Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Major League Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-21-17, 07:24 AM
All American

cincysports4 is on a distinguished road
You know it's going to be a long season when Scott Feldman is your Opening Day Starter.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-17, 08:10 AM
All American

WinstonSmith is on a distinguished road
No doubt. Really embarrassing for the organization IMO.
Old 03-21-17, 10:12 AM
All Ohio

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Rasiel Iglesias was the opening day starter last season, he may never start another game in a Reds uniform? I think under the circumstances, Bailey and Disco on the DL, that Feldman is the next man up. Finnigan is the only other choice. Ironically, Feldman has made not one, but two opening day starts with two different franchises. He started opening day for the Rangers in 2010, and for the Astros in 2014.

This team is in a full rebuild, their two veteran starters are injured. I'm not sure how this is an embarrassment to the organization??
Old 03-21-17, 10:18 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
By "should be ok," do you mean "will have the worst rotation in baseball?"
I don't follow the other 29 major league teams, I do know a little about the other 4 teams in the Reds division.

We'll just have to wait and see how this turns out. We have alot of young arms, we'll see how things pan out. The bullpen "should" be much better. Can we somehow flip the script and get 5-6 innings then really rely on the bullpen this year?

Obviously everyone will be looking up at the Cubs in the division this season.
Old 03-21-17, 10:49 AM
Varsity

Taco MacArthur is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
This team is in a full rebuild, their two veteran starters are injured. I'm not sure how this is an embarrassment to the organization??
I'm not sure how anyone could see this as anything other than an embarrassment. How many teams have 34 year olds with a 4.8 ERA as their opening day starter? Just because the team is in full rebuild mode doesn't give it a built in excuse from any embarrassment.
Old 03-21-17, 10:52 AM
Varsity

Quote:
I don't follow the other 29 major league teams, I do know a little about the other 4 teams in the Reds division.

We'll just have to wait and see how this turns out. We have alot of young arms, we'll see how things pan out. The bullpen "should" be much better. Can we somehow flip the script and get 5-6 innings then really rely on the bullpen this year?

Obviously everyone will be looking up at the Cubs in the division this season.
If you follow the Reds then you know they had the worst starting rotation last year. The fact they got worse this year should tell you everything you need to know.
Old 03-22-17, 09:28 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
I'm not sure how anyone could see this as anything other than an embarrassment. How many teams have 34 year olds with a 4.8 ERA as their opening day starter? Just because the team is in full rebuild mode doesn't give it a built in excuse from any embarrassment.
Feldman has started two opening days in his career, you have a bunch of under 25 year old who've not been on a major league roster for more than a few months. The choice was either Finnigan or Feldman, they picked one. Still not seeing how it's an embarassment? The Reds have major league caliber pitchers on their roster. In a perfect world, either Homer Bailey or Anthony Desclafani would be starting opening day. Do you expect them to magically get healthy?? Injuries are part of the game.
Old 03-22-17, 09:45 AM
Varsity

Feldman could have started 14 Opening Days in his carrer for all I care, it's still an embarrassment. It's an embarrassment they have to choose either Finnigan or Feldman. Of course you don't see how that's an embarrassment, you miss most things that are painfully obvious to everyone else.
Old 03-22-17, 10:53 AM
All District

wolves82 is on a distinguished road
First of all, there is no "i" in team, and only one "i" in Finnegan. Everybody lost their mind on the spelling of Amir Garrett's name, so let's get this right.

On the "embarrassment" issue: To me it is less embarrassing that Feldman is the opening day starter. Any team that lost it's #1 and #2 to injury in the spring would have to start a less impressive guy. Unless you are the Cubs, Red Sox, or Dodgers. The embarrassment is that the worst rotation in baseball got worse.

As for Iglesias, I've long said he is the best pitcher on the staff. Reds should have stretched him back out this winter and spring, improved whatever training is needed to protect him from injury as much as possible, and make him a starter. He is the only guy on the team with the stuff, the pitch variety, and the savvy to be a #1 starter.
Old 03-22-17, 10:58 AM
Fake coolin' off

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves82 View Post
First of all, there is no "i" in team, and only one "i" in Finnegan. Everybody lost their mind on the spelling of Amir Garrett's name, so let's get this right.

On the "embarrassment" issue: To me it is less embarrassing that Feldman is the opening day starter. Any team that lost it's #1 and #2 to injury in the spring would have to start a less impressive guy. Unless you are the Cubs, Red Sox, or Dodgers. The embarrassment is that the worst rotation in baseball got worse.

As for Iglesias, I've long said he is the best pitcher on the staff. Reds should have stretched him back out this winter and spring, improved whatever training is needed to protect him from injury as much as possible, and make him a starter. He is the only guy on the team with the stuff, the pitch variety, and the savvy to be a #1 starter.
I don't know who this guy is.
Old 03-22-17, 11:22 AM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
As for as I'm concerned his name is Carrot from now on.
Old 03-22-17, 12:33 PM
All Region

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Who's this new "Finnigan" guy? Is he as good as Schlebler?
Old 03-22-17, 02:22 PM
All Ohio

In news on the field, Cody Reed had a fantastic outing vs. the Angles yesterday, going 5 1/3 innings, 1 hit, 0 run baseball. Reed will be in the rotation to begin the season. Other notes from the hot stove program last night...it appears Bronson and Devin Mesoraco will start the season on the DL. Bronson just hasn't thrown enough yet, and I think with being in Cincinnati, they are going to be patent with both until the weather gets warmer.
Old 03-22-17, 02:24 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Feldman could have started 14 Opening Days in his carrer for all I care, it's still an embarrassment. It's an embarrassment they have to choose either Finnigan or Feldman. Of course you don't see how that's an embarrassment, you miss most things that are painfully obvious to everyone else.
So Taco, what's your grand plan? Does the Reds trade their top 5 prospects for Jake Arieta of the Cubs so he can be the opening day starter?? How does a team that is clearly rebuilding, with two veteran pitchers injured, start anyone else on opening day??? What else is the team supposed to do??
Old 03-22-17, 02:26 PM
Fake coolin' off

Bronson is going to show great leadership to the other disabled players. Good signing.
Old 03-22-17, 02:43 PM
Varsity

Quote:
So Taco, what's your grand plan? Does the Reds trade their top 5 prospects for Jake Arieta of the Cubs so he can be the opening day starter?? How does a team that is clearly rebuilding, with two veteran pitchers injured, start anyone else on opening day??? What else is the team supposed to do??
Please learn to read and remember. I've already answered this question.

Quote:
Just because the team is in full rebuild mode doesn't give it a built in excuse from any embarrassment.
Old 03-22-17, 04:13 PM
All Region

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
The embarrassment should be that the Reds are soooooo lacking in available talent that -- despite injuries or whatever other excuses there may be -- they have to use a 34-yr. old journeyman who wouldn't even make most other teams' rotations as their #1 pitcher to begin the season.

That 14Red doesn't see this as a problem, though, is not surprising at all.
Old 03-22-17, 08:19 PM
Fake coolin' off

Carrot should be OD starter. He's the best basketball player the Reds have.
Old 03-23-17, 09:36 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monclova Steve View Post
The embarrassment should be that the Reds are soooooo lacking in available talent that -- despite injuries or whatever other excuses there may be -- they have to use a 34-yr. old journeyman who wouldn't even make most other teams' rotations as their #1 pitcher to begin the season.

That 14Red doesn't see this as a problem, though, is not surprising at all.
Oh man...you guys... Look, the Reds have talented arms, they could start Amir Garrett on opening day, they could start Cody Reed, but why do that on a day with so many distractions. You have a guy you signed in the off season who's started opening day two times already. I would say at this point the Reds don't have a #1, #2 pitcher. We have a couple of #3's, #4's and a #5.
Old 03-23-17, 09:39 AM
Fake coolin' off

Reds have about 14 #1s on this staff. Very excited.
Old 03-23-17, 09:48 AM
All Ohio

Question came up on sports talk last night....

DiDi Gregorias, Yankee shortstop is on the shelf for a month or two. A name that came up in trade talks is...Zack Cozart. Would you trade Zack Cozart? More than likely, 2017 is Zack's last year with the Reds. Peraza and Herrera are the future up the middle combo for the Reds.
Old 03-23-17, 10:33 AM
All Ohio

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Yes don't care what we get back in return.
Old 03-23-17, 11:20 AM
Fake coolin' off

Quote:
Question came up on sports talk last night....

DiDi Gregorias, Yankee shortstop is on the shelf for a month or two. A name that came up in trade talks is...Zack Cozart. Would you trade Zack Cozart? More than likely, 2017 is Zack's last year with the Reds. Peraza and Herrera are the future up the middle combo for the Reds.
Why wouldn't you trade him?
Old 03-23-17, 11:29 AM
All District

wolves82 is on a distinguished road
Well apparently Opening Day is a must-win game, since Feldman is starting in place of the "many talented arms" that can't handle opening day distractions.

Since we have a must-win game, then clearly we are contenders, so no way we can trade Cozart.
Old 03-23-17, 12:47 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Why wouldn't you trade him?
I agree, I think you have a little leverage in that at this point, Herrera is isn't ready due to a shoulder issue. But if the Yankees offer anything of potential value, you about have to jump on it. There was one thought that you could play Arismendy Alcantara at 2nd base, move Peraza to short where he's eventually going to be everyday and just wait for Herrera to get better.
Old 03-23-17, 12:48 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves82 View Post
Well apparently Opening Day is a must-win game, since Feldman is starting in place of the "many talented arms" that can't handle opening day distractions.

Since we have a must-win game, then clearly we are contenders, so no way we can trade Cozart.
Of course it's not a must win, but Feldman is the logical choice considering what we have on the staff and who is healthy.
Old 03-23-17, 02:38 PM
All Ohio

We simply can't make this stuff up. Rasiel Iglesias will more than likely not start the season on the active roster.... he has a bruised elbow and hip from ...falling in the shower??
Old 03-23-17, 06:14 PM
Fake coolin' off

That happened like 3 weeks ago.
Old 03-23-17, 08:23 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Oh man...you guys... Look, the Reds have talented arms, they could start Amir Garrett on opening day, they could start Cody Reed, but why do that on a day with so many distractions. You have a guy you signed in the off season who's started opening day two times already. I would say at this point the Reds don't have a #1, #2 pitcher. We have a couple of #3's, #4's and a #5.
Which means absolutely nothing.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: