Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-13-18, 09:54 PM
All Ohio

wrestlfan is on a distinguished road
You lost me eyes. Im not talking about wrestling. When you graduate college- are you better off being a 21 year old college grad or a 24 year old college grad?
Old 03-13-18, 09:54 PM
All Ohio

miketyson is on a distinguished road
So besides being

Morally wrong does anyone have any good reason why i shouldnt hold my kid back to get an advantage? Please blow me off my feet
Old 03-13-18, 09:57 PM
All Ohio

One of my true idols is rob waller. I have had this conversation with him many times. Everytime he bangs in my head that the benefits of holding a kid back extend way beyond the wrestling world
Old 03-13-18, 09:57 PM
All World

Cthelites is on a distinguished road
At what age do we ween from the teet?
Old 03-13-18, 09:59 PM
All Ohio

my newest son is 7 weeks and we are just transitioning to formula. he has a perfect wrestling birthday.--mid january.. hahhaha
Old 03-13-18, 10:00 PM
All World

Cthelites is on a distinguished road
I honestly forgot about this new rule.
My kids have been out a few yrs.
Holly crap that is crazy!
Crypes doesn't it cost enough already to edjumacte kids than to do it 2 extra yrs??
Old 03-13-18, 10:36 PM
All American

1_beast is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyes r burning View Post
The 21 year old. They are at their peak. 24 is past. And when the 21 year old is 24, they are 3 years better than the 24 year old at 24. Duh. You screwed up.
wrestlfan was a sectional qualifier. Similiar to a jack wagon I once knew, hes trying to.....ah hell. I'm not going to do this...
Old 03-13-18, 10:39 PM
All American

1_beast is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlfan View Post
my newest son is 7 weeks and we are just transitioning to formula. he has a perfect wrestling birthday.--mid january.. hahhaha
Jokes on you. He'll turn 20 6 weeks to soon.
Old 03-14-18, 12:36 AM
All American

Maple Stang is on a distinguished road
Quote:
penguin. Who do you think is more ready for the work force? The one entering at 21 or the one at 24? I began my teaching career a few months after turning 22. I became a head varsity coach at the age of 22. This was back in 96. I loved my time getting started and feel like I did the best I could for the kids I had back then. Honestly, from a maturity stand point I was absolutely not ready for either position. I love how my life has turned out, but if I could do it over it would, I would not have rushed through it all like I did.
BS! Hold backs are done 99% of the time for athletics.
Old 03-14-18, 03:16 AM
All District

TimMast is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Stang View Post
BS! Hold backs are done 99% of the time for athletics.
+1
I wish my parents held me back 2 years...i might have gotten out of sectionals!! 😅
Old 03-14-18, 07:06 AM
All American

eyes r burning is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You lost me eyes. Im not talking about wrestling. When you graduate college- are you better off being a 21 year old college grad or a 24 year old college grad?
I didn't realize it was that hard to understand. The clear cut answer is 21 for whatever situation you're bending this into. What age did you graduate college?
Old 03-14-18, 07:18 AM
Junior Varsity

Oilers63 is on a distinguished road
I have to agree with you Maple Stang. 16 year old frosh mingling with a 13-14 year old True Frosh. They have what in common? Besides Wrestling or the sport they were held back for. No problem with having a Frosh red shirt in College. I think its a bigger deal for a TRUE age Frosh to win or even place at State than the 1-2 year hold back. Just my Opinion... Yeah i know its in the rules...Those were truly in place for kids who aren't mature or struggling in School... Not to dominate younger weaker kids...
Old 03-14-18, 08:27 AM
All District

bulldowg_Wrestling19 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ON MY MOMMA View Post
As i was chatting with some friends giving praise to these young freshman for acheiving what they did as freshman. And it was brought to my attention that kids are being held back for 1 or 2 yrs to gain an edge on oppnents. Is this true? Are they true freshman? Is this acceptable?
If serious, the OHSAA now has a rule that any student can compete in any sport until the age of 20. So, a parent could hold their student back 2 or even 3 years depending on their birthday and sport of choice. If you have a birthday in the 2nd week of March, your kid could wrestle, win a state title, and turn 20 the next day and graduate 2 months later.

I hate to say it, but I hope to God some almost 20 year old and a young freshman of 13/just turned 14 never have to get on the mat/football field together. The state seems like it's just trying to avoid any hassle with this rule, but it's pretty ludacris considering a guy like the Steelers JuJu Smith-Schushter was 20 years old last football season, or guys like Kellen Moore are the same age. Couldn't imagine if Moore's parents held him back 2 years (he still would have been eligible under the new rule).
Old 03-14-18, 08:31 AM
All World

wash.c.h.legend is on a distinguished road
Just so I understand the rule. A kid can actually wrestle at age 21 in OHSAA as long as his birthday happened during wrestling season?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-14-18, 08:38 AM
Varsity

Penguin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
penguin. Who do you think is more ready for the work force? The one entering at 21 or the one at 24? I began my teaching career a few months after turning 22. I became a head varsity coach at the age of 22. This was back in 96. I loved my time getting started and feel like I did the best I could for the kids I had back then. Honestly, from a maturity stand point I was absolutely not ready for either position. I love how my life has turned out, but if I could do it over it would, I would not have rushed through it all like I did.
It probably depends on the person, I certainly agree with you for teaching and coaching, men don't mature at 21. For a kid who wants to go to med school or engineering, he needs to get on it because extended school is a reality.
Old 03-14-18, 08:41 AM
Freshman

TheRealWjjsj is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wash.c.h.legend View Post
Just so I understand the rule. A kid can actually wrestle at age 21 in OHSAA as long as his birthday happened during wrestling season?

