Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > College Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-06-18, 11:56 AM
All World

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
When the next round of conference realignment occurs - sometime in the next 10 years - it'd be nice if Week 1 or Week 2 played out like the conference challenges in basketball.

Assuming the Big XII dissolves, you can rotate matchups every 3 years:
B1G vs ACC plus SEC vs Pac 16
B1G vs Pac 16 plus SEC vs ACC
B1G vs SEC plus ACC vs Pac 16

Play it Labor Day weekend, typically week 1 at home and/or neutral sites.
BIG and PAC 12 basically have that now. Next season OSU was suppose to play TCU again at home but TCU cancelled. After next season OSU has a home and away with Oregon and Washington in the near future plus a two year series with ND. In 2025 OSU plays both Texas and Washington. In 2026 OSU plays Boston College and Texas.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-18, 01:14 PM
All Yappi

Arrogate will become famous soon enough
With OOC schedules being determined so far in advance I wonder if OSU will change course and stop scheduling home and homes. Do the neutral site like they did with TCU or even get away from tough OOC games.
Old 12-06-18, 01:23 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
With OOC schedules being determined so far in advance I wonder if OSU will change course and stop scheduling home and homes. Do the neutral site like they did with TCU or even get away from tough OOC games.
The TCU game was supposed to be a Home and Home.
TCU coach said it wasn't a good business plan to have the home and home with OSU (with it being a home and home, i presume OSU would not have been paying TCU to come and play like they do for many other OOC games that are just played at OSU).

Instead it got moved to Cowboys stadium and both teams were paid 5 million to do so.

Recall years ago the Buckeyes buying out a home and home game that they were supposed to play out west, Arizona area, so they wouldn't have to go out there.

These big time schools like OSU/Bama/etc hosting these games in one and dones are a way of the rich giving to the poor.
Old 12-06-18, 05:52 PM
All World

Quote:
Really was not a neutral site, JJ world I think was less than an hour from TCU's campus. But this is something the " committee " needs to look into, punishes UCF because they play in a " weak " conference yet Alabama and some other schools play a non league schedule that are a joke.
Old 12-06-18, 10:24 PM
All World

Doubt if this happens but found this on the OZONE : https://247sports.com/college/oklaho...rns-125965141/

Be a boom for the BIG if this actually happened.
Old 12-06-18, 10:34 PM
All Yappi

A lot of the people down here in Texas complain about the Longhorn Network. (Even Aggie fans). The reality is a lot of kids may not have the Longhorn package and it has probably hurt their exposure. 24 hr programming on one team is just a terrible idea. Texas made a ton of money off of it but ESPN didnt. You would think with ESPN's cost cutting they will probably try to get out of it.

I wouldnt be shocked if they were to eventually join the B10 with OU. College football is moving towards super conferences. The thing about Texas is they want control. Will be interesting to see if they are willing to change things.
Old 12-07-18, 12:05 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
I hope to heck they never go past 8 teams.

I think 6 is the sweet spot in keeping it exclusive enough.
I agree, but I disagree with your path to it.

Quote:
Take top 6.

1 vs 6.
2 vs 5
3 vs 4.

Highest ranked team remaining gets a bye to the championship.
Starting with a 1 v. 6 is absurd. I only want to see #6 play #1 if they can beat the field first.

#'s 1 and 2 get byes week one.

3 v. 6, 4 v. 5

Winner of 3 v. 6 gets #2 week two, winner 4 v. 5 gets #1

Then, if #6 wins two games, they might get a game with #1.

You can't "de-incentivize" the regular season any further. That is a large part of what makes college football great.
Old 12-09-18, 09:38 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
thoughts ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
The Bowl game culture/economy focused on certain dates is what is holding back playoff expansion. Preserving it is a significant "political consideration" for NCAA leadership.

These kids bailing on the lesser games may hasten the transition to an expanded playoff format.
Old 12-09-18, 11:15 AM
All Yappi

cjb56 is on a distinguished road
^^^^^^^^

I agree. The playoffs were resisted forever because the bowls knew they would take a hit, but now that we are seeing it happen it's clear the bowl system will collapse as we know it once the playoffs expand to eight.

If it's not a playoff game, the star players are sitting it out. The bowls won't survive that way. The small bowls...yes, but the big bowls will have to adapt and become part of the expanded playoff system.

All of this...as well as at least one Power 5 league guaranteed to be shut out of the playoffs each season...will hasten the move to an eight team playoff. That's as far as it will go, IMO. It's the right number.
Old 12-09-18, 11:46 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb56 View Post
^^^^^^^^

I agree. The playoffs were resisted forever because the bowls knew they would take a hit, but now that we are seeing it happen it's clear the bowl system will collapse as we know it once the playoffs expand to eight.

If it's not a playoff game, the star players are sitting it out. The bowls won't survive that way. The small bowls...yes, but the big bowls will have to adapt and become part of the expanded playoff system.

All of this...as well as at least one Power 5 league guaranteed to be shut out of the playoffs each season...will hasten the move to an eight team playoff. That's as far as it will go, IMO. It's the right number.
Only a handful of players have and will sit out their bowl games. I think the amount of bowl games has as much to do with declining interest than the playoffs. People see the bowl games as a getaway and will still travel. Coleges love them, even though some end up in the red, because they use it as a year end 'thank you', employee appreciation, etc, to many in the program and like the extra few weeks of practice and as a recruiting tool.

Many on here dont remember the old system before the BCS. Interest was big because there were 2-4 bowl games that potentionally had title implications. Then the bcs and people bitched but it was better than previous.

We will get to a 6 or 8 tourney and it wont really affect the other bowl games I dont believe.

Most of them didnt mean anything years ago anyways, its just too many bowl games for it to be real special for most programs
Old 12-09-18, 12:18 PM
All District

scotty99 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
I like Crusaders' format on some levels, but with the likelihood for injury in football, it's too many games.
Just go back to 11 game regular season and no conference championships. Play the season and the top 12 go straight to the playoffs. 1st round the higher seed will host and the 2nd rd and semfinals will be the big bowl games at neutral sites. I also think there should be a group of 5 playoff for the smaller conferences. UCF would go to the power 5 playoffs because they are top 12.
Old 12-09-18, 01:49 PM
All American

goldentornado is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
It would sure as hell motivate programs to finish in the top 4 and you would still have a big fight over the rankings which does generate drama & public awareness of the product.

And let's face it, given the pro SEC bias you wouldn't have to many of those teams traveling north of the Mason-Dixon line come playoff time.
four teams is just fine with most people. every time osu doesnt make the playoffs we hear buckeye nation whine about how the playoffs should be expanded. the pro SEC bias exists only in the minds of buckeye fans. there is no real reason to have the playoffs games north of the Mason-Dixon line other than the fan base thinks they have some sort of advantage.
Old 12-09-18, 02:00 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirred not Shaken View Post
Really was not a neutral site, JJ world I think was less than an hour from TCU's campus. But this is something the " committee " needs to look into, punishes UCF because they play in a " weak " conference yet Alabama and some other schools play a non league schedule that are a joke.
i seen some other school plays cincinnati, miami redhawks, and florida atlantic next season. wow what a meat grinder
Old 12-09-18, 02:51 PM
All Ohio

boiler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldentornado View Post
i seen some other school plays cincinnati, miami redhawks, and florida atlantic next season. wow what a meat grinder
At least it's a better OOC schedule than most SEC teams.
Old 12-09-18, 06:27 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiler View Post
At least it's a better OOC schedule than most SEC teams.
if SEC teams really wanted to load the schedules up with cupcakes they would schedule more big ten teams
Old 12-09-18, 09:37 PM
All Ohio

m14brian is on a distinguished road
Quote:
if SEC teams really wanted to load the schedules up with cupcakes they would schedule more big ten teams
And lose way more then they would think or like. They donít schedule BIG10, because they know it is a tough game and they would rather concentrate on the tough games for SEC.
They will continue to play FCS teams late in the season which is complete BS with no push back from SEC ESPN.
Old 12-09-18, 09:48 PM
All Yappi

FirestoneFan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to FirestoneFan
The BiG scheduled for all teams is much tougher than the SEC has. There are no easy game in the BiG but only a couple tough teams in the SEC. Play the games and not FCS teams.
Old 12-09-18, 09:51 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
The SEC never schedules BiG teams.

It will start with Kentucky vs Penn State. The Buckeyes will win their bowl this year in a standard OSU fashion and in the end top4 but not good enough to beat Alabama again cuz they won't play

Last edited by FirestoneFan; 12-09-18 at 10:10 PM..
Old 12-09-18, 10:01 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirestoneFan View Post

It will start with Kentucky vs Penn State. The Buckeyes will win their bowl this year in a standard OSU fashion and in the end top4 but not good enough to beat Alabama again.
Correct. Mizzou didnt play Purdue this year
Old 12-09-18, 10:25 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Correct. Mizzou didnt play Purdue this year
OK but you don't play in the snow and minus 32 degree weather if it happens. Come up and play in the North!. I do respect all football
Old 12-09-18, 10:42 PM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The BiG scheduled for all teams is much tougher than the SEC has. There are no easy game in the BiG but only a couple tough teams in the SEC. Play the games and not FCS teams.
That's not necessarily true. The B1G has one more conference game, but Illinois, Indiana, Rutgers, Minnesota isn't putting the fear in anyone. The SEC West is the best division in football top to bottom, so while I agree they should be playing 9 conference games like everyone else it isn't like their conference schedule is a piece of cake either.

