Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-15-18, 10:58 AM
Junior Varsity

runnerboy1510 is on a distinguished road
D1 Pickerington predictions boys and girls

Thoughts and predictions?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-18, 11:11 AM
All Ohio

Newton's Third is on a distinguished road
I've actually followed the central district a little this season as opposed to the east D2 and D3 schools.

For boys Hilliard Davidson, Gahanna, Olentangy Orange, & Pickerington North are clear favorites to advance to state with HD the likely winner. The 5th spot is close between Olentangy Liberty, Pickerington Central, and Lancaster, with Upper Arlington just a little back. It will probably go to who has the best day for the 5th spot. I lean toward PC.

For girls Hilliard Davidson is a heavy favorite to win but Granville has won the region every year they have been D1, I think. Thomas Worthington is not too far back of Granville and Olentangy Liberty and Orange should be the final two state qualifiers unless a team blows up.
Old 10-18-18, 12:46 PM
All American

mathking is on a distinguished road
I think Newton's Third is pretty much on target. One interesting thing about this regional is that all of the teams are running at the same district course on the same day (in three different races) the week before. It makes comparisons a little easier to do, and has reinforced my belief that it is hard to get kids psyched up to run their absolute maximal effort three or four weeks in a row. I can think of several times where team A beat team B at the district, lost to them at the regional and beat them at the state meet. Or where one team won convincingly at the district meet and lost convincingly at the regional.
Old 10-18-18, 02:44 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathking View Post
has reinforced my belief that it is hard to get kids psyched up to run their absolute maximal effort three or four weeks in a row. I can think of several times where team A beat team B at the district, lost to them at the regional and beat them at the state meet. Or where one team won convincingly at the district meet and lost convincingly at the regional.
I agree and have noticed this many times as well. Another factor is the competition makeup. Those with 2-3 front runners but below average depth in their top 5 may stack up better or worse in a more competitive race. District races can be dual or tri meets for the top teams without much displacing by other schools.
Old 10-18-18, 05:40 PM
All American

Yes. My teamís strength this year is depth rather than from runners. Depending on the district this can be good or bad compared to the regional race. Last decade we had a year where our girls lost to Davidson at the OCC Meet, then beat them by a bit at the district and more at the regional. With the athletes running about the same relative to each other. There was another year I remember where we were fairly close to the Davidson boys at the district and they killed us at the regional.
Old 10-18-18, 05:50 PM
All Ohio

Way back I had a boys team who at the regional put 3 in front of another teams 1st, our 4th ahead of their 3rd, and their 5th beat our 5th by 10 seconds. We won by just a few points. Between our 3rd and their 1st was over a minute but less than 6 runners from other teams in the gap. In the 10 seconds between our 5ths were over 20 runners. I forget the specific numbers but you get the idea and I'm sure you have seen things like this.
Old 10-24-18, 06:37 AM
Junior Varsity

runnerboy1510 is on a distinguished road
1 Davidson
2 Lincoln
3 Olentangy Orange
4 P. North
5 P. Central
6 Upper Arlington
7 Olentangy Liberty
8 Thomas Worthington
9 Lancaster
10 Kilbourne
11 Olentangy
12 Darby
13 New Phili
14 D. Scioto
15 St. Charles
16 New Albany

I think the top 4 are pretty set, their order may change but I don't see the top 4 teams not making it out. After the top 4 I think its going to be a battle of whoever has the best day between P. Central, Arlington, and Liberty. Currently Arlington has the best 5th runner, Central has the best #1 and Liberty has the best 1&2 combo. Will be an exciting rainy day race on the boys D1 side.
Old 10-24-18, 08:24 AM
All American

Here are my top 8 for the girls right now:
1. Davidson
2. Granville
(These two are ahead of the rest now)
3. Thomas Worthington
4. Liberty
5. Orange
6. Lancaster
7. Gahanna