Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > College Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-02-18, 11:14 AM
All Ohio

m14brian is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
Expanding makes sense for the NCAA but pay the players first. Every snap is a risk for kids trying to make it to the next level.

Too bad get the NFL to get off their wallet and build a farm league.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-18, 11:16 AM
All Ohio

Need to have 16 teams in CFP. The stupid committee will still exist they just have to pick 16..

The narrative that is is too many games, kids have their NFL careers at risk Yada yada yada is all a FALSE narrative.
Old 12-02-18, 12:27 PM
All Yappi

Arrogate will become famous soon enough
I don't think 16 is really necessary but I wouldnt balk at a 16 team playoff
Old 12-02-18, 01:49 PM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
If there's any playoff expansion, I'd have to believe that 6 would be the next number. To this point I can't really remember there being any serious debate about anybody being ranked below 6th being top-4 worthy.

Eventually, I think this will get to at least 8. Maybe 12 with an adjustment to the regular season schedule.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 12-02-18, 02:06 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
I'm not a fan at all of "play-in." Simple, more interesting to me is Win your conference, you're in. Three at large from the other conferences. ND finds themself a conference or just enjoys their wins against the pick-and-choose. No one owes them a shot.

Last edited by eastisbest; 12-02-18 at 02:20 PM..
Old 12-02-18, 07:59 PM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwwarrior09 View Post
If there's any playoff expansion, I'd have to believe that 6 would be the next number. To this point I can't really remember there being any serious debate about anybody being ranked below 6th being top-4 worthy.

Eventually, I think this will get to at least 8. Maybe 12 with an adjustment to the regular season schedule.

P5 + best G5 team is the ideal next step. 12 is a bit excessive imo, three loss teams do not deserve a shot
Old 12-03-18, 05:27 AM
All American

falguin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig Hansen View Post
P5 + best G5 team is the ideal next step. 12 is a bit excessive imo, three loss teams do not deserve a shot
But there are three loss FCS teams who have won NCs.
Old 12-03-18, 06:23 AM
All World

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
I would think that if the BIG and PAC 12 get shut out from the CFP next year that their will be some changes to the CFP.
Old 12-03-18, 09:14 AM
All Ohio

Everyone this is so Simple.

So Virginia Tech played a contingent game in Marshal to try and get a win to be bowl eligible. I did not know you can do this but it leads me to the 16 team playoff.

All the CFP team need to schedule max 11 games. This can change as explain above.
Get ride of all the BS games on the schedules. Play at least 9 conf games then play 2 OOC cupcakes or play tough teams whatever you wish.

Committee or Point system picks the top 16
CFP play start week 12. Higher Seeds gets HOME playoff game for the first 2 rounds.
Here weeks 12 and 13 are first round and then the quarter finals.
Semi Finals and Finals are exact same as Today.

All is perfect in this system. If you say oh no there will be fights over 16,17,18. Please go sit in the corner with a pointy hat on your head!

All the team tha did not make the playoff can schedule extra games if they want. All the BS bowls will still be played also.

Hell you even can have automatic bowl bids to the teams that went deep into the playoffs.
If you say that these University will lose money on only scheduling 11 games your wrong, you will be able to either play extra games in the playoff or setup extra games if you dont make it.

All this banter we give to ESPN is ridiculous. Ohio State, Georgia and all the other atop teams should be in the mix, decide the dam thing on the field already. And with this deciding it on field I meant with teams that do no meet in their conf every year.

Play more games that are matchups of the top 16.. what a concept I know!
The money to be made on 16 is astounding.
It is not happening due to BS reasons. Money is not one of them.

Just think how epic week 12 would be. 8 CFP games! All top 16 matchup!! It would give ESPN even more BS to talk.
Old 12-03-18, 09:27 AM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
The SEC actually leads in attendance. By a lot.

2017 average attendance numbers:

1. SEC - 75,074
2. B10 - 66,227
3. B12 - 56,852
4. P12 - 49,601
5. ACC - 48,422
SEC / Only true because the weather down there in October/November isn't cold,
wet, and miserable.

:>---

SALT
EGA
Old 12-05-18, 10:23 AM
All District

gooch
Buckeye fans only whine about this when left out. No whining when they sneak in. But I do agree with expansion.

I don't agree with the whining though. Whether you see it or not, there is B1G Bias and it's very clear. There's not many teams that could lose by 29 to a .500 team and NOT be dropped out of the T15, let alone T10. Then Sneak buy Nebraska (2-7) at home, thankful that Maryland coach handed you the game before going to OT (5-7). Did the "committee" drop OSU for that? Nope!

Michigan plays 2 decent teams all year; ND beats them at their place to open the year and then OSU slams the door on them by 23 to end the year. They drop from 4 to 7?? Give me a break. And no, PSU is not a T15 team. Appy State let them off the hook in Happy Valley in W1. C'mon!

The B!G and PAC shouldn't have anyone in the Top 10.
Old 12-05-18, 10:46 AM
All Yappi

I dont like the idea of knocking a team for close wins. They took care of business, the only people that should be upset are the gamblers.

I guess when two teams are very close in resume you can then look to see how they did throughout the season and in those "close wins".

I think OSU is certainly deserving of being in the top 10, to say otherwise just shows your bias (i am not an OSU fan btw). Michigan might be borderline top 10 but certainly top 15. Penn State is also a top 15 team IMO. Looking at the teams behind them and comparing resumes I am not sure you can move any of them above Penn St. I know they are in the Sun Belt but App St did finish 10-2 on the year. Not like it was some terrible team. Also I am not big in giving too much credit/knocking teams for performances in week 1. At the end of the day they took care of business and won, only people who should complain about it are people who took PSU against the spread
Old 12-05-18, 11:11 AM
Cooling Off

Neopolitan is an unknown quantity at this point
Would be interested in seeing a ranking where OSU isn't in the top 10. Gooch, care to share?
Old 12-05-18, 11:25 AM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
Concerning any proposed expansion of the playoffs, aren't the players supposed to be students first and be in the classrooms as much as possible?
Old 12-05-18, 11:28 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
Would be interested in seeing a ranking where OSU isn't in the top 10. Gooch, care to share?
Seriously. Did he even look at the teams ranked in the top 25 and top 10?
Old 12-05-18, 11:41 AM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
Concerning any proposed expansion of the playoffs, aren't the players supposed to be students first and be in the classrooms as much as possible?
D3, D2 and FCS all seem to run a larger playoff format with no issue or detriment to the student athletes. Not sure why it would be an issue for FBS.
Old 12-05-18, 11:41 AM
All World

Open to 8, bring back the BCS to decide seeding.
Old 12-05-18, 12:20 PM
All American

Gview is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Open to 8, bring back the BCS to decide seeding.
I agree but I would limit it to 6.
Old 12-05-18, 02:10 PM
All World

D4fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooch View Post
Buckeye fans only whine about this when left out. No whining when they sneak in. But I do agree with expansion.

I don't agree with the whining though. Whether you see it or not, there is B1G Bias and it's very clear. There's not many teams that could lose by 29 to a .500 team and NOT be dropped out of the T15, let alone T10. Then Sneak buy Nebraska (2-7) at home, thankful that Maryland coach handed you the game before going to OT (5-7). Did the "committee" drop OSU for that? Nope!

Michigan plays 2 decent teams all year; ND beats them at their place to open the year and then OSU slams the door on them by 23 to end the year. They drop from 4 to 7?? Give me a break. And no, PSU is not a T15 team. Appy State let them off the hook in Happy Valley in W1. C'mon!

The B!G and PAC shouldn't have anyone in the Top 10.
I agree! No big ten or Pac in top ten. Also, there is only one independent, Notre Dame , that belongs in top ten. Big 12 only has one top ten team, SEC has two and ACC one.

So, only five teams deserve to be ranked in the top ten, and none deserve above a number three ranking.

1 (no qualified team)
2 (no qualified team)
3 Alabama
4 Clemson
5 (no one qualified)
6 Notre Dame
7 (no one qualified)
8 (no one qualified)
9 Oklahoma
10 Georgia

Do you really think this makes sense?
Old 12-05-18, 02:19 PM
All World

D4fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwwarrior09 View Post

This year ?

I have five teams I would consider viable for spots 3 and 4.

1 OSU
2 GEORGIA
3 UCF
4 NOTRE DAME
5 Oklahoma

You can make an argument for any of these teams. This is the first year this has happened, but for me 8 and no bye makes sense.
Old 12-06-18, 10:13 AM
All District

gooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
Obviously, they have to put them in the T10 with only 1 loss and a B1G Title. Heck, Washington moved up to #9 after their monster win in the PAC CCG vs. Utah. Silliness! But hey, the Rose can flaunt their #6 vs. #9 clash

To clarify, my point being is that there is B1G bias. Not many teams would lose by 29 at a laugher at Purdue and not fall out of the T15. And the mess at Maryland? How'd the coach blow that game? Good Lord. But even if OSU loses to Maryland, then smokes an overrated Michigan team (c'mon, who'd they beat?) and pull away from NW late in the B1G Title, they still would've moved them back in the T8. It's Big $ bias.

Michigan dropping from 4-> 7 after getting dominated is the bigger laugher in all of this.

It's not all SEC bias folks.

But hey, we get to enjoy 2 "playoff" (invitational) games, have no CFB for a month and 40+ exhibition games that are meaningless. Good stuff. Good news, the student athletes get to focus on their studies
Old 12-06-18, 10:19 AM
All Yappi

Doubling down on stupidity.

Who is your top 10?
Old 12-06-18, 10:22 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooch View Post
Obviously, they have to put them in the T10 with only 1 loss and a B1G Title. Heck, Washington moved up to #9 after their monster win in the PAC CCG vs. Utah. Silliness! But hey, the Rose can flaunt their #6 vs. #9 clash

To clarify, my point being is that there is B1G bias. Not many teams would lose by 29 at a laugher at Purdue and not fall out of the T15. And the mess at Maryland? How'd the coach blow that game? Good Lord. But even if OSU loses to Maryland, then smokes an overrated Michigan team (c'mon, who'd they beat?) and pull away from NW late in the B1G Title, they still would've moved them back in the T8. It's Big $ bias.

Michigan dropping from 4-> 7 after getting dominated is the bigger laugher in all of this.

It's not all SEC bias folks.

But hey, we get to enjoy 2 "playoff" (invitational) games, have no CFB for a month and 40+ exhibition games that are meaningless. Good stuff. Good news, the student athletes get to focus on their studies
Why wouldn't they? The CFP committee has constantly puffed up CCGs (I know, I know, OSU 2016). Washington beat a top 20 team while Florida and LSU sat at home. I mean they only moved up 2 spots, that isn't unrealistic whatsoever.

And I disagree about it being Big 10 bias. OSU benefited for sure, but not because they are in the Big 10. They benefited the same way any team with a large following and well travelling fan base would. College Football still wants to make as much money as possible. If it's close, they'll always bump up the larger, better traveling fan base teams regardless of conference.
Old 12-06-18, 10:22 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Take top 6.

1 vs 6.
2 vs 5
3 vs 4.

Highest ranked team remaining gets a bye to the championship.
Old 12-06-18, 10:26 AM
All District

gooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
Yeah right! How about, skipping the "money games"? I don't need to see OSU vs Miami (OH) next year or Bama vs. The Citadel. I do not get why these Big programs HAVE to schedule games 5-7 years in advance.

How about getting rid of divisions in the oversized conferences and skip the money grab conference "championship games".

Get rid of that week and add a week of playoffs!!

They put out BS preseason rankings every year for TV ratings. (I still have buds saying that OSU had a big win of #12 TCU) C'mon! Let's have some fun!! Scrap the David and Goliath money games and pit the T8 preseason teams in matchups during the first 3 weeks before league play starts. Neutral sites. Give percentages of the millions $ to those David schools and let's do this.

But no, we'll keep having these lame arguments every year about conference strength and weaknesses.
Old 12-06-18, 10:54 AM
All Yappi

No one can seriously talk about them being "students first" when they have teams traveling all over for baseball, basketball and all the other sports playing all week long and also games now on Tue/wed/thur and such.

yeah, they are students first but all year around it doesn't matter for you all.
Old 12-06-18, 10:59 AM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
When the next round of conference realignment occurs - sometime in the next 10 years - it'd be nice if Week 1 or Week 2 played out like the conference challenges in basketball.

Assuming the Big XII dissolves, you can rotate matchups every 3 years:
B1G vs ACC plus SEC vs Pac 16
B1G vs Pac 16 plus SEC vs ACC
B1G vs SEC plus ACC vs Pac 16

Play it Labor Day weekend, typically week 1 at home and/or neutral sites.
Old 12-06-18, 11:09 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
When the next round of conference realignment occurs - sometime in the next 10 years - it'd be nice if Week 1 or Week 2 played out like the conference challenges in basketball.

Assuming the Big XII dissolves, you can rotate matchups every 3 years:
B1G vs ACC plus SEC vs Pac 16
B1G vs Pac 16 plus SEC vs ACC
B1G vs SEC plus ACC vs Pac 16

Play it Labor Day weekend, typically week 1 at home and/or neutral sites.
As great as it sounds, the powers that be don't want that.

OSU, Bama, ETC wont want to take a chance at a loss knowing that they now would likely have to go through their conference schedule unscathed to even be considered if they lose that matchup.

They prefer to stack their schedule with easy home games under the guise of helping out those opponents by the payouts they receive all the while protecting their record so once they get to their conference schedule they have that cushion to possibly lose a game (but not by 29 points to a crappy opponent).
Old 12-06-18, 11:14 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
As great as it sounds, the powers that be don't want that.

OSU, Bama, ETC wont want to take a chance at a loss knowing that they now would likely have to go through their conference schedule unscathed to even be considered if they lose that matchup.

They prefer to stack their schedule with easy home games under the guise of helping out those opponents by the payouts they receive all the while protecting their record so once they get to their conference schedule they have that cushion to possibly lose a game (but not by 29 points to a crappy opponent).
Hopefully by that point college football has an 8+ team playoff. This year there is only 1 team with more than 1 loss in the top 8 in week 14. Expanded to 12 teams, there's 4 teams with 3 losses. 2017 saw 2 teams with 2 more than 1 loss in the top 8. 2016 had 4 with more than 1 loss, and one with more than 2 in the top 8.

It wouldn't be as big of an issue.
Old 12-06-18, 11:16 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Hopefully by that point college football has an 8+ team playoff. This year there is only 1 team with more than 1 loss in the top 8 in week 14. Expanded to 12 teams, there's 4 teams with 3 losses. 2017 saw 2 teams with 2 more than 1 loss in the top 8. 2016 had 4 with more than 1 loss, and one with more than 2 in the top 8.

It wouldn't be as big of an issue.
I hope to heck they never go past 8 teams.

I think 6 is the sweet spot in keeping it exclusive enough.