Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Soccer

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-11-18, 06:55 AM
All Region

centercirclechuck is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatneff View Post

As for good referees being assigned to more competitive games, that does happen. The problem here is that most of the better referees are a part of a crew with other good referees. Because of that, 2-3 good referees get assigned to a game instead of being spread out among several games with a good center referee for each game. That means there will be some competitive games that may not have good referees working them if they're being used as a crew for other competitive games, especially on a Saturday.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Everyone says, the "good" referees need to be assigned to the perceived competitive games and everyone wants to be assigned the big #1 vs 2 games, the lesser "quality" of games takes just as much if not more game management skills by a "Referee Team".
Bottom line there should be "Good" Referees on every game.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-18, 06:59 AM
All Region

centercirclechuck is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
Most D3 games in the Dayton area have been using 2 whistle crews for years. Especially as you get more rural. Some of the "bigger" games will get 3 ref crews if possible. I think you are correct that in D1 & D2 the standard is 3 refs. That is what I have seen as well.

I know of a few games that have been cancelled due to lack of officials, even for a 2 whistle crew. The ones I have heard of have been reschedules of rainouts from early September. It seems the games that have been on the schedule since the beginning of the season still have refs assigned. At least that what I have seen & heard around the area.
And what is the logic to D3 soccer is only worthy of 2 referees vs D1 & 2? Same number of players on the pitch. pitch is the same size.
D3 playing by different rules?
Old 10-11-18, 07:08 AM
Freshman

HowardWebb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by centercirclechuck View Post
And what is the logic to D3 soccer is only worthy of 2 referees vs D1 & 2? Same number of players on the pitch. pitch is the same size.

It’s not a difference of divisions, it’s a shortage of referees, also some schools only want to pay for 2 referees.

Ideally, all games that want 3 referees would have them, reality is that’s impossible with current numbers
Old 10-11-18, 08:08 AM
All Ohio

phatneff is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Everyone says, the "good" referees need to be assigned to the perceived competitive games and everyone wants to be assigned the big #1 vs 2 games, the lesser "quality" of games takes just as much if not more game management skills by a "Referee Team".
Bottom line there should be "Good" Referees on every game.
Agreed, Chuck, but we all know that can't happen. Actually, when you think about it, the AR's are just as important as CR's because there is always debate about whether a player should have been called for offside or not. If you can't keep up with the back line, you shouldn't be out there. If coaches were wise, they would notice if the AR can't keep up and have their forwards exploit it and "cheat" a little bit for that advantage.

Bottom line is that there aren't enough quality, in shape referees to cover all positions for all games. It is what it is. Until younger guys step up and become referees, the problem will continue to exist. I'm 45 and I'm considered a "young" ref. That's ridiculous.

Old 10-11-18, 08:59 AM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardWebb View Post
It’s not a difference of divisions, it’s a shortage of referees, also some schools only want to pay for 2 referees.

Ideally, all games that want 3 referees would have them, reality is that’s impossible with current numbers
Bingo
Old 10-11-18, 11:00 AM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatneff View Post
Agreed, Chuck, but we all know that can't happen. Actually, when you think about it, the AR's are just as important as CR's because there is always debate about whether a player should have been called for offside or not. If you can't keep up with the back line, you shouldn't be out there. If coaches were wise, they would notice if the AR can't keep up and have their forwards exploit it and "cheat" a little bit for that advantage.

Bottom line is that there aren't enough quality, in shape referees to cover all positions for all games. It is what it is. Until younger guys step up and become referees, the problem will continue to exist. I'm 45 and I'm considered a "young" ref. That's ridiculous.

47 for me and I’m considered a “youngster”
Old 10-11-18, 11:03 AM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Don't ask me. I don't schedule refs or anything. Just stating what I have seen.
Old 10-11-18, 12:00 PM
All District

hammer89 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardWebb View Post
47 for me and I’m considered a “youngster”
According to data from the OHSAA, the average age for a soccer official in the state is 50. So you have the same chance of having a 70 year old on the game as you do a 30 year old.
Old 10-11-18, 12:37 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer89 View Post
According to data from the OHSAA, the average age for a soccer official in the state is 50. So you have the same chance of having a 70 year old on the game as you do a 30 year old.

That’s not how it works
Old 10-11-18, 07:54 PM
All Yappi

bucksman will become famous soon enough
In most cases, two-man games are either a matter of a lack of officials to cover games, or the schools/league choosing to only have two officials as a matter of cost.

When it comes to cost, let's say a varsity crew is at 60-45-45 (three-man) or 50-50 (two-man), a school has saved 400 dollars assuming eight regular season home games for one gender; depending on your price points, you can do your own math.

If there's a crunch, you're more likely to see three-man for D1/D2 than D2/D3 because of the speed, pace, and physicality of a D1/D2 game is generally greater than in a D2/D3 game.
Old 10-16-18, 10:38 AM
All District

steelboot is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer89 View Post
You can't assume that based on the data that the average age of refs is 50. You need to understand the standard deviation and high and lows (oldest and youngest) to truly understand the probability of having a 30 or 70 year old ref.
Old 10-16-18, 09:07 PM
All Ohio

TheStuff142
The issue with many D3 games probably has something to do with location. A LOT of D3 schools in Ohio are "in the middle of nowhere"...available refs in reasonable driving distance is partly to blame. Not in City's like Cincy, Dayton, Cleveland etc.. but in many areas of the state that could be an additional issue.

2 Man crew in OHSAA playoff games suck. Impossible to have 3 man crews in 1st round games all over the area in all divisions but it still sucks for the kids. Watched game Monday night where the 2 man crew took back an early goal due to offsides..neither were in great position to make the call...watched the video today...not offsides. sour grapes, but what can you do.
Old 10-17-18, 07:26 AM
All Ohio

phatneff is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStuff142 View Post
2 Man crew in OHSAA playoff games suck. Impossible to have 3 man crews in 1st round games all over the area in all divisions but it still sucks for the kids. Watched game Monday night where the 2 man crew took back an early goal due to offsides..neither were in great position to make the call...watched the video today...not offsides. sour grapes, but what can you do.
Not meaning to pick on you, but the player was neither offsides nor was the player not offsides. However, he/she may have been offside or not offside.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: