Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Which of these most closely describes your religious practice currently
Mainline Protestant regular church-goer (Episc., Mehthodist, etc.) 4 7.27%
Mainline Protestant by background, infrequent church-goer 8 14.55%
Evangelical regular church-goer 3 5.45%
Evangelical by background, infrequent church-goer 2 3.64%
Catholic regular church-goer 19 34.55%
Catholic by background, infrequent church-goer 12 21.82%
Jewish 2 3.64%
Muslim 3 5.45%
Other Religion 2 3.64%
Agnostic (who knows?) 13 23.64%
Atheist (there is no God/Supreme being) 3 5.45%
Other 4 7.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-22-17, 09:00 AM
All Ohio

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal44 View Post

.....My thought on people that have turned from Christianity is that instead of asking or seeking the answers to their unasked questions, they just give up .....
"The Christian ideal has not been tried, and been found wanting; it has been found difficult, and not tried."

- G. K. Chesterton
Old 03-22-17, 10:22 AM
Save water....drink beer!

MoeDude is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatAlum View Post
That hasn't been the position of the Church since Vatican II (early 60's). I'm not disputing your story. Either you're pretty old, or the nuns didn't get the memo.
It was still being taught up through the early 70s. By the way for being a so called religious you sure seem to like your subtle attempts at insults. Oh well it just fits the script.
Old 03-22-17, 10:55 AM
All Yappi

CatAlum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeDude View Post
It was still being taught up through the early 70s. By the way for being a so called religious you sure seem to like your subtle attempts at insults. Oh well it just fits the script.
The comment about your age wasn't intended as an insult...only trying to place you in the relevant time slot. Apologies if you took it that way.
Old 03-22-17, 07:31 PM
Save water....drink beer!

MoeDude is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatAlum View Post
The comment about your age wasn't intended as an insult...only trying to place you in the relevant time slot. Apologies if you took it that way.
No problem.
Old 03-22-17, 08:42 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
"The Christian ideal has not been tried, and been found wanting; it has been found difficult, and not tried."

- G. K. Chesterton
The path is narrow....
Old 03-22-17, 08:46 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeDude View Post
Palpable levels of self-conferred superiority may be detected from time to time
Old 03-22-17, 08:47 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Moedud is such a snowflake, he reported my post.
CA got him all torqued up, and you get the blame. Not fair.
Old 03-23-17, 05:29 AM
All Region

my2sense is an unknown quantity at this point
Reading through this thread reminds me that people who know haven't cracked open a Bible or entered a church service for years do not hesitate to offer expert opinions about God.

I find atheists more intellectually honest than the uninformed critic. At least the atheists have given consideration to the topic.
Old 03-23-17, 06:46 AM
All Yappi

Uncle Ted is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
Reading through this thread reminds me that people who know haven't cracked open a Bible or entered a church service for years do not hesitate to offer expert opinions about God.

I find atheists more intellectually honest than the uninformed critic. At least the atheists have given consideration to the topic.
Agreed. Most true atheist know a lot about religion as they should. Kinda like anti Global warming guys, they researched the issue and came to their own conclusion.
Old 03-23-17, 03:50 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
Agreed. Most true atheist know a lot about religion as they should. Kinda like anti Global warming guys, they researched the issue and came to their own conclusion.
I'm not so sure about that one, Ted. I hear many comments on biblical verses taken out of literary or cultural context and misinterpreted. I hear atheists and agnostics seizing upon biblical interpretations that are unique to small Christian sects and attributing such positions to all Christians.

I guess it depends upon what "true atheist" means.
Old 03-23-17, 03:51 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
Reported for name calling

Show us on the doll where the mean poster hurt you.
Old 03-23-17, 05:23 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
I'm not so sure about that one, Ted. I hear many comments on biblical verses taken out of literary or cultural context and misinterpreted. I hear atheists and agnostics seizing upon biblical interpretations that are unique to small Christian sects and attributing such positions to all Christians.

That can be said of Christians, too. Christians often misinterpret difficult or contradictory Bible verses to fit their personal agenda and beliefs ... or, just as likely, misinterpret other religions' beliefs and holy book verses.

How many times have I heard a Christian ridicule Muslims for believing that they will be rewarded with 72 virgins in heaven for a suicide mission? The problem is that's not even in The Koran and it's only believed by a small group of Muslims.

When there are so many religions, it's difficult to keep straight all the details of every holy book. I reject all of them as merely claims, until sufficient evidence is found. At that time, I would become a believer in whatever god reveals himself sufficiently. Until then, I remain skeptical of all unsupported extraordinary claims. They are all ridiculous to me: whether it's a man riding a horse on a lightning bolt to the moon or a resurrected-from-the-dead man levitating under his own power all the way to the heavens. I will easily dismiss those unbelievable claims, pending sufficient evidence.

Theists do the same as me by rejecting all incredible claims ...except theirs ...for some reason, only one ancient book of fantastic claims makes sense to them and all the others don't. Why? I think I know.

Last edited by BlackHawk; 03-23-17 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-23-17, 06:53 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post

What gives you the literary authority on the Bible and its meanings? Did you talk to God and get the low down?
Old 03-23-17, 07:30 PM
All World

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
According to D4fan the Bible is not up for interpretation.
Old 03-23-17, 09:46 PM
All Region

my2sense is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post
When there are so many religions, it's difficult to keep straight all the details of every holy book. I reject all of them as merely claims, until sufficient evidence is found. At that time, I would become a believer in whatever god reveals himself sufficiently.
From a Christian perspective, there will come a time when its too late to choose if you believe in Christ. He will reveal Himself as God, but at that point it will be too late to raise your hand and say "OK I guess I'll go with you"
Old 03-23-17, 11:57 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
What gives you the literary authority on the Bible and its meanings? Did you talk to God and get the low down?
I read other people on the topic.

An NIV study Bible is nice because it gives you multiple interpretations of the same passage, usually without identifying which religion follows a particular view.

Alistair Begg is pretty good. He's NEO. He makes a lot more sense to me than the guy you have down there, Ken Ham. NEO>

Last edited by cabezadecaballo; 03-24-17 at 12:11 AM.
Old 03-24-17, 06:45 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
From a Christian perspective, there will come a time when its too late to choose if you believe in Christ. He will reveal Himself as God, but at that point it will be too late to raise your hand and say "OK I guess I'll go with you"
Which is really dumb. Why wouldn't God make himself known all the time? If you then chose to not follow the word of Christ then your Screwed. Sad part is even real hard core Christians would deny anyone that claims to be Christ. They don't even believe the stuff they say they actually believe in. If God wanted to take human form he could.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: