Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-25-17, 12:11 AM
All World

irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWObballfan View Post
The clock starts when you transfer. He and Christie transferred in the middle of the season last year.
I did not realize they transferred mid season. So did Christie not play at CCHS or did he play in several games before bolting? He is eligible now (sat 3 games?)?
Old 12-25-17, 10:14 AM
All Region

Smalls is on a distinguished road
Christie enrolled at St. Johns, last year, the day after playing for Central vs St. John's.
Old 12-25-17, 01:35 PM
Junior Varsity

D1nwobb is on a distinguished road
As Smalls mentioned, Christie enrolled the week after SJ played Central and St. Ed's. He ended up sitting out the final 9 regular season games in 16/17. As a result, he had to sit out the first 2 this season. McKinstry enrolled a couple of weeks after Christie and sat out the final 5 games last year.

Interesting on SJ's roster that they list both his hometown and previous school as Oak Harbor. I guess Anthony Wayne and Central don't count as previous schools.
Old 12-25-17, 03:16 PM
All American

domi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
Be honest. It's both. We just don't know the numbers.

How many of God's children will you ignore, just drive on by in order to get to that b-ball player? Don't bother answering, we know. As many as you can, unless they have the $$$.

Pretty sure that wasn't the original intent of "Jesuit" education so are you sure it's being supplied at Airport HS?
I graduated way back in 93 so I can't answer how St Johns is operating nowadays but I would suspect part of what you are saying is true. There were programs back then to help the poor kids who wanted a Jesuit education and most of the kids were not stud athletes. Now it looks like many of the poor kids wanting a Jesuit education just happen to be pretty good athletes.

I'm sure part of it is also the program that has been built at St Johns. The program sells itself to kids with its success over the last 30 years.
Old 12-26-17, 02:06 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by domi View Post
I graduated way back in 93 so I can't answer how St Johns is operating nowadays but I would suspect part of what you are saying is true. There were programs back then to help the poor kids who wanted a Jesuit education and most of the kids were not stud athletes. Now it looks like many of the poor kids wanting a Jesuit education just happen to be pretty good athletes.

I'm sure part of it is also the program that has been built at St Johns. The program sells itself to kids with its success over the last 30 years.
at the best homeboy you're coming to this late or at the worst, you're a johnnie uh I mean, playing naivete.

We've been through these discussions on the board to distraction way too many times. We all generally know the infamous 20-20 program, been through the discussions and opinion flinging of the when's and why's and timing. We know of the kids that earned "schollies" cleaning the cafeteria vs. other things maybe. On the boards, nothing is being said not also heard from people within the SJJ community, about how that program was and is being used, who was running the school, is it really true to the mottos or just a wanna-be prep school... Been there, threw that around.

But we've learned to live with the compromise. johnnies will recognize the hypocrisy they throw out by not throwing it out, be humble, realize the school's rep is built by who they let in the door, not who they send out and we mostly still cheer on whoever leaves district to represent the area, because generally, they're still a team of kids from here.

I think there is only one truly closed district in the area, and they're the ones that got punished. So except for them, we recognize most operate with some similarity, but sjj seems to be the only one pretending they don't. So they get the reputation on the boards (and in the area really) of being horse's azzes.

Stay humble, the threads stay on track. If the school can manage to instill that into their students, maybe someday the recruits will even achieve their potential and we'll see a state championship before Ed creates a sinkhole with his foot stomping tantrums. Just realize most people are more impressed when a team is built from the ground up (those old days you mention), regardless the end result versus even a state champion built from mid-season transfers. Ultimately, they're still kids from here, regardless where they chose to go to school or why.

I think that should generally catch you up on about 15 year's of board discussion.
Old 12-27-17, 06:16 PM
Varsity

NWObballfan is on a distinguished road
SJJ fell to Crossroads (CA) 61-59. Titans were led by Vince Williams with 23 and Houston King with 20. Crossroads shot it really well.
Old 12-27-17, 07:55 PM
All Region

buccaneers2002 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Kizer's brother is a freshman at SFS, correct? Has to sting the Irish faithful.
A complete slap in the face to Central Catholic. After all that school did for DeShone, they send their daughter to NDA and youngest son to Bancroft. Makes no sense.
Old 12-27-17, 10:51 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
SJJ fell to Crossroads (CA) 61-59. Titans were led by Vince Williams with 23 and Houston King with 20. Crossroads shot it really well.
If they shot it really well and only won by 2, I'd give SJJ best out of three.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buccaneers2002 View Post
A complete slap in the face to Central Catholic. After all that school did for DeShone, they send their daughter to NDA and youngest son to Bancroft. Makes no sense.
Didn't want to fall under the shadow? If bitterness is the response, maybe they did the best thing. Isn't Pop a cop in the TPS system? What're YOU complaining about?

This isn't the old days of parishes sending their kids to Catholic school. It's the new days of mercenaries sending their kids to "Catholic" school. Seen many siblings split for athletic and social reasons. Wouldn't sweat it.
Old 12-28-17, 10:52 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by buccaneers2002 View Post
Makes perfect sense...

They allow their kids a say in their future. Perhaps the youngest did not want to live in big brother's shadow, which will happen anyway.

Derich Weiland's older brother was a standout at SF. Cheathan Norrils was a standout for SJ and now younger brother Jonzell is at CCHS. James Johnson was a standout PG at SF, his younger brother headed to CCHS before finishing at Rogers. Nolan Roberts (SF), Brian Roberts (SJ), Shonda Roberts (SUA). This is nothing new. Allan Gant's dad was a standout at SF. People and their kids will head wherever they best perceive success at that time.

And after all, one could argue Deshone Kizer did more for CCHS than CCHS did for him. He would have been a blue-chip recruit whether he attended CCHS or SJ or Bowsher or Toledo Christian. How much pay did he get for all of those commercials and billboards that plastered his mug all over the city to recruit incoming kids? Two-way street. Sort of.
Old 12-29-17, 04:54 PM
Varsity

SJJ loses to Westchester (CA) 62-48 to drop to 5-2 on the season. Williams/King combined for 30 and no other player had more than 4. Will be Elite 8 and done again if they don't have some other guys step up.
Old 12-30-17, 10:08 PM
All American

FremontKeith is on a distinguished road
Fremont Ross ends 2017 on a modest two game win streak. The Little Giants edged Lima Senior last night 50-48, and beat Clyde tonight, 48-44.
Old 01-02-18, 10:36 AM
All District

Cardboard Palace is on a distinguished road
The Fremont/Lima score surprised me. It sounds like Fremont is getting better as the season goes on.
Old 01-03-18, 08:37 AM
All District

Posted this same thing on the NLL thread;

Blade poll for division 1.

St. Johns
Southview
Northview
Whitmer
St. Francis

This looks right to me based on current record, but think Northview would lose to both Whitmer and St. Francis.

Start, Findlay or Anthony Wayne would be #6 if they went that deep.
Old 01-03-18, 05:37 PM
All Ohio

cchs1983 is an unknown quantity at this point
Anybody know how long Vince will be out, if at all??
Old 01-03-18, 06:41 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchs1983 View Post
Anybody know how long Vince will be out, if at all??
Hearing he'll miss some time, might be a good thing. Lichtenburg scored 20 points in their last San Diego game.
Old 01-06-18, 11:40 AM
Freshman

Eaglesrize is on a distinguished road
Will St. Johns suspend their player for the sucker punch to Reddicks face behind the play right in front of their coach and bench?
Old 01-07-18, 09:05 AM
All Yappi

First post, for that?

Video evidence or it's hearsay. I suspect it would depend upon the situation and the degree? If just your normal in-game sucker punch, probably hold a parade. If the player was drunk while deliverying the punch, there will need be a lot of public pressure and ridicule then maybe a non-penalty penalty will be applied preceded and followed by a lot of sweeping.
Old 01-07-18, 12:20 PM
Varsity

Quote:
First post, for that?

Video evidence or it's hearsay. I suspect it would depend upon the situation and the degree? If just your normal in-game sucker punch, probably hold a parade. If the player was drunk while deliverying the punch, there will need be a lot of public pressure and ridicule then maybe a non-penalty penalty will be applied preceded and followed by a lot of sweeping.
Pretty sure this guy was saying that Clay would be .500 in the league and would have a couple all-league players at the beginning of the season. Deleted those posts?
Old 01-07-18, 01:39 PM
All World

Clay is in a really weird place at the moment. Keep in mind, regarding kids who came up through Oregon Public Schools through 8th grade, there are two 6'6" juniors at Stritch and a 6'3" sophomore at St. Johns. That is correct, TWO 6'6" kids and ONE 6'3" kid. You cannot teach height. Most school administrators would be jumping up and down asking why?! Yet, not a peep. I cannot speak for everyone but I do not think Clay has a varsity player whose dad played HS anything let alone bball. Makes for some out of touch folks. Brain drain has hit Oregon hard.
Old 01-07-18, 08:07 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Pretty sure this guy was saying that Clay would be .500 in the league and would have a couple all-league players at the beginning of the season. Deleted those posts?
Might be the same person, different ID. That still wouldn't have any relevance would that have to his accusation that I can see. I'd be interested if it happened or not and if so, was it dealt with. Who knows, maybe it was instigated?
Old 01-07-18, 08:26 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
Clay is in a really weird place at the moment. Keep in mind, regarding kids who came up through Oregon Public Schools through 8th grade, there are two 6'6" juniors at Stritch and a 6'3" sophomore at St. Johns. That is correct, TWO 6'6" kids and ONE 6'3" kid. You cannot teach height. Most school administrators would be jumping up and down asking why?! Yet, not a peep. I cannot speak for everyone but I do not think Clay has a varsity player whose dad played HS anything let alone bball. Makes for some out of touch folks. Brain drain has hit Oregon hard.
If those kids came up through Oregon's public schools (Though I'm aware they're not all from Oregon public schools), then I wouldn't say brain drain has hit Oregon.

Now I've always liked CS, supported CS in moderate tones but something's changed. They used to support the neighborhood. Now they're no where to be seen except promotional time. First that deal with the Kateri, then the land and now let's enroll whoever we can as long as they can play ball? Someone seems to have lost their ethical way.

Old news, the private school jock supporters have sussed out that public schools are REALLY, REALLY good up to eighth grade or whatever grades their failing system gave up on yet the public high schools apparently can't teach a dog to eat meat so the privates just had to keep the more name brandable high schools, for the good of humanity! lol.
Old 01-07-18, 09:20 PM
All World

Quote:
If those kids came up through Oregon's public schools (Though I'm aware they're not all from Oregon public schools), then I wouldn't say brain drain has hit Oregon.

Now I've always liked CS, supported CS in moderate tones but something's changed. They used to support the neighborhood. Now they're no where to be seen except promotional time. First that deal with the Kateri, then the land and now let's enroll whoever we can as long as they can play ball? Someone seems to have lost their ethical way.

Old news, the private school jock supporters have sussed out that public schools are REALLY, REALLY good up to eighth grade or whatever grades their failing system gave up on yet the public high schools apparently can't teach a dog to eat meat so the privates just had to keep the more name brandable high schools, for the good of humanity! lol.
I intertwined two topics that I should not have.

My brain drain comment was more in regard to all of the old former athletes moving or sending their kids elsewhere. Mostly moving elsewhere. Everyone knows that NWOhio is not trending toward high growth but when someone does move to the area, to work for a Dana or a Promedica they are not moving to Oregon. These new professionals to the area are moving to Perrysburg and AW. There is truth behind what I say when it comes to dads and I do not believe Clay has one kid on their varsity team whose father played HS basketball. Not that a dad needs to play but usually when you have fathers who have been around basketball or other sports they seem to "get" certain aspects that are otherwise lost on novices which create, as I said, a false expectation (ie: my kid is heading to OSU). Clay used to have some really solid basketball players and height. Kids who played basketball year round and today, aside from the talented freshman Wagonfeld, most Eagle kids pick up a basketball in November and drop it in March. Most kids on today's Clay team would struggle to make some of the Eagle teams from the 70's through 90's. I'll come back to the height aspect.

The other comment is that rather than nurturing solid relationships with kids who have potential through ability and or God given attributes (size) the coaches and administration do very little. The reality is no one seems to care when kids walk. It has become acceptable. Matter of fact there are sometimes resentment feelings of good riddance. As I said before, you cannot teach height.

A couple years ago the who's who of local volleyball All-Stars at St. Ursula, Notre Dame, and CCHS were all Oregon girls.

This season Clay is the only D-I school of its demographic that I know of that does not have a freshman girls basketball team.

And to top things off, one of the cities biggest civic benefactors, a former Clay star who played college basketball, pulled his junior high kid and sent him to Rossford. Another kid followed suite.

If I am principal, AD, Superintendent, or a board member I am jumping up and down asking why all of our talent is heading elsewhere? Why, as a school of our size are we not fielding freshman teams? Where are we failing? How can we fix this?

