Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > College Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #121  
Old 11-26-18, 06:00 PM
Indiandad Indiandad is online now
All World
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 3,161
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
I think an Alabama win and Texas win are needed (as well as OSU win) for the Buckeyes to get in.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #122  
Old 11-26-18, 06:02 PM
Neopolitan Neopolitan is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 10-12-16
Posts: 5,171
Neopolitan is an unknown quantity at this point
Obviously the NCAA can't go to an 8 team playoff because it would interfere with the student-athlete's studies.
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 11-26-18, 06:02 PM
Indiandad Indiandad is online now
All World
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 3,161
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Notre Dame must be feeling pretty good about being an independent this year. No chance they lose and get knocked unlike Georgia who has to win to get in.
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 11-26-18, 06:16 PM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 32,776
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKong24 View Post
If that happens and Oklahoma and Ohio State get left out there has to be expansion.
I favor 6 teams, with byes for the top 2. That^ would likely get me my wish, if it's done without extending a week. If a full week gets added to the process, it'll be 8 teams just to get the TV sets. 1 v. 8s and maybe 2 v. 7s will be crap games, but we'll all watch at least the first halves.
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 11-26-18, 06:18 PM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 32,776
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
Obviously the NCAA can't go to an 8 team playoff because it would interfere with the student-athlete's studies.
I've heard that...
Reply With Quote
  #126  
Old 11-26-18, 06:52 PM
Omar Omar is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-05-16
Posts: 1,198
Omar is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
Notre Dame must be feeling pretty good about being an independent this year. No chance they lose and get knocked unlike Georgia who has to win to get in.
First, Conference Title games are superfluous and nothing more than a $ grab. Second, Bama and UGA basically had a week 11 bye playing The Citadel and Furman. ND was playing a top 15 Syracuse team. ND’s Regular Season Schedule is usually difficult enough to washout not having that 13th data point.
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 11-26-18, 07:10 PM
Crusaders Crusaders is online now
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-06-04
Location: Not Cincinnati
Posts: 35,739
Crusaders is on a distinguished road
The Big 12 is the only superfluous conference championship game. It was dumb for the NCAA to allow it, IMO
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old 11-26-18, 08:30 PM
boiler boiler is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 12-06-08
Location: In the basement
Posts: 862
boiler is on a distinguished road
Which is more important, best win or worse loss? If you are trying to beat the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd ranked team in the nation, I would pick the team who has shown they are capable of doing that.
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 11-27-18, 09:29 AM
Zezzo! Zezzo! is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-17-11
Posts: 1,892
Zezzo! is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHSFootballFan View Post
Try to be honest though, if OSU played in the Big XII I would say they give up many more points this year. The Big XII offensively is a much better league than the Big Ten. WVU for instance would put up 40 on OSU.
Honestly, I can't say that, all the defenses are bad in the Big 12 not just this year but every year. Kansas would not score 55 on OSU or 40 like they did on Oklahoma. Out of the 5 teams that scored over 40 on OU, 3 of those teams were unranked. And Texas Tech nor Oklahoma State puts up points on the road so no I can't say that.
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old 11-27-18, 09:51 AM
Zezzo! Zezzo! is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-17-11
Posts: 1,892
Zezzo! is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
Other than the fact that you've now posted this 3 different times, there are a few holes in your argument:
1. Ohio State's performance Saturday proves they should be 5th (maybe even 4th) but somehow discredits undefeated Notre Dame - sound logic
2. Most impressive win this season is debatable though it was an azz-kicking - Bama has that shutout at LSU
3. Oklahoma has given up 40 points five times - Ohio State has given up 31 to dreadful Oregon State, 49 to Purdue, 31 to Nebraska, 51 to Maryland and 39 to Michigan - those teams haven't exactly been lighting the world on fire offensively and they still put up a lot of points on OSU
1. When ND beat Mighigan, Michigan was not the #4 team in the country and did not have the #1 defense in America. ND schedule has benefited them this year plus they struggled in their last game. There's your logic!
2. It's not debatable at all. Alabama was favored to beat LSU. OSU was a 4 point underdog plus Michigan was #4 and OSU was #10 and dominated the #4 team in the country. There hasn't been a more significant victory this season. And, I posted three times as you correctly stated, I said that OSU has an argument I didn't say that this will happen.
3. See post #129.
4. I made a mistake posting 3 times my apologies for annoying you.
Reply With Quote
  #131  
Old 11-27-18, 11:17 AM
adselder09 adselder09 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-11-07
Posts: 14,263
adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezzo! View Post
1. When ND beat Mighigan, Michigan was not the #4 team in the country and did not have the #1 defense in America. ND schedule has benefited them this year plus they struggled in their last game. There's your logic!
2. It's not debatable at all. Alabama was favored to beat LSU. OSU was a 4 point underdog plus Michigan was #4 and OSU was #10 and dominated the #4 team in the country. There hasn't been a more significant victory this season. And, I posted three times as you correctly stated, I said that OSU has an argument I didn't say that this will happen.
3. See post #129.
4. I made a mistake posting 3 times my apologies for annoying you.
1. Notre Dame still beat Michigan. Just because Ohio State beat them this week and ND beat them week 1 shouldn't discredit Notre Dame.
2. Bama went to LSU and shut out the Tigers. It was supposed to be their toughest test of the season and they blanked them. If you want to use the Rankings and say most impressive upset, then sure that's a no-brainer.
3. I know what Oklahoma has given up, but everyone in the Big XII scores - Ohio State gave up those big point totals to bad B1G teams.
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 11-27-18, 12:37 PM
Omar Omar is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-05-16
Posts: 1,198
Omar is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
1. Notre Dame still beat Michigan. Just because Ohio State beat them this week and ND beat them week 1 shouldn't discredit Notre Dame.
2. Bama went to LSU and shut out the Tigers. It was supposed to be their toughest test of the season and they blanked them. If you want to use the Rankings and say most impressive upset, then sure that's a no-brainer.
3. I know what Oklahoma has given up, but everyone in the Big XII scores - Ohio State gave up those big point totals to bad B1G teams.
ND also beat Michigan w/o their now Starting QB and RB. They wouldn’t hang 62 on Michigan, but they’d win by a wider margin than when they first met.

Also, you can’t ignore how crappy OSU looked leading up to the this week. They struggled with Nebraska, a sub par Mich St, and should’ve lost to MD. The entire season’s work matters, not just one game. If that were the case, Purdue would be a lock for the Playoff.
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 11-27-18, 12:56 PM
Arrogate Arrogate is online now
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-27-16
Location: Not in Price Hill
Posts: 5,254
Arrogate will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezzo! View Post
1. When ND beat Mighigan, Michigan was not the #4 team in the country and did not have the #1 defense in America. ND schedule has benefited them this year plus they struggled in their last game. There's your logic!
2. It's not debatable at all. Alabama was favored to beat LSU. OSU was a 4 point underdog plus Michigan was #4 and OSU was #10 and dominated the #4 team in the country. There hasn't been a more significant victory this season. And, I posted three times as you correctly stated, I said that OSU has an argument I didn't say that this will happen.
3. See post #129.
4. I made a mistake posting 3 times my apologies for annoying you.
So ND beat Michigan but it isnt as good bc they werent ranked #4 when they did it/werent the top ranked defense? Sound logic.
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 11-27-18, 01:01 PM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 7,333
thavoice is on a distinguished road
If OSU and OU both win with pretty much the same 'enthusiasm' then I believe OU deserves to be in.
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 11-27-18, 01:04 PM
nutsnbolts nutsnbolts is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 11-17-11
Posts: 318
nutsnbolts is on a distinguished road
At the end of the regular season (incuding conference championships) the CFP committee should.
Rate all teams with 13 wins.
Rate all teams with 12 wins to determine if any should move ahead of the 13-win teams.
Rate all teams with 11 wins to determine if any should move ahead of the 12-win teams.

Notre Dame would get rated with all the other 12-win teams. Why do they deserve special treatment because they CHOOSE not to be part of a conference? They should NOT be rated with the 13-win teams, they are NOT a 13-win team. (I would also prefer eliminating the conference championship games and let the regular season wins be the deciding factor. Expand the playoffs to 8 teams instead.)

And teams should not be moved up or down more than one win level.
11-win teams cannot be moved above 12-win teams and 13-win teams cannot be moved below 12-win teams.
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 11-27-18, 01:14 PM
Arrogate Arrogate is online now
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-27-16
Location: Not in Price Hill
Posts: 5,254
Arrogate will become famous soon enough
I am fine with ND being in the playoff when they arent in a conference. I mean Alabama played The Citadel, does that count as a win? Now if OSU was undefeated and it came down to between them and ND, I would leave ND out bc they didnt play a conference championship game.....

Or just not get blown out by Purdue and you dont have anything to b1tch about. Face it Urban teams the past two years have laid huge eggs that cant really be overlooked. It isnt that they just lost, they got blown out. When style points count you cant leave anything up to the subjective playoff committee and Condi Rice.
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 11-27-18, 01:41 PM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 7,333
thavoice is on a distinguished road
ND not being in a conference:

HELPS when they finish the regular season undefeated as they don't have that extra game to trip them up which has happened 3 times since 1980.


