Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Major League Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-13-17, 04:38 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Tigers Pitcher Throws at Umpire?

I've seen a few youtube videos of youth baseball and softball where it was clear that a pitcher and catcher were working together to hit an umpire. This is the first that I've seen a MLB tandem that looked like they did it on purpose...

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-17, 05:18 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
completely incidental.
Old 09-13-17, 05:21 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
I've seen a few youtube videos of youth baseball and softball where it was clear that a pitcher and catcher were working together to hit an umpire. This is the first that I've seen a MLB tandem that looked like they did it on purpose...

I watched the game on Yahoo (MLB) and the announcing team went from thinking the pitcher and (new) catcher got their signals crossed to saying it was intentional (during the between inning break w/mics on) to walking it back a bit the next inning. I wonder if anything else will come of it. FWIW, the ump missed one call (clearly down and away) later in the game. Hmmm...
Old 09-13-17, 06:21 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
completely incidental.
12-year-old catchers are taught to have a good relationship with an umpire. I've seen umpires hit dozens of times and EVERY time, the catcher turns around ASAP to see if he is OK.

This catcher just walks towards the pitcher looking unsure what to do. Watching the play only, I couldn't really tell. Knowing the backstory and the catcher's reaction, I'm fairly certain this was intentional.
Old 09-13-17, 06:58 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Ausmus, the Tiger manager, is a former catcher, too. He freaked out when he heard that the Indians broadcasters implied it was done on purpose, and I actually think it may have been his idea. Bad career move.

I've thought about calling for the high passed ball, but that's out-of-bounds in my book. I am OK with an "errant" pick-off throw plugging an obnoxious base coach if we have a nice lead, though!!
Old 09-13-17, 11:35 PM
All Region

SLAGuy is on a distinguished road
They were talking about this on the radio tonight. Most thought it was intentional.
Old 09-14-17, 06:52 AM
All American

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
12-year-old catchers are taught to have a good relationship with an umpire. I've seen umpires hit dozens of times and EVERY time, the catcher turns around ASAP to see if he is OK.

This catcher just walks towards the pitcher looking unsure what to do. Watching the play only, I couldn't really tell. Knowing the backstory and the catcher's reaction, I'm fairly certain this was intentional.
His reaction gives it away imo
Old 09-14-17, 10:07 AM
All World

tom 48 is on a distinguished road
The catcher gave the worst acting performance since the last Ton Cruise movie.
Old 09-15-17, 01:05 PM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
MLB is looking into this thing:https://www.si.com/mlb/2017/09/15/ti...s-james-mccann
Old 09-15-17, 03:36 PM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
John Lackey and catcher Willson Contreras were ejected during Chicago's Friday afternoon game against the Cardinals after fiery exchanges with home plate umpire Jordan Baker arguing balls and strikes. Is it me or is the strike zone really a moving target these days? Reminds me a lot of the (in)famous Eric Gregg

Old 09-15-17, 06:33 PM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Quote:

Well said

And given the Tigers recent pettiness (mostly Ausmus) this would seem to fit that behaviour
Old 09-15-17, 06:40 PM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
John Lackey and catcher Willson Contreras were ejected during Chicago's Friday afternoon game against the Cardinals after fiery exchanges with home plate umpire Jordan Baker arguing balls and strikes. Is it me or is the strike zone really a moving target these days? Reminds me a lot of the (in)famous Eric Gregg

[tube]mR3eK5gCChM[/tube]
I love it when Lackey gets pissed off. The guy is an absolute madman
Old 09-15-17, 09:07 PM
All World

Gh0st is on a distinguished road
There is no unwritten rule in baseball that says it's okay to throw at someone's head. Bush league if it was intentional.
Old 09-18-17, 05:04 PM
All District

Salesman is on a distinguished road
I don't think it was intentional. As a catcher trying to catch a 90+ mph fastball, try to move your glove away from where the ball is going to go is next to impossible. That is a total unnatural reaction to move your glove to the right when the ball is going left. That along with the fact it didn't miss the catcher's left shoulder by much. Totally incidental IMHO.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: