Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 02-09-18, 04:15 PM
TBone 22 TBone 22 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 11-17-12
Location: East Side
Posts: 199
TBone 22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ene456 View Post
Typical. Banging your head on a wall getting no results. Definition of Ignorance is; Doing the same thing over and over again & expecting a different result.

Last edited by TBone 22; 02-09-18 at 04:37 PM.
  #32  
Old 02-11-18, 01:26 PM
CleBen CleBen is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 01-16-08
Posts: 374
CleBen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone 22 View Post
This is 2018. Not 1970. All people today are "for themselves" There will never be another Augie Bossu. Joe Shaefer left for greener pastures. Even Ben Malbasa left Benedictine. Jeff Rotzky would bring his proven methods to Benedictine and win. Time for the "Old Guard" to take a step back. Welcome to the Millennial.
It seems as if Benedictine is already in the Millennial age, so I don't know what you're promoting. The two guys you mentioned are the most recent Bengal coaches who stayed short-term. And the Bengals already have a good coach in Carter Welo.

Are you saying that Welo should be fired and Rotzky hired?
  #33  
Old 02-11-18, 05:54 PM
TBone 22 TBone 22 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 11-17-12
Location: East Side
Posts: 199
TBone 22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBen View Post
It seems as if Benedictine is already in the Millennial age, so I don't know what you're promoting. The two guys you mentioned are the most recent Bengal coaches who stayed short-term. And the Bengals already have a good coach in Carter Welo.

Are you saying that Welo should be fired and Rotzky hired?
I'm saying that Jeff Rotzky would give Benedictine the best chance of winning multiple state championships. The reason I mentioned Schaeffer & Malbasa is because they both left the program for whatever reason, they left. The complaint on Rotzky is he always leaves. So did current past coaches at Benedictine.
I am saying that wherever Rotzky ends up. He Wins. Period. Proven track record. Hiring a guy with no head coaching experience at a school like Benedictine is not acceptable. Learning to be a HC, on the job, gives you a poor chance at winning immediately. There is nothing wrong with Carter Welo, if you want to wait 3-5 years until he can figure it out.
  #34  
Old 02-13-18, 12:19 PM
fr willie fr willie is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 07-10-14
Posts: 103
fr willie is on a distinguished road
Coach Schaefer had ZERO head coaching experience. So that blows your theory.
  #35  
Old 02-13-18, 12:39 PM
ene456 ene456 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 11-18-13
Posts: 120
ene456 is on a distinguished road
TBone has an axe to grind of some sort. How are winter sports doing?
  #36  
Old 02-13-18, 02:05 PM
fr willie fr willie is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 07-10-14
Posts: 103
fr willie is on a distinguished road
Winter sports are going well. Wrestling as a few good graplers in the lower weights. Swimming is doing and our diver is having a great year. Hockey is a little low on numbers buy plays hard every game and has a good record. Basketball is 14-5 and the 4 seed at Div. 1 Euclid. We play for the NCL tittle on Friday against Hoban.
  #37  
Old 02-13-18, 04:38 PM
TBone 22 TBone 22 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 11-17-12
Location: East Side
Posts: 199
TBone 22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr willie View Post
Coach Schaefer had ZERO head coaching experience. So that blows your theory.
Schaefer is a Bennie grad. He got it. But still left. Why is it that my opinion, because different than you Bennie guys, is wrong, or doesn't make sense. Rotzsky wins wherever he goes. PERIOD! He would win at Benedictine too. Big Time! Chanel, State Champs, Maple Hts State Champs, Cleveland Hts, from 3-7 to the D-1 Playoffs in 2 years, Euclid, to the D-1 Playoffs, First Year. You guys must be Browns fans. You've gotten too used to mediocre.
  #38  
Old 02-13-18, 05:02 PM
bengals wrestling bengals wrestling is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 09-24-15
Location: Brunswick
Posts: 146
bengals wrestling is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone 22 View Post
Schaefer is a Bennie grad. He got it. But still left. Why is it that my opinion, because different than you Bennie guys, is wrong, or doesn't make sense. Rotzsky wins wherever he goes. PERIOD! He would win at Benedictine too. Big Time! Chanel, State Champs, Maple Hts State Champs, Cleveland Hts, from 3-7 to the D-1 Playoffs in 2 years, Euclid, to the D-1 Playoffs, First Year. You guys must be Browns fans. You've gotten too used to mediocre.
If I remember correctly, Rotzsky was already gone when Maple Hts won it's state championship. You must have gotten to used to throwing facts up against the wall and seeing if they stick. And to your point, 4 schools in what, ten years (maybe less). There's a reason why he bounces around and it's not a good reason either.

Oh, by the way, Welo took us from 3-7 in DIII to the DII playoff in one year.

TBone don't go away angry, just go away.
  #39  
Old 02-13-18, 05:19 PM
fbrox fbrox is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 08-23-10
Posts: 634
fbrox is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone 22 View Post
Schaefer is a Bennie grad. He got it. But still left. Why is it that my opinion, because different than you Bennie guys, is wrong, or doesn't make sense. Rotzsky wins wherever he goes. PERIOD! He would win at Benedictine too. Big Time! Chanel, State Champs, Maple Hts State Champs, Cleveland Hts, from 3-7 to the D-1 Playoffs in 2 years, Euclid, to the D-1 Playoffs, First Year. You guys must be Browns fans. You've gotten too used to mediocre.
Just remember, if you sell your soul to the devil, sooner or later you will have to go to hell.
  #40  
Old 02-13-18, 05:59 PM
E.S. Furgeson E.S. Furgeson is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 08-24-13
Location: NE Lorain County
Posts: 443
E.S. Furgeson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrox View Post
Just remember, if you sell your soul to the devil, sooner or later you will have to go to hell.


I am pretty sure he was not the coach at maple heights when they win the state title. Also, are you purposely spelling his name wrong? Was he the Chanel coach when they won it or was it powers?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  #41  
Old 02-13-18, 06:07 PM
fr willie fr willie is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 07-10-14
Posts: 103
fr willie is on a distinguished road
Powers was the coach at Chanel in 2001 when they won State.Another swing and a miss T Bone.
  #42  
Old 02-13-18, 10:57 PM
fr willie fr willie is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 07-10-14
Posts: 103
fr willie is on a distinguished road
Unfortunately that is the state of coaching these days
Look at the coach at St V , he has a great team returning and he leaves for Akron U. The coaches have left St Eds and many other successful programs. It's the way things are these days.There aren't any Chico Kyles or Augie Bossus anymore.
  #43  
Old 02-14-18, 04:15 PM
Findy15 Findy15 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 11-15-04
Posts: 612
Findy15 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr willie View Post
Unfortunately that is the state of coaching these days
Look at the coach at St V , he has a great team returning and he leaves for Akron U. The coaches have left St Eds and many other successful programs. It's the way things are these days.There aren't any Chico Kyles or Augie Bossus anymore.
Doug Miller, who is a proven winner, would be a guy who would stay at Benedictine for at least 20 years. He has coached at many levels. High School, College, Semi Pro. Turning everywhere he goes into a winner. When he took over at Richmond Hts they were 0-10 perennially, after 2 seasons they were in the mix for the playoffs. Players stayed instead of leaving for St Ed's or Benedictine. One athlete is currently playing for the Naval Academy. He was recruited to take over a 0-10 Fischer Catholic team, in year 1 they went 5-5. A snafu by the athletic director caused forfeits of 5 games due to an ineligible student that transferred to the school No fault of Doug. If Benedictine wants a lifer with a proven track record Doug Miller would be your guy. He is a Great Guy, very affable, recruits, talks with parents, friends with alumni, and Most Importantly Knows the Game of Football. All the qualities of a coach that most schools are looking for.
  #44  
Old 02-14-18, 04:20 PM
Findy15 Findy15 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 11-15-04
Posts: 612
Findy15 is on a distinguished road
Tbone might be incorrect with details of Rotsky. But he is right about one thing. The guy wins wherever he goes. Like him or not he has a proven track record.
  #45  
Old 02-14-18, 07:38 PM
hsfan60 hsfan60 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-10-06
Posts: 1,854
hsfan60 is on a distinguished road
Different coaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone 22 View Post
Schaefer is a Bennie grad. He got it. But still left. Why is it that my opinion, because different than you Bennie guys, is wrong, or doesn't make sense. Rotzsky wins wherever he goes. PERIOD! He would win at Benedictine too. Big Time! Chanel, State Champs, Maple Hts State Champs, Cleveland Hts, from 3-7 to the D-1 Playoffs in 2 years, Euclid, to the D-1 Playoffs, First Year. You guys must be Browns fans. You've gotten too used to mediocre.
Maple and Chanel won under different coaches after he couldn't get it done, fact.
  #46  
Old 02-14-18, 09:31 PM
bengals wrestling bengals wrestling is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 09-24-15
Location: Brunswick
Posts: 146
bengals wrestling is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennies'01 View Post
Let's be honest here, Rotsky put the Chanel program in a position to be competing for (and eventually winning) state titles, even if he wasn't there when it happened.
Then by your logic, Ben Mebassa put Benedictine in position to win a state championship and compete for others. It was under his watch that Baker, Layne, Lamar Davis and others came to Benedictine. However, there was no way he (Melbassa) would have ever won a state title with his style of coaching.
It took another coach to mold that talent and win the big games. In Benedictine case it was Coach Schaefer. Good players do not make the coach better. A good coach should make his players better.
  #47  
Old 02-15-18, 06:50 AM
OSU_FB11 OSU_FB11 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 02-27-17
Posts: 21
OSU_FB11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengals wrestling View Post
Then by your logic, Ben Mebassa put Benedictine in position to win a state championship and compete for others. It was under his watch that Baker, Layne, Lamar Davis and others came to Benedictine. However, there was no way he (Melbassa) would have ever won a state title with his style of coaching.
It took another coach to mold that talent and win the big games. In Benedictine case it was Coach Schaefer. Good players do not make the coach better. A good coach should make his players better.
Coach MALBASA did indeed put BHS into position to get that title and also has greatly impacted the programs he has been at... Lake, BHS, NDCL and now US all have become better under his coaching- cant argue facts
  #48  
Old 02-15-18, 07:18 AM
fr willie fr willie is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 07-10-14
Posts: 103
fr willie is on a distinguished road
If you want to stick to the facts "OSU" you should know the facts. Malbasa was not the head coach at Lake , he was the HC at Elyria Catholic. As far as bringing in kids ,he was very good ,but that reckless coaching style he uses is not good for winning State Championships.
  #49  
Old 02-15-18, 09:45 AM
OSU_FB11 OSU_FB11 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 02-27-17
Posts: 21
OSU_FB11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr willie View Post
If you want to stick to the facts "OSU" you should know the facts. Malbasa was not the head coach at Lake , he was the HC at Elyria Catholic. As far as bringing in kids ,he was very good ,but that reckless coaching style he uses is not good for winning State Championships.
My apologies, I don't know how I came up with Lake
Its a 'unique' style for sure, but sure looks like his players dont mind and something has to be said for that. As far as winning State Championships, yes at BHS that is the end goal, US, NDCL and EC have been put into spots, under his direction that would be hard to argue they would be in without him
  #50  
Old 02-15-18, 03:36 PM
Findy15 Findy15 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 11-15-04
Posts: 612
Findy15 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr willie View Post
If you want to stick to the facts "OSU" you should know the facts. Malbasa was not the head coach at Lake , he was the HC at Elyria Catholic. As far as bringing in kids ,he was very good ,but that reckless coaching style he uses is not good for winning State Championships.
fr willie nothing about Doug Miller? C'mon you know.
  #51  
Old 02-16-18, 09:36 AM
fr willie fr willie is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 07-10-14
Posts: 103
fr willie is on a distinguished road
Nothing wrong with Coach Miller as a matter of fact I'm a fan . Having said that I believe our current staff with Coach Welo leading the way is ready to bust out and lead us to a State title. I really like our freshmen class and we already have commits from some very talented incoming young men. With Coach Welo and Coach Brown we our in good hands for the seeable future.
  #52  
Old 02-16-18, 10:34 AM
Irish Football Irish Football is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 03-10-17
Posts: 156
Irish Football is on a distinguished road
I have heard StV vs Benny in week 3. Can you guys confirm that? I know there were a lot of holes to fill in our schedule this year so I hope this is true. Would be a very entertaining game.
  #53  
Old 02-16-18, 11:46 AM
fr willie fr willie is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 07-10-14
Posts: 103
fr willie is on a distinguished road
Yes this is confirmed and very good matchup.
  #54  
Old 02-16-18, 12:39 PM
E.S. Furgeson E.S. Furgeson is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 08-24-13
Location: NE Lorain County
Posts: 443
E.S. Furgeson is on a distinguished road
Forgive me Father did you say that you have commitments from talented young men? don't you mean that a number of the boys who applied to and were accepted by the admissions department plan to play football as freshman?
  #55  
Old 02-16-18, 02:06 PM
Auggie's Avatar
Auggie Auggie is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-02-02
Location: The Other Side
Posts: 13,539
Auggie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr willie View Post
Yes this is confirmed and very good matchup.
Word is for only 1 year with Central Catholic taking this spot in '19-'20. Not a fan of this move as in Div II computer points are at a premium and CCC doesn't provide much in that way.
  #56  
Old 02-16-18, 07:15 PM
Auggie's Avatar
Auggie Auggie is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-02-02
Location: The Other Side
Posts: 13,539
Auggie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennies'01 View Post
Before Rotsky got to Chanel the football program was an absolute dumpster fire. I think we're talking historically bad. I was young at the time and didn't pay much attention to small school football, but I do remember that they were awful. Perhaps someone who knows can clarify. Anyhow, he turned the program around into a perennial contender and it honestly doesn't matter if he didn't win a state title while he was there. The same is true about Maple Heights, though they weren't quite as bad as Chanel. I don't think either scenario is analogous to Malbassa having modest success while at an already-established historical powerhouse followed by someone who helped the program take a significant step forward.
Chanel was really bad and the school was struggling too, Rotsky came in and turned it around. But as I have said many times before it was no longer a Chanel program but a Rotsky program and the power that be at Chanel didn't like that. No way would a Benny ever let a Rotsky or anyone else co-opt the program and let it be run in that type of fashion, even if it did mean titles.
  #57  
Old 02-16-18, 07:16 PM
Auggie's Avatar
Auggie Auggie is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-02-02
Location: The Other Side
Posts: 13,539
Auggie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennies'01 View Post
Computer points aside, I'd like to see SVSM on the schedule for football every year.
+1

Makes sense that they should be in the NCL. Still do not understand why not.
  #58  
Old 02-18-18, 08:04 PM
TBone 22 TBone 22 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 11-17-12
Location: East Side
Posts: 199
TBone 22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
Chanel was really bad and the school was struggling too, Rotsky came in and turned it around. But as I have said many times before it was no longer a Chanel program but a Rotsky program and the power that be at Chanel didn't like that. No way would a Benny ever let a Rotsky or anyone else co-opt the program and let it be run in that type of fashion, even if it did mean titles.
If a coach is willing to help fund a program. Why not? Benedictine would benefit from what Jeff Rotzky brings with him.
  #59  
Old 02-18-18, 09:02 PM
Cougarfan22 Cougarfan22 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 08-27-16
Posts: 883
Cougarfan22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
+1

Makes sense that they should be in the NCL. Still do not understand why not.
Basketball. Too many conference games. Not enough flexibility to play the schedule they want to play. Kids from Lorain or Columbus wouldn’t come to Akron to play in the NCL.
  #60  
Old 02-19-18, 07:38 AM
fr willie fr willie is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 07-10-14
Posts: 103
fr willie is on a distinguished road
Applied , made a finacial deposit ,passed the entrance exam and approved by the admissions department is a commitment by a young man and his family.I don't know or care where you were going Mr Ferrgie but I thought I would let you know the process.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2018 Canton McKinley Bulldogs Football Season IUDOGS Football 621 10-22-18 08:03 AM
Benedictine football alum's inspiring fight against ALS CleBen Football 2 12-15-17 01:51 PM
2017-2018 Basketball Schedules Yappi Boys Basketball 60 11-30-17 01:53 PM
Week 11: Cleveland St. Ignatius v. Massillon Perry perry1480 Football 276 11-04-17 08:15 PM
Challenge Game (9/29): Benedictine (4-1) at Notre Dame-Cathedral Latin (5-0) Yappi Football 24 09-30-17 01:07 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:43 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz