, and there has even been talk of Michael Lorenzen making a run at being a starter again.

Any of those listed above who doesn't start moves into the bullpen.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-11-17, 10:31 AM
14Red 14Red is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 2,292
14Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Improve scouting, pitching coaching, sign someone new.
So the last 3 years of rebuilding all goes out the window, blow it up and start again??? Are you a Browns fan by chance???
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-11-17, 10:37 AM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 2,399
Taco MacArthur can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
So the last 3 years of rebuilding all goes out the window, blow it up and start again??? Are you a Browns fan by chance???
Oh great, 14reds 4th grade reading comprehension makes another appearance. Nope, I didn't say blow it up and start again. There isn't a single for sure #1 or #2 on the staff right now. The Reds have some possible #3-#5s. If they want to improve they are going to have to get new pitching coaching, get new scouts who can identify actual pitching talent, bring someone else new, or all the above. The Reds will be in the same position with some slight improvement from the young guys. He asked for options on how to improve the rotation. Those are their options.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-11-17, 10:42 AM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 67,384
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
14red makes another moronic comment. Yawn.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-11-17, 11:28 AM
wolves82 wolves82 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 07-31-16
Posts: 373
wolves82 is on a distinguished road
I missed a lot the last few weeks. The 2017 thread closed - I wanted to commend Monclova Steve for his prediction in March 2017 of 68-94. Nailed it. I missed by 2 games (66-96). Most of us were in the ballpark, except for 14red.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-11-17, 11:38 AM
14Red 14Red is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 2,292
14Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Oh great, 14reds 4th grade reading comprehension makes another appearance. Nope, I didn't say blow it up and start again. There isn't a single for sure #1 or #2 on the staff right now. The Reds have some possible #3-#5s. If they want to improve they are going to have to get new pitching coaching, get new scouts who can identify actual pitching talent, bring someone else new, or all the above. The Reds will be in the same position with some slight improvement from the young guys. He asked for options on how to improve the rotation. Those are their options.
We have more young pitching talent than I can ever remember, and I'm 50 years old. Did they just fall into our laps?? The biggest improvement in the rotation is just allowing nature to take it's course. You guys get older, stronger, better.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 10-11-17, 11:39 AM
Arrogate Arrogate is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 12-27-16
Posts: 2,225
Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves82 View Post
I missed a lot the last few weeks. The 2017 thread closed - I wanted to commend Monclova Steve for his prediction in March 2017 of 68-94. Nailed it. I missed by 2 games (66-96). Most of us were in the ballpark, except for 14red.
Solid projections by you both
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-11-17, 11:43 AM
wolves82 wolves82 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 07-31-16
Posts: 373
wolves82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Improve the rotation??? I think plain old good health is the biggest remedy.

Yes, the Reds will look for a veteran to eat up some innings, but not a stud. We're not about to spend money foolishly that way.

The rotation as I see it today...
Homer Bailey - Homer won't be our #1, those days are gone. But coming off this season - he's been out for 2 years, to get 18 starts in with no setbacks physically - I really don't care about the stats, he had a couple of horrendous starts early that drastically changed his total ERA. He had glimpses of the old Homer.

Anthony DeSclafani - put a big question mark next to Disco. Spring will be big for him. He needs to be fully healed, and be able to take the ball multiple starts and hopefully with the same stuff as before. If that happens, he may be the veteran free agent that you won't need to sign.

Luis Castillo - Sal Romano - Robert Stephenson. These 3 have the inside track IMO for the other 3 spots. Next in line for me would be Tyler Mahle. More than likely all won't pan out. And it's nice to have Cody Reed, Rookie Davis, and there has even been talk of Michael Lorenzen making a run at being a starter again.

Any of those listed above who doesn't start moves into the bullpen.
You list 9 names as candidates, which is reasonable. Additionally, the door is not closed on Finnegan, Garrett. So 11 possibles. Why do you think the Reds should also pay for a veteran SP to "eat up some innings"? We talked about this last year with Arroyo, we don't need veterans to eat innings. The kids need to pitch. Reds certainly don't need to spend free agent money for it.

I happen to agree with 4 of your top 5. Putting Disco in the top 5 is nothing more than wishful thinking. I hope he recovers to that point, but he should not be counted on. And Rookie Davis just had shoulder (labrum) and hip surgery surgery this week. Plus he is just terrible. Scratch that name. So in my mind, we have 9 names to look at.

Castillo, Romano and Stephenson really took big strides the last few months. If they can keep progressing, they would be the go-forward core of the rotation. Castillo particularly seems to have potential "ace" stuff.

The bigger need for help is in the pen. Does anyone have faith in anyone out there besides Iglesias and Peralta?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10-11-17, 11:54 AM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 2,399
Taco MacArthur can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
We have more young pitching talent than I can ever remember, and I'm 50 years old. Did they just fall into our laps?? The biggest improvement in the rotation is just allowing nature to take it's course. You guys get older, stronger, better.
So? What does that have to do with anything? My eye test, and the stats, says we have a bunch of #3-#5, no #1-#2.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 10-11-17, 12:07 PM
14Red 14Red is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 2,292
14Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves82 View Post
You list 9 names as candidates, which is reasonable. Additionally, the door is not closed on Finnegan, Garrett. So 11 possibles. Why do you think the Reds should also pay for a veteran SP to "eat up some innings"? We talked about this last year with Arroyo, we don't need veterans to eat innings. The kids need to pitch. Reds certainly don't need to spend free agent money for it.

I happen to agree with 4 of your top 5. Putting Disco in the top 5 is nothing more than wishful thinking. I hope he recovers to that point, but he should not be counted on. And Rookie Davis just had shoulder (labrum) and hip surgery surgery this week. Plus he is just terrible. Scratch that name. So in my mind, we have 9 names to look at.

Castillo, Romano and Stephenson really took big strides the last few months. If they can keep progressing, they would be the go-forward core of the rotation. Castillo particularly seems to have potential "ace" stuff.

The bigger need for help is in the pen. Does anyone have faith in anyone out there besides Iglesias and Peralta?
Wow, I forgot all about Garrett and Finnigan. We have more depth than I thought.

And yes, while I agree with your thoughts on the free agent signing, I do think if you can find a quality veteran at a reasonable price - and there will be some out there (this year, it was Feldman). I like a veteran presance just to give the kids another sounding board. Maybe Homer even becomes that guy.
I think the front office can put together a decent pen. Any of the names mentioned earlier who don't make the rotation are defaulted into the bullpen. Again, we can go find vets who can fill bullpen spots. But hopefully not guys like Kevin Gregg from a few years ago.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 10-11-17, 01:17 PM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 67,384
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
The problem is the Reds are loaded with pretty mediocre young arms beyond Castillo and potentially Mahle.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2017 Division I Schedules EagleFan Archives 66 10-25-17 11:29 AM
2017 Division II Schedules EagleFan Archives 32 10-25-17 11:29 AM
2017 Division III Schedules EagleFan Archives 19 10-25-17 11:29 AM
2017 Division IV Schedules EagleFan Archives 28 10-25-17 11:29 AM
2017 Division V Schedules EagleFan Archives 14 10-25-17 11:29 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:10 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz