Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-01-18, 02:49 PM
All Yappi

frecriss is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
Thus, a transfer...
So we should go through the St. V roster and announce the 100% transfers they have?
Old 10-01-18, 04:05 PM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by frecriss View Post
So we should go through the St. V roster and announce the 100% transfers they have?
Knock yourself out! But if they go to STVM as freshmen, then they aren't transfers. It's not a difficult concept!
Old 10-01-18, 04:36 PM
All Ohio

smash mouth 34
Barberton RB is a sophomore? Dang, that kid is a monster.
Old 10-01-18, 06:07 PM
All Region

Bobby77 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Thus, a transfer...
You should know by now that when a kid transfers from a private school to a public school then there are no rules. The public schools have rights at birth that shall not be broken!!!!

This kid is the real deal though. I remember watching him at his first high school he went to and he is special. This was before he transferred to his birthright school.

Does he have to sit out the second half of the year?
Old 10-01-18, 06:12 PM
All American

CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
So why are so many athletes leaving SVSM?
Old 10-01-18, 06:28 PM
All Ohio

Cougarfan22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
I would say lack of stability, 3 coaches in less than 4 years while your rival is on the best run in school history.
Old 10-01-18, 08:43 PM
All Region

Bobby77 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
The cold hard truth is that some kids do not want the academic part of a college prep school. They are under the impression that these are “football” schools or “basketball” schools and have a rude awakening with the homework requirement and grading scale. Some make it and some do not. Most of the educators in these schools are there for just that and could care less how good you are at a sport. These kids don’t stand out like they did in eighth grade and they have to study (a lot). The combination weeds out the weak. Most of the scholarship athletes that have come out of Hoban the past three years have also been honor students and it goes for the 2019 class as well.
Old 10-01-18, 09:38 PM
All American

CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby77 View Post
The cold hard truth is that some kids do not want the academic part of a college prep school. They are under the impression that these are “football” schools or “basketball” schools and have a rude awakening with the homework requirement and grading scale. Some make it and some do not. Most of the educators in these schools are there for just that and could care less how good you are at a sport. These kids don’t stand out like they did in eighth grade and they have to study (a lot). The combination weeds out the weak. Most of the scholarship athletes that have come out of Hoban the past three years have also been honor students and it goes for the 2019 class as well.
I know they do get a lot of homework there at SVSM. My sibling attended SVSM. She got at least 3-4 hours of homework a night, whereas I got 1-2. We both took some of our classes at the same time (due to the track differences between our respective schools), and in those classes, it seemed like we were progressing through the same material at the same time. So I really don't know what is the most optimal amount of homework per night.

There are some schools of thought that insist that a teenager should be spending basically like every waking moment doing schoolwork. And there are other schools of thought that insist that kids should have 30 minutes of homework tops (basically just reps of math problems), sprinkled with the occasional larger assignment. Basically the later seeks to give kids time to be kids still. I don't pretend I know the solution, but I don't suppose the best fit varies from child to child. At the end of the day, I feel like regardless of your background, college is still sink or swim. Both me and my sister are engineering majors with a roughly 3.0 gpa, so Id say we are both swimming. At any rate as far as I can tell, no high school public or private has much in common with the freedom and flexibility college offers, or imposes, depending on how you look at it.
Old 10-01-18, 09:47 PM
All Ohio

Redwing is on a distinguished road
At Hoban, the homework seems to be at it's peak level during your soph and junior year. I was always amazed how late my kids would be up most nights getting their work done. Nervous times for the football coaches, as the 1st quarter is about to come to an end, and there's always a key player or two on the bubble of eligibility.
Old 10-02-18, 04:37 AM
All Region

fromthe3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Congrats to Barberton by the way. I thought they'd really dropped off as I was told last year's squad was a once in a generation team, but they've really kept the ball rolling.
Agree I thought Barberton's team was last year was generational but it looks like Gotto is building a program. I am surprised. I thought they were done after last year. Congrats to Barberton! Keep your kids from St V and Hoban
Old 10-02-18, 04:49 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarstoShine View Post
1. Hoban 2. Barberton 3. Akron East 4. Nordonia 5. CVCA 6. STVM 7. Mogadore 8. Ellet 9. Buchtel 10. Revere. Barberton on the rise with 6-2 208 sophomore RB Kyree Young (STVM Transfer) who has eclipsed the 1000 yard rushing mark after 6 games. STVM transfers going dancing to the playoffs East (3) Barberton (2) Canton Mckinely (1) Ravenna (1).
Ellet does not belong in the top 10. Bucthel should be in front of Ellet

Ellet will lose there next 3 games (Barberton, Buchtel, and East by an average of 20 points)

Tallmadge beat Ellet. Ellet lost to Tallmadge similar to Buchtel losing to Avon. Buchtel pounded Woodridge. Woodridge played Ravenna tougher then Tallmadge did.

Stow and Hudson would beat Ellet. Nordonia pounded Woodridge. Nordonia barely beat Stow

If Ellet or Mogadore played the schedule Stow and Hudson did, they both would have 0 wins
Old 10-02-18, 05:45 AM
Varsity

Warriorviking is on a distinguished road
Wow that just tells you how bad mogadore is if they played a d2 teams schedule they would have zero wins. I would hope a d2 team playing the same schedule as a d6 team would have more wins than the d6 team good gosh.
Old 10-02-18, 07:51 AM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfan22 View Post
I would say lack of stability, 3 coaches in less than 4 years while your rival is on the best run in school history.
I'm not sure I'd agree that I'd call it lack of stability. You didn't see a ton of transfers after Boarman retired. That was a pretty seamless transition from him to Coach Wattley. However, when Wattley left that DID mark a big change in the program that led some players to leave. Also, the football team lost a number of players because of the basketball team. The Irish receiving corps, for example, took a big hit because of players who left because they didn't see themselves getting a lot of playing time on the basketball court. For all those who left, all I can say is good luck and I hope they are happy with their decisions.
Old 10-02-18, 08:08 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromthe3 View Post

Ellet will lose there next 3 games (Barberton, Buchtel, and East by an average of 20 points)

Tallmadge beat Ellet. Ellet lost to Tallmadge similar to Buchtel losing to Avon. Buchtel pounded Woodridge. Woodridge played Ravenna tougher then Tallmadge did.

Stow and Hudson would beat Ellet. Nordonia pounded Woodridge. Nordonia barely beat Stow

If Ellet or Mogadore played the schedule Stow and Hudson did, they both would have 0 wins
I wouldn't be too quick with that last statement given that Stow has Brecksville, Cuyahoga Falls and North Royalton on the schedule.
Old 10-02-18, 08:10 AM
All District

Lysdexic04 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirestoneFan View Post
Mogadore will do that.
Mogadore is in the wrong region.
Old 10-02-18, 08:25 AM
All Ohio

Cougarfan22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'm not sure I'd agree that I'd call it lack of stability. You didn't see a ton of transfers after Boarman retired. That was a pretty seamless transition from him to Coach Wattley. However, when Wattley left that DID mark a big change in the program that led some players to leave. Also, the football team lost a number of players because of the basketball team. The Irish receiving corps, for example, took a big hit because of players who left because they didn't see themselves getting a lot of playing time on the basketball court. For all those who left, all I can say is good luck and I hope they are happy with their decisions.
That’s why I said 3-4 years. Transfers occurred between Wattley and Current Head coach. Basketball and football are tied together. Your best basketball players are typically some of your best football players. The skill set it takes to play round ball translates very well to the pigskin. I would say Hoban’s starting 5 will be 4 football starters and 1 pure BB player. St V typically has 4-5 football players on team with maybe 1 player starting
Old 10-02-18, 08:37 AM
All American

Orangeman89
Quote:

Be careful, you could be right but you may end up looking foolish.
Old 10-03-18, 04:25 AM
All Region

Quote:
I wouldn't be too quick with that last statement given that Stow has Brecksville, Cuyahoga Falls and North Royalton on the schedule.
North Royalton would win easily vs Ellet.

North Royalton lost to Highland by 2 and Twinsburg by 7.

Ellet lost to Tallmadge by 6. Tallmadge beat Kent by 16. Highland beat Kent by 40.

Ellet and Norton evenly matched. They both have weak schedules and beat KG, Field, and Springfield by the same amount.

Norton beat Falls 13-6. So Ellet and Falls would be a good game.

My best argument for Brecksville is that they lost to Twinsburg by 15. Twinsburg beat Copley by 21 and I think Copley and Tallmadge will be a close game this week.

Brecksville and Ellet would be a good game (within two tds).
Old 10-03-18, 04:40 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warriorviking View Post
Wow that just tells you how bad mogadore is if they played a d2 teams schedule they would have zero wins. I would hope a d2 team playing the same schedule as a d6 team would have more wins than the d6 team good gosh.
The reason I compared Mogadore to Stow is because Starstoshine and many others before have ranked Mogadore above teams like Stow, Hudson, and Buchtel.

They rank Mogadore above these teams based on record but if Mogadore played their schedules they would have a worse recored then Stow, Hudson, and Buchtel.

This happens every year. People ranking Manchester and Mogadore above teams because Manchester and Mogadore have better records.

There are top level d1 and d2 teams in Northeast Ohio and Hudson, Stow, and Buchtel play them.

There are very view top level d5 and d6 teams in this area. If Mogadore played in the MAC (top level small schools), they would be at the bottom of the league.
Old 10-03-18, 07:01 AM
All Ohio

bass10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
The reason I compared Mogadore to Stow is because Starstoshine and many others before have ranked Mogadore above teams like Stow, Hudson, and Buchtel.