One of the first things Joe Palka said when he came to Whitmer was he wanted to stop kids from leaving to the Catholic schools. At that time Whitmer was bleeding kids to SF, CCHS, and SJ and he accomplished that for the most part and it paid off dividends. Unlike Washington Local, Oregon City Schools are an open enrollment district. They have struggled financially like so many other districts but in my opinion do not do enough to sell themselves. After all, good HS sports lifts community spirit, creates civic pride, and most importantly helps pass levies.

Last edited by irish_buffalo; 01-07-18 at 09:35 PM.
Old 01-07-18, 09:29 PM
All World

Quote:

Remember when E. Toledo, a community of what at it's peak, 20,000(?) 30,000(?), had 6 Catholic parishes (Good Shepherd, St. Louis, Sacred Heart, St. Thomas, St. Stephen, and Holy Rosary) and 5 parishes with schools (minus St. Louis)? These schools pumped out 100-150 good little Catholic 8th graders a year. Add St. Jerome and All Saints and some years it was 200+ little angels. With the exception of All Saints not one school is left.

I know you know all this but watching all of the Catholic schools reinvent themselves for survival has been interesting. CS always sold itself as the place you could go if you wanted a smaller school and for most athletes since the early 90's a place you could play sports if you could not play at CCHS, SF, SJ or your public HS. Then, all of a sudden, a couple of really good kids decided to attend CS and play for Coach Kachmerek and that was it. Others followed and ensued and here we are. Very glad for CS but still not a fan of the "new" model but welcome to 21st century capitalism.

Nuns used to ensure families could send their kids to Catholic schools even if they could not afford it no matter how fast or slow you ran. And while there are programs today to help it just ain't the same but that is probably better suited for the Debate Forum where Hillary will be to blame.
Old 01-07-18, 10:22 PM
Freshman

Eaglesrize is on a distinguished road
I saw the punch, wasn't taking video. Sorry.

Those private school kids just can't handle competion in the TRAC, so they play in a league below CYO.
Old 01-08-18, 08:23 AM
Junior Varsity

chrundle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesrize View Post

Those private school kids just can't handle competion in the TRAC, so they play in a league below CYO.
If you are referring to Stritch and the TAAC, I donít think Clay has a single kid that would crack Stricthís 9-man rotation. In terms of the league, I would take Stritch, MV, and Toledo Christian comfortably over Clay.
Old 01-08-18, 09:15 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesrize View Post

Which one? The one that beat you by 45 this past weekend?

If there is video post it, or better yet send it to the OHSAA. Was it blatant? Why would the SJ player do it, especially up by so much? I've see a lot of kids get hit in the face over the years over an inadvertent arm going to defend elsewhere. I've seen SJ play twice now and never noticed dirty play or one dirty player.

Didn't a Lima player get knocked unconscious earlier this year by a blatant foul from a Clay player?
Old 01-08-18, 10:35 AM
All District

http://www.davey1.com/Schedules/LeagueStandings.pdf

Three Rivers Conference
Toledo St. John's 7 - 2 4 - 0
Toledo Whitmer 8 - 2 4 - 1
Toledo St. Francis 7 - 2 4 - 1
Findlay 7 - 3 2 - 2
Lima Senior 6 - 5 2 - 3
Toledo Central Catholic 5 - 3 1 - 2
Fremont Ross 3 - 5 1 - 4
Oregon Clay 3 - 8 0 - 5

Is Williams playing Friday? If not St. Francis has a good shot.
Old 01-08-18, 11:14 AM
All Yappi

Alluded to but I don't think anyone specifically said. What happened to the SJJ player?
Old 01-08-18, 11:22 AM
All District

Quote:
Alluded to but I don't think anyone specifically said. What happened to the SJJ player?
I have not heard anything about this beyond Yappi.

To be clear with my comment above Williams didn't play vs Clay, so him potentially not playing vs St. Francis would be a result of what I assume is an injury and not anything to do with what the Clay guy posted.
Old 01-08-18, 01:05 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboard Palace View Post
I have not heard anything about this beyond Yappi.

To be clear with my comment above Williams didn't play vs Clay, so him potentially not playing vs St. Francis would be a result of what I assume is an injury and not anything to do with what the Clay guy posted.
Not playing was mentioned before the Clay game so I'd say the presumption was correct.

Hopefully not hurt badly and back soon? Senior right?