Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Closed Thread

Old 09-27-18, 08:38 AM
All Ohio

LibertyTrails is on a distinguished road
Benedictine is playing 5 Sophomore OL this season from what I gather. The brawn is coming.
Old 10-01-18, 02:39 PM
All District

TBone 22 is on a distinguished road
Freshman have 1 loss. Have several leaders. Combining with the sophomore class next season, should be for a good if not great season.
Old 10-03-18, 02:40 PM
All Ohio

Findy15 is on a distinguished road
CYO Day Saturday at the Benedictine Game. Wear your CYO Team Jersey. 11:30am alumni greeting at the stadium. 1pm game vs NDCL. See You At The Game.
Old 10-04-18, 05:06 PM
All District

parkhaven is an unknown quantity at this point
Another transfer?

What is the story on Benedictine's D End transferring to Berea Midpark? It looks like Benedictine needs 50 freshmen each year to cover all of the transfers out in their junior and senior years.
Old 10-04-18, 08:07 PM
Freshman

FootballDad8 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkhaven View Post
What is the story on Benedictine's D End transferring to Berea Midpark? It looks like Benedictine needs 50 freshmen each year to cover all of the transfers out in their junior and senior years.
What imaginary hat did you pick that from? I donít even think anyone on the Benedictine team lives in Berea. Plus who would want to go to Midpark, thatís almost as bad as Valley Forge?
Old 10-04-18, 08:33 PM
All District

parkhaven is an unknown quantity at this point
My tech's son is sitting next to him in class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballDad8 View Post
What imaginary hat did you pick that from? I donít even think anyone on the Benedictine team lives in Berea. Plus who would want to go to Midpark, thatís almost as bad as Valley Forge?
I think his first day at class was this past Monday. My tech's son plays for BM and said that the Benedictine transfer has to sit out this season because he was playing for Benedictine before he transferred. Wow! I'm more on top of the transfer situation at Benedictine that the Bennie fans. LOL!
Old 10-05-18, 09:48 PM
Junior Varsity

TheRule is on a distinguished road
Obviously a critical part of the season coming up. Seems like they need to run the table to even have a prayer of making the playoffs.

Welo is 0-7 against Hoban, Padua, and Lake Catholic since coming to Benedictine.

He'll have a chance to get to 2-7 and avoid 0-9 against these three teams in the next few weeks.
Old 10-07-18, 12:05 AM
All District

TRBengal is on a distinguished road
Nice victory over NDCL.........

The Bennies really stepped up their game against NDCL, a high-scoring offense with a number of fine players.

It was a bit tense in the first half when we couldn't stop the run, but an adjustment to bring the LB's closer to the line of scrimmage helped plug the holes. When NDCL started passing, our defense turned up the heat on the pass rush. So, some very nice balance in the adjustments on both sides of the ball.

Lots of dropped balls made this game closer than it should have been, but Jovan Goodson bailed us out with 162 yards rushing and a blast into the end zone with 90 seconds to go.

A critical decision made by Coach Welo was to avoid trying a makeable 50-yard field goal with 50 seconds remaining with the score 30-26, and punting the ball, which our guys executed to perfection down to inside the 1 yard line.

Lots of fans appear to be pointing to 2020 for a run at the State Title. I hope we can field another QB who throws as well as Demchuk.

Go Bengals!
Old 10-07-18, 12:22 AM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
Benny go 2 1 snd weill makes the playoffs, the region is s o weak.
Old 10-07-18, 10:09 AM
All American

hsfan60 is on a distinguished road
2020??

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRBengal View Post
The Bennies really stepped up their game against NDCL, a high-scoring offense with a number of fine players.

It was a bit tense in the first half when we couldn't stop the run, but an adjustment to bring the LB's closer to the line of scrimmage helped plug the holes. When NDCL started passing, our defense turned up the heat on the pass rush. So, some very nice balance in the adjustments on both sides of the ball.

Lots of dropped balls made this game closer than it should have been, but Jovan Goodson bailed us out with 162 yards rushing and a blast into the end zone with 90 seconds to go.

A critical decision made by Coach Welo was to avoid trying a makeable 50-yard field goal with 50 seconds remaining with the score 30-26, and punting the ball, which our guys executed to perfection down to inside the 1 yard line.

Lots of fans appear to be pointing to 2020 for a run at the State Title. I hope we can field another QB who throws as well as Demchuk.

Go Bengals!
With the guy at HOban and his JR talent acquisition methods it will be really tough to have more players than them, imho.
Old 10-07-18, 10:10 AM
All American

hsfan60 is on a distinguished road
stay out of the ncl threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1227 View Post
Benny go 2 1 snd weill makes the playoffs, the region is s o weak.
your clueless!
Old 10-07-18, 11:26 AM
All Ohio

Redwing is on a distinguished road
Quite an unexpected turn of events, and a crushing loss for NDCL. If Benny can find 2 more wins (one of them needs to be Padua), they have a really good shot to get in at 5-5 and join Hoban as the only 2 NCL Blue teams to get in the playoffs.
Old 10-07-18, 11:59 AM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
Bemmy can win 2 games easy.
Old 10-07-18, 12:06 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1227 View Post
Bemmy can win 2 games easy.
They have to beat Padua, just beating LC and Walsh likely won't be good enough points-wise. Beat Padua, and they likely win 3 and go 6-4, as Lake and Walsh are obviously not good.
Old 10-07-18, 12:23 PM
All District

fac974 is an unknown quantity at this point
Was hoping to hear parkhavens breakdown of the game by now.
Old 10-07-18, 04:21 PM
All Ohio

wrestling125 is on a distinguished road
Parkhaven is an idiot. He thinks that NDCL should be the top ranked team in the state.
Old 10-08-18, 09:11 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Nice W for Benny and most fans of the Bengals program would have been happy with a competitive game. It appears Notre Dame Academy just cannot break through and beat Benny; how can they think of themselves as an elite program when they cannot beat an extremely young and raw team? It may cost the Lions a spot in the hyper competitive Region 9 playoff field. I am sure a lot of Benny fans feel for them
Old 10-08-18, 09:54 AM
All Region

tribefan23 is on a distinguished road
I think Benny still needs to win out to make the playoffs. Beating Walsh does nothing for them. LC is a must win IMO, and Padua is 5-2 but hasn't beaten anyone, so they're hard to get a read on.

Looking at their region, the top 6 are pretty much set (in whatever order). Benny has an outside shot at sneaking in. Riverside and Brush play each other still and both still have 1 other tough conference game, so anything can happen there. Twinsburg still has Wadsworth and Nordonia, so theyre likely to go 1-2 down the stretch, and Mayfield doesn't have a lot of Harbin points left on their schedule. Benny might just luck out and make the playoffs with the prize of a first round beatdown in week 11
Old 10-08-18, 10:14 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribefan23 View Post
I think Benny still needs to win out to make the playoffs. Beating Walsh does nothing for them. LC is a must win IMO, and Padua is 5-2 but hasn't beaten anyone, so they're hard to get a read on.

Looking at their region, the top 6 are pretty much set (in whatever order). Benny has an outside shot at sneaking in. Riverside and Brush play each other still and both still have 1 other tough conference game, so anything can happen there. Twinsburg still has Wadsworth and Nordonia, so theyre likely to go 1-2 down the stretch, and Mayfield doesn't have a lot of Harbin points left on their schedule. Benny might just luck out and make the playoffs with the prize of a first round beatdown in week 11
The prize for Benny would be beating a couple key conference foes, Lake Catholic & especially Padua, plus getting an extra week of practice for a very young team. The fan base would be more than happy with that finish to the season. But they should be very worried about a let down this week and if I was on the staff these next two weeks of pre-game prep are some of the most important in their short tenure at the school and I would emphasize the importance of weekly prep to this young group and not lose focus on the task at hand.
Old 10-10-18, 09:55 PM
Freshman

FootballDad8 is on a distinguished road
It isn't too quiet on here anymore is it? The only one that hasn't been active after this past weekend is Parkhaven. Shocker! He must still be on the Berea-Midpark transfer case. Let us know how that's going, Park.
Old 10-10-18, 10:16 PM
All Region

Cougar Nation is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballDad8 View Post
It isn't too quiet on here anymore is it? The only one that hasn't been active after this past weekend is Parkhaven. Shocker! He must still be on the Berea-Midpark transfer case. Let us know how that's going, Park.
Poor Park....still trying to figure out what happened. Now all we need is for Lake to upset them (I know, I know...not a chance) and he'll really be stumped for words.
Old 10-12-18, 07:53 AM
All Yappi

So the Baby Bengals pushed aside Lake's Frosh team yesterday 40 something to 0 and it wasn't even that close. I heard that the Cougars only had 17 players dressed and some should not have even been on the field. The sport is dying in the 'burbs and it is just a matter of time until programs like Lake, NDCL, & Walsh get out of the football business.
Old 10-12-18, 08:18 AM
All District

ene456 is on a distinguished road
Is this just a "Lake Problem?" bc of everything happening there? I saw Walsh play earlier this year. Bad football, but plenty of kids. I know the sport is changing... but that dramatically?
Old 10-12-18, 12:11 PM
All American

Over The Hills is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ene456 View Post
Is this just a "Lake Problem?" bc of everything happening there? I saw Walsh play earlier this year. Bad football, but plenty of kids. I know the sport is changing... but that dramatically?
Yes it is.

From a Catholic HS point of view, there are barely any CYO football players anymore.

In all of NEO there are 16 teams in 8th grade football.
Half of those teams are combined 7th/8th grade teams.
Not too many of these teams even have 20 players.
The kids say that half of the guys on their teams aren't even thinking of playing HS football.

This has to come home to roost at some point even for the larger football rosters at Iggy, Ed's and yes even Benedictine.

Hope not but I don't know where all these kids are gonna come from to fill out these rosters in the years down the road.
Old 10-14-18, 06:41 AM
All World

lchsman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
So the Baby Bengals pushed aside Lake's Frosh team yesterday 40 something to 0 and it wasn't even that close. I heard that the Cougars only had 17 players dressed and some should not have even been on the field. The sport is dying in the 'burbs and it is just a matter of time until programs like Lake, NDCL, & Walsh get out of the football business.
And the Varsity Cougars dominate the lines of scrimmage and run all over Benedictine last night defeating the Bengals 35-17. And it wasnít even that close. LC may have not had much success on the gridiron the past several seasons, but Benedictine has not beat LC since 2015.

When was the last time LCís Frosh team beat Benedictine?
Old 10-14-18, 06:44 AM
All World

lchsman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ene456 View Post
Everything happening there? Lake problem?

Please elaborate.
Old 10-14-18, 10:07 AM
All Ohio

In between Hoban at the top and Walsh at the bottom, the rest of the Blue is completely erratic and unpredictable. After seeing Lake a couple weeks ago, I thought they were easily the worst team in the division next to Walsh. They might still be, Benny's youth may be just too much for them to be consistent. At the end of week 10, Hoban might be the only team in the division to make the playoffs. Glenville getting chopped by the OHSAA might save Padua's chances.
Old 10-14-18, 11:17 AM
Junior Varsity

Carol Danvers is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over The Hills View Post
Yes it is.

From a Catholic HS point of view, there are barely any CYO football players anymore.

In all of NEO there are 16 teams in 8th grade football.
Half of those teams are combined 7th/8th grade teams.
Not too many of these teams even have 20 players.
The kids say that half of the guys on their teams aren't even thinking of playing HS football.

This has to come home to roost at some point even for the larger football rosters at Iggy, Ed's and yes even Benedictine.

Hope not but I don't know where all these kids are gonna come from to fill out these rosters in the years down the road.
Very true on combining schools to make up a team. Former rivals are now a combined team.

A lot of bigger kids lost to back to their public schools due to weigh limit restrictions in 7th or 8th grade CYO. The bigger kids that used to come over in 4th-6th grade CYO go back to their public school programs in 7th and 8th grade due to weight restrictions that brought them over earlier. You may have a kid like Jaylen Anderson playing D line at 170 lbs for St Gabe's, but if they're public school kids playing CYO they will usually go back. Some big skilled position player don't want to play line.
Old 10-15-18, 09:03 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchsman View Post
And the Varsity Cougars dominate the lines of scrimmage and run all over Benedictine last night defeating the Bengals 35-17. And it wasnít even that close. LC may have not had much success on the gridiron the past several seasons, but Benedictine has not beat LC since 2015.

When was the last time LCís Frosh team beat Benedictine?
I cannot figure out the current NCL middle class. NDA cannot beat Benny and Benny cannot beat Lake and then there is Padua looking to move up in the conference pecking order only to always find a way to fall short. Benny has some good players in the lower classes and could be set up for a nice run in the near future but they need to keep them in the program, this is probably their biggest challenge as they continue to build a program in the Welo era.
Old 10-16-18, 09:33 AM
Junior Varsity

Ironmike is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
On the "sport is dying" topic, speaking for myself, if I had it to do all over again, I would have sent my kids to Mentor instead of Lake or any private school. Many of our friends say the same. Not criticizing private education, but depending on where you live (Mentor has excellent schools) there just isn't a clear advantage going private. My brother lives in the north Collinwood area, so his choice was VASJ or Collinwood, so he didn't have much of a choice.
Closed Thread