They rank Mogadore above these teams based on record but if Mogadore played their schedules they would have a worse recored then Stow, Hudson, and Buchtel.

This happens every year. People ranking Manchester and Mogadore above teams because Manchester and Mogadore have better records.

There are top level d1 and d2 teams in Northeast Ohio and Hudson, Stow, and Buchtel play them.

There are very view top level d5 and d6 teams in this area. If Mogadore played in the MAC (top level small schools), they would be at the bottom of the league.
Its a top 10 based on their division of play, Moggy is a top 10 versus their competition and Stow maybe not?
Old 10-03-18, 07:30 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:

Exactly. And we have the same arguments every year. I guess that's the beauty of there being no rules and it being subjective.
Old 10-03-18, 08:44 AM
All American

Orangeman89
Quote:
North Royalton would win easily vs Ellet.

North Royalton lost to Highland by 2 and Twinsburg by 7.

Ellet lost to Tallmadge by 6. Tallmadge beat Kent by 16. Highland beat Kent by 40.

Ellet and Norton evenly matched. They both have weak schedules and beat KG, Field, and Springfield by the same amount.

Norton beat Falls 13-6. So Ellet and Falls would be a good game.

My best argument for Brecksville is that they lost to Twinsburg by 15. Twinsburg beat Copley by 21 and I think Copley and Tallmadge will be a close game this week.

Brecksville and Ellet would be a good game (within two tds).
Worst post ever.
Anybody knowledgeable about football knows you dont use comparative scores to judge a team. Blue Devil fans tell me Ellet was 2 TD's better but kept shooting themselves in the foot that night.

Nobody knows how good Ellet is based on their soft schedule but my guess is a little better than they are getting credit for.
Does that mean they win any of their next three games? No, but being competitive and maybe winning one wouldn't shock me either.
Old 10-03-18, 06:47 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass10 View Post
Its a top 10 based on their division of play, Moggy is a top 10 versus their competition and Stow maybe not?
I thought this was a top 10 in summit county regardless of division.
Old 10-03-18, 06:54 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I thought this was a top 10 in summit county regardless of division.
I did something like that last year, where we seeded the teams and did a mythical playoff. That would be a little bit of a waste of time this year!
Old 10-03-18, 07:18 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeman89 View Post
Worst post ever.
Anybody knowledgeable about football knows you dont use comparative scores to judge a team. Blue Devil fans tell me Ellet was 2 TD's better but kept shooting themselves in the foot that night.

Nobody knows how good Ellet is based on their soft schedule but my guess is a little better than they are getting credit for.
Does that mean they win any of their next three games? No, but being competitive and maybe winning one wouldn't shock me either.
The best way to compare teams is by who they play/beat and how they play them.

This is how they rank teams in college and high school/computer points.

We cant go to every game, cant breakdown every film, or see every box score with yards. So the best way we can evaluate teams is how they play each other especially comparable opponents. That is how Vamp and Drew Pasteur do it.

I saw Tallmadge against Coventry. The game was closer then the score. Tallmadge didnt beat Ellet by that much because that is who they are not that consistent and not that great.

How do you compare teams?
Old 10-03-18, 07:19 PM
All Region

Quote:
I did something like that last year, where we seeded the teams and did a mythical playoff. That would be a little bit of a waste of time this year!
It was not based on division
Old 10-03-18, 07:51 PM
All Region

I like doing rankings.

My point is have a logical reason behind your rankings.

Going back to where I started with startoshine's rankings, he also had Ellet in the top ten and not Tallmadge.

That doesn't make sense to me when Tallmadge beat them and Ellet hasn't beat anyone good.

So if Startoshine wants to explain his logic...maybe I will learn something from him.
Old 10-03-18, 08:43 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeman89 View Post
Worst post ever.

Looks like my method and knowledge of football is pretty pathetic.

Lets who has the most points at the end of the year.

Orangeman89- 12- 66
frankie- 12- 66
fromthe3- 9- 65
Old 10-04-18, 11:03 AM
All American

Orangeman89
Quote:
Looks like my method and knowledge of football is pretty pathetic.

Lets who has the most points at the end of the year.

Orangeman89- 12- 66
frankie- 12- 66
fromthe3- 9- 65
Are you 12 or what?
Old 10-04-18, 11:43 AM
Junior Varsity

buchtalgriffs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfan22 View Post
Your best basketball players are typically some of your best football players. The skill set it takes to play round ball translates very well to the pigskin. I would say Hoban’s starting 5 will be 4 football starters and 1 pure BB player. St V typically has 4-5 football players on team with maybe 1 player starting
Moeg is not going to be a basketball starter?

Are you penciling in the St. Ed's kid as a basketball starter?