If I'm ranking divisions:
1. SEC West
2. B1G East
3. SEC East
4. B1G West
Old 12-09-18, 10:47 PM
All Yappi

I have to agree. 9 conference games Tough on the rest with the BiG. I think Big 12 is tougher than BiG West at the top. A shame we won't find out this year.
Old 12-10-18, 12:17 AM
All American

Quote:

It will start with Kentucky vs Penn State. The Buckeyes will win their bowl this year in a standard OSU fashion and in the end top4 but not good enough to beat Alabama again cuz they won't play
Bama played a home and home with Penn st. its more like Big ten teams never schedule SEC teams
Old 12-10-18, 12:18 AM
All American

Quote:
the big ten has at least 11 bad teams
Old 12-10-18, 12:24 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb56 View Post
^^^^^^^^

Our best hope is that Alabama gets left out one year on the fringe, as unlikely as that may be bc of the committee.

We need all other p5 conferences to have an undefeated team, and Bama to lose in the SEC championship game. It is important they lose in the SEC Champ game or have one loss so they think they have a legit gripe.

Maybe it can be done with Clemson, OU, OSU being undefeated and having Georgia or another team winning the SEC. So I vote all teams that play Clemson, OU, and OSU, throw the games for the benefit of expansion. Anyone with me?
Old 12-10-18, 09:27 PM
All Ohio

boiler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Bama played a home and home with Penn st. its more like Big ten teams never schedule SEC teams
Please explain to me why Vanderbilt withdrew from playing OSU a few years back.
Old 12-11-18, 08:25 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiler View Post
Please explain to me why Vanderbilt withdrew from playing OSU a few years back.
Vandy was to get over a million bucks for going to OSU.

They also cancelled a game with Northwestern.

The reasoning was the addition of 2 teams in the conference.

I know it all comes down to money, but I would love to see OSU go to a smaller place and play someone, like they were supposed to do out in ARizona a number of years ago.

BUT....they and other big 5 powerhouses are scared to do so but use $$$ to lure and support other programs as their noble cause.
Old 12-11-18, 08:27 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirred not Shaken View Post
You are right, it wasn't a neutral site, it was vastly OSU fans.

Just like when they played UC at PBS. It was full of ohio state fans.

Would love to see OSU visit Nippert and play the bearcats and have UC pack the joint and HOPEFULLY not sell their tix to OSU fans, especially those two blowhards who think they are God's gift to the team
Old 12-11-18, 08:49 AM
All World

Quote:
You are right, it wasn't a neutral site, it was vastly OSU fans.

Just like when they played UC at PBS. It was full of ohio state fans.

Would love to see OSU visit Nippert and play the bearcats and have UC pack the joint and HOPEFULLY not sell their tix to OSU fans, especially those two blowhards who think they are God's gift to the team
The game was in Texas correct ?The T in TCU stands for Texas correct? TCU did agree to move the game to JJ world instead of playing at their own stadium correct. It is not OSU's fault that TCU fans did not travel 30 mins. to watch their own team play OSU. I would like Alabama or any SEC team play OSU at a "neutral" stadium such as PBS. But do have a Merry Christmas.

Last edited by Stirred not Shaken; 12-11-18 at 09:09 AM..
Old 12-11-18, 09:07 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by m14brian View Post
And lose way more then they would think or like. They donít schedule BIG10, because they know it is a tough game and they would rather concentrate on the tough games for SEC.
They will continue to play FCS teams late in the season which is complete BS with no push back from SEC ESPN.
This is why the CFP needs to be blown up, schedule a tough non league game and lose, better go undef. in your conference or you have no chance to make the CFP. This is why it is a joke when the " experts " say every game matters in college football, if you're a P5 team and schedule a bunch of non league cupcakes the "committee " does not hold it against a team ( unless you're UCF ) so every game does not matter, if it did the "committee" would punish teams for having a powderpuff non league schedule. That is why the college bball tourney is so much better because it actually does encourage tough non league match ups.