The day they turn 20 they become ineligible from ohsaa sports. period.

It doesn't matter if it's day 2, 67 or the day of the state finals.
Old 03-14-18, 08:44 AM
Freshman

TheRealWjjsj is on a distinguished road
FYI

http://ohsaa.org/Eligibility/Age
Old 03-14-18, 08:58 AM
All Ohio

severs0801 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

No. Day you turn 20
Old 03-14-18, 08:59 AM
All World

So looking at the ohsaa futures page may help ?

Old 03-14-18, 09:00 AM
All District

bulldowg_Wrestling19 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

No, once their 20th birthday hits, they're now ineligible.
Old 03-14-18, 09:00 AM
Freshman

dagwood is on a distinguished road
I could have honestly done this with my son who will turn 18 next week (March 21st) And will graduate at the end of May. But He always told me that If I ever held him back that he would quite the sport because he would know why I did it. Keep in mind my son is a good kid and has never had anything lower than a "C" on his report card and is also more mature than my 20 year old. Do I wish that I had 1 / 2 more years; Yes I do but could never do that to my son. Not a firm believer in the hold back idea. Although all kids mature differently.
Old 03-14-18, 09:03 AM
All World

2 year hold backs

So Johnny makes the state finals by winning the semis on Friday night, turns 20 on Saturday. Does he get second?

Or his birthday is Sunday, and the futures date looked good, but inclimate weather postponed the finals to Sunday. Damn it!!!

Old 03-14-18, 09:06 AM
Freshman

dagwood is on a distinguished road
I could have honestly done this with my son who will turn 18 next week (March 21st) And will graduate at the end of May. But He always told me that If I ever held him back that he would quite the sport because he would know why I did it. Keep in mind my son is a good kid and has never had anything lower than a "C" on his report card and is also more mature than my 20 year old. Do I wish that I had 1 / 2 more years; Yes I do but could never do that to my son. Not a firm believer in the hold back idea. Although all kids mature differently.
Old 03-14-18, 09:15 AM
All American

Fun2Bme is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Fun2Bme
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedthatkills View Post
Nope, not a single dual or tri was like this for our school in the past 8 years. Maybe go talk to your AD and tell him to stop scheduling cupcakes so your 14 year old has a good record because of all the forfeits.
Numbers are way down. The ECC, a conference of all D1 teams, had a total of approximately 59 wrestlers entered at the league tournament. There are 8 teams in the ECC. That's an average of 7 wrestlers per team...in Division 1. The 2 Cincinnati area D1 sectionals averaged 10 wrestlers per team. These are schools with 360 or more boys and most the D1 teams in Cincinnati have well over 500 boys. My math tells me that's an average of only 2% of D1 boys are wrestling.

The person discussing the price of NCAA tickets....that is a national event that caters to the entire country and even worldwide. If 2% of the US male population is interested in wrestling, that's still well over 3 million people. The Q only holds about 20,000 people. Simple supply and demand economics can account for your price hike.

Before you choose to throw out your "opinions" use some facts to back up your argument. Otherwise it's useless and maybe why your parents chose to hold you back in school.
Old 03-14-18, 09:29 AM
Freshman

UncleEd is on a distinguished road
Half of the line up for the DI team that placed 4th at this year's state tourney were strategically "redshirted" as 8th graders. I also know of at least 20 others just in the Cincy area. The practice is much more common than most probably realize. I'm personally not a fan.
Old 03-14-18, 09:34 AM
All World

jmog is on a distinguished road
Quote:

No.

If he turns 20 anytime during the season then he can't participate in that season. So the oldest they can be is 19, almost 20.
Old 03-14-18, 09:35 AM
All Ohio

Why cant they make the cut off 19 instead of 20!
Old 03-14-18, 09:38 AM
All World

jmog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So Johnny makes the state finals by winning the semis on Friday night, turns 20 on Saturday. Does he get second?

Or his birthday is Sunday, and the futures date looked good, but inclimate weather postponed the finals to Sunday. Damn it!!!

No, way I understand it is if they turn 20 anytime during the season (up through state finals) they are ineligible for the whole season. It just isn't once they turn 20.

So, if they turned 20 on this past Sunday they would be "ok" for the whole season, if they turned 20 on this past Saturday they would be ineligible for the whole season. But they could have played football as each sport's season is different.
Old 03-14-18, 09:41 AM
All Ohio

Huge is on a distinguished road
Yet another reason I'm glad I sent my daughter to a Catholic all-girls school. Imagine these 19/20 year olds showing to pick up your 14/15 year old daughter??? ,!!

One comforting thought is shortly after my son turns 23 he will graduate with an MBA ( got accounting degree last year after 4 years of college wrestling) and he starts a highly paid job at a Big 4 accounting firm. In another year he will have passed all parts of the CPA exam.# winningatreallife
Old 03-14-18, 09:46 AM
Varsity

WGTJ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge View Post
Yet another reason I'm glad I sent my daughter to a Catholic all-girls school. Imagine these 19/20 year olds showing to pick up your 14/15 year old daughter??? ,!!

One comforting thought is shortly after my son turns 23 he will graduate with an MBA ( got accounting degree last year after 4 years of college wrestling) and he starts a highly paid job at a Big 4 accounting firm. In another year he will have passed all parts of the CPA exam.# winningatreallife
Congrats to your son.

Now think about the 15/16 year old 8th grade boys going to middle school with your 11/12 year old daughter...yeah.