It HURTS them if they finish the regular season with 1 loss which also has happened 3 times in that time frame.


They know if they go undefeated they are golden, just like any power 5 school no matter how pissy their schedule and OOC opponents.


Arrogate is right, you just cannot get throttled like the loss to Purdue and Iowa last year. If they just lose a close game vs Pur this likely isn't an issue.
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 11-27-18, 02:03 PM
adselder09 adselder09 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-11-07
Posts: 14,263
adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutsnbolts View Post
At the end of the regular season (incuding conference championships) the CFP committee should.
Rate all teams with 13 wins.
Rate all teams with 12 wins to determine if any should move ahead of the 13-win teams.
Rate all teams with 11 wins to determine if any should move ahead of the 12-win teams.

Notre Dame would get rated with all the other 12-win teams. Why do they deserve special treatment because they CHOOSE not to be part of a conference? They should NOT be rated with the 13-win teams, they are NOT a 13-win team. (I would also prefer eliminating the conference championship games and let the regular season wins be the deciding factor. Expand the playoffs to 8 teams instead.)

And teams should not be moved up or down more than one win level.
11-win teams cannot be moved above 12-win teams and 13-win teams cannot be moved below 12-win teams.
Notre Dame would still be 12-0 whereas OSU, OU, UGA and Bama all could/would be 12-1. So ND should be punished because they don't have the extra game? Like Bama wasn't punished last year after losing to Auburn and sitting home during Championship Weekend.
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 11-27-18, 02:13 PM
ronnie mund ronnie mund is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-11-13
Posts: 7,715
ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutsnbolts View Post
At the end of the regular season (incuding conference championships) the CFP committee should.
Rate all teams with 13 wins.
Rate all teams with 12 wins to determine if any should move ahead of the 13-win teams.
Rate all teams with 11 wins to determine if any should move ahead of the 12-win teams.

Notre Dame would get rated with all the other 12-win teams. Why do they deserve special treatment because they CHOOSE not to be part of a conference? They should NOT be rated with the 13-win teams, they are NOT a 13-win team. (I would also prefer eliminating the conference championship games and let the regular season wins be the deciding factor. Expand the playoffs to 8 teams instead.)

And teams should not be moved up or down more than one win level.
11-win teams cannot be moved above 12-win teams and 13-win teams cannot be moved below 12-win teams.
This is pretty silly, because if you take it one step further then no 4-win team can be ranked above a 5-win team, no 5-win team can be ranked above a 6-win team, no 6-win team...

This isn't the pros, there are way too many teams to rank them like that.
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 11-27-18, 02:28 PM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 7,333
thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
Notre Dame would still be 12-0 whereas OSU, OU, UGA and Bama all could/would be 12-1. So ND should be punished because they don't have the extra game? Like Bama wasn't punished last year after losing to Auburn and sitting home during Championship Weekend.



I believe overall that being in a conference HURTS ND to get into a playoff......UNLESS they are undefeated. By not having a Conf champ game it is one less game to play against a good foe.


It will never happen, but if there were undefeated teams with ND and the other four from power conferences then ND doesn't make it.


Same on any tie breaker with ND having one loss vs a 1 loss conference champion, I can see that hurting them as well.
Reply With Quote
  #141  
Old 11-27-18, 02:35 PM
adselder09 adselder09 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-11-07
Posts: 14,263
adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
I believe overall that being in a conference HURTS ND to get into a playoff......UNLESS they are undefeated. By not having a Conf champ game it is one less game to play against a good foe.


It will never happen, but if there were undefeated teams with ND and the other four from power conferences then ND doesn't make it.


Same on any tie breaker with ND having one loss vs a 1 loss conference champion, I can see that hurting them as well.
I agree. If the following 5 teams were all undefeated and 4 of them played and won conference championships then ND should be left out:
Bama
Clemson
Oklahoma
Ohio State
Notre Dame

As is, that's not the case this year. Now if nutsnbolts said the opposite, that teams should be ranked based on the number of losses (which essentially they are now), then ND is in the perfect spot at #3.
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 11-27-18, 02:50 PM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 7,333
thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
I agree. If the following 5 teams were all undefeated and 4 of them played and won conference championships then ND should be left out:
Bama
Clemson
Oklahoma
Ohio State
Notre Dame
Or if they all had 1 loss and ND had one loss.


Back before the conference networks I could see why ND would want all that NBC money to themselves but the BN is making those teams a fortune.

No reason NOT to join the Big ten or a conference.

Easily made schedule. Still schedule a cream puff or two in the out of conference. Guarenteed to have 7-8 home games and play most OOC games as just a home with no return trip.


Few easily conference games, a couple built in tough games and boom, a schedule is made.
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 11-27-18, 04:12 PM
nutsnbolts nutsnbolts is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 11-17-11
Posts: 318
nutsnbolts is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
This is pretty silly, because if you take it one step further then no 4-win team can be ranked above a 5-win team, no 5-win team can be ranked above a 6-win team, no 6-win team...

This isn't the pros, there are way too many teams to rank them like that.
Isn’t the goal of playing the games to win?
Why should not winning be rewarded as much as winning?
I agree with everyone stating tOSU just needed to win against Purdue and they wouldn’t need to worry about style points.

The CFP committee is meeting one day after the conference championships to select the four teams. Why couldn’t they have met last Sunday and selected eight? Then this weekend could have been the top four hosting the second four.

No change to bowl games and dates and no change to the final three games for NC.
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 11-27-18, 04:41 PM
fish82 fish82 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-16-05
Location: Secure
Posts: 13,240
fish82 will become famous soon enoughfish82 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
If OSU and OU both win with pretty much the same 'enthusiasm' then I believe OU deserves to be in.
If OU wins by 1, and OSU wins by 50, then the nod still goes to OU. The Bucks' only prayer is if OU and Georgia both lose.

I have zero interest in watching them get curbstomped in the semis anyway. Let's go to the Rose Bowl, beat Washington, and call it a nice year.
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old 11-27-18, 05:14 PM
adselder09 adselder09 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-11-07
Posts: 14,263
adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutsnbolts View Post
Isn’t the goal of playing the games to win?
Why should not winning be rewarded as much as winning?
I agree with everyone stating tOSU just needed to win against Purdue and they wouldn’t need to worry about style points.
Because not all teams play the same schedule. Not all wins are equal. This isn't the Harbin system.

Quote:
The CFP committee is meeting one day after the conference championships to select the four teams. Why couldn’t they have met last Sunday and selected eight? Then this weekend could have been the top four hosting the second four.

No change to bowl games and dates and no change to the final three games for NC.
Conferences like their $$$ too much.
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old 11-27-18, 06:07 PM
Max Grumbleman Max Grumbleman is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 06-11-16
Posts: 499
Max Grumbleman is on a distinguished road
Max's Points System Rankings Week 14



Full Excel file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0lxck05o66...2018.xlsx?dl=0
Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old 11-27-18, 09:07 PM
Neopolitan Neopolitan is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 10-12-16
Posts: 5,171
Neopolitan is an unknown quantity at this point
Pretty crazy that the top 5 pre-season teams(per the coaches poll) are all still in the top 6. A couple upsets here and there, but this has largely been a formulaic season so far.
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old 11-27-18, 10:14 PM
Omar Omar is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-05-16
Posts: 1,198
Omar is an unknown quantity at this point
Very unlikely this happens, but what if UGA, OK, and OSU all lose? If UCF still had their QB, maybe they would get their chance. However, with him out, I’m guessing UGA gets in.
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old 11-27-18, 10:21 PM
Arrogate Arrogate is online now
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-27-16
Location: Not in Price Hill
Posts: 5,254
Arrogate will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
Pretty crazy that the top 5 pre-season teams(per the coaches poll) are all still in the top 6. A couple upsets here and there, but this has largely been a formulaic season so far.
Very true for who the real contenders were. 3 of the preseason top 10 did have 5 losses though. But I dont think anyone thought Miami, Wisconsin, and Auburn were real contenders. The real contenders for the playoff was never really in doubt. Aside from ND, there were no real surprises for who was competing for the 4 playoff spots. I thought they would have lost one by now and out of real contention.

Seems like it will be Bama, UGA, OSU, OU, Clemson for the next few years. I do think Jimbo will have a year every now and then where they are contending for a spot.
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old 11-28-18, 07:05 AM
eastisbest eastisbest is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-27-06
Posts: 18,517
eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Some surprises. Cinci, Syracuse, Army?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Flo Rankings - What's Up? bdhof Wrestling 1 02-07-18 10:13 AM
tOSU Cedes Lead - NCAA Rankings 1/25/18 bdhof Wrestling 11 01-27-18 09:55 AM
Lions Bite Back - NCAA Rankings 1/5/18 bdhof Wrestling 6 01-18-18 08:24 PM
Consensus #1 NCAA Rankings 1/11/18 bdhof Wrestling 10 01-12-18 01:06 AM
Near Unanimous #1 NCAA Rankings 12/12/19 bdhof Wrestling 3 12-21-17 09:24 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:01 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz