Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-16-18, 05:05 PM
Freshman

Hogan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagobones View Post
Did not realize Barb Salata was AD at Walsh. Good luck

Thanks, we will need it. We would like to throw her a going away party.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-16-18, 06:50 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagobones View Post
Did not realize Barb Salata was AD at Walsh. Good luck
From what I understand, I'm not sure she's realized it.
Old 10-16-18, 08:35 PM
All Region

Paydirt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaw View Post
Methinks it is the other way around. If/when Walsh decides they do want them, then they shall get them. So let it be written, let it be done, the parochial way. Hoban made a conscious decision, developed a strategy, and put it in place. So could Walsh.
Walsh will never sell their soul the way STVM and Hoban have. They don’t need to and they know it.
Old 10-16-18, 09:13 PM
All Region

Bobby77 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paydirt View Post
Walsh will never sell their soul the way STVM and Hoban have. They don’t need to and they know it.
This is why kids don’t want to attend Walsh. “They don’t need to and they know it”. It has become very obvious that sports are not a priority at Walsh. You can stick to the country club sports and girls soccer. We will gladly “sell our soul” and watch high school football over Thanksgiving.
Old 10-16-18, 09:17 PM
All Region

Quote:
And Walsh sells their soul for girls soccer and did for years in wrestling and baseball. So never is not that long ago and is in the present at Walsh. You may want to get down off your high horse.
Old 10-16-18, 09:18 PM
All Ohio

Redwing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
If "selling your soul" means actually being open to providing a diverse environment, then yeah, Walsh will have no interest.
Old 10-16-18, 09:46 PM
All Region

pcbuck is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwing View Post
If "selling your soul" means actually being open to providing a diverse environment, then yeah, Walsh will have no interest.
What are you talking about? Walsh has a very diverse environment. They’ve got kids of all different kind of doctors there: General surgery, Cardiology, Anesthesia, Neurology, Internal Medicine. It doesn’t get more diverse than that.
Old 10-17-18, 06:03 AM
All Ohio

Cougarfan22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Walsh spent a lot of money lately in upgraded football facilities? Oh I forgot, that was for girls soccer, my bad.
Old 10-17-18, 06:28 AM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I'm not sure "selling their soul" is the way to put it! From simple geography, with STVM and Hoban being urban schools, those schools have historically always had a much larger footprint in Akron than Walsh ever had or cared to have. Walsh got their athletes from a couple of Catholic grade schools and from areas in the northern part of Summit County. Now with CYO football on the decline, and with those athletes who are part of CYO not choosing Walsh as much, AND with the students from the northern part of the county staying home, the talent pool at Walsh is not nearly so deep as it used to be. Walsh is not now in any position to make inroads in Akron because both STVM and Hoban have been there for a century! To me, the choice for them is to try to re-connect with the student populations from northern Summit County or accept its current position as the new normal.
Old 10-17-18, 06:42 AM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby77 View Post
This is why kids don’t want to attend Walsh. “They don’t need to and they know it”. It has become very obvious that sports are not a priority at Walsh. You can stick to the country club sports and girls soccer. We will gladly “sell our soul” and watch high school football over Thanksgiving.
I continually find it amusing how the current crop of Hoban posters on here are SO vastly different than those who were on these boards more than 4-5 years ago. It wasn't that long ago that they were looking down their collective noses at the make-up of the STVM student body. Track down some of those old-timers and ask them if Hoban has "sold their soul"! IMO that's not the case, they are just changing with the times. But some of those Hoban old-timers (if you consider 5 years ago as the "old times") would make the likes of DB look like a Hoban apologist!
Old 10-17-18, 07:15 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
I continually find it amusing how the current crop of Hoban posters on here are SO vastly different than those who were on these boards more than 4-5 years ago. It wasn't that long ago that they were looking down their collective noses at the make-up of the STVM student body. Track down some of those old-timers and ask them if Hoban has "sold their soul"! IMO that's not the case, they are just changing with the times. But some of those Hoban old-timers (if you consider 5 years ago as the "old times") would make the likes of DB look like a Hoban apologist!
I don’t disagree with you that 4-5 years ago and as early as 2-3 years ago some old timers/CYO people were not very inviting. I would tell you that a lot of the old timers that I talk today appreciate what coach T has done and now that they know the kids and have watched them go through Hoban and become what you expect from Hoban, their tone has changed and they are supporting the program. Not to mention Hoban was the laughing stock of the NCL the few years before Coach T showed up. The CYO only mentality didn’t work at Hoban and is not working at Walsh. Old timers at Walsh are sick of the embarrassment their program has become so you might see them start leasing their soul a little.
Old 10-17-18, 07:29 AM
All Region

I think Hoban and SVSM have found a great balance in athletics and education and although many people won’t agree they have not sacrificed their educational principles. Of course someone will dig up a bone of a kid or administrator that failed and paint a picture of a culture that doesn’t exist but so be it. You can find the same at Walsh or any other school for that matter.

Irish, don’t take my post as trying to high horse or patronize Walsh, I want to see all catholic schools succeed. This is all cyclical and history repeats.
Old 10-17-18, 07:31 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I'm not sure "selling their soul" is the way to put it! From simple geography, with STVM and Hoban being urban schools, those schools have historically always had a much larger footprint in Akron than Walsh ever had or cared to have. Walsh got their athletes from a couple of Catholic grade schools and from areas in the northern part of Summit County. Now with CYO football on the decline, and with those athletes who are part of CYO not choosing Walsh as much, AND with the students from the northern part of the county staying home, the talent pool at Walsh is not nearly so deep as it used to be. Walsh is not now in any position to make inroads in Akron because both STVM and Hoban have been there for a century! To me, the choice for them is to try to re-connect with the student populations from northern Summit County or accept its current position as the new normal.
Thank you for bringing some rational thought to this p!$$ing contest.

Last edited by clarkgriswold; 10-17-18 at 07:43 AM.
Old 10-17-18, 07:39 AM
All District

Copley King is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
thanks you for bringing some rational thought to this p!$$ing contest.
👏
Old 10-17-18, 07:43 AM
All Yappi

Quote:

I specifically remember some of the Hoban folk rambling about SVSM being a "pay to go public school", mumbling about the "school's makeup" and arrogantly bloviating about how Hoban would "never do that." Now that they've reached out, the tone has dramatically changed.

Walsh has tried over the years to increase diversity. At times, they've had an employee dedicated to it. Clearly, they could be more diverse, but those who think the effort hasn't been made are ill informed and don't realize the impact geography has on the issue.
Old 10-17-18, 02:34 PM
Freshman

reganaustinjames is on a distinguished road
Having been a student at Walsh for four years and, from a first-hand standpoint, seeing the egregious amount of arrogance and hubris that place had (not just athletically, but in most areas of life), there would be no greater comeuppance for that school than having no choice to "accept its current position as the new normal," which, given demographic shifts, appears more likely than not.
Old 10-17-18, 07:51 PM
All World

StarstoShine is on a distinguished road
Everyone has an opinion on this discussion few are at the grass roots level and witness what is really transpiring. WJ is a outstanding academic institution and draws much of their students from the northern suburbs both at the public and CYO Level. Limited scholarships and high academic standards. STVM is also following the WJ model with a renewed focus on academic development and excellent participation in STEM program, Music Program (nearly a 100 member Private school band) Rocket & Robotic programs UN Goverment, Mock Trial Teams and Irish Dancers. You will continue to send this trend with a emphasis on academics for both schools. CYO is working hard to redevelop their football programs beginning with the 7 man 4th & 5th Rookie tackle program. Everyone on here has an opinion but very few are truly in the mix and see what is really changing on the landscape. Walsh has done an outstanding job upgrading their facilities with a very nice press box and restrooms. Walsh also upgraded their weight training room. STVM also offers great facilities with a very nice Football stadium and the LBJ Basketball arena. The Irish will need to add new equipment to their weight training program.

Last edited by StarstoShine; 10-17-18 at 08:23 PM.
Old 10-17-18, 08:08 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfan22 View Post
Walsh spent a lot of money lately in upgraded football facilities? Oh I forgot, that was for girls soccer, my bad.
Walsh did upgrade their football facilities. The soccer teams don’t play at the football stadium though.
Old 10-17-18, 08:11 PM
All Region

hoban2020 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by reganaustinjames View Post
Having been a student at Walsh for four years and, from a first-hand standpoint, seeing the egregious amount of arrogance and hubris that place had (not just athletically, but in most areas of life), there would be no greater comeuppance for that school than having no choice to "accept its current position as the new normal," which, given demographic shifts, appears more likely than not.

“Egregious amount of arrogance and hubris”, my favorite Yappi quote in a long time - and coming from a Walsh alum, at that.

During my kids’ time at Hoban, I’ve gone from really not being able to stand Walsh because of your quote above - and because they were either good or really good in most sports - to feeling sorry for Walsh in football and they’re just another opponent in all other sports. And they were rightly or wrongly perceived as “the rich kids”. While I’m sure the socio economic demographics haven’t changed much, Walsh kids’ attitude just seem different the last few years.

I don’t know when exactly it changed, but many of the recent Hoban-Walsh boys basketball games in the past 5-7 years were highly exciting barn-burners, complete with student sections cheering and chanting at each other all game long. In the last 2 years, it really seems like all of the school spirit has been drained out of the Walsh student body.

I want to say in 2015-2016, when Walsh had an 18-19 win boys basketball team with almost all seniors - that was the most exciting high school basketball game I had ever been at. The next year Walsh was horrible and Hoban won by like 30+ each time and there was zero energy in the building.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-17-18, 08:23 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbuck View Post
Walsh did upgrade their football facilities. The soccer teams don’t play at the football stadium though.
Shame they would probably draw more at the gate
Old 10-17-18, 08:29 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarstoShine View Post
Everyone has an opinion on this discussion few are at the grass roots level and witness what is really transpiring. WJ is a outstanding academic institution and draws much of their students from the northern suburbs both at the public and CYO Level. Limited scholarships and high academic standards. STVM is also following the WJ model with a renewed focus on academic development and excellent participation in STEM program, Music Program (nearly a 100 member Private school band) Rocket & Robotic programs UN Goverment, Mock Trial Teams and Irish Dancers. You will continue to send this trend with a emphasis on academics for both schools. CYO is working hard to redevelop their football programs beginning with the 7 man 4th & 5th Rookie tackle program. Everyone on here has an opinion but very few are truly in the mix and see what is really changing on the landscape. Walsh has done an outstanding job upgrading their facilities with a very nice press box and restrooms. Walsh also upgraded their weight training room. STVM also offers great facilities with a very nice Football stadium and the LBJ Basketball arena. The Irish will need to add new equipment to their weight training program.
So if St V is following the WJ “Model” can we expect some 0-10 football seasons and below average hoops? But Band, dance and women’s soccer will be thriving? I think not, but thanks for the laugh
Old 10-17-18, 09:06 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfan22 View Post
Shame they would probably draw more at the gate
They’ve won 10 state championships in 17 years so it wouldn’t surprise me.
Old 10-17-18, 10:12 PM
Varsity

NeoFB18 is on a distinguished road
Amazing how far Walsh has sunk. Good synopsis of all the problems that have created this monster.
Old 10-17-18, 10:50 PM
All Ohio

I know a lot changes over 4 years of HS football, but it's interesting that the only game the current senior class at Hoban lost as freshman was to Walsh, and it wasn't close.
Old 10-19-18, 07:22 PM
All Region

akronoldie is on a distinguished road
Where did Walsh get their announcers?
Old 10-19-18, 07:24 PM
All American

dougp66 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by akronoldie View Post
Where did Walsh get their announcers?
score?
Old 10-19-18, 07:26 PM
All Region

Hoban 28-6 at halftime.
Old 10-19-18, 07:44 PM
All Ohio

JimmyOhio75 is an unknown quantity at this point
What happened to the live stream? Seems they lost the picture.
Old 10-19-18, 07:51 PM
All Region

They said that they lost the video because it was raining. The man announcer is a teacher at Walsh and it terribly boring. The “color man” sounds like Kermit the Frog.
Old 10-19-18, 09:20 PM
All Ohio

Have you ever heard a HS live stream that was any good?

That was the worst game Hoban has played since the last time they went to Walsh 2 years ago when it was 0-0 at half. I was told practice was sluggish and quiet all week, and it showed. I figured it might be a week where staying mentally sharp would be a challenge.